A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

10 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Then go back to previous alphas if that makes you happy. Have fun living in the past.

"have fun living in the past" such a philosophical reply for some one who simply prefer a previous version of a game hahaha

7 minutes ago, beHypE said:

That's the thing. You bought into an idea and got disappointed that it didn't exactly go the way you fantasized it. Unless you like being surprised by change, which you seem to be resistant to, you might wanna stick to buying finished products in the future. Just something to think about. 

its not like i didn't knew at first what the game was gonna be about, yes i've been charmed about what would have been if the game didn't change so many things that in my eyes were more like premises than a wobbly chair. I always thought of 7d2d like a survival zombie game with a big variaty of genere in it, from a bit of FPS to GDR to sanbox and so on, but everytime i  get a look to the progress it seems much less of a big playground and more like a tunnel.

Edited by fallenbox (see edit history)

Honestly I like the upgrade path change, I don't like that blocks go *poof* when they hit zero durability for certain upgrades. For example I always thought of the steel block to be cement with steel plating, so I would want that block to downgrade to cement. I don't think cement should downgrade to cobble though as I picture upgrading to cement to be replacing the previous block without the tediousness of physically removing it yourself. Realism is nice, but there are some things in the real world I hate doing and would love a more streamlined process. Waiting for cement to dry? No thanks. Gameplay trumps realism IMO anyday with once exception, most animations. Gun reloading should be realistic, no more three shell loading shotguns and *poof* fully loaded animations

I do like the reinforced concrete texture better than the cement texture and hope they pick that one over the other when deciding which textures to keep. Basically, I think there is a way to streamline upgrading blocks without ruining people's experience over it i.e. : wood->cobblestone->concrete->steel coated concrete (steel block). In reverse: Steel coated concrete->reinforced concrete->*poof*: cobblestone->*poof*: wood->*poof*.

9 hours ago, fallenbox said:

Its just theyr way to do things which almost every one tend to agree that suck, removing depth from the game and calling it "optimizations" as been a trend since the @%$#ty a17 patch, worst thing is that sometimes nothing is re-added after "improving" the thing, only cutting out elements of gameplay that people appreciate.

"confusing to upgrade your base with the insane current block upgrade path" yeah i imagine what of an overload of mental struggle it goes on with such high numbers  of blocks upgrades, hopefully modders are gonna be able to fix what devs itself screw up.

Any project that is being edited for its final version typically has more cut than added. The process is usually tougher on the creator more than anyone but any competent designer whether it is a game, a movie, an essay, a book, or a work of art knows the value of cutting away the bloat and chaff and simplify their project to a high functioning lean product.

Hey, I love extended versions of movies and also wonder about all those deleted scenes and why they had to be cut in the first place and I also enjoyed many aspects of 7 Days to Die that ended up on the cutting room floor. But it is standard procedure for any creative process. The devs have to make the hard choices and we may not like it but we have to at least understand the principle. The game has reached higher popularity than ever before and longer sustained player base than any previous version so they must not be doing it all wrong.  Sure, new players don't know all the goodies they are now missing but it also shows that the game still has legs and is still fun and addictive and engaging and the whole point of being in Early Access is to be able to have experienced all those past versions and have fond memories.  Yes, new players could opt in to earlier versions to try them out but it isn't the same going backwards as it is experiencing the journey as it happened. That is something to be grateful for and if you are the type who likes all the bloated scope and complex processes then for sure there will be mods that will add several steps to craft anything and double the number of workstations and triple the hoops to jump through to get anything done. That is exactly the purpose for mods: extra scope beyond that of the developers.

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm going to add one final point to the "brass predicament". What is one the most inconvenient tasks in 7D2D? That would be babysitting brass as it smelts into your forge. At least with candlesticks, trophies, and doorknobs they stack up to, what is it? 500? Brass radiators are the main culprit here. Having to place 10 in at a time (max stack size is 5) and wait for 10 minutes before you can deposit more into the input slots is a far less elegant method than any other smeltable item in the game. I'm no game developer, but I don't see how increasing their stack size to 25 or even 50 would affect much balance wise. The constructive consequence of this is that instead of being forced to hang around your base tending to your forge in between tasks (this all depends on your current situation) we could simply plonk in a large stack of the suckers and let them smelt while we perform other tasks. What do you think @madmole?

