Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Hey guys, any update to come on the combat system? I know it wasn't the most significant update last alpha, but the update to clubs having AOE damage was so huge for me and my friends. We are looking forward to anything that adds to and improves on the combat system.

As always, thanks for all the hard work. The new additions to A19 sound great!

20 new weapons and all that other stuff wasn't significant? Tough crowd I guess.

I was referring to A18.

oh

Still going to like ALPHA 19 THOUGH!!

I mean alot of weapons are coming in the Update!

The Tactical AR , combat shotgun/origin 12 , Whatever the sniper is , Deagle. thats alot still.

i still don't know where the deagle will be placed in terms of tiers for pistols

cuz there's the. tier 1: Pistol , tier 2 SMG , tier 3 magnum and 4 the deagle????

Holy Duke riding a vulture while eating a piece of Cone bread thats ALOT!

i think im going to love this update!

Mm was referring to A18...😂

Edit: MM beat me to it...

- - - Updated - - -

Good morning MM!

What work is currently on your plate or are you still doing some balancing testing?

Hey @madmole, I am liking the direction you guys are taking the game, except for one element that has been bugging me for a long time:

Zombie Vultures. Not just because they are significantly less interesting than the giant hornets, but because they are (in their current state) bad for the game in my opinion. Almost completely silent, very tiny hitboxed creatures that can fly. I understand the necessity of an aerial threat in this game to prevent easy camping from roofs and to keep people's guards up, but the way these birds have been designed is legitimately unfair.

The hornets were far better designed for the game than the vultures because they game some warning to the player that they were nearby with their buzzing (although it was annoying, it's better than complete silence). If you want the vultures to be sneaky and to catch the player by surprise, that's fine, I can actually agree with that--but some noise is needed here. Maybe their wing flapping can only be heard within about 6 blocks or so, just to give the player a chance to respond instead of suddenly ♥♥♥♥ting themselves when a completely undetectable bird starts swiping away at their health. The standard zombies are much better in this aspect, I can get snuck up on by a zombie from behind while I'm looting but at least I'm able to hear some footsteps or a mumble so I at least have a chance of responding before I get hit. When I get hit by a sneaky zombie I feel stupid and try to be more aware of my surroundings. Whenever I get hit by a silent flying creature from out of nowhere, I get really mad. It's not fun.

Another reason why the hornets were much better was because their hitboxes were large enough to the point where they weren't frustrating to fight. I gotta say it's really annoying to miss 3 melee attacks in a row when the point blank hitbox is so thin it just grazes right over them. This seems to be a general issue with melee attacks in the game (I'm currently using the knife in this play through, is this intentional?), but it is extremely prevalent with vultures. I have never had fun fighting a vulture in this game, but I have had enjoyment shooting down a bee from the air or beating it to death with a club because I am not cursing at my screen when my attack misses such a tiny object that is inflicting bleed and infection on me.

And thematically speaking, I miss the hornets. If you guys don't want to bring them back I understand, but they were legitimately the most interesting enemies in the game, especially when you came across giant honey combs in the burnt forest and saw a whole swarm nearby. "Whoa these hornets are huge! Where did they come from? Are they even zombies? Are they experiments? There's so many of them!" Zombie vultures are just... kind of lame. "Oh, a rotten bird. Hm."

Hey @madmole, I am liking the direction you guys are taking the game, except for one element that has been bugging me for a long time:

Zombie Vultures. Not just because they are significantly less interesting than the giant hornets, but because they are (in their current state) bad for the game in my opinion. Almost completely silent, very tiny hitboxed creatures that can fly. I understand the necessity of an aerial threat in this game to prevent easy camping from roofs and to keep people's guards up, but the way these birds have been designed is legitimately unfair.

I agree with the above but not with the remaining two paragraphs of his post. At the very least the wings should be hitboxed and a subtle sound. Many owls have near-silent flight. Most other birds make noise.

Somewhat related, I also miss the old stump model. There are two similar-looking stumps IRL on my approach to work that I've had the urge to go loot ever since I saw my first 7D2D stump. The new model...not so much.

Yeah it was. The elevator pitch for this game has always been Fallout meets The Walking dead in a destroyable/buildable world like Minecraft.

Always??? It has taken you guys more than a few years to end up with this decision. Everything up to A16 showed something completely different than what you say here.. So either you changed your mind or you just wasnt good enough to make what you wanted before... Then again you change your mind about what is good more often than some people here change underwear.

In any case I'm not complaining, I've had more than my fair share of fun in the past. I'm sure you find new customers with your constant changes. Money talks.

Always??? It has taken you guys more than a few years to end up with this decision. Everything up to A16 showed something completely different than what you say here.. So either you changed your mind or you just wasnt good enough to make what you wanted before... Then again you change your mind about what is good more often than some people here change underwear.

In any case I'm not complaining, I've had more than my fair share of fun in the past. I'm sure you find new customers with your constant changes. Money talks.

I know 1 person that changed his mind.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?114413-0XP-RolMod-A18&p=1081038&viewfull=1#post1081038

Cheers

The hornets were far better designed for the game than the vultures because they game some warning to the player that they were nearby with their buzzing (although it was annoying, it's better than complete silence). If you want the vultures to be sneaky and to catch the player by surprise, that's fine, I can actually agree with that--but some noise is needed here. Maybe their wing flapping can only be heard within about 6 blocks or so, just to give the player a chance to respond instead of suddenly ♥♥♥♥ting themselves when a completely undetectable bird starts swiping away at their health. The standard zombies are much better in this aspect, I can get snuck up on by a zombie from behind while I'm looting but at least I'm able to hear some footsteps or a mumble so I at least have a chance of responding before I get hit. When I get hit by a sneaky zombie I feel stupid and try to be more aware of my surroundings. Whenever I get hit by a silent flying creature from out of nowhere, I get really mad. It's not fun.

Another reason why the hornets were much better was because their hitboxes were large enough to the point where they weren't frustrating to fight. I gotta say it's really annoying to miss 3 melee attacks in a row when the point blank hitbox is so thin it just grazes right over them. This seems to be a general issue with melee attacks in the game (I'm currently using the knife in this play through, is this intentional?), but it is extremely prevalent with vultures. I have never had fun fighting a vulture in this game, but I have had enjoyment shooting down a bee from the air or beating it to death with a club because I am not cursing at my screen when my attack misses such a tiny object that is inflicting bleed and infection on me.

And thematically speaking, I miss the hornets. If you guys don't want to bring them back I understand, but they were legitimately the most interesting enemies in the game, especially when you came across giant honey combs in the burnt forest and saw a whole swarm nearby. "Whoa these hornets are huge! Where did they come from? Are they even zombies? Are they experiments? There's so many of them!" Zombie vultures are just... kind of lame. "Oh, a rotten bird. Hm."

I think the vultures are a better fit than the bees were. Unlike dog packs, I dont think they need a warning sound as their attacks are not as lethal.

I love how they stalk the player when their health is low which ticks that realism niche for me.

Archived