Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

22 hours ago, Henrique said:

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year!!
💥💥💥

18 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

Happy new year to everyone hope all are in good health and having a great time. 🙂

17 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Happy new year all. It's officially the year of Alpha 21

14 hours ago, KenGross said:

happy new year to you as well

7 hours ago, beerfly said:

Maybe you scared them, walk in slowly next time.

We are good people, I love this community and wish you guys a better year.

Be good with everybody. Be brave and curious and never stop. 

Roland, omg, you are so slacking on your job. How in the hell did you let these messages of all this pleasantness and hopefulness get past you and allow them to be posted in this channel. Disgraceful.

Happy New Years to all

20 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

I venture to say no as they are NPCs not actual players. the achievement was designed to be earned by challenging live players as players arent restricted to ai scripts like npcs. :)

but anything is possible and can change.

Alright thanks. only asking since i really just play co-op with another friend or solo and i don't really do pvp.

@Roland Happy New Year!

How come A21 did not come out during this holidays like before? you know around end Dec..

i saw you wrote release date 2023, is it soon? early 2023 or mid year >.>

was hopping it would be now so we get to play and enjoy it during holidays and with so much snow we get here in Canada lol

you think you can give a estimate time?

2 hours ago, saoron666 said:

@Roland Happy New Year!

How come A21 did not come out during this holidays like before? you know around end Dec..

was hopping it would be now so we get to play and enjoy it during holidays and with so much snow we get here in Canada lol

I think we were all hoping to get it before Christmas including TFP. When the team gets back maybe they can give us an idea of where they're at with the patch. 

5 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

I venture to say no as they are NPCs not actual players. the achievement was designed to be earned by challenging live players as players arent restricted to ai scripts like npcs. :)

but anything is possible and can change.

Unless the code has changed I'm not sure this is accurate. Granted it has bee a very long time so it could very well be different now. But just wanted to say once apon a time when Traders came. You could take the torch and hit them to catch them on fire and it would count as player kills. I believe the method still works on the console version or did when I played with friends on it because they didn't have a pc at the time. 4 players max on console and it achievement was out of the park wanting like kill 2500 players. So yes I used this method on console to get 2500 kills to 100% it lol. Someone had made a video from the pc version for single player people once about how to do it and it just happen to still work on the console version....

anyway not tying to talk about exploit or whatever but was just to pointing out killing NPC at that time did give player kill count.... as said that was ages ago so the code might be set up differently now. either that or now it might get set up differently now that I said this lol.....

just to clarify to anyone reading this  that was an old exploit and it is no longer a thing but by all means go beat the hell out of some traders with a torch if you want to and makes ya feel better lol.

Edited by crazywildfire (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

Unless the code has changed I'm not sure this is accurate. Granted it has bee a very long time so it could very well be different now. But just wanted to say once apon a time when Traders came. You could take the torch and hit them to catch them on fire and it would count as player kills. I believe the method still works on the console version or did when I played with friends on it because they didn't have a pc at the time. 4 players max on console and it achievement was out of the park wanting like kill 2500 players. So yes I used this method on console to get 2500 kills to 100% it lol. Someone had made a video from the pc version for single player people once about how to do it and it just happen to still work on the console version....

anyway not tying to talk about exploit or whatever but was just to pointing out killing NPC at that time did give player kill count.... as said that was ages ago so the code might be set up differently now either that or now it might get set up differently now that I said this lol.....

just to clarify to anyone reading this that was an old exploit and it is no longer a thing but by all means go beat the hell out of some traders with a torch if you want to and makes ya feel better lol.

That's why Rect is so evil 🙃

5 hours ago, saoron666 said:

@Roland Happy New Year!

That's because alpha 20 was ready around that time alpha 21 isn't I'm sure if it was ready for shipping they would've released it then however things aren't always gonna go to plan I can assure you that the fun pimps are full steam ahead on making sure the updats gets to everyone in a quality of their standard when it's done.

Also this is NOT a release date this is my own guess but in saying alpha 21 will likely drop into experimental around may/June and that's by taking into account for the dev time for alpha 18 19 and 20.

4 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

Also this is NOT a release date this is my own guess but in saying alpha 21 will likely drop into experimental around may/June and that's by taking into account for the dev time for alpha 18 19 and 20.

Nah, I'd say March at the latest for stable. Maybe early/mid Feb for EXP. Though I don't see it happening, Rick did say in that interview that A22 would be a shorter cycle and hoped for it to release in spring '23. Again, I am not holding my breath on that happening, but A21 is already 13 months in so I'd think it will be here sooner rather than later, especially since there was some hope for it to release for the Steam winter sale.

Everyone's guess is different but i'm pretty confident it won't be taking too long to get the experimental out. Then again I doubt it happens before the end of January, as they always release with an associated marketing plan (streamer week-ends etc), and that probably didn't organize itself during the holidays. Development wise they probably aren't too far off but it was surely too risky and hectic to get it out before Christmas time.

Still enjoying a new playthrough of Valheim and i'm barely into the Iron Age, so take your time Pimps, but don't leave us hanging until Spring. 😄

1 hour ago, beHypE said:

Then again I doubt it happens before the end of January, as they always release with an associated marketing plan (streamer week-ends etc), and that probably didn't organize itself during the holidays.

