Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

12 hours ago, hiemfire said:

The pic combo does look to read "to all, And to all talent/perk/skill trees". I'm not sure how to do the number puzzle though so I can't check if "Flury of Blows" is accurate.

Edit: If so, then it looks to me like they're rolling all of the "must have" melee combat perks into the individual weapon perks themselves instead of requiring cross tree point investment to get them.

Was thinking same thing on first part of pic. It shows in bottom right the "But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight -"

The other pic covers the last two lines, "Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight"

The Minus happy face to me seems to subtract the merry and the minus christmas tree pic seems to me to subtract the Christmas...

So should be "and to all a goodnight."

Haven't gotten the two pics below those.

Maybe the goodnight from the pic means it changes goodnight in line to whatever the other skilltree pic is???

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Gamida said:

Was thinking same thing on first part of pic. It shows in bottom right the "But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight -"

The other pic covers the last two lines, "Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight"

The Minus happy face to me seems to subtract the merry and the minus christmas tree pic seems to me to subtract the Christmas...

Maybe the goodnight from the pic means it changes goodnight in line to whatever the other skilltree pic is???

Yeah I'm pretty sure it reads "Flurry of blows to all skill trees" The bottom part is telling you to change the Goodnight part to Skill trees

The workings:

1. Flurry of blows from the nonogram
  2. As Gamida pointed out, the 'to all' part comes from subtracting Merry (smiley face) and Christmas (tree) from "Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight"
  3. Then 'skill trees' comes from changing the 'to all a goodnight' part (the book  on the bottom left is Goodnight Moon) to 'Skill Trees' as the image shows on the bottom right

23 minutes ago, Gamida said:

Could that mean that flurry of blows only works at night? (EDIT: Okay, as we have a very good explanation for the riddle, I drop that as a theory)

Another theory would be that they cope with the recipe removal by removing ONE perk from every perk tree as creating enough sensible substitutes for all the recipe perks would be a task they don't have time for. So Strength gets sexrex removed and distributed, agi Flurry of blows.

Int would lose one of the recipe perks, I would put my money on the vehicle perk. In perception there are a few perks that come to mind, maybe the lockpicking perk that is useless as long as strength has multiple better ways to open safes, though I doubt that. There are other ways to fix this. And in fortitude the obvious choice would be LotL, though that perk is working well without recipes already. So I would put my money on the hunter perk as the better choice to go and be incorporated into the perception hunter perk.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

@faatal, I invoke thee. Lately, I've seen an experimental  version being tossed around internally. Does that mean that content lock has finally been achieved for all teams?

I already asked for a divorce, dumped my lovers and quitted my job and twelve illegal gigs for this alpha. The moment you fire the starting shot I sell my house and buy a top Pc and a garage. Everything is designed already: toilet gaming chair, robotic arm nacho feeder, NASA-grade toilet water recycler, and several other trinkets from a 8L beberage headset to an electronic system that forces you into the minimum 21 minutes of sleep a day that you need to maintain basic bodily functions (who needs cognitive functions to play, 'amirite'?)

A few thoughts about the character development system

The problem is not even that the character development system is not like that, but that players always strive to play in the most effective way, thereby ignoring all other branches of development.Everything will remain the same if the new system still has one most effective way to develop as quickly as possible.It will be possible to solve this in the same way as with crafting.Make a consistent character development system in which you will not be able to buy the most "delicious" benefits until a certain moment.And this is a very controversial decision.On the one hand we will lose in freedom of choice, on the other hand we will not ignore whole chunks of the game, considering them less effective.
If there is a system of specializations, which is more likely, given the presented concepts of armor and its purpose, then we will retain freedom of choice, but most likely everyone will still choose the most effective specializations.
Specializations are more useful in a co-op game or on servers in a group.For solo play, consistent character development will be better.Without splitting the game into solo/co-op and servers, we will not get the best gaming experience for everyone, alas.Unfortunately, solo players will have to put up with the concept of specializations and the impossibility of becoming a terminator who can do everything for one survival.

We can conclude that the best system is the one that exists now, but no.I conducted a small survey (just over a hundred people) and most of them play for less than 30 game days (60 minutes/day), because they develop as quickly as possible and then "they get bored."
It's very strange for me, to be honest.I wouldn't play at all if my main goal was to develop as quickly as possible and finish survival, then immediately start a new one.

3 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal, I invoke thee. Lately, I've seen an experimental version being tossed around internally. Does that mean that content lock has finally been achieved for all teams?

