Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

The updated Trader placement protected area of 3 meters in a21.1 makes me feel very uncomfortable. The nearby area is damaged and cannot be filled back, which makes me feel very uncomfortable. The lack of a space on the flat ground makes me sick.

8 hours ago, jenniann said:

Since starting a new game in the latest experimental, in our co-op and single player game we are not getting Air Drops at all. We took all mods out and started a new game and still same thing. Anyone else having this issue?

Yeah it's not working for me either. I put in a bug report using the red banner at the top.

2 hours ago, NekoPawtato said:

Yeah it's not working for me either. I put in a bug report using the red banner at the top.

Same for me... new game, no air drops though it's set for daily.  Thanks for putting in the report.

1 hour ago, meilodasreh said:

a bit more contrast or different placing for the "time until finished" numbers on the crafting cue would be nice.

These are really hard to figure out sometimes.

image.png.54dc3770ee966403aca4d160793df207.png

Yea please! Or maybe move the craft time above/below the box/slot? Anything will do. Please please please!

1 hour ago, meilodasreh said:

a bit more contrast or different placing for the "time until finished" numbers on the crafting cue would be nice.

These are really hard to figure out sometimes.

image.png.54dc3770ee966403aca4d160793df207.png

Black border around the shape of the numbers would make them readable in all situations

8 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

Good Day TFP's

When are we going to get other issues fix as Missing shape and Color running in the Proper direction.

When Using 2 different Wedge ... Wedge 60 and Wedge Narrow this is What you get when Painting.

Love the game ... But just getting a little tired of trying get make things work. It's Been too Long since we have had any build issues fixed.

Thank You for a Great Game ... The OldGamer 😌

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2023.07.22 - 10.21.20.85.png

Maybe make a bug report

It seems that frames are acting as solids now; I'm not able to shoot or melee through them anymore.  Wondering if that is intended as I didn't see that in the notes

edit:

so I just went back into the game and I see now that arrows are going through (at least the cube frame), but melee is still just attacking the block.  Earlier I was using the ramp frame which didn't allow either attack

Edited by Dreyseth
new info (see edit history)

I just noticed there was a new experimental build. I just read through the changes.

Can anyone explain what this means exactly?

• Trader area calculations are done dynamically 

EDIT: Also is it my imagination, or have a lot of the sounds been changed again? Example being the looting sound for birds' nests.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

3 hours ago, khzmusik said:

EDIT: Also is it my imagination, or have a lot of the sounds been changed again? Example being the looting sound for birds' nests.

The patch notes mentioned the open, close and destroy sounds for the nests were changed, probably because people were commenting on it sounding like breaking wood.  I didn't see anything about other sounds.  I'm skipping this round of experimental as A21.1 doesn't sound like it really does anything to fix the more glaring A21 bugs.  So I haven't seen what is changed other than glancing through the patch notes.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

3 hours ago, khzmusik said:

snip]

Sounds definitely changed! Birds nests, but also the small indoor trash cans, and some other containers, and I think there's a new sound for when you loot all vs taking items out via shift clicking. it isn't just the block closing sound anymore, there's like a sort of... I don't know how to explain it but there's definitely another sound in there somewhere. I for one love the new change, the breaking wood block sound for birds nests after they disappear was quite jarring. I think the new sounds are great! A bit to get used to, but great!

Are more people having problems with the buttons not working in Fort Camo and the Shotgun Messiah factory (and maybe more PIO's)?

I'm playing the factory right now and like with Fort Camo, I see the buttons, but they do nothing, but one seems to operate a door and the next one is I'm guessing for stopping the fire.

Edited by Aero (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Aero said:

Are more people having problems with the buttons not working in Fort Camo and the Shotgun Messiah factory (and maybe more PIO's)?

I'm playing the factory right now and like with Fort Camo, I see the buttons, but they do nothing, but one seems to operate a door and the next one is I'm guessing for stopping the fire.

There is a known bug that can happen in POIs but doesn't always happen.  It is related to POIs that have a Restore Power quest as a quest type even though you're doing a different quest type at the POI.  The temporary workaround until they fix the problem is to destroy the broken button or the generator that is near the broken button and the door will open or the gas will shut off or whatever the button controls will happen.  Unfortunately, the buttons have a lot of HP.  Just be sure not to destroy the block holding the button because a button that just falls and breaks won't trigger the door.

35 minutes ago, Riamus said:

There is a known bug that can happen in POIs but doesn't always happen.  It is related to POIs that have a Restore Power quest as a quest type even though you're doing a different quest type at the POI.  The temporary workaround until they fix the problem is to destroy the broken button or the generator that is near the broken button and the door will open or the gas will shut off or whatever the button controls will happen.  Unfortunately, the buttons have a lot of HP.  Just be sure not to destroy the block holding the button because a button that just falls and breaks won't trigger the door.

