Constantly starving now in early game.

ROTeN

Please make plots easier to make or put gardens back on the ground with a hoe, where they really belong like a16. Or make plots lootable like in early a18, Rotten meat is very hard to get in the beginning. Constantly starving now in early game. Buried supplies now have less food as well, and cans of food hardly fill you up. I eat a can of chille in real life and I am full, Eat 6 cans in 7dTd and starving again in minutes. Just ruins the fun Constantly looking /looting for food and lucky if you get one can.  Mostly water no food in containers, or if your lucky one or two. Still Starving (Muliplayer) 

Why do you insist on ruining such a GREAT game. schematies have their place agreed. but, to plant a garden. have a patotoe plant the patotoe why make it so complicated. If It's hard for a seasoned player, how on earth are new players gonna find this game fun. Cause I sure don't  A 19  took a GIANT step backwards IMO. So sad.

Starving? Farm plots cost making you cry? With these easy tricks, you will be too fat to run from zombies:

• Rotten meat is literally everywhere. Bathtubs, vultures, gore piles on the ground, those hazardous waste body bags, zombie dogs, zombie bears, coolers, and more! Need to make 50 or more plots by the first week? Visit the wasteland:  if you can survive you'll have 200+ rotten meat quickly.
  • Buried supplies are not food sources (they're just supplemental)! Get 1 point into animal tracker and spend a few in game hours hunting small game -- those little guys add up!
  • 1 Hunter (animal tracker) in a group, in a weeks time, can hunt enough while scavenging/looting/gearing up to gather over 1000 meat , or, enough for over 20 meat stews per person in an 8-man party and be ready for horde night solo (I tested this).

But really, farm plots are super easier than the hoe method... remember how long it took to make fertilizer and hoeing with the glitchy hit boxes? Soon as I decide to farm I always have enough to quickly make 6 or so farm plots. It's not hard! Just have to look at things differently.

One thing that I noticed is that you cannot overeat and keep your hunger away for a long time like in A18. I was downing meals expecting to not have to worry about food for a long while and found out that it does not stack, so eat only enough to get to what your health is, then wait until your next meal will get to that point again. It took me a while to figure that one out after eating 4 bacon and eggs 2 cans of this and that and then being hungry in a couple of hours.

Maybe I am confused about it, but I would overeat in A18 and my hunger would stay away for a long time, just something less to worry about.

2 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

One thing that I noticed is that you cannot overeat and keep your hunger away for a long time like A18. I was downing meals expecting not have to worry about food for a long while and found out that it does not stack, so eat only enough to get to what your health is, then wait until your next meal will get to that point again. It took me a while to figure that one out after eating 4 bacon and eggs 2 cans of this and that and then being hungry in a couple of hours.

Actually it does stack, but not the same as before. The counter for the food does stack, and if you're full it doesn't start depleting until your hunger drops so it keeps you topped off.

17 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Actually it does stack, but not the same as before. The counter for the food does stack, and if you're full it doesn't start depleting until your hunger drops so it keeps you topped off.

Keeps it topped off for about half and hour. So I was thinking the same thing as the OP in this case, it just works differently in A19. I cannot count the meals I wasted this way. Knowing this now I have enough food to feed an army at all times.

At least cooking is back to normal, I do more cooking in game than in real life, making Master Chef level 1 an easy pick early on.

Also make sure you stock up on fresh food at the traders, if they have eggs, raw meat, potatoes or corn be sure to buy them. even though you can find eggs for free in nests, most of the time I will just find feathers and they are cheap enough after a quest or whatever.

As of b180, I agree, early game I too was starving...on single player at that!! By day 5, I had exhausted all my supplies. 

However as one said, animal tracker is a game changer!! Yes it just senses small game in rabbits & chickens (on rank 1 of course), but they are literally everywhere once you can see them with animal tracker. 

Then obviously later game, more wolves, bears, etc start to show up so food is no longer an issue. 

Animal tracker bro, that's where it's at!

1 hour ago, ROTeN said:

If It's hard for a seasoned player, how on earth are new players gonna find this game fun.

Sometimes it’s easier to learn something new that you’ve never seen  than it is to adapt to a change when you are used to the old way. 

hmm its not that bad ,, the only time i came close to  starving is shothun messiah factory run at day  8 ( its too long  keep  food in bag :D )

fod bar is droping quickly now ... but

1) we also find lot of food in "kitchens" 

2) key is to remember easily accesible vending machines in city (you should always settle near one)  lot of poi like  booby trap or gas stations have vending machines outside selling food  for few dukes refreshing daily if iam not mistaken  ..traders have food too but more expensive and rrefreshing less often

3) candies  jail breakers are good early  for   5k/10k safes .. barter  ones  pay for self.... @%$*#! dropz can save you lot of time .. climbing down from some poi like factory   ... the one  with loot bonus .... its hard to tell if its worth or not   but  100 dukes is cheap enought to risk them   every candy is   5 /10 food thats not much for  100 dukes  but  if you utilize them properly  that food  is really  just free bonus on top of their function and helps with hunger overall

4) specific poi look for

farms ... they often have pigs in them and with no offense to any vegans around ... pigs = food jackpot

bear den ... if you can handle bears you have lot of meat ( didnt tried this one in a19  so no idea if they didnt change bears to zombie bears as  in underground construction site)

new shops   new specific shop poi  is truly full of loot of correct type

avoid new big shamway poi ( smaller than factory bug huge)  while shaway promises food .... its one of most empty poi in game currently

5) shamway sandwiches they are quite common in shawway boxes and while they can give you  food poisoning  ... take them as backup pr just eat if youa re  hungry ... they are still  100x better than rotten meat  moldy bread .... and many people instantly throw them away as trash loot

Vitamins first. Then the shamwiches.