I already asked for a divorce, dumped my lovers and quitted my job and twelve illegal gigs for this alpha. The moment you fire the starting shot I sell my house and buy a top Pc and a garage. Everything is designed already: toilet gaming chair, robotic arm nacho feeder, NASA-grade toilet water recycler, and several other trinkets from a 8L beberage headset to an electronic system that forces you into the minimum 21 minutes of sleep a day that you need to maintain basic bodily functions (who needs cognitive functions to play, 'amirite'?)

We urgently need a sedative truck while hypetrain is getting ready to leave 😅

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

AGI is a good attribute under the week but a "handicap" in blood moon because all points in stealth are useless.

You can get the bonus damage from stealth on horde night if you create a path where the Zs need to face away from you to path to you. Also, Run and Gun and Gunslinger would like to have a word.

32 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

A few thoughts about the character development system

The problem is not even that the character development system is not like that, but that players always strive to play in the most effective way, thereby ignoring all other branches of development.Everything will remain the same if the new system still has one most effective way to develop as quickly as possible.It will be possible to solve this in the same way as with crafting.Make a consistent character development system in which you will not be able to buy the most "delicious" benefits until a certain moment.And this is a very controversial decision.On the one hand we will lose in freedom of choice, on the other hand we will not ignore whole chunks of the game, considering them less effective.
If there is a system of specializations, which is more likely, given the presented concepts of armor and its purpose, then we will retain freedom of choice, but most likely everyone will still choose the most effective specializations.
Specializations are more useful in a co-op game or on servers in a group.For solo play, consistent character development will be better

This is true for players who want to play the game only once. Specialization has a bonus for replayability  (for players who actually use the specialization). Sure, you made a survey and a majority does ignore it. Means the game is made for the minority of that group. 

The game does not always have to be tuned to the biggest group of players, otherwise this game would be a battle royal PvP game.

32 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

Without splitting the game into solo/co-op and servers, we will not get the best gaming experience for everyone, alas.Unfortunately, solo players will have to put up with the concept of specializations and the impossibility of becoming a terminator who can do everything for one survival.

We can conclude that the best system is the one that exists now, but no.I conducted a small survey (just over a hundred people) and most of them play for less than 30 game days (60 minutes/day), because they develop as quickly as possible and then "they get bored."
It's very strange for me, to be honest.I wouldn't play at all if my main goal was to develop as quickly as possible and finish survival, then immediately start a new one.

We urgently need a sedative truck while hypetrain is getting ready to leave 😅

9 minutes ago, Neminsis said:

You can get the bonus damage from stealth on horde night if you create a path where the Zs need to face away from you to path to you.

Undocumented feature or bug? I knew there were occasions where stealth worked but my observational powers are 1/sherlock and I never realized it might be their facing away that does it.

9 minutes ago, Neminsis said:

Also, Run and Gun and Gunslinger would like to have a word.

Run and Gun is a very good counter-argument. So agi already has a special mode of combat that is suitable for horde-night (and useful at other times as well)

Gunslinger though is just the normal weapon perk and is (when not used with Run and Gun in a run-and-gun style) a lot weaker than other guns except for INT. But I assume you listed it because a run-and-gunner depends on this perk as well, right?

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Undocumented feature or bug?

Neither. The same behavior occurs when they're awakened in a poi and target a location. On horde night they're also just targeting your location until they actually see you.

So agi already has a special mode of combat that is suitable for horde-night

One that's critical to any build that wants to fight the horde on foot but is also useful for anyone that doesn't want to aim down sights. For example, it's quite nice to be able to use a sniper rifle in the same way that you use a shotgun.

Gunslinger though is just the normal weapon perk and is (when not used with Run and Gun in a run-and-gun style) a lot weaker than other guns except for INT. But I assume you listed it because a run-and-gunner depends on this perk as well, right?

Well, yes and no. I included it assuming that we were talking about a straight agility build, but in combination with Run and Gun the pistols are anything but weak since their weakness is quicker accuracy drop off at range and need for more frequent reloads.

I also assumed the standard standing in one spot behind a barrier horde night style rather than the run and gun style or I'd've added Parkour for obvious reasons. 

1 hour ago, meilodasreh said:

meanwhile, me and the guys still trying to understand what the heck's a nonogram supposed to be.

https://youtu.be/PYOSKYWg-5E?t=123

It's kind of like minesweeper in that each row/column tells you how many consecutive "mines" there are, but rather than have them scattered about randomly, the end result is a picture

I learned how to play back in middle school and I've always been a fan of them

15 minutes ago, Halcyon said:

If TFP is in need of new names for the Flurry Of Blows perks that are gonna be in each tree I have my suggestions

image.png.c0fdef877a9ea13dc23dccd096966c56.png

Thanks. They are already named, have their own icons, and are fully operational. We will see how close your names end up being to the actual ones. :)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

I've been getting a 522 error from CloudFlare all day when I try to go to 7daystodie.com form multiple devices.  I thought this meant that TFP quietly dropped Experimental and crashed the forums... but I see the forums are still operating if I link directly to community.7daystodie.com.  Is the website being updated in anticipation of the big new Alpha?

