Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, GRITTY said:

yeah

my hopes would be the devs would just tell us what they're doing instead of giving us riddles to solve.  just lay out what changes will or won't be.

I know...I know...so unprofessional to play games....on a forum about gaming... ;)

It's just me. Not the devs.

9 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

I am rather curious how that new feature will look, or better said what kind of useful information this really provides.

I mean what, would it be like

"this is 80% dangerous right now"

or

"when I go here, it switches from low danger to medium danger"

hmm...doesn't really seem very useful like that.

Australia fire danger sign hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

how about a sign like this on the road side when entering a new biome....    these are a thing in Australia... lol

5 hours ago, Roland said:

My last puzzle got solved so quickly and even with me trying to distract you guys with Scooby Doo instead of a real Great Dane. I hope this one is tougher and bit more ambiguous.

image.thumb.png.bae4be6f36dda1afcf34974b93860cbc.png

As everyone else I sort of quickly figured out the sex + yule part. The next one down I thought of dictator + ship for first part (which for those who said tyrant for kim I am thinking is right answer) and am sorry if I offend anyone but I have no idea who the other two guys were.

4 minutes ago, Gamida said:

As everyone else I sort of quickly figured out the sex + yule part. The next one down I thought of dictator + ship for first part (which for those who said tyrant for kim I am thinking is right answer) and am sorry if I offend anyone but I have no idea who the other two guys were.

I don't know who the long-haired fellow is, but the guy on the right is from Cutting Room Floor.

Sex Yule (sexual) Tyrant Shore (tyrannosaur)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Barrels on fire do not blow up.

I somehow thought you looted gas barrels without seeing an inventory, but probably I always hit R so fast that I don't see any inventory anymore and got the wrong idea.

Yeah, they have inventory.  I don't know how best to deal with them exploding, but I'm sure there is an option that would work.  That was just an example that I could think of off the top of my head.  I know I've seen other things that I really wanted available to be built, but I can't think of them right now.  None of them, AFAIK, were high poly.  Hopefully they will at least go through them and add any that aren't high poly before gold.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I know...I know...so unprofessional to play games....on a forum about gaming... ;)

It's just me. Not the devs.

it's pure frustration on my part.  i love this game and just want to know what is up with it and what to expect.  being given riddles to solve is a bit disheartening and i hope you can appreciate that sentiment.  i have over 4k hours in this game and want to best for it. 

while i have your ear, can you please change the mining sounds back to what they were in a19?  i mine...a lot.  like, an unreasonable amount of mining for any one human.  the metal on metal sound is just one of my pet peeves :)

Edited by GRITTY (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Maybe there will be two scales now? One is responsible for endurance when running, the other is endurance when using tools, melee weapon, aiming?:)

I hope so, this idea has always made so much sense to me. I feel like in real life if I was chopping trees with an axe until my arms felt like they couldn't swing at all anymore, that I would still be able to sprint after that. In real life when you run and when you swing a weapon/tool, even though they both make you start to run out of breath and muscles start to ache, the limiting factor is different because you don't run out of breath that easily when swinging your arms. When you're running, you stop because you're out of breath. When you're swinging your arms, you stop because your arms hurt. I'm sure you could run out of breath while mining if you had resistant muscles, and if you were running with superpowered lungs that never ran out of air, you would eventually stop because of leg aches.

But even though this feature could make sense, it might be too much to keep track of (probably why most games just stick with the "everything-stamina meter") and it is kind of fun getting rushed by a horde and making decisions like "How much more 'running-away-stamina' should I sacrifice to bash in the head of the feral that's right in my face?"

8 minutes ago, GRITTY said:

it's pure frustration on my part.  i love this game and just want to know what is up with it and what to expect.  being given riddles to solve is a bit disheartening and i hope you can appreciate that sentiment.  i have over 4k hours in this game and want to best for it. 

Think of it like this. The first post will be updated come Monday with the actual information. I was always planning to update it Monday and I could have just stayed silent until then or I could provide a puzzle leading up to the post which sparks conversation and conjecture. The post wasn’t going to come earlier in any case so you aren’t losing out on information. 

I don’t like the sound either. I’ll make sure the devs know your feedback. 

6 hours ago, DanLW said:

So now when I come across an outhouse in theiddle of the desert and see the T5 rating, I'll know there is a not-so-secret secret base!