Don't forget, extra levels in cooking and you can make better foods using the canned stuff.

Fish Tacos, Chili Dogs, Sham Chowder etc.

Even a few farm plots for taters/corn/shrooms and you can stave off starvation.

If the can doesn't have a recipies option, go ahead and eat it. If it does, try and save it to make the good stuff later.

Also, Iron stomach levels slow down the food drain too.

Personally, I do bacon and eggs just until I can make the better stuff.

Chicken rations/cat/dog food gets eaten rather than stored.  (yes, dogfood can be use to make granpa's stuff, but I find enough I don't have to make it)

couple of the soups as well.

Beef rations, Pasta, PEAS  (oh gods, never enough peas) etc you wanna save.  (peas get used in several recipies, I'm always running out)

Oh, pears are munched.

This is all for SP, in MP  one takes the cookery, the other the farming.  SP is a real balancing act early on.

(getting the rotting flesh was covered, and yes, grabbing enough in farming to cut the cost by 50% works, but does take a buncha points...)

it's literally not as bad as the OP is indicating on any level, but a little luck helps.

I've just started a single player game (no mods) and by day 3 I have something like 100 meat, enough eggs to have an emergency stack of bacon and eggs, some boiled and grilled meat. cans saved for future recipes, and non-recipe cans for emergency backup. I have 6 farm plots down, with 3 planted with a potato and two corn, and I have started to unlocked the living off the land perk. 

I've done nothing special here at all. gore blocks, annoying flappy-flaps, and undead dogs gave me a bunch of rotten flesh (and gore blocks are everywhere!), with an emergency run to a nitrate surface mine to get some nitrate. IN the process I got clay, and: boom: farm plots

A single hen, two rabbits, and a wolf gave me supplies for meat, then a chance run in with a bear (lots of arrows and a blunderbus from a  roof) and I'm laughing.

Animal Tracker level 1 FTW. It's a veritable Bunnypocalypse in my game. A little practice and now I'm a dead-shot with the crossbow as soon as I'm close enough to see the icon on the ground. I've got so much meat I don't know what to do with it and yes that is what she said. Add in Master Chef level 1 and I'm good to go.

Iv totally ran into the opposite situation, having stacks of shamway food and stacks of the chowder too (lucky recipe drop), apart from loads of cans of stuff.

It is a little slow to get plots laid down tho they are a little expensive in terms of materials (amounts). I always keep animal fat, bones, rotten flesh whenever I get the drops and in the first week you may have enough for a dozen plots without actively seeking out the materials, but they are not really something you focus on early game as you need the seeds, and you also need to know how to craft the seeds from schematics and to find them can be a PIA even from a trader. Also look at how long 1 type of veg takes to grow and you need 5 to make one seed. This is clearly not an early game thing to focus on and I really suggest hitting small POI, missions that are hopefully not >1km away and you will be fine for food.

19 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Starving? Farm plots cost making you cry? With these easy tricks, you will be too fat to run from zombies:

• Rotten meat is literally everywhere. Bathtubs, vultures, gore piles on the ground, those hazardous waste body bags, zombie dogs, zombie bears, coolers, and more! Need to make 50 or more plots by the first week? Visit the wasteland:  if you can survive you'll have 200+ rotten meat quickly.
  • Buried supplies are not food sources (they're just supplemental)! Get 1 point into animal tracker and spend a few in game hours hunting small game -- those little guys add up!
  • 1 Hunter (animal tracker) in a group, in a weeks time, can hunt enough while scavenging/looting/gearing up to gather over 1000 meat , or, enough for over 20 meat stews per person in an 8-man party and be ready for horde night solo (I tested this).

But really, farm plots are super easier than the hoe method... remember how long it took to make fertilizer and hoeing with the glitchy hit boxes? Soon as I decide to farm I always have enough to quickly make 6 or so farm plots. It's not hard! Just have to look at things differently.

This!  I've often been the hunter in my MP game.  One point makes a huge difference.  It's also by the time you're done having 4+ stacks of meat, you can always use a fergit it elixir and perk out of it later.

18 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

As of b180, I agree, early game I too was starving...on single player at that!! By day 5, I had exhausted all my supplies. 

However as one said, animal tracker is a game changer!! Yes it just senses small game in rabbits & chickens (on rank 1 of course), but they are literally everywhere once you can see them with animal tracker. 

Then obviously later game, more wolves, bears, etc start to show up so food is no longer an issue. 

Animal tracker bro, that's where it's at!

This is the secret in A19.  The spawn rate in small game is very high but they are hard to see through the grass.  Animal tracker is a game changer.  I did a hunting test with no animal tracker perk and Juggs hunting yield was at least x3 or more of what I spotted/killed in the 1st week....

When you finish your beginning quests, put one point in living off the land, now when you harvest an edible plant, you get two edibles instead of one, and one point in MasterChef, now you can make bacon and eggs. Loot as many Ness as you can find for eggs, shoot a few rabbits or chickens, and you can live off of bacon and eggs. You'll also need to find a cooking pot or a grill, I forget which.

Archived