33 minutes ago, DanLW said:

I've been getting a 522 error from CloudFlare all day when I try to go to 7daystodie.com form multiple devices.  I thought this meant that TFP quietly dropped Experimental and crashed the forums... but I see the forums are still operating if I link directly to community.7daystodie.com.  Is the website being updated in anticipation of the big new Alpha?

Likely just server issues.

14 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal, I invoke thee. Lately, I've seen an experimental  version being tossed around internally. Does that mean that content lock has finally been achieved for all teams?

We make builds almost every weekday evening. Our internal and external testers play those every day. They are no different than what we would release to the public. It is just a matter of, are the features working the way we want and the nasty bugs fixed for release to the public?

Content lock has not happened as there are things we are adding that are still in progress. We don't really do a 100% content lock anyway. Something could be added a month or week before experimental if it fit in with our plans.

29 minutes ago, faatal said:

We make builds almost every weekday evening. Our internal and external testers play those every day. They are no different than what we would release to the public. It is just a matter of, are the features working the way we want and the nasty bugs fixed for release to the public?

Content lock has not happened as there are things we are adding that are still in progress. We don't really do a 100% content lock anyway. Something could be added a month or week before experimental if it fit in with our plans.

It's cool to see you guys having so much freedom and flexibility in your pipeline. Sure, it has its flaws, but it adapts to almost any unexpected drawback and keeps a steady pace of development.

It doesn't bother me that we are getting a21 later, on the contrary. But a screenshot every once in a while (per week for example), wouldn't hurt a single bit. I'm beggining to believe that you guys think we are asking you for 'Ticpicks'.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

We have a few big vehicle changes coming in A21. Killing the weaker zombies and animals or smashing through weaker blocks in one hit is now possible, but your vehicle will take significant damage and each repair kit will only restore a portion of the vehicle health. The higher health a vehicle has, the more kits you would need.

I enjoy working on particle effects and just today made the blood splatter and got it hooked into the hit velocity, so it flies around. Satisfying seeing blood on the street or wall after you nailed a zombie. Is a variation of the corpse eating blood splatter effect I added several months ago to make that look more like they are actually tearing into the corpse. Zombies be hungry.

Added: Vehicles are repaired a fixed amount by repair kits and each level of Grease Monkey adds 10% (of max vehicle health)

Changed: Increased vehicle block, terrain and entity damage given and received by various amounts

Changed: Greatly increased vehicle block damage and self damage

Changed: Improved vehicle block collision damage calculations

Changed: Increased bicycle, gryo and 4x4 health

Added: Vehicle sparks on bigger self damage hits

Added: Vehicle blood splatter when doing high damage collisions with entities

12 minutes ago, faatal said:

We have a few big vehicle changes coming in A21. Killing the weaker zombies and animals or smashing through weaker blocks in one hit is now possible, but your vehicle will take significant damage and each repair kit will only restore a portion of the vehicle health. The higher health a vehicle has, the more kits you would need.

I enjoy working on particle effects and just today made the blood splatter and got it hooked into the hit velocity, so it flies around. Satisfying seeing blood on the street or wall after you nailed a zombie. Is a variation of the corpse eating blood splatter effect I added several months ago to make that look more like they are actually tearing into the corpse. Zombies be hungry.

Added: Vehicles are repaired a fixed amount by repair kits and each level of Grease Monkey adds 10% (of max vehicle health)

Changed: Increased vehicle block, terrain and entity damage given and received by various amounts

Changed: Greatly increased vehicle block damage and self damage

Changed: Improved vehicle block collision damage calculations

Changed: Increased bicycle, gryo and 4x4 health

Added: Vehicle sparks on bigger self damage hits

Added: Vehicle blood splatter when doing high damage collisions with entities

Wait…where was the puzzle…?

9 hours ago, faatal said:

smashing through weaker blocks in one hit is now possible, but your vehicle will take significant damage

Are there any damage changes for existing blocks that already gets destroyed via vehicle in a20? For example driving a 4x4 through wasteland it would be inevitable that you'd run over cinder blocks if you go off-road, does that mean the vehicle will take more damage in a21 running over that same block?