Should zombie appearances be more varied?

geengaween

Should zombie appearances be more varied?   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the current zombie system and designs?

• Yes, I like them as they are: repeating clones of distinct individuals, like Killing Floor
    • No (specify why in comments)
    • I don't care, zombie appearance doesn't matter to me

Ever since the first alpha I've never really liked the MMORPG style zombie system in 7DTD, where the zombies are all clones of 8 or 9 distinct and recognizable individuals. They even used to have names like "Arlene" until a18 when it was no longer possible to loot them. I don't really like this in other games like Killing Floor either, although at least in that game there's an explanation for it - the Zeds are all literal clones being pumped out of hidden underground cloning vats.

I always preferred the zombies from other games such as Dead Rising or Left 4 Dead, who all look very similar, their clothing is dirty and neutrally colored, and it's much harder to distinguish them from each other as individuals. They all kind of blend together. It's weird and kind of paradoxical - the more similar the zombies look to each other, the less they seem like identical videogame clones. I'd prefer the 7DTD zombies if they were designed in a way where it was harder to tell them apart, and they were distinguished more by their roles in the game, like wearing hardhats or having the ability to climb.

Was just wondering how many other people shared this opinion and how many people like the clones or don't care.

Edited by geengaween (see edit history)

It's something that could bother me in almost any game if I let it and it's not just limited to zombies.
In general, I think it would be nice to have basic zombies where you can't really tell them apart. However, I still want to have the specials.
A game that could alter faces, hair, clothing, and animation in slight random ways, and yet still be able to perform would be superb. Very few games accomplish this and I'm sure for the few that have, it was no easy feat.
I'm sure one day in the not so distant future this will be a more common thing seen in games. There once was a time when a fully destructible open world only existed in developer dreams and yet here we are.

Just some slight points of clarification:

A17 was when looting zombies was removed and the zombies continue to have names.

Arlene still roams the countryside of Navezgane-- even in the development builds of Alpha 20.

Finally, the use of a limited number of models is not an attempt at MMORPG style. It is purely a limitation of current technology.

I agree with you that it would be better if there was more variation among the different zombies so that the same enemies wouldn't become so repetitive. TFP agrees as well. But they have to strike a balance between performance and visuals. I know for a fact that they have explored options for greater variety and are doing what can be done while preserving the gameplay performance for the greatest number of people. I voted no on the poll because I don't prefer what we have even as a recognize that it may not be able to be changed.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

Even adding random tints to specific clothing (torso, legs, head to start) would create the appearance of a lot more variance without affecting performance much, especially if this option can be turned off in the graphical settings.  It's the little things that can improve the feel of the game the most.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Just some slight points of clarification:

A17 was when looting zombies was removed and the zombies continue to have names.

Arlene still roams the countryside of Navezgane-- even in the development builds of Alpha 20.

Finally, the use of a limited number of models is not an attempt at MMORPG style. It is purely a limitation of current technology.

I agree with you that it would be better if there was more variation among the different zombies so that the same enemies wouldn't become so repetitive. TFP agrees as well. But they have to strike a balance between performance and visuals. I know for a fact that they have explored options for greater variety and are doing what can be done while preserving the gameplay performance for the greatest number of people. I voted no on the poll because I don't prefer what we have even as a recognize that it may not be able to be changed.

a good idea for different zombies roland would be to maybe use your staff as models :)

I AGREE with the current system.... but liking it ? like really liking it ?

I voted NO. Because if we are talking about possibilities, then there are ways to make a Zd system that does one or more of these things:

A-Changes clothing colour of Zd entitities at random within a limit.

B- Swaps heads, and/or animations (or even speeds and sizes) within a limit.

"A" is easier to do than "B", as it would be cool for non- important Zds to be varied and randomized at least in clothing colour. but in reality I can ignore all this in favour of the current system: deterministic clones + clones with special abilities that generate good gameplay if not much "realism" or immersion (clones cause boredom to a degree).

For special infected I would only recommend  "A" or just leaving them as they are. Sure, "B" can be done, but it gets inconsistent.

There's also a reason why the current system is in : dev time. Arguably a laughable excuse because a randomized character system working on normal Zds would be faster to do that 2 years modelling unique entities and result in way more variations for the same dev time. But a complex system generates more bugs.... does it not? Nope. About the same in comparison and it gets lighning fast after a few models get in.

