Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

For a consumer's perspective,a18 is weapons meh but turrets nice

i disagree about the weapons. i love nearly all of them and you aren't just using a Iron club all day!

heck i love nearly all of them! the Stun baton is fun to use's , Spears while i would change a few things i still love them, Brawling is fun while i think the knuckle wraps could use's a small buff its fine, the Double barrel is My Fav weapon i just wished i could give it a long hunting barrel.

Aside from a few pet peeves, i love all weapons! and i can't wait for the "Tactical Assault Rifle" that may be My favored weapon just for the look!

Money is nice but we make the best game we can, that we want to play. We must be doing something right there are 19,000 players right now on a Tuesday afternoon and sales continue to rise since A18 launched experimental. Sorry its not alpha ___ any more but that ♥♥♥♥ wasn't that great. A18 is the future of the game, we're not changing too much moving forward, just adding stuff.

I have to say all this gold talk last year scared me and made me panic a bit, but with A18 you guys proved us Nay-sayers wrong and delivered an awesome Update. Im gonna be honest here, after A17 i kinda lost hope and feared you guys would rush for Gold and start the next game.

But even tho its rumored that you guys will do another game, it doesnt feel like you are giving up 7 Days anytime soon and im thankful for that.

After i sunk 500ish Hours into A18 alone im taking a break but i cant wait to see what you guys are cooking up for A19 or A20.

All that i read about A19 here makes me drool and im very curious how you are going to pull off the Drone.

Im staying tuned and please keep up the good work.

i disagree about the weapons. i love nearly all of them and you aren't just using a Iron club all day!

heck i love nearly all of them! the Stun baton is fun to use's , Spears while i would change a few things i still love them, Brawling is fun while i think the knuckle wraps could use's a small buff its fine, the Double barrel is My Fav weapon i just wished i could give it a long hunting barrel.

Aside from a few pet peeves, i love all weapons! and i can't wait for the "Tactical Assault Rifle" that may be My favored weapon just for the look!

And I agree with you. My comment is a mixup of people's thoughts in my coop games. I like objectivity, and while millenials are usually harsh, I do think content is inferior to balance on the list of changes.

Gameplay can turn a club and a couple of stones into loads of enjoyment.

Hi MM, a while ago you talked about an evolving system similar to the Fallout one in which you fill the cleared POIs with different threats each time you go there on a quest or certain time passes.

Those POIs would have the bandits, the cake and all the beauties with the npc AI of course.

On the same line, nowadays there are games that have some interesting evolving AI that result in a rich experience.

Have you thought of making an npc that behaves like a survivor, has a bit of level/hp advantage and performs tasks in real time while occupying the server slot of a human player? Looks like a Pimp Dream from the outside, but also seems to me that as of now, your team might be able to pull it off.

idk, what is your take on this matter?

We haven't thought about bots, (Npcs that level up and act like a human player) but will have normal npcs like traders, bandits, etc. They won't have much of a life other than to server their purpose. It sounds like a cool mod for a college programmer to tackle though, full on npcs that level up, farm, fight zeds, go looting, attack you if you threaten them or because they rolled evil on their character roll.

I agree with the hit boxes, I always miss head or neck and the swiping motion of most melee weapon makes that an unexpected failure. I probably should change my habit and try to hit the lower body instead. Still, I don't like the neck hitbox at aĺl

About the silence though: There is a big difference between cop and vulture, a cop can attack you any time and place. You have no chance to plan ahead

A vulture will generally attack you in two situations only and you can prepare:

1) When you are low health. Check the skies where they are clearly visible most of the time (well, don't try this under a tree :cocksure:).

2) When you enter a roof. Again you have the advantage, just look for the vultures hidden in plain sight.

I'm down for having Vultures and Hornets.

Forest/ burnt Forest: Hornets.

Snow and Desert: vultures.

Wastelands: Both.

A lot of people hated the hornets and thought it was off theme. Maybe they too didn't realize it was a game inspired from Fallout with mutated stuff.

From a consumer's perspective,a18 is weapons meh...

Maybe for you personally but the spear alone made A18 incredibly exciting. For 6 years the community had been asking for a spear and we got it in A18. There is nothing meh about that.

And that doesn't even include the other new weapons that were added.

I'm betting that most consumers were both very excited to get their hands on A18 and happy about what they got from A18 in the weapons department. The trick in speaking for general consumers is to not let your own personal preferences get in the way. Look at the history and the results. Historically, no other alpha delivered as many new and unique weapons as A18 did and the huge number of consumer requests for a spear which was fulfilled in A18 point to a different picture than you are painting. The results are an Alpha that is not only the most popular but is going to be the most popular for the longest period of time. Seeing as how new weapons were a big part of this alpha it is hard to dismiss them as simply meh in the minds of consumers.

My only gripe is that I wish you could have multiple spears on your belt and the game would remember the slots for all of them instead of just the first one. If I want to be an Aiel I should be allowed to be an Aiel.

And I agree with you. My comment is a mixup of people's thoughts in my coop games. I like objectivity, and while millenials are usually harsh, I do think content is inferior to balance on the list of changes.

Gameplay can turn a club and a couple of stones into loads of enjoyment.

oh my bad i didnt mean it like that

A lot of people hated the hornets and thought it was off theme. Maybe they too didn't realize it was a game inspired from Fallout with mutated stuff.

