Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

4 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

The stream goes live on time. The loading screen plays for several minutes to allow viewers/followers to get notified that the stream has gone live and/or plenty of time to join. This also helps keep us from having to repeat things while viewers are joining.

Unfortunately i'm not sure that work because in a dev stream people post 50 times the same question i see the dev are irrited by that.

13 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

I love Feral Sense and play with it on all the time. IMO, day time feral sense should be the default setting for vanilla. The world feels more alive with zombies coming out of every nook and cranny of a town.

I could say the same with my opinion that Nomad should be "default" difficulty since it is 100%/100%dmg after all.

I personally find 'Insane' difficulty too easy and would love for an even harder difficulty, call it 'Masochist' with the dmg formula being deal 40%/take 350% dmg :)

13 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

I love Feral Sense and play with it on all the time. IMO, day time feral sense should be the default setting for vanilla. The world feels more alive with zombies coming out of every nook and cranny of a town.
For me and my play style, the water survival challenge lasts 3-4 days and then starts to become "normal" again. I use Vending Machines and Traders a lot more.
Perma-death has been discussed for a long time. I "think" it's on a to do list somewhere. Will have to wait and see though.

I completely agree with the "feral sense by default" opinion, but I do realize that this game has to be a bit easy to learn to avoid this ( basically the guy dives right in and ignores the tutorials and tutorial quests as reading is apparently worse than letting a hot npc teach you everything while speaking)

4 days is more or less what I expected for veterans ; not great , but not bad either. In a20, water is a 15 minutes "issue" . 

Thanks for the answers! Btw, do you know if food will be further reduced or made harder to find in any way for a21?

The new way of getting water isn't that interesting compared to Bandits, new player model, environmental hazards, dismemberment system and new quest types. The things that we have front and center is a learn by looting system that absolutely is a glorified tweak and waste of dev time. Also a water fix and tweak of how you can get drinkable water.  

What other hazards do we have other than fire?

Are the bandits going to have there own town and shops?

Is player armor going to be an all in one item? (that would be dope so you could switch it out much quicker) find all the pieces to craft your uniform. easy to control the look on devs end. ( hide helmet option?)

Is there going to be a boss bandit that would shoot rockets!!?

Are bandits going to have there own man made area in the wasteland? What are the POI guys building?

What are the two new quest types?

Have they fixed the head pop off when you shoot zombie Steve's head? 

What are the First Person animators doing? 

WIP, you'll have to wait and see.

They will have their own POI's, yes.

Is player armor going to be an all in one item? (that would be dope so you could switch it out much quicker) find all the pieces to craft your uniform. easy to control the look on devs end. ( hide helmet option?)

No.

Are bandits going to have there own man made area in the wasteland? What are the POI guys building?

Maybe? POI's.

Yes.

Animating.

1 hour ago, schwanz9000 said:

No.

Maybe? POI's.

Yes.

Animating.

Thank you for responding to my post. I guess we'll wait for a stream so the big honchos can reveal the more interesting features. Hopefully that'll be soon.  

22 hours ago, q123 said:

hmm, this could be removed now from A21-list (found it right now in my A20.6-exp) 🤗

Thank you guys (was it intended? doesn't matter, I like it) 👍

I’ll leave it for now. There may be additional bullet points to add in that category after all at some point. I did edit it to note that it is included in A20.6. Thanks!

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

I'm very impatient to see this game finish for see the final result. I'm sure that Will be amazing thefunpimps have try to make an unique game and they have reach this objectif for me alpha 20 is amazing impatient to see alpha 21 and devs streams.

On the biome sliders and, quite frankly, the other options for generating a rwg map.....will those somehow be added to dedicated servers so that we have use of those options? I know I can generate a map on my pc and upload it to the server but I was hoping to hear that we could use those options directly on the server.

15 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

I have a few questions about that question:

1. Will players be able to buy/sell anything to bandits under any circumstance within those specific bandit POI? Like achieving perks that allow deals, black market deals, shops, item gifts, etc.

2. Will bandit POI only have hostile npcs that attack on sight for a21?

3. Do you guys plan deeper interactions with bandits for the future, like trading, thieving, dealing, etc?

4. Is it planned / Can you join or temporarily ally with bandits for some specific situation?

5. The bandit POI: will they have any miscellaneous situational lore or even preapocalyptic lore/notes within, in a21 or in the future? 

6. How many bandits can be in a POI as an average estimate?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

when you complete a quest you are usually given a choice between a bundle of mystery magazines, one named magazine, and then a typical reward like antibiotics or ammo or whatever. You have to choose. You don’t get mags with something else. 

The bundle is always nine magazines: three each of three random magazines. Your perk bonus does not affect the random draw for the bundle afaik. 

That is one huge buff for the single best perk in game. Now Daring Adventurer goes from "must have" to ABSOLUTLEY MANDATORY.

Why because it increases at level 1 the chance to get a good item from 30% to 50%. Not to mention middle to late game, when you have most of recipies and the additional pics become more and more interesting.

This new system has the potential to badly nerve any to all perks who comes with recipies like farming, engineer, greese monkey, master chef etc.

I don't see an way to make pearks like grease monkey viable. Even a 25% bonus to crafting time and resorces is plain bad for a perk affecting crafting probably a dozen items. Also if the new cooking perk will reduce ingrediance and cooking time, why boother just put more points into farming and get all the ingrediance you need and cooking time, who care get two more campfires an problem solved.

For me the suggested new changes, are not a buff to crafting but one big buff to looting, with some smalltime crafting attachted to it.

This is not a criticism how to develop the game or how the pimps should run their company, but about how I think it is affecting my game stile.