I wouldn't tolerate deterministic npc faces though. That would decrease fun quite a bit.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

I remember when they added UMA and tried to have the random outfits in a14. It lasted all of about 5 minutes.  Any more than 10 zombies spawning brought even my high-end system to a crippling halt. That wasn't a lot of fun. The system was quickly removed, but UMA was still in, and is one of the reasons we don't have a ton of wild zeds roaming around in the client atm.

I am looking forward to the new systems coming in a20 and beyond though.

5 hours ago, Roland said:

I doubt anyone wants to put a shotgun slug through MY cranium...

it would be fun for us then we could take our frustrations out on the zombie TFP instead of on the forums and it gives good variety :)

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

I voted yes, because I like to see immediately what type of zombie I have in front of me. That allows a bit of tactical decision, who to target first, who needs less hits, who should not be underestimated in melee fights ...

i agree mega i feel the cheerleaders should have a bit more speed and agility kinda like the football players

I like seeing the zombies as they are but i think there should be like a generic, that you can't tell who they once were. kinda like the new burnt zombie, but instead of it being crispy, just VERY rotten Kinda like the crawler (my fav zombie) they could also sound like the crawler :D

and another thing (its more of a OCD thing) but i think zombies should have random walks.  sense its kinda odd to see the same looking zombie walk the same way. why does steve not do the heavy walk or the cripple walk. 

and another thing, some zombies cloths i think could be darker, like the new cops shirt should be a tad bit darker. Dairlen cyan shirt should be darker and bloody and steve's should also be darker

19 hours ago, Roland said:

I doubt anyone wants to put a shotgun slug through MY cranium...

Outside of the game? No. A digital representation in game? Maybe. Heck I'd volunteer my own mug if Zombie Joe wasn't already a damn near dead ringer for how I looked in High School.

13 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I was under the impression that both of those zombies are going away very soon anyway.

Last I knew this is the case, though I really don't feel like digging through the A20 and A19 dev threads to dig up the quotes.

7dtd have realistic setting right?  like dying light , cod zombies or l4d2 so a makes groups of zombies like : civilan , soldier , doc, bandit , bikers etc with diffrent head , outfits could make keep them "fresh". Nom i have filling like playing in serious sam. Killing floor have this same model because they are clones created in lab - this logical that they look these same.  I know it will be hard and time-consuming : people like to complain about this but i would to help. 1 model per month could help right? . i thinking about what zombies we need: some student in high school( diffrent jackets t shirt maybe some starved ), zombie nerds, hobos, more zombie soldiers models maybe with special forces ( black camo , gasmask and berets), factory workers , more farmers and bikers zombie , "primal" ( like  mixed fiber clothes with high school girl starved so nowe she is zombie) etc

18 hours ago, meganoth said:

I voted yes, because I like to see immediately what type of zombie I have in front of me. That allows a bit of tactical decision, who to target first, who needs less hits, who should not be underestimated in melee fights ...

that's why  "groups" are good idea - soldier zombie can looks rly diffrent but you know he is a soldier so he have more health . Biker can have a diffrents tattoo w/with helmes, with diffrent tops or jacket but you know he is biker. Bandits can have random colour armor diffrent wounds etc and you will know he is bandit type etc.  so they can look's diffent and you will still know how dangerous it is. Barefoot starved farm girl with one eye and some wound will surly be easier that steel armor heavybuild bandit zombie with tatoo everwhere or dark camo special force member

55 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

7dtd have realistic setting right?  like dying light , cod zombies or l4d2 so a makes groups of zombies like : civilan , soldier , doc, bandit , bikers etc with diffrent head , outfits could make keep them "fresh". Nom i have filling like playing in serious sam. Killing floor have this same model because they are clones created in lab - this logical that they look these same.  I know it will be hard and time-consuming : people like to complain about this but i would to help. 1 model per month could help right? . i thinking about what zombies we need: some student in high school( diffrent jackets t shirt maybe some starved ), zombie nerds, hobos, more zombie soldiers models maybe with special forces ( black camo , gasmask and berets), factory workers , more farmers and bikers zombie , "primal" ( like  mixed fiber clothes with high school girl starved so nowe she is zombie) etc

Realism is quite low on the priorities of the devs. The counter-argument most often brought up is that you can have whole cars and concrete that weighs about as much as the titanic in your inventory. And then there are zombies. Realism is already an unreachable goal with such examples in the game.

