Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

15 minutes ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

I would love to see the game updated so we can pick up Furniture from POIs, and either take it to our base to use, or sell it to a trader. I would love to be able to pick up crates, safes, fridges, lockers etc... Could we please have this flexibility? It would add to the immersion of the game. (Just like Undead Legacy) 

I believe you can craft at least some of the furniture 

20 hours ago, faatal said:

Random World Generation is about 4 times faster. Meaning it generates faster. I thought what I said was pretty obvious.

This is also helpful to the developers and testers as we can test RWG changes more quickly.

Yes, there are changes to how RWG generates. One change that I know of is road generation is different. Robert is currently working on that.

Thanks for the clarification, the wording (running 4x faster) got me for a moment and I was already sharpening my torches and lighting up the pitchforks, lol.

A question, what can you tell us about your work in a21 lately? Nothing that you can reveal is boring stuff. 

On 3/17/2022 at 5:02 AM, Roland said:

• Learn By Reading System
    • 23 new skills to govern crafting (photo in gallery below)
    • 23 new magazines added to loot
    • Perks no longer unlock recipes or govern crafting at all
    • The only schematics that still unlock recipes are mod attachments. 
    • Crafting skill is increased by finding and reading magazines

Are the standard perks for each attribute still exactly the same? (e.g. perception = lock picking, Better loot, etc. ||  strength =  Master chef, Mining etc.) 

• Drinking Water Rebalance
    • Murky water is the only water found in loot and water sources.
    • Empty Glass bottles removed from game to match all the rest of the containers in the game
    • Dew collector work station added
    • Players can drink murky water directly from water sources with empty hand by pressing "e".
    • Drinking murky water causes 5 hp of damage and has a chance to give dysentery
    • Pot is now required to boil murky water into boiled water
    • Glue crafting taken into consideration

Does this mean the only way to get murky water is in loot containers and not by walking up to a puddle with a 100 empty jars and right clicking to fill all with murky water? or does right clicking on a water source give us a "murky water jar" without requiring an empty  jar  and pushing "E" on water source let us drink the murky water? 

EDIT: Okay so after testing just now, I realize we can't drink from water sources with right click/ left click anymore, this is what I get for not reading patch notes properly.. um but punching water has a nice feel to it though 👀

• Spears
    • Spear damage increased
    • Spear power attack is a thrust instead of a throw
    • Throw attack for spears removed

I won't miss being able to throw spears and I feel for those that may have enjoyed that mechanic. But on the other Hand, this change will make me reconsider using Spears as a main weapon rather than bat/knife. 

(sorry if these questions have already been answered before)

Edited by mo'guts (see edit history)

55 minutes ago, mo'guts said:

Are the standard perks for each attribute still exactly the same? (e.g. perception = lock picking, Better loot, etc. ||  strength =  Master chef, Mining etc.) 

Mostly the same with a few changes not yet revealed. 

56 minutes ago, mo'guts said:

Does this mean the only way to get murky water is in loot containers and not by walking up to a puddle with a 100 empty jars and right clicking to fill all with murky water? or does right clicking on a water source give us a "murky water jar" without requiring an empty  jar  and pushing "E" on water source let us drink the murky water? 

You can find jars of murky water in loot. You can drink directly from water sources with an empty hand while pressing E. This fills your hydration bar but does not give you a jar of murky water. 

There are no empty jars any longer so no more right clicking to fill jars. 

You can get jars of drinking water by building a dew collector. 

hello @faatal

sorry to disturb you, but i have a question.

i am watching the @jawoodle current series which he has a mod where you get burned by the sun during the day if it is directly overhead. (love your stuff by the way Josh my anzac bro)

Josh has said that the intent of the mod was to be safe from the sun if in a shadow of a building. so if the ground looks in shadow, then the sun couldnt burn you. its like a vampire mod intent really i suppose. 

it is a great concept, and could be expanded so if you were in the gaze of the moon you would be a werewolf or any number of things people smarter than me could come up with.

is there a tweak you could do to make this concept work?

i suppose there is a thing between top down sun effect (maybe tied in with farming, rain, who knows what else) versus the angles of shadow casting.

i used to program an sql server but now i stuff supermarket shelves, so what would i know? lost 20 kg though.... and my beard is bigger than @madmole so lol!

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Mostly the same with a few changes not yet revealed.

I typically hate spoilers Roland.. but this is something I would be happy to have spoiled.
Have you seen the changes? and if so, do you think they're good changes?... Roland..pls

You can find jars of murky water in loot. You can drink directly from water sources with an empty hand while pressing E. This fills your hydration bar but does not give you a jar of murky water. 

There are no empty jars any longer so no more right clicking to fill jars. 

