Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

12 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

image.thumb.png.c3eb2af3270c9c5cd59488e9faebb4a3.pngimage.thumb.png.21e3f89653e88a997a8327f5071a7f19.png

both of these poi buttons to open the doors arent opening when i pressed it it turned green nut nothing opened so gonna guess this is a bug?

Worked for me on a restore the power quest. It just happened to be the last quest I did today before stopping. 

23 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

What you want and what needs to be done are two totally separate things. We, the 1000+ hour players who want and love depth, are simply not the target audience, and that isn't an outcry, that's just life. That's just business. What's bad for business is a new player attempting to figure out what to do with the forge, getting frustrated, rage quitting the game, and leaving it a bad review. A good mainstream game should have every mechanic be easily accessible and easy to understand at the snap of a finger. It's a major problem, if you follow the subreddit - new players being puzzled with the mechanics of the forge (or "smelter") happens a lot more than you'd might think.

Regardless of what we want, the best possible system imho is for the forge, campfire, chem station, and cement mixer to be deleted and for the workbench to be the end-all-be-all, and for it to be simplified as well - no schematic, and only crafted with wood, glue, and short iron pipes. Additional pointers and hover over text would be beneficial as well.

Or at the very least, forgetting all that is above, a tutorial map that the game defaults to when creating a world.

I have to disagree very hard, the game literally has a tutorial button. You just have to use it. I used that button so much back in A17 because I had no idea where to find lead, iron, or nitrate. It's there for people to use

2 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

Waifu, already tested and confirmed. sorry about the caps. definitely solidly in the wastelands. sorry about the confusion

Still all in the forest for me. Granted, I've generated it on b238 and it's quite possible you have done so on an earlier build. This is what I get, with the spawn points being the little red dots on the roads: https://imgur.com/UTRn2Nn

3 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I see, that must be Multiplayer then. I've only tested in Single player.

It was nothing to do with multiplayer i don't think. The map itself was bad too. No forest city so no forest trader. "no trader" glitch after completing the starting quests due to that. we just also both spawned in the desert.

I suspected it was because he did not wipe a19 data and that screwed up map generation.

No world i generated have had any of those issues. No world he generated after wiping a19 data had any issues.

45 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

both of these poi buttons to open the doors arent opening when i pressed it it turned green nut nothing opened so gonna guess this is a bug?

For example, the Big Mama's Drive-in has a couple buttons that open things not immediately obvious...

I will say no more. 

2 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

For example, the Big Mama's Drive-in has a couple buttons that open things not immediately obvious...

I will say no more. 

I know that but these didn't open anything I had to manually break down the door that it was supposed to open the restore power quest is fine with it but by itself nothing happened in this same place it has happened quite a few times when I'm not on the quest

1 minute ago, Callum123456789 said:

I know that but these didn't open anything I had to manually break down the door that it was supposed to open the restore power quest is fine with it but by itself nothing happened 

The new stuff still needs a little more work it seems, post a bug report.

5 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I can confirm. One of my spawn points in A20 has been 3 meters away from the wasteland, and I got mauled by two zombie dogs within a few moments of spawning in. Haha

Can happen even so... started a new game on stable with my buddy, smack dab in the middle of the forest biome, I was doing the starter quest when a zombie dog came racing around the corner of a trailer at the edge of the town I spawned in by. He started taking huge bites out of me, I was whaling on his mangy hide with my pathetic level 1 wooden club I'd just crafted. Managed to jump up onto a big rock and figuring out how to get up took him long enough for me to get some stamina back. I barely managed to beat him to death, one more chomp and I'd been done for. Then I limped to the trader all infected and leg sprained and beat up.  On their way to join me my friend amazingly looted some honey, or I would've been in big trouble, because we haven't found any antibiotics since and it's now day 6. Fun start to a game lmao. My buddy and I decided to move to the snow biome early game, so we've also been nibbled on by a mountain lion and a few wolves since then. Somehow we've miraculously survived so far, though I got down to 1 hp at one point!

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Just curious, is there a way to edit the XML files to add more options to blood moon range? I was slightly disappointed that it skipped from 7 right to 10...

More options for the airdrop would be nice, too. I like to set the airdrop to the same interval as the bloodmoon, as kind of a "reward" the next day for surviving the night... but we've changed bloodmoon to 5 days this game and airdrop doesn't have that as an option.