If you want a job at TFP you should look at their job offerings. I don't think they will just take work from some guy on the internet without some contract, for legal reasons.

that's why  "groups" are good idea - soldier zombie can looks rly diffrent but you know he is a soldier so he have more health . Biker can have a diffrents tattoo w/with helmes, with diffrent tops or jacket but you know he is biker. Bandits can have random colour armor diffrent wounds etc and you will know he is bandit type etc.  so they can look's diffent and you will still know how dangerous it is. Barefoot starved farm girl with one eye and some wound will surly be easier that steel armor heavybuild bandit zombie with tatoo everwhere or dark camo special force member

Yes, some variation would be ok, but the battle field of a zombie horde night is a chaotic ocean of zombies and variation definitely does make it harder.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Realism is quite low on the priorities of the devs. The counter-argument most often brought up is that you can have whole cars and concrete that weighs about as much as the titanic in your inventory. And then there are zombies. Realism is already an unreachable goal with such examples in the game.

If you want a job at TFP you should look at their job offerings. I don't think they will just take work from some guy on the internet without some contract, for legal reasons.

Yes, some variation would be ok, but the battle field of a zombie horde night is a chaotic ocean of zombies and variation definitely does make it harder.

1. Yeah i can agee with that but this more mechanic that setting for example : in cod when you choose knife you run faster that with rpg but you still have this same wage . i know there is much stupid things like germans have ppsh etc but they try to be realistic : zombies have proper winter helmets , you can find sdk 222 on die eisendrachen, you can find tigers tank in nza 1 2 or trilogy ( 4 go into much alternative way ) or logical stuff in bunker right? 

2. If i good remember L4D2  valve team just "take" charger idea from forum ( it was looking exactly this same) , tf 2 have cominity updates , biding of issac get items from antibirth etc So if they "open" section : put what you want and maybe we will use something it will be legal if they put it in terms and there will be proof this was created by for example "wolo3124gaming" and is not assect bought somewhere or stolen. Ofc Law in USA is diffrent that in UE but probably it it possible.

3 in night there is not enought time to changing ( and you put brightness as you see counturs) ammo types right? ofc there are some diffrents like radioactive ( and you don't know the model only the green colour) ,  cop ( he is fat and it hard to mistake it antithing exept fat mama zombie) ,  spider ( but you see him because he is jumping like hunter from l4d) , bird is bird . Soldier , biker survivor etc like almost this same posture almost are this same. some in night i just keep to shot them down . In l4d2 for example we have common and uncommon, unocommon  zombies  looks enought diffrent that normal zombies but some of them have variants like : hazmats have 3 diffrent of colour of their suit and diffrent faces , workers have diffrent colour vest ( dirty yellow and green) etc .  Did you saw new fat cop model ? you can make variants : w/with cap, blue or white thirt , with or without tie and they will be looking diffrent but you can still easy recognise them . i don;t have idea for another versions of feral. But we can now take soldier : winter, desert or woodland camo , with beret helmet or wounded  with one shoes or barefoot and it you will know this is a soldier but it will looks diffrent. For new types of special zombies riot zombie can have black armour or blue in prison. Bandit can have scrap or iron armor there will looks diffrent but you know  it its a bandit zombie type. i have some idea for "uncommon" zombies and some of them can be rly logical and diffrent enought.

Sorry for gramma mistakes i have some types disturbends , even in my languages i'm making a lot of mistake which is a little bit anoying but i can't do anything with this so sorry 😅 

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

Voted "I don't care".

I'd love more variety, but there are so many thing I would prefer them to address before that.

Maybe they can do that in the last alpha (beta?) before gold. If they never do it, it's fine with me too.

I guess, if possible, more variety is always welcome. New models... sure. But, even variety in clothing would be welcome as far as I'm concerned. George in that Hawaiian shirt, or Big Mama in that slinky black dress 🙃

d4d393d1991a95a8a48accd950721bbf.gif.8691968faa5adbceedbaea714d03cb9a.gif