I always liked the hornets. Maybe not the AI they had at the time, but the hornets themselves. If I am not mistaken, your KS deal said there was going to be mutants and stuff, so they fit the theme.

Edit: was nothing like seeing a swarm of them gathered in the wasteland city. ;)

I always liked the hornets. Maybe not the AI they had at the time, but the hornets themselves. If I am not mistaken, your KS deal said there was going to be mutants and stuff, so they fit the theme.

i always found them funny!

While on xbox they rarely attack you! but then they did they always shocked me! and plus they goofy. but if they came back and if they updated them i think the team would make them scary! add a venom ability for them , Snakes and Spider zombies and better animations? i think people would really like it

but they are a thing of the past now and only in our minds

Edit: was nothing like seeing a swarm of them gathered in the wasteland city. ;)

I always hoped they would add mutant spiders, scorpions, and/or ants. But they went a different direction. I do like the vultures more than I ever liked the bees. Their shadow is my warning and it often freaks me out. But I can't count how many times seeing a shadow saved me at the last minute as well.

I have to say all this gold talk last year scared me and made me panic a bit, but with A18 you guys proved us Nay-sayers wrong and delivered an awesome Update. Im gonna be honest here, after A17 i kinda lost hope and feared you guys would rush for Gold and start the next game.

But even tho its rumored that you guys will do another game, it doesnt feel like you are giving up 7 Days anytime soon and im thankful for that.

After i sunk 500ish Hours into A18 alone im taking a break but i cant wait to see what you guys are cooking up for A19 or A20.

All that i read about A19 here makes me drool and im very curious how you are going to pull off the Drone.

Im staying tuned and please keep up the good work.

Agreed, prior to A18, I never got motivated enough to even try electricity for myself.

A18 lands, and now day 63+ intelligence/perception build. Even my brother and a few friends have come back and are enjoying the changes (went rented a dedicated server too)

Only negative feedback I heard was how the audio for the 4x4 sounded like a honda civic with a loud muffler but slow as hell lol.

Also, the shape selector menu wasnt intuitive until I showed them how to use it. (Minds blowned afterwards..😂)

Game definitely feels more complete. I'm looking forward to A19 and the final stretch to gold.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, it was probably the zombie purists that didnt like them. Although I can appreciate a Romero zombie mode, I like the mutated mix you guys had going.

Hi Madmole. Been keeping up to date by reading your comments once a week or so... since the latest A18 release.

Thank you, as always, for sharing this cool stuff with us.

I must say I really admire how you can keep on track with your vision even when the nay-sayers surround you at every step.

But that's comforting actually, 'cause I know YOU have the best vision for your game.

How do I know, you may ask? Because the game itself, in the end, is proof that you were right!

7DTD is not just a game anymore, this game is becoming one of the best Early Access experiences I've ever had. Really... I liked the time spent in EA almost as much as I liked each and every alpha version of the game. Seeing your team facing the problems that arise, trying to find a solution together... it's very entertaining and tells a lot about how passionate you all are about this "project". It's not just business anymore and I'm looking forward to experience with you all this last stretch of EA. It will be sad when all this will be over, so please, consider starting a new EA fot 7DTD II as soon as this one is finished! :-D

So, this is just to say: there's tons of players like me who support you Joel + TFP, all the way.

We want our voice to be heard (and you did hear us when needed) but in the end it's always: "In the Pimps We Trust"! :-)

Thanks Jost. We've had our ups and downs but everything is going great again so we're blessed to be able to take the time we need to make the game how we want it to be and not have to rush.

Ok I may be VERY DUMB BUT!

whats a sledge??? when i searched it up i came up with Sled and im confused about it!

but can't wait to see the Junker drone art

Its going to be a melee junk turret that smashes ♥♥♥♥ with a sledge hammer arm thing.

From a consumer's perspective,a18 is weapons meh but turrets nice, models meh ,optimization meh and balance wow. The core gameplay balance that YOU did was 70% of a18.

It wouldn't have been so apparent if there wasn't a solid "everything polished", but it came in the right moment at the right time. The most heroic deeds in development aren't usually the ones that take most time but the ones that steer the mighty ship to safety.

Edit: While I've never seen 7dtd more optimized than in its current state, a18 had a rough landing on that front due to the new render pipeline wip, texture streaming bugs and GPU and OS problems.

Thanks balance and gameplay are the most important aspects IMO and that was my number one goal to get the game fun and balanced again, 17 was just too many changes at once. Some great ideas but 18 polished it and drove it home so it was fun again.

Thanks for the details. Sounds like alot of cool new stuff. What are you most excited about currently?

Honestly no one feature, but how it all feels as a whole. I'm excited candy will thin the food loot a bit, making food harder to come by from vending machines, but also for the cool effects it can deliver and the flavor it brings to the game, I love branding.

But really I just love to play it as a whole and see everything all working. Getting late game and seeing how these new uber t3 firearms feel. Seeing (nearly) everything in new pbr glory will be really cool and the new lighting everything will get a visual upgrade.

Like for me A17 was a 4 and 18 took it to an 8 on the fun and polish scale. So I'm hoping 19 feels like a 9 and we'll hit a ten at beta.

Archived