Isn't smelting on the way out already? You are beating a horse that will be dead in A20

On 4/6/2021 at 9:46 AM, BFT2020 said:

Just wanted to point out that pipe weapons existed before Rust (Fallout 4 released with pipe weapons).  Improvised firearms were not invented by Rust - Fallout 3 had the Rock-It Launcher (later changed to Junk Jet).

alot of games had pipe like weapons. 

like Metro, and even old movies like Madmax had makeshift guns. idk why people say fallout came up with it. EVEN THOUGH THE ONES IN FALLOUT WOULD NOT WORK! *cough cough pipe bolt acton COUGH*

But i wonder what the pipe pistol will look like 

On 4/3/2021 at 5:02 PM, Roland said:

Using the trader is completely voluntary. Cancel the initial tutorial quest and you won't be directed to a trader AND you also won't get the four free skill points. Only a millennial-lover would want to take those initial four skill points and wreck the pure survival experience.... ;)

i mean why would you not want to pay the traders a visit
LETs go over why they are so nice. 

Trader joel AKA Randy savage hes madmole so he is going to be nice. 
Trader Jen, she had meds and is kinda awkward BUT SHE NEVER HAS MY STIMPACKS! Also Snowdog likes her for.... other reasons
Trader hue (IDK HOW TO SPELL HIS NAME!) he does not like it when i @%$# on the ground. WELL I CAN DO WHAT I WANT!
Trader Rekt: A cranky old bomber that likes his corn... a little too much. and for me HE NEVER HAS FOOD! jerk.
trader bob:.... he has nice hair and sounds like madmole (hope he gets a new voice! I CAN DO IT FOR FREE :D  

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Isn't smelting on the way out already? You are beating a horse that will be dead in A20

Oh, I wish. But Madmole said that there are no plans for it currently. If smelting really was out of the picture though, it would solve A LOT of problems. Aside from obvious performance/gameplay/time gains by making the forge like a workbench (but with mods) , all the brass items could just be gone and just get "brass" from radiators, doors, etc. Lots of redundant things gone that can make way to new items and even new mechanics (not really, but smelting gone = performance you could use for electricity or farming or even more base raids).

13 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Excellent work Faatal!

I can't wait to get my hands on this feature whenever A20 EXP hits. I personally edit my forest biome XML's to add wights, cops, and soldiers to nighttime spawning, so this shall prove to be... interesting.

i think that should be a thing you can do without doing XML files but oh well. 

I always messed it up. i Got it fixed but it was still a Pain. 
suggestion

Spoiler

maybe they could add a "Spawn setting" and a "Zombie level" setting

you can crank the zombie spawn setting to. 
0 ,1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x or 6x Day

0 .2x 4x, 6x, 8x 10x and 12x Night 
(able to flip around if you wish or Able to make it bases Day or night spawn)

and Zombie Type setting 
so this setting would allow some more zombies to spawn in more areas, more stronger or even special zombies, Say if you pump it up to 1, you could encounter a Burned zombie in the Woods, or a solder and maybe a spider zombie. (this is how it would go)

Normal (like the bases game, no harder zombies spawn in open world but some special zombies can spawn at night and feral zombies)

Advanced (more types can spawn in open world or even in buildings but not crazy types) you can find burnt zombies, hazmat, fat people, Bikers, and more normal zombies in groups even spider zombies at day time)  Night time more stronger zombies spawn (feral or not) and can even find different specials any time like cops during the night or even A screamer!

Hardern: weaker zombies spawn in more groups in the wild and with more harden zombies. like soldiers, Almost all Special zombies can be found during the day even zombie animals.  at night Almost every zombie can spawn as a feral version and can live even when the sun rises. AND zombies during blood moons stay as well Even if you die. and they will come all night long! HAVE FUN!

Accessibility is always a Plus in my book. becauses if your like me with a Peanut brain, it would help out 

13 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Oh, I wish. But Madmole said that there are no plans for it currently. If smelting really was out of the picture though, it would solve A LOT of problems. Aside from obvious performance/gameplay/time gains by making the forge like a workbench (but with mods) , all the brass items could just be gone and just get "brass" from radiators, doors, etc. Lots of redundant things gone that can make way to new items and even new mechanics (not really, but smelting gone = performance you could use for electricity or farming or even more base raids).

hmm i don't think getting brass is that bad. (I buy a lot of bullets as well, Mostly special grade)

but i think it would be nice to have brass in more salvageable like electrical stuff, sense brass can come from copper and alot of electrical stuff has copper but lets say in the 7DTD WORLD it only brass. so Why not.

i was rather happy when i found that pipes with they yellow valve on it can give you brass but it was not enough for a Hungry M60. other things like sinks don't give much ether
so why not!

