• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the Alpha 20 Dev Diary. Here we will discuss upcoming features for Alpha 20.   Alpha 20 Dev Stream Videos 1) Alpha 20 First Look with Prime and Madmole October 28th, 2020

Here is a copy and paste of my notes that I took during the A20 Dev Talk stream tonight.     A20 Roadmap notes.  Many of these will get details in later A20 Dev Talk Streams Unity

If scheduling is proving so hard, why not let the community help out with the baby sitting, errand running, and cleaning? Surely there is some calendar or spreadsheet that can be released, or some pro

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal , since Robert isn't here to answer, do you know if the RWG has a target RAM consumption for a20 ? The news are that you guys are ditching the 4k maps. I have mixed feelings for various reasons:

In 4k maps, the RAM RSS feed currently stands at 3800 Mb to ... 6000-6200 MB !! after around 5 (quest days/build nights) hour sessions SINGLE PLAYER. That means multiplayer can easily double after just 4-5 hours resulting in 12000+MB memory RSS feed and square and texture artifacts everywhere at virtually any time (artifacts start to happen when the dedicated memory  is filled and system RAM juggles too much).

My concern is that if we are going to get 6k maps minimum, how is that going to fare for us lads with peanut butter Pcs? At the moment I'm standing in the "just ok" rope with 4k maps consuming said 3,8 gigs to 6,2gigs  after 5 or 6 hours.

Do you have any insight on this subject ? Are 6k maps gonna have a stable 4 gigs of RSS most of the time or are they expectedly going to hit the 8 gig mark as Navezgane is currently doing ?  Senior programmers have a throne in Westeros from where they can overlook such things, right? I'm sure of it.

Salutations.

Not hard to reproduce. When dedicated memory is filled and RAM is also topping or juggling too much, it happens 100% of the time. Moving fast through the map (no need to God mode) also results in that, but again, memory HAS to be filled.

None of that should be set in stone yet. Once RWG changes are further along, we can see where memory use is at and fix what needs to be fixed.

Edit: Robert says 4k is still possible, so we will probably have that too.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@madmole with the new character models, will we still be able to make our characters bright purple or any other unnatural color? I really enjoy having my character look as bizarre as possible so I hope this will still be a thing. Ark does an excellent job at letting you make a truly abominable characters, though I understand if body shapes like that aren’t possible for the sake of making armor not clip.

Edited by Maxley (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@faatal , I've been testing A19.3 performance. I hope to have unearthed something useful in the output logs. Be aware, the issues posted below are universal to all sizes (4k and 8k) though in 8k they might be proportional.

• Like 1
On 12/3/2020 at 4:38 AM, Maxley said:

@madmole with the new character models, will we still be able to make our characters bright purple or any other unnatural color? I really enjoy having my character look as bizarre as possible so I hope this will still be a thing. Ark does an excellent job at letting you make a truly abominable characters, though I understand if body shapes like that aren’t possible for the sake of making armor not clip.

This is probably one of the reasons why they want to completely move on from the UMA system.

I decided to reenable the Charging Bull perk, because I enjoyed using it in A17. Noticed 2 things, it doesn't correctly function anymore, and the new description is essentially Pain Train from Fallout 4.

My question is, will Charging Bull be making a return in A20?

@madmole

So How many Armors/cloths do you think will come to the game and do you think we will see some old ones make a return (at least in style) 

like a Military armor set ment for gun users.

or a Knight armor ment for heavy melee weapons 

Also sense there are alot of clothes, will each piece of clothing already in the game be turned into the new clothing or will there be more added (i don't know how to explain it)