Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

Curious thing I found out: if you scrap brass items you get more cash for them than otherwise. It doesn't even need a forge: 75% of the brass content is more expensive than the item.

Pretty much all q1 weapons/tools fall under this as well. Especially stun batons. Worth nothing as a complete, functional item, but worth like double as a few baton parts.

10 hours ago, Tmodloader said:

Wow this was one of my most fond memories yet of the game. Injured and hiding while surrounded. Ended up dying in the end cause I'm impatient. Playing permadeath. Enemies on nightmare speed. It's tough even when doing traders apparently.

7d2d.png

Dude, that should be a game achievement. How many debuffs can you get at one time lol. Good story, made me smile.

2 minutes ago, Krougal said:

You should be that guy who mentions it.

Think how cool it would be to be "the dev who gave us the underslung grenade launcher"

You know you want to.

Sorry, but not that exciting to me. I would not work on it anyway. Now adding the raft or a helicopter, that would be exciting and I would be working on it.

34 minutes ago, faatal said:

Sorry, but not that exciting to me. I would not work on it anyway. Now adding the raft or a helicopter, that would be exciting and I would be working on it.

Ok, those things would be more exciting!

29 minutes ago, icehot said:

jees guys, let them have christmas with their families!

No one is forcing them to reply.

Some people try to avoid spending Christmas with their families.

47 minutes ago, faatal said:

Now adding the raft or a helicopter, that would be exciting and I would be working on it.

Y'know, as someone who just got done playing with my FPV drone outside, an FPV mod / mode for the drone could be pretty neat. The technology is actually already in the game too, with the camera systems the player can go into to look around with.

An FPV option for the drone would let you scout out rooms / areas and check the top of builds etc. Not really tremendously useful or OP or anything, but neat

1 hour ago, Demonoid74 said:

The game should , when you are trapped and cornered like that...add in the "dysentery" debuff...because you are quite literally...crapping yourself!

Or when you hear a dog growl on day one and you have no pipe weapons yet.

Maybe force the player to change pants at least  😉

Forced debuffs could be interesting, like give the bear an AoE roar that adds dysentery. Burning zombies can already give the burning effect, so it's kind of there, but they could add radiation sickness etc for radiated ones.

There's so many cool tweaks the devs can make for end game stuff, I really hope they lean into it for quests. Like if you accept X quest type it will force set feral senses and force raise difficulty based on quest tier. They could do a lot of really neat stuff like force lower gamma on a night only quest so people can't just see in the dark, raise difficulty, force set feral senses,  make screamers spawn in the area, have "spawner nests" that churn out tons of zombies until cleared, have targetted roaming hordes for wave defense similar to the dig quests etc.

They shouldn't even be that hard to implement either, since nearly all of the resources and assets are already in the game, it would just be tweaks to change them / buff the zombies / debuff outgoing damage etc

1 hour ago, Star69 said:

Dude, that should be a game achievement. How many debuffs can you get at one time lol. Good story, made me smile.

It was so much fun, I was just waiting out a trader in the snow biome, in a church of all places, then they came from everywhere.

5 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Maybe but they seem to be the only option for weapon/tool progression until late in the game. I'm on day 31 (60 min days, 100 XP) and all of my weapons except a crafted SMG are from Trader rewards or Trader purchase (a Q4 pistol bought in the first week) and most of my tools are from the trader as well. Steel shovels just started dropping for me in loot.  Weapon/tool drops from loot caches seems to have been drastically reduced in A20. Even if trader rewards were reduced they would still be worth doing. You could always do a no trader run. Nothing is truly mandatory.

Yea after playing a few more rounds (perma death) I am not sure what the solution is, the traders give some direction but the survival in the game is so good that I think I was just salty and wanting to immerse in the survival. It's a tough call to figure out if traders make the game better. They do tell you the locations of T5s later on which allows you to find those faster. 

I guess overall I'd just say their rewards are a bit too high and toning it down a little may be best since trader main appeal, at least to me, is giving the game some extra direction, and having merchants isn't bad either. I honestly don't know, I haven't even made it to day 7 once on A20 yet (only really started yesterday) and it has been a blast. Traders definitely make survival easier when I decide I will use them on a run though.

Does living off the land 2 (50% for one more crop) stack with living off the land 3? (triple crops). If not then that means you break even if you craft seeds on living off the land 2 right? Only profit if you get perk rank 3? I thought living off the land gave 2, 3, 4 crops which means you'd begin to profit at rank 2. 

7 minutes ago, Tmodloader said:

Does anyone know how stealth works with feral sense? 

To my understanding and from my experience, feral sense increases the detection range of the Z's and stealth decreases the 'broadcast' range of the player, effectively making it null. 

Feral sense does not appear to apply to sleepers, but there is a chance to wake up all of them inside a volume if you wake one.

Even with feral sense on the Z's can lose your trail if you crouch still and out of sight.

15 minutes ago, Neminsis said:

To my understanding and from my experience, feral sense increases the detection range of the Z's and stealth decreases the 'broadcast' range of the player, effectively making it null. 

Feral sense does not appear to apply to sleepers, but there is a chance to wake up all of them inside a volume if you wake one.

Even with feral sense on the Z's can lose your trail if you crouch still and out of sight.

When it first was implemented, I tested it with the debug tool that shows what the AI is doing.

It was cool to see them  "investigate" a noise where it occurred then go "wander" mode.  Line of sight is definitely enhanced as well as they would target me when facing me from farther away.

A great feature that adds alot for those looking for a more challenging experience. 😁

Archived