The Fun Pimps usually like to use Steam Sales as release dates.

There are two sales in the near future.

The first is the "Steam Base Builder Fest" between January 23rd and 30th. However, I think this date is very unlikely.

The second date is the "Steam Spring Sale" between March 16 and 23. That is more likely. Maybe the experimental will even be released at the end of February so that the stable is available on this date.

52 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

The second date is the "Steam Spring Sale" between March 16 and 23. That is more likely. Maybe the experimental will even be released at the end of February so that the stable is available on this date.

You're way too optimistic IMO.

1 hour ago, Laran Mithras said:

If A21 is all about art assets, and it includes new character models, it will be worth the wait. (insert broken-record ticking here)

That's as subjective as it gets, I've played this game so much that the eye candy doesn't even get registered by my brain most of the time. As a seasoned player, I can't help but feel that it has been quite some time since the last game-changing aspect was introduced. And A21 won't change that to be honest, even though I'm still eagerly awaiting starting over with the new LBL system.

15 minutes ago, beHypE said:

That's as subjective as it gets, I've played this game so much that the eye candy doesn't even get registered by my brain most of the time. As a seasoned player, I can't help but feel that it has been quite some time since the last game-changing aspect was introduced. And A21 won't change that to be honest, even though I'm still eagerly awaiting starting over with the new LBL system.

I really notice how great the game looks now when I try and play the console version. I am also eagerly waiting to try out the LBL system

45 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Honestly when it comes to them adding new art assets, my brain just thinks "polishing a turd" the game started development in 2013ish and it was massively behind graphically speaking. It has not really gotten much better. You can increase the resolution of the stuff in the game, it won't make it look like any better than like Skyrim from 2011.

19 minutes ago, IzPrebuilt said:

It has not really gotten much better.

Unbelievable! With this statement, you lost any credibility, sir.

Is 7D2D up to par with the latest graphical improvements in other more recent games? No

Does 7D2D look way better than when it first started in 2013? Absolutely!

Spoiler

May | 2013 | 7 Days to Die

Best 7 Days to Die Mods: Try These While Waiting for Alpha 2

Not going to lie. after playing console for so long and then moving to pc in 2021 playing A19 and then moving to A20. some of the changes in A21 seemed meh. The Learn by looting made me kind of iffy but after looking at the two pictures it doesn't seem all that bad. my concern now is the water changes. but after thinking about it some more you really never do deal with food sickness at all anymore. so drinking from lakes directly will change that :D.

10 minutes ago, IzPrebuilt said:

Honestly when it comes to them adding new art assets, my brain just thinks "polishing a turd" the game started development in 2013ish and it was massively behind graphically speaking. It has not really gotten much better. You can increase the resolution of the stuff in the game, it won't make it look like any better than like Skyrim from 2011.

For me 7D2D is similar to Valheim as in it is beautiful in a certain chunky way. For 7D2D game play is king visuals are second.

15 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I would agree,

but these two pictures you selected as proof actually look as they might be from the same alpha, maybe with slightly different screen resolutions or detail quality. 

Lighting and shadows even look slightly better in the first shot.

And that ambulance from A20 even doesn't look like a 3D model but just like a textured cardboard stand-up.

How in the world did you manage to take such an ugly screenshot?

You did run A20 on your Nokia 3310 cellphone right? 

😃

1 minute ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

For me 7D2D is similar to Valheim as in it is beautiful in a certain chunky way. For 7D2D game play is king visuals are second.

Agree, I legitimately don't care that it looks bad. Although I think Valheim is an art style choice to keep the file size really small which is nice.

19 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Unbelievable! With this statement, you lost any credibility, sir.

Is 7D2D up to par with the latest graphical improvements in other more recent games? No

First of all, what credibility? who put you in charge of the credibility? can i exchange my limited retained credibility for something useful like staples or dried bugs? Why are you talking to me like an Oblivion NPC i just stole from? Are you from a PS3 game like the graphics in this game? Is this the reason for your offense? Have i offended an entire era of gaming?

blow-into-bag-yes.gif.314b8bffcc26245bc6cff12d511512c4.gif

Second of all you have just shown my point.
It's made about 3-4 years of graphical improvement in a decade. It's never going to look good.

So YES, it has NOT gotten MUCH BETTER. Precisely what I said.

It's not even the fault of the devs at this point, it'd be impossible to make it look good without restarting.

2 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

I would agree,

but these two pictures you selected as proof actually look as they might be from the same alpha, maybe with slightly different screen resolutions or detail quality. 

Lighting and shadows even look slightly better in the first shot.

And that ambulance from A20 even doesn't look like a 3D model but just like a textured cardboard stand-up.

How in the world did you manage to take such an ugly screenshot?

You did run A20 on your Nokia 3310 cellphone right? 

😃

Those ugly screenshots are official marketing for the game. Probably the worst looking one out of them all but still lol

image.thumb.png.6a11143a652ba000ca0d229cfef64658.png

4 minutes ago, IzPrebuilt said:

Those ugly screenshots are official marketing for the game.

HA! No way! You're right!

Well this at least explains that ambulance. It WAS a fu$Q%ng cardboard stand-up.

Too much effort to drive the actual vehicle there just to stage that one marketing shot 🤡