Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I always hoped they would add mutant spiders, scorpions, and/or ants. But they went a different direction. I do like the vultures more than I ever liked the bees. Their shadow is my warning and it often freaks me out. But I can't count how many times seeing a shadow saved me at the last minute as well.

Now you talking, ants and spiders I can but wonder ...

They would have been great as under ground / cave like baddies and would have provided some great variety...

There was a great mod at least that did place spiders into the game from what I recall, they were really well animated as well.

Assuming candy makes it into A19, I am curious if one could become addicted to it. Possible side-affects already exist for buff-giving drugs such as Fortbites, Recog, etc. and while candy isn't a drug, the similarities are there (between these consumables).

<Achievement Unlocked : Diabeetus>

A lot of people hated the hornets and thought it was off theme. Maybe they too didn't realize it was a game inspired from Fallout with mutated stuff.

People hated their constant buzzing. Especially when they hovered 300 feet above your base and you couldn't see or shoot them. Like the Tell Tale Heart, it drove us mad.

Other than that we loved them. Wished they'd come back for more aerial variety and biome aesthetic; minus the buzzing.

A lot of people hated the hornets and thought it was off theme. Maybe they too didn't realize it was a game inspired from Fallout with mutated stuff.

It was off theme. Inspiration alone can't make them on theme... only additional enemies like that can. Lack of motif.

It's like if van Gogh painted a solid yellow sun into Starry Night.

I was a player that felt giant mutated bees did not fit the game and was relieved to see them replaced. Personally I hope they never make a come back.

There isn't much evidence of large-scale mutations as a result of animal radiation exposure let alone insects IRL. I know this is a game but based upon the scientific studies/reports that have been published, no bee could ever mutate to the size of the bees that was in the game. Vulture zombies make much more sense and fits the theme imo.

Maybe for you personally but the spear alone made A18 incredibly exciting. For 6 years the community had been asking for a spear and we got it in A18. There is nothing meh about that.

And that doesn't even include the other new weapons that were added.

I'm betting that most consumers were both very excited to get their hands on A18 and happy about what they got from A18 in the weapons department. The trick in speaking for general consumers is to not let your own personal preferences get in the way. Look at the history and the results. Historically, no other alpha delivered as many new and unique weapons as A18 did and the huge number of consumer requests for a spear which was fulfilled in A18 point to a different picture than you are painting. The results are an Alpha that is not only the most popular but is going to be the most popular for the longest period of time. Seeing as how new weapons were a big part of this alpha it is hard to dismiss them as simply meh in the minds of consumers.

My only gripe is that I wish you could have multiple spears on your belt and the game would remember the slots for all of them instead of just the first one. If I want to be an Aiel I should be allowed to be an Aiel.

As I said, I meant it objectibly based on people I usually play with. Personally, I love every single weapon so much that I would lick'em all Snowdog's style and stuff. Having thousands of hours of gameplay and getting new meaningful content... what's not to like?

Spears are sweet, but I think they are a bit like staffs in TES games. There are many ways of using them in a meaningful enjoying way that devs usually just stick to one and call it a day. I would LOVE to have a "magnetic" mod that autoretrieves tier 2 and 3 spears. That would be the real deal. A stack of many? Meh. That really sounds like a mod.

I was a player that felt these did not fit the game and was relieved to see them replaced. Personally I hope they never make a come back. There isn't much evidence of large-scale mutations as a result of animal radiation exposure let alone insects IRL. I know this is a game but based upon the scientific studies/reports that have been published, no bee could ever mutate to the size of the bees that was in the game. Vulture zombies make much more sense and fits the theme imo.

meh. Gigantism or Elephantiasis could be used as a simple explaination.

And who cares, its a game. Bring'em back along with vultures.

I look forward to your edited response.

