Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

Question on the new skill books:  Will the previous perks from the old skill books still be available in other forms?  Do they unlock in order now as you get more and more books?  For instance for mining is there a way to find gold/gems while mining and eventually have the chance to auto-kill ore blocks?

Excited to see the upcoming changes already mentioned in this thread. Apologies if my questions have already been asked.

I read a little about some water updates that might make it in to a21. Could we get more info about what’s getting updated there? (Any water life or boats?)

Something that’s always bothered me a bit… you can’t shoot through the hole in a damaged door! Would that be difficult to change?

I think it’s been mentioned that a21 doesn’t necessarily have a date set to release, but some devs have mentioned work that “might be completed in time for a21”. If a date isn’t the main deciding factor, how are you selecting the changes that will make you feel like a21 is ready?

Cheers,

u

Just saw this tweet: 

From all the talk of new 'decorative' vehicles, I imagine this is just a prop, but people who aren't reading stuff on the forum (most people) won't know. Going on the wording of that tweet, they will think they can hitch a plow to it and ride over zombies (which would be cool). I foresee wailing and gnashing of teeth when they find out that was fake news.

3 hours ago, unifrau said:

Something that’s always bothered me a bit… you can’t shoot through the hole in a damaged door! Would that be difficult to change?

All new/updated doors should allow for players to melee/shoot through their damage holes.  For example, the commercial doors (single and double) that have been shared by the devs have the shoot through tech. built into them already.  😎

5 hours ago, hotpoon said:

Just saw this tweet: 

From all the talk of new 'decorative' vehicles, I imagine this is just a prop, but people who aren't reading stuff on the forum (most people) won't know. Going on the wording of that tweet, they will think they can hitch a plow to it and ride over zombies (which would be cool). I foresee wailing and gnashing of teeth when they find out that was fake news.

i think they should add prop lawn mowers to @%$# off the people who ask for them Lmao

and you can get engines from them

8 hours ago, hotpoon said:

Just saw this tweet: 

Yeah! And what about the promise of gambling away my farm? If A21 doesn't let me put all my potatoes and corn on the line at the zombie dog races I will be livid! LI-VID!!

I have a couple questions regarding the learn by looting mainly is it still balanced for the player that loots vs the player that stays in base and crafts. Also when looting will the magazines be in the book related loot-able or in more places and will the drop chance of any magazine be guaranteed? In A20 when I am looting and I get to a room of book shelfs and such it is super frustrating to only get paper and stuff I’ve already found while knowing there’s still 50 or more schematics or books that I have not found. 

49 minutes ago, DarlingCows said:

I have a couple questions regarding the learn by looting mainly is it still balanced for the player that loots vs the player that stays in base and crafts. Also when looting will the magazines be in the book related loot-able or in more places and will the drop chance of any magazine be guaranteed? In A20 when I am looting and I get to a room of book shelfs and such it is super frustrating to only get paper and stuff I’ve already found while knowing there’s still 50 or more schematics or books that I have not found. 

If you go out and loot you will find magazines. If you stay at the base you won't. That's how it's balanced. You can still perk into tools and weapons of choice and become very proficient at using them but you won't be able to craft your own without doing something to acquire magazines and build your knowledge.

Magazines are more likely to be found in places that match up thematically with their topic. So you will find more mechanical themed magazines at gas stations and cooking magazines in kitchens than vice versa. But you also find a random mix of everything everywhere.

There is no guarantee of getting the magazine you have perked into but there is a boost to the probability of getting it so you will often find the books you need mixed in with others randomly. But it is subtle so you definitely don't feel like you are only getting the mags that match your specialties.

As of now there are tons of magazines everywhere. Getting a bookshelf or filing cabinet or mailbox that is just paper is pretty rare now. Whether that will get nerfed or not will depend on continued play.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Not. another. drop. of. information.

Gotta say, I think I'm a little too excited about the water overhaul (whenever it comes). What will really be the bees knees, though, (yeah, I used "bees knees", deal with it) is whether or not the game adds in water-related equipment like fins and O2 tanks (especially if we get water-themed POIs).

1 minute ago, Syphon583 said:

Gotta say, I think I'm a little too excited about the water overhaul (whenever it comes). What will really be the bees knees, though, (yeah, I used "bees knees", deal with it) is whether or not the game adds in water-related equipment like fins and O2 tanks (especially if we get water-themed POIs).

Don't expect much... I warn you. You'll be disappointed.

It'll be a BIG win, even just having water flow as intended without lagging the game to 1 FPS.

Just now, Jost Amman said:

Don't expect much... I warn you. You'll be disappointed.

It'll be a BIG win, even just having water flow as intended without lagging the game to 1 FPS.

Yeah, let me clarify. I'm excited about the idea of free-flowing water. That's it. If that's all that happens, I'd consider that a win. But that overhaul could open up the possibility for either TFP or modders to make some really cool things. As water is right now, it's super difficult and glitchy to build out on the water. Not impossible, but the water blocks have a tendency to react in funny ways. Hoping that a water overhaul can fix that.

Just now, Syphon583 said:

I'm not adding new information. I'm just reiterating what I already said....

The main goals are that it 1) spawns correctly in rwg, 2) behaves well around other blocks, and 3) doesn't hurt performance.

Those of you imagining all sorts of new features associated with a "water update" should lower your expectations. It is a water update to fix the current state of water and not to bring Subnautica into the mix. There are lots of water associated features that people really want TFP to add to the game and pretty much all of these are probably beyond the scope of what they are doing for A21. The current impact of water in the game is likely to remain mostly the same but water blocks are broken in a number of ways and they are set on fixing them. 

Sorry to be a downer. If you expect water to mostly stay the same as far as gameplay but be fixed and no longer act buggy or wonky like it currently does then you will have reasonable expectations and IF TFP does something extra or adds a water related feature or two then it will be a happy surprise.