On 7/29/2022 at 2:32 PM, NekoPawtato said:

Any plans in A21 to add transition animation between zombies standing and crouching/crawling?

Will bandits have smooth transition when going between standing/crouching or be the same as the zombies today where it's pretty instant with no transition animation?

Bandits use player animations (and some zombie anims) and player animations are going through a lot of changes, so it will be different.

9 minutes ago, faatal said:

Bandits use player animations (and some zombie anims) and player animations are going through a lot of changes, so it will be different.

I hope you guys are *leaning* towards an approach that doesn't make you *prone* to leave it the same.

Edited by Guppycur
goddman grammar (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Gr.o.m. said:

That is one huge buff for the single best perk in game. Now Daring Adventurer goes from "must have" to ABSOLUTLEY MANDATORY.

Perks are being rebalanced. No need to apply A20 perks to A21 mechanics. 

Hi, will first person driving ever be added?

The steering wheel is animated, we can see the characters hands moving the steering wheel. There is no reason why we can't have a first person camera while driving, it breaks the immersion horribly. I don't care if the gauges don't work we can't see how fast we are going anyway. That is my biggest complaint with this game, i don't understand why it has never been added there are smaller less popular games made by teams of not even 5 people who have first person driving for example Mist Survival, Unturned (which is a unity game made by one person, has both perspectives both in vehicles and on foot.) there are no working dashboards in those games and yet we still have a first person cam, why was one never added in 7 days to die and will a first person camera ever be added to 7 days to die? It just ruins the immersion so badly when you go from first person walking to third person driving. This is the only game i have ever seen something like this in, even if we just had like an option in the settings where we could choose if we want first person in vehicles or not that would be good enough.

38 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Interesting idea, but I think it takes away those that want the thrill of finding a Q6 item while looting.

I had an idea to help with this, but I don't know how possible it is.

Crafted items ALWAYS have set stats. So making a Q6 vs a Q5 will always be better.

FINDING an item has randomized stats, so finding a Q6 may actually be better than your crafted Q6 (or possibly even worse!)

13 minutes ago, NICULL said:

Hi, will first person driving ever be added?

The steering wheel is animated, we can see the characters hands moving the steering wheel. There is no reason why we can't have a first person camera while driving, it breaks the immersion horribly. I don't care if the gauges don't work we can't see how fast we are going anyway. That is my biggest complaint with this game, i don't understand why it has never been added there are smaller less popular games made by teams of not even 5 people who have first person driving for example Mist Survival, Unturned (which is a unity game made by one person, has both perspectives both in vehicles and on foot.) there are no working dashboards in those games and yet we still have a first person cam, why was one never added in 7 days to die and will a first person camera ever be added to 7 days to die? It just ruins the immersion so badly when you go from first person walking to third person driving. This is the only game i have ever seen something like this in, even if we just had like an option in the settings where we could choose if we want first person in vehicles or not that would be good enough.

Halo (the game…not the greeting)

I don’t think it’s planned but who knows? It could just be low priority. I’m pretty sure I remember reading faatal saying it wasn’t planned. You can zoom in really close. Maybe there’s a value that can be tweaked to zoom in so close you are in the drivers seat?

Thank you so much for not claiming that most people hate 3rd person driving. Very refreshing to read someone sharing what they, personally, prefer. 😀

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, Roland said:

Halo (the game…not the greeting)

I don’t think it’s planned but who knows? It could just be low priority. I’m pretty sure I remember reading faatal saying it wasn’t planned. You can zoom in really close. Maybe there’s a value that can be tweaked to zoom in so close you are in the drivers seat?

Thank you so much for not claiming that most people hate 3rd person driving. Very refreshing to read someone sharing what they, personally, prefer. 😀

Oh yeah im fine with third person driving i dont hate it, generally in games that offer both perspectives i use the one that feels most comfortable with the games physics lol but why can't we have first person driving in 7 days to die? It would be such a good detail and i really don't think its that hard to add...

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

I had an idea to help with this, but I don't know how possible it is.

Crafted items ALWAYS have set stats. So making a Q6 vs a Q5 will always be better.

FINDING an item has randomized stats, so finding a Q6 may actually be better than your crafted Q6 (or possibly even worse!)

YUP! One of these days, I really want to rework that so the progression is ALWAYS forward when crafting. I don't want to see a high Q2 being better than a low Q4. That's just demoralizing. What's the point of progression if it's not progressive, right!? I still want to have a little randomization, but I want the quality levels to stay within their lanes.
Looted items will stay random 100%.

1 hour ago, schwanz9000 said:

YUP! One of these days, I really want to rework that so the progression is ALWAYS forward when crafting. I don't want to see a high Q2 being better than a low Q4. That's just demoralizing. What's the point of progression if it's not progressive, right!? I still want to have a little randomization, but I want the quality levels to stay within their lanes.
Looted items will stay random 100%.

Honestly, I like this. I ditched the random stats in DF because of the fact it applied to crafted.

If we can have crafted always have X base stats, and looted always be random, I would absolutely love it. :)

hey POI builders + shape creators, if you're here, with all the new POIs and the shape consistency being updated/added this alpha (hopefully), is there any new info that can be shown or explained without giving away anything huge or spoilery? I've seen that the new windows are looking great and work well, and the new POI traps are looking spiffy, but what about the new POIs that are being added? Any more high tier POIs, or maybe even what "groups" of POIs are being added/updated?

Also, where are you on the amount of new shapes vs the shapes in A20? Last I saw it was like... I think 50-100 new shapes, I think, or did I pull that out of my butt?

I'm super excited for all of the building blocks. I'm always looking for new shapes to renovate POIs I live in with lol