Yeah, did that the first time, because destroying the block was a lot faster, but nothing happened. Then I read somewhere else that you really need to destroy the actual button.

But that comment was from someone well over a month ago, even before stable was out. Strange that this is still not fixed. Maybe with 21.1 that's coming out (but I don't think I see it mentioned in the Fixed part).

1 minute ago, Aero said:

Yeah, did that the first time, because destroying the block was a lot faster, but nothing happened. Then I read somewhere else that you really need to destroy the actual button.

But that comment was from someone well over a month ago, even before stable was out. Strange that this is still not fixed. Maybe with 21.1 that's coming out (but I don't think I see it mentioned in the Fixed part).

I think they are having trouble finding the problem.  I didn't see it mentioned for A21.1 either, so it's probably still a problem.

2 hours ago, Aero said:

I had a problem with the Fort Camo button. Recently, I ran the POI again and the button worked.

14 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I think they are having trouble finding the problem.  I didn't see it mentioned for A21.1 either, so it's probably still a problem.

It does not seem to occur every time and is therefore probably difficult to diagnose.

I once had the button not working problem with the shotgun messiah factory in .0 stable. And I couldn't get it finished too (was a clear quest).

I thought I had found all the new volumes (e.g. the cop at the little car entrance security checkpoint), but I didn't even get the yellow indicator, so I was supposedly missing another at least 2.

But I booked both incidents to bugged questing because the quest was moved over from experimental to .0 stable.

After double checking that thing inside out, I just got the main loot and call it a failed quest.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:05 PM, meganoth said:

Maybe make a bug report

It Is NOT A BUG ... just incomplete design of working parts in game ... If Blocks are turned 1 way - they paint one direction and if you turn that same block, it will paint a different direction ... This has Been going on for years and nothing has been done about it. ... I know it is just a Game, but it should work as designed and we have been missing blocks parts as in outside and inside corners for some shapes for so long is another thing ... (To be Honest, I think we are missing More Outside Corners for many of the shapes than inside corners)

Building is one of the things That makes the game enjoyable for many players and at nearly 8000 hours of game play, it is one of my enjoyments of the game.

Thank You and Have a Great Day ... The OldGamer 😌

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Riamus said:

The patch notes mentioned the open, close and destroy sounds for the nests were changed, probably because people were commenting on it sounding like breaking wood.  I didn't see anything about other sounds.  I'm skipping this round of experimental as A21.1 doesn't sound like it really does anything to fix the more glaring A21 bugs.  So I haven't seen what is changed other than glancing through the patch notes.

You should give it a try as early game is quite different with A21.1 due to some change in the loot tables and recipes.

More Glue is dropping now but the new bottleneck is obviously to find enough piece of cloth in order to craft those five pieces of padded armor that I need in order to diminish the very high chance of getting any critical damage in case of zombie hit (I'm playing permadeath at survivalist/run/60 min with no trader, no airdrop, no loot respawn, no chunk reset).

But now, for crafting each Duct Tape, it's taking 10 pieces per glue (same for one bandage), hence 50 pieces for five DT. Adding 50 more clothes for each armor part, it's 300 total for a full set of Q1 padded armor. In fact, that's the first time ever that I had to harvest the fields for coton plants in order to craft some armor as, actually, taking it from POI is way slower and quite boring with a Q1 stone axe. Once I get killed (soon), I'm gonna use 200% player block damage for sure on top of 200% XP.

So water for Glue is much less an issue now for crafting without trader but the new early game grind is all about pieces of cloth.

31 minutes ago, métaphore said:

You should give it a try as early game is quite different with A21.1 due to some change in the loot tables and recipes.

More Glue is dropping now but the new bottleneck is obviously to find enough piece of cloth in order to craft those five pieces of padded armor that I need in order to diminish the very high chance of getting any critical damage in case of zombie hit (I'm playing permadeath at survivalist/run/60 min with no trader, no airdrop, no loot respawn, no chunk reset).

But now, for crafting each Duct Tape, it's taking 10 pieces per glue (same for one bandage), hence 50 pieces for five DT. Adding 50 more clothes for each armor part, it's 300 total for a full set of Q1 padded armor. In fact, that's the first time ever that I had to harvest the fields for coton plants in order to craft some armor as, actually, taking it from POI is way slower and quite boring with a Q1 stone axe. Once I get killed (soon), I'm gonna use 200% player block damage for sure on top of 200% XP.

So water for Glue is much less an issue now for crafting without trader but the new early game grind is all about pieces of cloth.

It's a little strange to read about the lack of cloth.
The first levels of the trader's quests are mostly ordinary houses with curtains and beds. If there are small military bases nearby, then you can collect a whole stack from a couple of tents.
Maybe I'm used to playing like this, but in the first week, while I'm doing the initial tasks, I accumulate at least two stacks of fabric.
Perhaps you should pay attention to curtains, beds and tents.