I was a player that felt these did not fit the game and was relieved to see them replaced. Personally I hope they never make a come back. There isn't much evidence of large-scale mutations as a result of animal radiation exposure let alone insects IRL. I know this is a game but based upon the scientific studies/reports that have been published, no bee could ever mutate to the size of the bees that was in the game. Vulture zombies make much more sense and fits the theme imo.

i think it would be cool if for Animals or zombies there could be Mutated types. for zombies they grow natural armor and special zombies gain new ability like spiders able to spit and feral's are Diem gods that will keep coming back unless their head is gone. and for animals they would grow more dangerous due to Breeding , Chemical and radiation exposure and others. they would look kinda the same but there some stuff that's "off" about them

Bears would have a Cream or white fur and their arms make the tank from L4D look like a Basic boi! and he has the strength of 3 bears! but he's very tasty!

Deers would have more Sharper Antlers almost Serrated and they will attack you, even the females have sharp horns kinda like a goat!

Boars are basically Grace

Wolfs and Coyotes would look almost "unnatural" with larger paws with sharp hook claws, big eyes and a large nose with almost saber tooth teeth and they are know for killing many survivors and are pest!

Rabbits just become meth monkeys! they are Hunch back and they almost look like rats, they leap at you and have sharp claws and try to tear your face off!

Chickens will just be Jerks JUST LIKE IN REAL LIFE!

Snakes are Larger and can spit venom that can blind you!

and Mountain lions basically become saber tooth tigers or lions and are just as deadly!

i had nothing better to do! so i may draw my idea for wasteland animals and post in on pics and vids

I always hoped they would add mutant spiders, scorpions, and/or ants. But they went a different direction. I do like the vultures more than I ever liked the bees. Their shadow is my warning and it often freaks me out. But I can't count how many times seeing a shadow saved me at the last minute as well.

yeah, it would have added more spice. Big ants would have been a nice little homage to the film "Them!(1954)".

It was off theme. Inspiration alone can't make them on theme... only additional enemies like that can. Lack of motif.

It's like if van Gogh painted a solid yellow sun into Starry Night.

It may have not ended up being so, but the start was there for it to be expanded upon. So yeah, it 'fit' part of the initial 'theme' of them wanting mutants at one point. It wasn't until people pitched a fit, because they didn't want them in a "Zombie" game. Hell, the game originally called the current "zombies", "infected", in the beginning.

Don't worry, the likelihood of them returning is next to nothing. you'll be fine.

I liked the hornets. I also don’t care about realism in 7dtd. It’s only going to hold back this games potential to do some really crazy fun things. I like Junk turrets and the idea of the junk drone and the metal club/ mace. I think there should be mutants and wild characters that had gotten really screwed up in this post nuclear event. I would even like a explosive mine launcher. Don’t keep all the cool crap on intelligence.

Ok, I see where this is going, I'll give you 10k cash and I'll change my steam review if you give me some info.

Will you review me as well? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Always??? It has taken you guys more than a few years to end up with this decision. Everything up to A16 showed something completely different than what you say here.. So either you changed your mind or you just wasnt good enough to make what you wanted before... Then again you change your mind about what is good more often than some people here change underwear.

In any case I'm not complaining, I've had more than my fair share of fun in the past. I'm sure you find new customers with your constant changes. Money talks.

I change my underwear when a new Alpha drops.. That's normal, right?

Is it going to be on sledge hammer going to be on strength tree. I just down want every cool mechanical weapon to be put in the intellect tree.

Everyone can use int stuff, it might just not be as powerful as when you perked into int.

Disadvantage is that people who like to do INT for other reasons but don't like those weapons need to spec into 2 trees. Which isn't all too different from someone who wants to play an AD&D priest but doesn't like blunt weapons. Probably the DM would tell him: "Make a dual-class"

Everyone can use int stuff, it might just not be as powerful as when you perked into int.

Disadvantage is that people who like to do INT for other reasons but don't like those weapons need to spec into 2 trees. Which isn't all too different from someone who wants to play an AD&D priest but doesn't like blunt weapons. Probably the DM would tell him: "Make a dual-class"

i think intellect should be used for items that are technological or Advanced. stuff like flamethrowers, Junkers , Stun batons and other Super advanced or even makeshift item

Chemical weapons like White phosphorus or thermite or even a Acid bomb that lures zombies?

Robots that are used to help you in combat like the Junker/junk turret , Junk hammer and Junker drone

special melee weapons that are super advanced versions of other classes like the Stun baton is the blunt weapon for intellect

Archived