Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Well they need to add a block and a shields first. More depth and rpg aspects would be a very nice things to have in 7 days to die. Combat is definitely one of 7dtds weakest aspects.

agreed

here's a Post i just made on the Pimp dreams for ideas so anyone can discuss it!

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?149376-Combat!-weapons-moves-etc

I guess no NPC/bandit art-work for future use is needed?

A recent post from TFP explained that many models are still generic assets from the unity-store and need to be replaced for 7D2D to have its own look (arguably a "need" from TFPs point of view, your mileage may vary).

They have a bunch of graphics artists on their payroll and I doubt all of them are needed for more than a year just to add some bandits. At least I suspect we won't get 50 different bandit models since a new bed art-work will make more of a difference than the addition of bandit nr. 50 will.

Is that a myth or is that confirmed (that LCB's prevent zombie respawns). Madmole? Fun Pimps? Care to settle this argument once and for all? Haha

Yes beds and lcb prevent spawns, but you have to clear them all first. Someone might put a bed down and missed a zed and then they come back and it *might* shuffle the sleep spots and then they see the zombie.

What would I use from my house as a club? A crowbar would be my first grab right off the wall. Then maybe a long framing hammer with the claws cut down/baseball bat (have wood and alum)/lawnmower blade with handle cut into one end/axe handle/shovel with handle cut and blade cut down in size.

What I wouldn't use is a iron bar with all those gears on the end. Maybe one hunk of metal out there but not multiples making it too head heavy as it is.

That is because you are uncreative, haven't thought it through and have 12" biceps :) Lets assume its the tier 3 club for a minute. A hammer is a hammer, so no. Sorry but I've used hammers more than anyone on this forum with years of auto body pounding out dents, heat shrinking metal, bending frames, etc and then my venture in real estate where I restored over 20 houses, loads of hammer time here as well framing, roofing, etc. A framing hammer without the head isn't very heavy, not even close to having the thump you need. The handle is deliberately light on those, all the weight is IN the head where it hits the nail for maximum impact and leverage. Grind that down and you have a light weight metal stick.

A bat, yeah perfect but lets say they break, and they do. As a guy who breaks bats all day you are tired of it, and construct the ultimate zombie killing club, something heavy, with junk on the end to help tear flesh and put dents or holes in their head while you are swinging, rather than just a contusion. Some gears welded to a shaft, a wrap around hand guard to really secure the grip even if you get hit from behind and stunned your trust club doesn't fall out of your hand. Its perfect.

Do consider the wood burning stove. It's weird making a campfire indoors. You already have the item in the game. Just make it cook a little faster and burn for a little longer.

yeah.

later in game you got M60s on racks , RPGS , bombs , A car and you are fighting Armies of zombies.\

then you cook food on your campfire like some caveman (*insert joke about me*)

A bat, yeah perfect but lets say they break, and they do. As a guy who breaks bats all day you are tired of it, and construct the ultimate zombie killing club, something heavy, with junk on the end to help tear flesh and put dents or holes in their head while you are swinging, rather than just a contusion. Some gears welded to a shaft, a wrap around hand guard to really secure the grip even if you get hit from behind and stunned your trust club doesn't fall out of your hand. Its perfect.

This is the sense of progression that's missing by replacing the simple wooden club with a laser-guided steampunk mace.

That's why there were 126 pages one day, and the next 122. Why is he deleting posts? I haven't noticed any off topic posts recently.

I was wondering the same (although I would never question his moderation actions publically), as all those posts were good imo and most were on topic. Although some were arguementative. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I have no doubt Roland had good reason to, so my faith remains with his decisions when it comes to moving posts. :)

FYI Roland just moved them over here instead of deleting. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?148397-Dev-Diary-arguing

@Joel, hi! Small question for you )

We will have new beds and mattresses in 19 Alpha, that's cool.

I would like to have a beautiful bed on my main base, not just a sleeping bag.

Is it possible to add the ability to select such beds in the area of ​​the claims unit or to otherwise activate this bed as a spawn point, without having to create a new bed and reinstall it?

So one could add to the game the ability to activate any bed or mattress as a spawn point, even if they are the spawn point of other players. To compensate for the creation time of a new sleeping bag, you can simply add an activation timer, as in a container search.

Make a sleeping bag is easy, why not give the player the opportunity to activate any beds, mattresses, sofas and other sleeping places?

Not unless we add a way to pick up blocks, but there are too many game play ramifications to that, so I would just suggest to get off your ass and craft the bed you want. There are 3 I think you can pick from.

This is the sense of progression that's missing by replacing the simple wooden club with a laser-guided steampunk mace.

Technically aka nitpickery that junk-bat has not much in common with steampunk (no steam, no brass, no 19th century components) nor any lasers attached.

Isn't that style called "post-apocalyptic"?. And, while we're on it, 7D2D certainly is post-apocalyptic, just not yet decayed to Mad Max 2/Fallout tech level.