6 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

Waifu, already tested and confirmed. sorry about the caps. definitely solidly in the wastelands. sorry about the confusion

And you are sure it was a dire wolf and not a normal wolf? AFAIK they are both black and the only difference is size.

4 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Can't say I remember a past alpha where exploration was more rewarding / immersive than it is now.  More POIs added/updated  then ever, the tile system more seamlessly connects everything in different configurations.  POis don't repeat within the same towns/cities like in the past.

It should only continue to get better. As more POIs and tiles get added.  Keep in mind different variations of each tile type can be made quickly for even more variety. (E.g. downtown_straight_02, 03, 04)

Sure, towns are great. But at the same time I have seen very little in between those cities that was worth exploring. POIs, hills, valleys, lakes,..., it all looks a bit homogeneous in the forest now. Since the RWG focus in A20 was on city features I hope @Kinyajuu has time for some wilderness decoration now.

4 hours ago, katarynna said:

It was nothing to do with multiplayer i don't think. The map itself was bad too. No forest city so no forest trader. "no trader" glitch after completing the starting quests due to that. we just also both spawned in the desert.

I suspected it was because he did not wipe a19 data and that screwed up map generation.

No world i generated have had any of those issues. No world he generated after wiping a19 data had any issues.

I don't understand why TFP has not added a check to NOT load worlds or savegames of other alphas and never generate an RWG world in a non-empty directory. Those two checks would have prevented dozens of false bug reports.

Okay guys time for early A20 REVIEW. 

So let's started.

+ :

=so much details like crates with vegetables, random parts of pipes , new roads looks so good, new crates too. 

= combine XDDDDDDDD THIS SO GOOD XD

= New POI - newsstands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but new farms looks good too uWu. 

= Change in traders outposts- stuff on shelfs suits soo good.

-:

damn new wood frame ( but it give block?) icon looks so bad- everything looks normal only this looks like something from diffrent sci fi game - think change this icon into wood frame with yellow sight with hammer on it could help.

- : props , new shapes hd textures give so realistic vibe but  so small number of zombie variants kill this feeling - okay first seen zombie - woman with 1 shoe. another zombie bussines guy. I went inside of farm. this same woman. go to home 2 this same zombie with black thirt, another bussiness guy etc.  Well i know they can add more variants but this is big problem now - and bandits will not solve problem. Because well still you will have this same zombie in this same small POI. so ofc you will have more types of enemies but you will still keep "clone army" effect

=:

water but i know it will be fixed in A21 so i don't complain about this

Summary: it looks much much better but... because of that small number of zombie variants hurt more 

5 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Can't say I remember a past alpha where exploration was more rewarding / immersive than it is now.  More POIs added/updated  then ever, the tile system more seamlessly connects everything in different configurations.  POis don't repeat within the same towns/cities like in the past.

It should only continue to get better. As more POIs and tiles get added.  Keep in mind different variations of each tile type can be made quickly for even more variety. (E.g. downtown_straight_02, 03, 04)

Alpha 9-11. I don't know about earlier because 9 is as far back as I remember (it might have even been 7 though now that I think about it)

Yeah, I gotta say the new downtown stuff is amazing. The bridges and aquaducts and plazas, I was pretty impressed.

6 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

I know that but these didn't open anything I had to manually break down the door that it was supposed to open the restore power quest is fine with it but by itself nothing happened in this same place it has happened quite a few times when I'm not on the quest

Is it supposed to work outside of a restore power quest?

17 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Honstly - snowdog need to be some type of easter egg in 7dtd XD

New Enemy: Snowdog

It's like a dire wolf but white, for sneaking you in the snow biome. 

Difference is, instead of eating you, it just runs you down and humps you to death.

If you do manage to survive, for the next nine weeks you get the "Pups on Board" effect. It cuts your stamina and move speed, ups your food requirement and debuffs any allies nearby, like an anti-Charismatic Nature. 

I am confident there will be a mod for this by the end of the day.

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Just curious, is there a way to edit the XML files to add more options to blood moon range? I was slightly disappointed that it skipped from 7 right to 10...

There are various settings on the setup - one of the Tabs before you start/continue the game.

Haven't looked into the XML's for this as the options available are fine for me so far.

Archived