You can get jars of drinking water by building a dew collector. 

hmm okay yeah this sounds positive, Interested to see what the Dew collector is like? have you seen it in action? does it setup like a "workbench" style thing where you place it and ignore, check on it later and even if it hasn't rained there will just magically be water in it or does it have to rain? Or does the Dew collector maybe function together with the new water voxel implementation? 

also, can we still turn snow into murky water jars?

2 hours ago, mo'guts said:

I typically hate spoilers Roland.. but this is something I would be happy to have spoiled.
Have you seen the changes? and if so, do you think they're good changes?... Roland..pls

hmm okay yeah this sounds positive, Interested to see what the Dew collector is like? have you seen it in action? does it setup like a "workbench" style thing where you place it and ignore, check on it later and even if it hasn't rained there will just magically be water in it or does it have to rain? Or does the Dew collector maybe function together with the new water voxel implementation? 

also, can we still turn snow into murky water jars?

from what i've seen on the forums snowballs will only be useful for throwing at your friends and also for yucca juice smoothies thats it no other way to use them.

24 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

snowballs will only be useful for throwing at your friends 

Don`t really remember if snowballs did a damage on players, but we did many snowball fights, making "fortresses" out of wooden blocks, 1 regular block and 0.5 high slab, crouching behind them, 10 meters away probably. 3vs3 people. The zeds got envious pretty quickly, but they got some, too. 

Also, try it in real life, always. Yes, I am almost 38y/o. Doesn`t matter :)

1 minute ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Oh noes! I won’t be able to craft water from snowballs which I’ve probably never done or needed to do in game.

I am outraged!

Lol. 

Currently I use snow to melt it and have no water problems at all, for drinking, crafting. Gathered all of it probably on day 5, now at day 108 I`ve never needed any other form of water gathering, even from looting. It is too easy&cheesy. 

Hopefully TFP adds something new as reason to visit other biomes in mid game.

Desert still has oil shale, winter has lost one (already weak) reason and the other reason (meat) is weak as well as you can get enough meat in other biomes and usually have solved the food problem anyway when you finally are mobile enough to look for the other biomes.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 12/4/2022 at 3:11 AM, Roland said:

That is a big part of the art update: creating new original assets for the game. This is furniture, decorations, vehicles, building structures, vehicles, etc. Adding all of this is what is meant by A21 being a big art update.

That being said, we won’t necessarily be able to craft or purchase all of these things.  A lot is only available in the creative menu.

A lot of fluff, no stuff | That 401k Site

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

22 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Well there is already a reason to visit the winter biome. The lootstage is almost as high as in the Wasteland but you have no instant zombies respawn at night. Anyone who has ever done a Restore Power Quest in the Wasteland knows what I'm talking about.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Desert still has oil shale, winter has lost one (already weak) reason and the other reason (meat) is weak as well as you can get enough meat in other biomes and usually have solved the food problem anyway when you finally are mobile enough to look for the other biomes.

Biome specific poi's making a return would help this but I'm not sure how that is handled with the new tile system.

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

Well there is already a reason to visit the winter biome. The lootstage is almost as high as in the Wasteland but you have no instant zombies respawn at night. Anyone who has ever done a Restore Power Quest in the Wasteland knows what I'm talking about.

I am not talking about this as it is a reason to visit any of the other biomes. Sure, there may be reasons why someone likes this or that biome better, but generally the other biomes just offer the same loot boost in different strength. 

But you have a very good argument why the loot bonus of the snow biome should be reduced. It seems generally too easy for its loot bonus. And it would be nice if the wasteland were a biome unlike any other, alone at the top in every respect.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

I am not talking about this as it is a reason to visit any of the other biomes. Sure, there may be reasons why someone likes this or that biome better, but generally the other biomes just offer the same loot boost in different strength. 

But you have a very good argument why the loot bonus of the snow biome should be reduced. It seems generally too easy for its loot bonus. And it would be nice if the wasteland were a biome unlike any other, alone at the top in every respect.

Add back REAL cold and frost burn consequences :smow: and there you go, rebalancing is done.

51 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Add back REAL cold and frost burn consequences :smow: and there you go, rebalancing is done.

i remember when if you were too cold youd start moving much slower youd lose wellness and you would lose about 1 health every 10 seconds the debuff for freezing now is so much easier to deal with in every aspect it can be directly countered if you just go in there starving and eat when youre out of that biome.

5 hours ago, Morloc said:

A lot of fluff, no stuff | That 401k Site

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

Only from the players' perspective. There is the gameplay and entertainment content aspects of the game which we care about more but there is also the technical and artistic element which-- while we might call it fluff, in the industry and among their peers they want the game to shine.