Living of the Land its a poor gamble

Balthazod

16 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Well no kidding feeding 4 out of 34 plots may be an issue for space...

34 plots of potatoes and 34 mushroom spores on a wall. steak and potaoes for days

but if you have less than 60 plots I think you should just rotate crops so you can make a particular set of food with each harvest.

If you try to grow a bit of everything it can easily fail. but if you cycle specific larger quantities of seeds and plan out your harvest it theoretically makes your chances of successful harvest much higher

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Balthazod said:

Perk level 1 you can not make seeds so you have to be level 2 to even attempt a veg garden and with RNG the results can be very bad

The thing is, in my mod, I removed all the recipes from the perks so you have to either find them in loot or buy them from the traders; yet I am still able to setup farms with Alpha20.  It's all about patience.

Until I find the seed recipes, I just plant the seeds I find while looting.  Then once I get the recipe, I can convert my harvests into seeds to replant if I fall low on them.

It's only a 3 skill point investment to get level 2 in LotL which allows sustanaible farming. Zero and 1 point are just not meant to be used for sustainable farming, they designed it like that, adapt and move on. Level 1 is still good for the harvest so I would take it, just like I take several other 1 pointers with most builds I run.

7 hours ago, Cobretti_ said:

It's only a 3 skill point investment to get level 2 in LotL which allows sustanaible farming. Zero and 1 point are just not meant to be used for sustainable farming, they designed it like that, adapt and move on. Level 1 is still good for the harvest so I would take it, just like I take several other 1 pointers with most builds I run.

No. LotL1 is already sustainable farming. Recheck your calculation or read about it:

Just the numbers:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/27146-living-of-the-land-its-a-poor-gamble/?do=findComment&comment=466814

The math:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/27146-living-of-the-land-its-a-poor-gamble/?do=findComment&comment=466603

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

No. LotL1 is already sustainable farming. Recheck your calculation or read about it:

Correct.  LoTL 2 and 3 just speed up the process and reduce the costs for a bad harvest. - Clarification by costs I mean your ratio of harvests vs crops needed to convert seeds.  I should have said your excess increases, not costs decreases.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Correct.  LoTL 2 and 3 just speed up the process and reduce the costs for a bad harvest. - Clarification by costs I mean your ratio of harvests vs crops needed to convert seeds.  I should have said your excess increases, not costs decreases.

You call that a clarification? 🤪

fyi, I never use the plots for mushrooms. Those go on the wall somewhere.

(If I take over a POI for a bit, or, when using the old bunker, it's the bathroom. seems appropriate given the state of cleanliness)

😛

10x10 plots, using a checkerboard pattern.

currently have 2 of'em, more to follow after digging out the goodies below.

(base is 10x10, walls 30x30)

On 1/16/2022 at 3:26 PM, hiemfire said:

4 points. 2 points to get to Fort 3, 1 point each for LotL 1 and 2.

3 points. Wear the glasses to get fort 3 to unlock LotL level 2 and wear them again whenever you need to harvest. Keep them in your farming storage, only time you will need them unless running a fort build.

As for the comments on sustainable farming, level 1 means you need to run a big farm, that is not sustainable in my book, if I want to spend my game time tending to a large farm I will play stardew valley. Just because something mathematically works doesn't mean it is sustainable.

Edited by Cobretti_ (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Cobretti_ said:

3 points. Wear the glasses to get fort 3 to unlock LotL level 2 and wear them again whenever you need to harvest. Keep them in your farming storage, only time you will need them unless running a fort build.

As for the comments on sustainable farming, level 1 means you need to run a big farm, that is not sustainable in my book, if I want to spend my game time tending to a large farm I will play stardew valley. Just because something mathematically works doesn't mean it is sustainable.

Ah yes, another one that lives for rolling dice to be able to do anything, including breathing... 4 points for those of us that don't suck Fortuna's @%$# every chance they get in hopes that she'll bless them.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:19 PM, Flycatcher said:

Would go with spoiling, fridge to slow the rate down a bit.

Spoiling is a nice concept, but a complete disaster to actually implement.

You'll now have an updating properly on every damn food that needs to update over time. And how would stacks of them work? You want a separate stack of meet at 95% vs 90%?
There's a game that exists that DOES have food spoilage, called Outward. The inventory management is much slower than it has to be because every food item has its own timer, and a hoarder like myself, with stacks and stacks of items, have excessive load times. I deliberately have to sell a ton of stuff just to keep loadtimes down.

