Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

3 hours ago, sillls said:

One thing that I would like to see a change in is the perk tree. 

For example: In advanced Engineering, the first skill you can get is blacksmithing. But if you get the book, you can already make the forge. I know that it can help with efficiency but I would not mind being able to bypass this since I can already make the forge though a skill book

Maybe bypass the need for a point if you already found the skill book for it? 

:) come back after you try a21 as changes have been made. will it be perfect? and probably never will because everyone has a different aspect on how it should be. but it has changed and i feel it is for the better this time. all previous changes were just practice. :)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

2 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

:) come back after you try a21 as changes have been made. will it be perfect? and probably never will because everyone has a different aspect on how it should be. but it has changed and i feel it is for the better this time. all previous changes were just practice. :)

As you said yourself, everyone has a different idea of how it should be. For you it is better but for others it will be worse.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea that now it's all about looting or how to call it "gambling".

8 hours ago, Moonflower said:

diablo 4 releases june 6th. Please whatever you do, just don't drop it june 5th. Dont do this to me.

Have you watched what became of Blizzard over the past few years?

What will be released june 6th will be a totally unbalanced and buggy mess.

That little piece of content you were able to "beta" in the PTR during the last few weeks does say nothing about the long term. It's a small ingame-preview, not more.

On release, it will be in a state that TFP wouldn't even dare to call "pre-ante-experimental-alpha".

D3 did grow to what it is over years. 1st release iteration was BS. And that even was when the original Blizzard team was still together.

And D2 got really good with D2R, when they finally patched out some terrible bugs...20years later 😄

I'm also excited for D4, but I will get it not before end of this year.

So A21 may come when it comes.

...which it does anyways, regardless from your and my posts 🙂

On 4/30/2023 at 3:48 PM, MichaelL. said:

I'm loving all of the new potted plants that have been added.  However, don't you think a lot of them would be dead in an apocalypse with nobody around to water them..?  ;)

It's a zombie game  - the dead are living. 😉

On 4/30/2023 at 7:48 AM, MichaelL. said:

I'm loving all of the new potted plants that have been added.  However, don't you think a lot of them would be dead in an apocalypse with nobody around to water them..?  ;)

Fake Plants :D

22 hours ago, Gronal said:

It's not *just* for streamers, as I understand it youtubers are welcome to make videos too. They just need 5k+ subs and to apply, and they get access.

Yeah, I didn't say it was for only streamers. I said right in my post that I know youtubers who are doing it. That being said, the point of post was that based on my understanding, if you are participating in Streamer Weekend, you will be streaming that content as opposed to recording videos then posting them. Again, I could be mistaken.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

I tried random gen today and had some problems with it. 

First one I generated a map the rivers were starting and stopping erratically on the preview map. But I tried to generate the map anyway. 

I press generate, come back to it latter only to find that it ask me the same thing. It was as if I hadn't even tried it. 

What is going on? 

31 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

Yeah, I didn't say it was for only streamers. I said right in my post that I know youtubers who are doing it. That being said, the point of post was that based on my understanding, if you are participating in Streamer Weekend, you will be streaming that content as opposed to recording videos then posting them. Again, I could be mistaken.

We allow both. You are correct that streaming lends itself best for the short window of the weekend but there are some who make videos and don't stream and we let them do that.

28 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

is there an option in alpha 21 to make the traders always open & destructible?

I'm not sure how much more vehicle damage from hitting stuff is going to be increased, but those chunks of desert driftwood which the RNG sometimes cruelly places near trader doors and wind up within the protection area are already a pain in the butt.

Either preventing them from generating in the first place, or a console command capable of removing them would be appreciated.

Somebody would have moved that clump of girders/logs/etc. that always gets clipped! :)

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

I have long neglected bow+arrow in my playthroughs, so I'll give it another shot in A21.

For "mass-control" I want to use exploding arrows (which I always have lots of in my hoarding boxes, but always forget to use).

So now I'm wondering:

What to do to get the most damage out of those in A21?

Not that I ever really bothered before how they work, but now with the skill changes in A21:

Will these be governed by "bow and arrow" skills, or by "explosives" skills?

Or both maybe?

Are there specific books for exploding arrows?

I know we're still looking towards A21 and bandits are not in there but I was wondering if there is any talk of having bandits optional as a setting when creating a new game or when creating a new map?  I am very interested in seeing the bandits in the game but the game, for me, is a zombie game and I enjoy the game because of that being the focus.  Once you are fighting regular people, then it starts to become too much like other games.  I have a feeling I'll want to play the game without bandits at least once in a while and would rather not have to install an older version to do so.  I'm not saying adding bandits is bad; I'm only saying that I think I'll enjoy playing without them in the game sometimes. :)

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

I have long neglected bow+arrow in my playthroughs, so I'll give it another shot in A21.

For "mass-control" I want to use exploding arrows (which I always have lots of in my hoarding boxes, but always forget to use).

So now I'm wondering:

What to do to get the most damage out of those in A21?

Not that I ever really bothered before how they work, but now with the skill changes in A21:

Will these be governed by "bow and arrow" skills, or by "explosives" skills?

Or both maybe?

Are there specific books for exploding arrows?

As far as I understand it from what I've seen on the dev streams, the existing perk books are separate from the skill books. So you'll still have art of mining and the bonuses it grants, separate from the books which you loot to learn the actual pickaxe recipes.

Likewise, you'll have the Ranger books which grant the ammo types like in the current Alpha 20, but the archery skill books will instead grant the bow recipes. And the archery perk will boost damage, reload, etc.

A20 (Current) : Learn bow crafting from recipes, learn the ammo crafting from RAngers Guide to Archery, and control Bow Quality and damage from the Archery perk.

A21 (Soon) : Learn bow crafting and control bow quality from the skill books, learn the ammo crafting from Rangers Guide, and control damage and other bonuses (Including more bow parts) from archery perk.

Edited by Khyron (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Larry_Flynt said:

Would be nice if you add the forum names to the real names - i do not know every developer with real name, but the forum name.

Go to the main menu of the game and click credits. You're welcome. :)

32 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I know we're still looking towards A21 and bandits are not in there but I was wondering if there is any talk of having bandits optional as a setting when creating a new game or when creating a new map?  I am very interested in seeing the bandits in the game but the game, for me, is a zombie game and I enjoy the game because of that being the focus.  Once you are fighting regular people, then it starts to become too much like other games.  I have a feeling I'll want to play the game without bandits at least once in a while and would rather not have to install an older version to do so.  I'm not saying adding bandits is bad; I'm only saying that I think I'll enjoy playing without them in the game sometimes. :)

I haven't heard any, partly because bandits and factions are the end game storyline, so I don't see a way around them for gold.

But maybe gold will include a different game mode that doesn't use the storyline and it could be played similar to how the game is now, completely open ended.