Yeah, I hope it doesn't work like that as that will kill a lot of the fun of exploration. But if there isn't an option to turn it off in the game's settings it will definitely be something I mod out day 1 if it works as it seems it will.

7 hours ago, DanLW said:

So now when I come across an outhouse in theiddle of the desert and see the T5 rating, I'll know there is a not-so-secret secret base!

Now I'm wondering if you happen to pass through a city are you going to see the danger meter rapidly fluctuate as you pass through all the POI boundaries, assuming you aren't following the "roads" and just driving through all the parking lots/ front yards

On 3/16/2022 at 2:02 PM, Roland said:

Danger Meter added to show danger level of biomes and POIs

Are there two different meters, one for biome and another for POI, or is one meter that calculates from both factors?

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Vintorez said:

Would be cool if to have like a harpoon rope weapon mod for spears to change the special attack back to throwing it without actually losing the item when you do, drawback being that it takes longer to ready the spear again depending on how far it was thrown.

Yeah that's a pretty cool idea. I'd also like to see a flamethrower. That would rock!

Idk if this was talked about more through all these pages. If so and already done then disregard. 

Where it says glue crafting taken in consideration. What if instead of jar of water that we still be able to use a bucket to collect water. The bucket can be used for glue. So idk 1 bucket of water would be like having 10 jars of water. Or do we not have the bucket anymore either? Honestly not used that in forever so not sure if it is even still in game. Idk anyway was just a thought.

On 12/11/2022 at 4:14 AM, Roland said:

Think of it like this. The first post will be updated come Monday with the actual information. I was always planning to update it Monday and I could have just stayed silent until then or I could provide a puzzle leading up to the post which sparks conversation and conjecture. The post wasn’t going to come earlier in any case so you aren’t losing out on information. 

I don’t like the sound either. I’ll make sure the devs know your feedback. 

waiting.gif

Watch this guys I got this.

Hey there TFP.

*eats some sugar butts (or whatever you do to them, chew them? idk im sure i'll be fine)*
*puts cigar in mouth*

*eats pumpkin cheesecake*

*drinks grandpa's awesome sauce*

*takes better barter rank 5*

*pulls out 44 magnum (not loaded :])

Give me specifically the alpha 21 update. I'll give you 20 dukes and 2 really neat pictures of a goose.

Do you accept my bartering offer?

Edited by Halcyon
Roland updated the confirmed news section after i posted this so i'm giving them a better deal hehe (see edit history)

On 12/11/2022 at 5:12 PM, Vintorez said:

Would be cool if to have like a harpoon rope weapon mod for spears to change the special attack back to throwing it without actually losing the item

you should definitely try the "god of war" games

weapons you throw away but always come back to you is essential part of the gameplay/combat system

these chain blades never get old

...yes, I would love to see something similar happen in 7D2D too. 

Roland when finally coming up with the next riddle, after spending hours and hours to figure out the most complicated and disguised evil mastermind puzzle:

*posting it, whilst thinking with evil grin*

"this one finally, they will nev..."

*immediate post from someone in the forum who already figured it out correctly*

10 minutes ago, Jugom said:

Still nothing about the "C", huh.

EDIT: wait.. I get and even like stamina being tied to the weapon. no more perk in strength regardless or what melee weapon will you use. 
but how will that work with stamina drain while sprinting?

Isn't that governed by Cardio?

8 minutes ago, Jugom said:

Still nothing about the "C", huh.

EDIT: wait.. I get and even like stamina being tied to the weapon. no more perk in strength regardless or what melee weapon will you use. 
but how will that work with stamina drain while sprinting?

Sexual Trex doesn't currently do anything for stamina drain while sprinting so presumably it'll be exactly the same?
The stamina perk for sprinting is Rule 1 Cardio in Fort.

Sexy Rex currently reduces regular attack stam drain by 25%, power attack drain by 50% and gives 30 stamina on kill. No sprint related stuff at all.

Or did i misunderstand the question?

41 minutes ago, Halcyon said:

*puts cigar in mouth*

*eats pumpkin cheesecake*

*drinks grandpa's awesome sauce*

*takes better barter rank 5*

*pulls out 44 magnum (not loaded :])

You're really taking a chance there without the Sugar Butts!

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