3 hours ago, ZirePhoenix said:

And how would stacks of them work? You want a separate stack of meet at 95% vs 90%?

You can implement stacks with 'averages' pretty well.

- It takes 100 time units (TU) to spoil an item

- Each stack keeps a TU total to itself

- Each time you're adding to TU, you add (stack_size X time_elapsed)

- If TU total went past 100, spoil one unit. Spoil N if above 100N

- When you combine two stacks, you just add the TU totals (and potentially spoil one unit instantly)

- If you split a stack, you give each stack their proportion of the TU total

Having written that, I don't see spoilage being added to 7dtd, so, kinda pointless. :)

On 1/13/2022 at 9:39 PM, Balthazod said:

You must be a window licker for me to make seeds I have to have points in LOTL pay attention Sherlock.

Uh.... there are seed recipies you can find in loot. You don't need LOTL to makes seeds.

One point in LOTL makes farming work for one person. No issue. even 1 point is working fine for two players. For a larger group someone would have to spec into it most likely.

But they did increase the time investment so some XP for it would be nice.

Edited by Shockwave1 (see edit history)

On 1/21/2022 at 9:09 AM, Urban Blackbear said:

Conan Exiles and Ark both have spoilage. They also have food in much more abundance and it's still annoying to empty all that rotten meat out.

In ark, if your not using a superstack mod and holding 1000 cooked meat, your doing it very very wrong. Otherwise your gonna run to the fridge after a simple time of collecting rocks with a doedicuris, or simply flying around on a pteranodon. It's brutal.

Food spoilage may work in this game if we had very primitive options for food. Tier 1 (raw meat, ingredients) last 1-2 hours, tier 2 (bacon and eggs and such from one perk) lasts 3-4 hours, then add 1-3 hours for each perk invested for the specific things it unlocks.

The only issue is that food is meant to be scarce, and having plant spoilage would be an absolute nightmare. "I forgot to look at my crops after a day of traveling to a T5 quest and waiting all night to fully complete it, now all my crops are dead".

It COULD have place in the game, if it had very complex mechanics that DO NOT mesh well together. I go both ways on it's addition or removal. (That is if it ever gets implemented.)

49 minutes ago, Darklegend222 said:

In ark, if your not using a superstack mod and holding 1000 cooked meat, your doing it very very wrong. Otherwise your gonna run to the fridge after a simple time of collecting rocks with a doedicuris, or simply flying around on a pteranodon. It's brutal.

Food spoilage may work in this game if we had very primitive options for food. Tier 1 (raw meat, ingredients) last 1-2 hours, tier 2 (bacon and eggs and such from one perk) lasts 3-4 hours, then add 1-3 hours for each perk invested for the specific things it unlocks.

The only issue is that food is meant to be scarce, and having plant spoilage would be an absolute nightmare. "I forgot to look at my crops after a day of traveling to a T5 quest and waiting all night to fully complete it, now all my crops are dead".

It COULD have place in the game, if it had very complex mechanics that DO NOT mesh well together. I go both ways on it's addition or removal. (That is if it ever gets implemented.)

Don't get me started on Prime Meat. That stuff spoils faster than milk shipped by Amazon.

49 minutes ago, Darklegend222 said:

in 7D2D some of My usual Players chuckle at Me,  because I insist on bringing back snowballs from the Winter biome to form a bottom layer of any container holding raw or cooked foods.    Just My way of simulating a scenario where keeping raw and uncanned consumables cold,  would be desired. 

Players can interpret things to make the game seem more immersive,  everything doesn't have to be spelled out in game mechanics to simply have a good time in playing in the zombie apocalypse. 

1 hour ago, Urban Blackbear said:

Don't get me started on Prime Meat. That stuff spoils faster than milk shipped by Amazon.

We easily had 5 fridges full of cooked prime meat specifically for the baby dinos. When we wanted to get a carnivore and didn't have kibble (this was around v140 on an official server pre flier nerf) we would gather the prime meat while taming so it took longer to spoil. Eventually we got preserving salt from Scorched Earth to help with the spoilage, but even then it was just a grind fest.

3 hours ago, playlessNamer said:

Why does no one complain about the tons of rotten flesh you need until you can craft a reasonable amount of farmpots? Usually i hit tier 4 quests before i can craft 15-20 pots, at this point i dont need them anymore.

Why does no one mention, in all the arguments about seed return % and whatnot, that LotL also reduces the amount of rotting flesh you need for a farm plot? The game is telling us pretty clearly: want to be a better, more efficient farmer? Well you better git gud with LotL.