12 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm going to add one final point to the "brass predicament". What is one the most inconvenient tasks in 7D2D? That would be babysitting brass as it smelts into your forge. At least with candlesticks, trophies, and doorknobs they stack up to, what is it? 500? Brass radiators are the main culprit here. Having to place 10 in at a time (max stack size is 5) and wait for 10 minutes before you can deposit more into the input slots is a far less elegant method than any other smeltable item in the game. I'm no game developer, but I don't see how increasing their stack size to 25 or even 50 would affect much balance wise. The constructive consequence of this is that instead of being forced to hang around your base tending to your forge in between tasks (this all depends on your current situation) we could simply plonk in a large stack of the suckers and let them smelt while we perform other tasks. What do you think @madmole?

After receiving weapons, tools and armor of level 5-6, Duke's chips begin to accumulate in huge quantities,stacks of 20,000 melt for a long time and give a lot of brass at the output. Melt them in the forge and you will have no problems with the brass. Here, rather, the question is not in the complexity of the extraction of brass, but in the style of your game.

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

You are correct. It was just an idea he mentioned.

15 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm going to add one final point to the "brass predicament". What is one the most inconvenient tasks in 7D2D? That would be babysitting brass as it smelts into your forge. At least with candlesticks, trophies, and doorknobs they stack up to, what is it? 500? Brass radiators are the main culprit here. Having to place 10 in at a time (max stack size is 5) and wait for 10 minutes before you can deposit more into the input slots is a far less elegant method than any other smeltable item in the game. I'm no game developer, but I don't see how increasing their stack size to 25 or even 50 would affect much balance wise. The constructive consequence of this is that instead of being forced to hang around your base tending to your forge in between tasks (this all depends on your current situation) we could simply plonk in a large stack of the suckers and let them smelt while we perform other tasks. What do you think @madmole?

I think you should scrap the brass before smelting it if you are tempted to sit and watch a timer for five minutes. Either put ten candlesticks in and go do something else and come back or scrap everything and take the penalty so you don’t have to babysit. 

I scrap everything for inventory space and so I can load it all in to the forge at once and I have plenty of brass. There is way more brass and ammo to be found in A19 than ever before. 

19 minutes ago, Roland said:

I think you should scrap the brass before smelting it if you are tempted to sit and watch a timer for five minutes. Either put ten candlesticks in and go do something else and come back or scrap everything and take the penalty so you don’t have to babysit. 

I scrap everything for inventory space and so I can load it all in to the forge at once and I have plenty of brass. There is way more brass and ammo to be found in A19 than ever before. 

Yeah I just recently started making ammo in the chemistry table (to refill my SMG turrets), but I haven't significantly gone through the brass shells in my storage to make a dent (I have 10s of thousands of shells).  Buying from the traders and loot seems to keep my stock for the most part.

I do not scrap out any brass in the field (to not lose that 25%) but that was a habit I got from earlier Alpha's which I question if it is even necessary anymore.

56 minutes ago, Roland said:

As @Gazz said, scrapping in the new hypothetical forge would give you 100% brass/lead/iron/whatever without loss. Timewise right now it is indeed a micromanaging nightmare , with having to smelt some stuff 1 by 1 or -in the case of radiators- in packs of 5 . One more reason to fire Roland. I mean smelting :P.

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

So in other words I'm beating a zombie horse now. ;) Seems rather fitting.

I don't believe it's 100% confirmed that smelting will be gone in A20. It might be, it might not be.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

That's a plausible solution, but I'm a min maxer. I'm not asking for much; just for brass radiator stacks to be increased to a healthier amount. 🤷‍♂️ It honestly wouldn't take much and wouldn't affect much in terms of balance as far as I'm concerned.

3 minutes ago, Odetta said:

Imo scrapping should be instant for anything that incurs a resource penalty 🤷‍♂️

Nah thanks. What if you accidentally scrap that level 5 iron pickaxe you just found instead of equipping it? What if you scrap those radiators by accident? Or those first aid bandages? It would be a frustrating nightmare that would inevitably come to bite you from behind sometime or another. Perhaps the standard should be 5 seconds.

16 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nah thanks. What if you accidentally scrap that level 5 iron pickaxe you just found instead of equipping it? What if you scrap those radiators by accident? Or those first aid bandages? It would be a frustrating nightmare that would inevitably come to bite you from behind sometime or another. Perhaps the standard should be 5 seconds.

Maybe it could be tied to a specific macro, like how holding shift + left click moves stuff automatically from one container to the other. Could be alt + right click to scrap. Then the hotkey (s) could be removed to prevent accidents. Just spitballing here.

Edited by Odetta (see edit history)