Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

5 minutes ago, seven said:

"Loot Respawn Time" is still an option in the Advanced tab, defaulting to 7 days. So, assuming that's really there and not something tfp forgot to remove, loot still respawns.

Fingers crossed then! I'm wondering if that will cause containers that self-destruct to respawn as well, or if that still requires chunk/quest reset.

3 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

Fingers crossed then! I'm wondering if that will cause containers that self-destruct to respawn as well, or if that still requires chunk/quest reset.

I think I recall when asked about this in a dev stream they said a container that poofs stays gone unless there is a POI or chunkreset, but I may be mistaken. I'm less concerned about those though.

8 hours ago, Doomofman said:

The overlap is definitely still there. The example I saw was a Q5 Wood Club was better than a Q1 Bat, by like 4 damage points or so

Saw Q5 Stone Sledge vs Q1 Iron Sledge too, Stone was slightly better again but it was much closer than club/bat

Was both of them unmoded?

I would prefer if without the mods T2 Q1 would be better than T1 Q6, but if you add 2+ mods to T1 Q4-6 then that weapon would be slightly better with added damage/bonuses from mods compared to T2 Q1/2 without any mods attached. 

21 minutes ago, seven said:

"Loot Respawn Time" is still an option in the Advanced tab, defaulting to 7 days. So, assuming that's really there and not something tfp forgot to remove, loot still respawns.

Hopefully that is the case.  It wasn't clear from the dev stream.  I really don't care about the trash type containers but things like chests, bookshelves, crates, cabinets, etc. are what I'd be concerned about.

31 minutes ago, Riamus said:

As Old Crow said, loot respawned in POI just like it does anywhere in the world as long as no player has been near it within the respawn time period.  You can rerun a POI a week later (less, but I don't know the exact time) and loot everything again.  In fact, if you left something in a container the first time around, when you go back, you can loot that and then wait a second and the container will update to the respawned loot, saying it had not yet been checked and you'll be able to loot it again.  It is like leaving paper in a mailbox... when you go back a week later, it'll still have that paper in it.  If you loot the paper and wait a second, it will change back to unlooted tooltip and when you loot it again, you'll get a new set of loot.  Leaving something in the container doesn't make it so you can loot it again but it hides that it can be looted again because it still shows the old loot.  That may be why you think it doesn't change, if you are leaving some loot that you don't want in containers.  So, yes, it's a change.

This isn't a change. I've been able to do this since A16. Leave a piece of paper or something in a loot container; go back after loot respawn (from the game settings); take the paper, and watch the container respawn all its loot when you open that container again.

Maybe you could describe that as a bug that hasn't been fixed for ages - and I'd agree. But it's not a new bug.

I thought this was related to the "chunk reset" setting. If that is enabled, and if TFP set it to a fairly short period of time, then this will override the "loot respawn" setting. It's something TFP might want to look at. But your description does not sound like it's related.

22 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

This isn't a change. I've been able to do this since A16. Leave a piece of paper or something in a loot container; go back after loot respawn (from the game settings); take the paper, and watch the container respawn all its loot when you open that container again.

Maybe you could describe that as a bug that hasn't been fixed for ages - and I'd agree. But it's not a new bug.

I thought this was related to the "chunk reset" setting. If that is enabled, and if TFP set it to a fairly short period of time, then this will override the "loot respawn" setting. It's something TFP might want to look at. But your description does not sound like it's related.

I just pointed out that thing with the loot hiding that it has reset.  The point was that loot did respawn, not just zombies.  And that didn't require a quest reset to do so.  You had said that zombies respawned but loot didn't without resetting the POI.  I mentioned the leftover loot staying there as a possible reason why you might think it didn't respawn.  If that's not the case, then it isn't anything to consider.  The main thing is that in A20, loot respawns even in a POI without any reset of the POI for a quest.  With the new changes, if all containers no longer respawn loot rather than only containers that disappear not respawning loot (this isn't clear in the dev stream), then you couldn't reloot a POI when running it again unless you used a quest to reset it.  Now, if loot still respawns in containers that don't get destroyed, then this isn't a big deal.  Trash bags and similar loot containers aren't as big of a deal if you can't loot them again when running a POI again.  But if containers like crates and chests and stuff also do not respawn, then that isn't good.  Again, it wasn't clear in the dev stream, so it may not be an issue at all.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

A21 is great.

But I'm disappointed by the water survival changes. Haven't seen anyone in the streams struggle for water, even just a bit, in the first few days.