That is because you are uncreative, haven't thought it through and have 12" biceps :) Lets assume its the tier 3 club for a minute. A hammer is a hammer, so no. Sorry but I've used hammers more than anyone on this forum with years of auto body pounding out dents, heat shrinking metal, bending frames, etc and then my venture in real estate where I restored over 20 houses, loads of hammer time here as well framing, roofing, etc. A framing hammer without the head isn't very heavy, not even close to having the thump you need. The handle is deliberately light on those, all the weight is IN the head where it hits the nail for maximum impact and leverage. Grind that down and you have a light weight metal stick.

Sorry MM, but no!

I wouldn't use anything like that, because the chance of that weapon to get stuck in a Zed's head/body is far too high. Everything with a kind of bladed head has a strong possibily to cut through the skull and then you can't retrieve it, unless you are a master of that weapon. Think of an axe chopping a tree....

Or the Zeds fall down and you can't hold your grip on this stuck weapon and temporarily loose it.

I would prefer every blunt weapon which is always available and retrievable... And, much less risk of being sprayed with blood, which may cause infection.

EDIT: Pls add the possibility to share the king sized bed with another player.

Repeating some relevant things that were moved because the discussion stopped being relevant:

-I think it would be great if there was also a practical reason to use better beds and other decoration items.

For example beds giving you a small buff while being your spawn point, or had increased spawn protection radius compared to sleeping bags.

-I think the GS formula could use some spicing up, in order for it not to be so linear and level dependent, by e.g. adding a few extra factors and a bit of randomness.

We've talked about a bed buff if you are near it, but nothing on the roadmap.

Can I ask why the bed model needed updating? Can't imagine it must have been high on the list of current priorities ^^

Everything has to be redone for proper PBR and linear lighting and those beds are probably alpha 1, so that is why. A lot was redone in A17 and 18 though, but gamma lighting was killing the pixels. Everything will look amazing in 19, except whatever else needs done at that point. It will be on going for a while but 19 will start looking like a modern era game in many ways. We'll never have the organic look of a static world game, but its going to look nicer than ever.

That would be good. Block would need a third button. Probably your reload button would work for melee weapons. If you have a gun you’ll be trading your iron-sight with block.

Fallout 4 just uses alt. You can weapon bash/block with it. I never really got into it much since guns and bullets are abundant. Enemies can block your melee but then you can just use vats and it hoses them. We've talked about a block but nothing ever comes of it. Its just another way to make the game easier forcing a load of rebalance IMO. At this point I say its something better suited for a sequel where we can design it from the ground up as part of the game play instead of retro fitting it in.

<snip> We'll never have the organic look of a static world game, but its going to look nicer than ever.

I thought the graphical improvements in A18 alone was amazing and to hear that there will be more improvements in A19....*big smile* sounds good to me! For a voxel game, 7DTD already looks amazing compared to the vast majority of other voxel based titles available on the market today. :)

Well they need to add a block and a shields first. More depth and rpg aspects would be a very nice things to have in 7 days to die. Combat is definitely one of 7dtds weakest aspects.

I disagree. The combat has improved a ton over the years and is fun. Is it AAA quality? No. We're like Bethesda, you get a ton of moderate quality features but nothing is super polished or jaw dropping like other AAA games that have 2 features they focus on. That is the trade off when you do a wide scope game with loads of features.

The meshes are probably done already. The AI and animation controllers will be harder to do, especially since the entire job appears to the responsibility of a single person.

We're bringing on more staff all the time. Faatal has a side kick he's worked with before we brought on and we're looking at another guy to bolster the staff for the gold push. Bandits are not coming to A19 unless we push the date. Its just not needed, there is already a ton of new content in 19, and bandits can come later. The concepts are done and we're modeling the bandits now.

19 will finish off guns so there will be 3 tiers of all ranged weapons, bring candy to the game, perk rebalance, loads of new art, new music and poi content, and rebalanced loot, to name a few features, plus any pre 18 weapon got redone. So brand new magnum, pistol, desert eagle, etc. Junk drone will be cool AF.

I disagree. The combat has improved a ton over the years and is fun. Is it AAA quality? No. We're like Bethesda, you get a ton of moderate quality features but nothing is super polished or jaw dropping like other AAA games that have 2 features they focus on. That is the trade off when you do a wide scope game with loads of features.

most of the time you just run backwards. unless you uses a hammer that knocks them off their feet you just run back. yes it fun at times but most of the time you run back while attacking.

its not horrible but could uses some more work imp. the Heavy attack was a Big in my book!

- - - Updated - - -

We're bringing on more staff all the time. Faatal has a side kick he's worked with before we brought on and we're looking at another guy to bolster the staff for the gold push. Bandits are not coming to A19 unless we push the date. Its just not needed, there is already a ton of new content in 19, and bandits can come later. The concepts are done and we're modeling the bandits now.

19 will finish off guns so there will be 3 tiers of all ranged weapons, bring candy to the game, perk rebalance, loads of new art, new music and poi content, and rebalanced loot, to name a few features, plus any pre 18 weapon got redone. So brand new magnum, pistol, desert eagle, etc. Junk drone will be cool AF.

1: GIVE IT TO ME!

2: if the Desert eagle is going to be in game! what about the 44? so will it be!

1: Pistol , 2: SMG , 3: 44.mag , 4: deagle??????

Archived