This part of A21 was kind of underwhelming. I expected better "water survival" and I see a change that will only achieve to remove empty jars from the inventory.

It was intended to make water an issue again, at least in the first days/week, but it missed the mark in my opinion.

I hope they'll do a balance pass during experimental, and lower how much murky water or drinks you find in loot.

Does anyone else feel like that? :confused2:

33 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

A21 is great.

But I'm disappointed by the water survival changes. Haven't seen anyone in the streams struggle for water, even just a bit, in the first few days.

This part of A21 was kind of underwhelming. I expected better "water survival" and I see a change that will only achieve to remove empty jars from the inventory.

It was intended to make water an issue again, at least in the first days/week, but it missed the mark in my opinion.

I hope they'll do a balance pass during experimental, and lower how much murky water or drinks you find in loot.

I take it you've been watching... less casual streamers?

I watched jawoodle, guns nerds and steel, and khaine and they all seemed to be struggling a bit with food and water. Buuut they are definitely not... the best at the game, let's say.
I think for the casual player it makes it more difficult. For those of us who are very experienced I think it will just take a little bit of adaptation and we won't struggle at all.

25 minutes ago, Gronal said:

I take it you've been watching... less casual streamers?

I watched jawoodle, guns nerds and steel, and khaine and they all seemed to be struggling a bit with food and water. Buuut they are definitely not... the best at the game, let's say.
I think for the casual player it makes it more difficult. For those of us who are very experienced I think it will just take a little bit of adaptation and we won't struggle at all.

No, I actually was watching pretty casual streamers that don't play the game too often.

They just need to do POI quests and loot everything, and they'll get enough water to not have any problems.

It doesn't take a genius to do that lol

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

I think it depends a lot on your play style. I've seen streamers who were questing a lot and streamers who were more casual looters and mostly just wandering around. The second group struggled a lot more.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

14 hours ago, faatal said:

A21 RWG time on an AMD 7950x, 64GB RAM, g4 NVME with default settings is:

4k 0:50.

6k 1:50.
8k 1:56.
10k 4:16.

You will get a fairly big pause at "Smoothing street tiles", but it is still working. Times do vary some with seed.

Holy crap, look at those times. Excellent work and thank you for breaking it down so specifically.

this is great news, I can generate a world while we all get into discord.

One thing I've noticed is that the loot boost you get from the Perks doesn't seem to be as subtle as it's always been said. It's always been said that it's mainly a safety net so that you're guaranteed to find magazines and parts that fit your specialization, but the differences are very clear.

This is good for single player but in co-op it could be a disadvantage.

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

I've done 2 short runs so far. 1 solo prestream, the first quest reward was a stack of 10 waters, by day 3 I can build the dew collector. Not much struggle. The second was onstream with my partner and we've been surviving on drinks from the vending machine. Day 4 nowhere near being able to build a water collector. Just enough struggle for it to be a concern, with no surplus. Which is pretty much how it was described when the removal of the jars thing first came up. 

It's a small sample size but RNG seems to play a pretty big role in whether or not water is an issue. Food on the other hand...

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I always thought that the game was balanced towards Co-Op so dealing with multiple survivors working together.  So a single player who only has to watch out for themselves would not struggle as much under default settings as a group of 4+.

One of the purposes why streamers are few hours ahead of us is not only to give some feedback about bugs, just before public release (remember why it is called experimental) , but also balance, as we`ve seen it in many alphas before. 

For so far this release is rock solid, in a proper way to gold version. 

Also, thank you all of you streamers, who read this forum (and for some reason stay quiet here), keep up the good work. 

14 hours ago, khzmusik said:

I was watching a few streamers today. It looks like the answer for most containers is "no." Once you loot a container, it no longer has an inventory so you can't put anything into it.

I definitely do not like this change. For example, I always choose a home base with a lootable fridge in it, since I like the "realism" of keeping food in a refrigerator.

Players have been able to craft those cupboards and cabinets. I wonder if those blocks still work in A21. Folks who like to renovate houses tend to use those blocks.

20 minutes ago, Scarman422 said:

So, when A21 stable comes out, will we all have to start a new world? Can't wait to play it but if we are going to lose our progress in 20-30 days after experimental release, i'm rather wait for the stable version instead 

I think I only recall one jump from experimental to stable that required a new map.

Could be mistaken, though.

1 hour ago, Laran Mithras said:

I think I only recall one jump from experimental to stable that required a new map.

Could be mistaken, though.

Yeah, in the last couple of Alpha's i've kept playing my experimental save after Stable dropped with no issues.

I would expect it to be the same now.