Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

47 minutes ago, madmole said:

He is called "The Gasser" now and will emit a cloud of toxic poison so yeah you don't want to melee him without protection. Snowdog probably will though.

He is special infected now.

WHAT DOES HE DO, WHEN WILL HE BE OUT! IS HE TANKY!! SO MANY QUESTIONS! SO LITTLE TIME!

hey that sounds familiar... Hmmmm it reminds me of a guy @RhinoW i heard off that drew something like that..... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

WHAT DOES HE DO, WHEN WILL HE BE OUT! IS HE TANKY!! SO MANY QUESTIONS! SO LITTLE TIME!

Take a breath there, kiddo 😂

44 minutes ago, madmole said:

He is called "The Gasser" now and will emit a cloud of toxic poison so yeah you don't want to melee him without protection.

7 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

hey that sounds familiar... Hmmmm it reminds me of a guy @RhinoW i heard off that drew something like that..... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Haha, well it ain't exactly the newest Tesla =P

37 minutes ago, madmole said:

These are actual screenshots with some color correction is all. Some people (our professional artists) just know how to take great screenshots. A certain time of day, zombie at the right moment, angles, etc all make a huge difference. It is an art like professional photography.

This, times 1000.  I took a screen for my medieval "m-word" and it's frikkin' beautiful with the right lighting, angle, etc... you can get really great screens of the game if you kinda know what you're doing.

54 minutes ago, Laynie said:

@MechanicalLens 

here tha' guz :D

@Roland or @madmole where did the merch shop go? I saw it but it didnt have items and now it's gone completely. Is it gone just for now or is my chance to get a t-shirt and cup gone for ever?

You have to buy merch the day it comes out, stuff sells out fast AF, like Bradley Martyn's or Odin wear lol.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

Just because I say something is not a big deal, does not mean it won't be improved. It just means I don't think it is important compared to dozens of the 207 tickets currently assigned to me. How destroy area targets blocks is probably going to change anyway, due to me not liking how some of it works.

As always, thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

These are actual screenshots with some color correction is all. Some people (our professional artists) just know how to take great screenshots. A certain time of day, zombie at the right moment, angles, etc all make a huge difference. It is an art like professional photography.

I only counted 27. Set your horde size to 64 alive and you'll see twice as many as in that screenshot.

EDIT: Not to mention a single screamer can get you 64 on screen very fast if you don't kill her quick enough, or wandering horde.

@madmole First of all, I don't mean to be blunt, but this is intended to be a plain and honest criticism the artist that makes big mamma and the club girl is too SLOW and he doesn't even deliver on the scary theme. His art skill is good, but he is too timid doing sculpts and the final product is lacking in gory detail compared to (not gonna compare him to the crawler guy, who is the best you have on creative organic entity design) the guy that made this Zd on the left, for example.ss_66ab2c612cb28b4b61974bcb3380a69274c4c127.1920x1080.jpg?t=1598303144

It pains me to see his method (talking about the Big Mamma guy, not giving names), because he is REALLY good, but needs to make a couple of focal points for the Zd and sculp the hell out of it ( an eye out, a missing face, etc). He instead makes 30 dresses and timid approaches and won't have the guts to ACT on the model and screw with it like a champ. And with Zbrush. Key being Zbrush here.

Big Mamma has neither of said focal points: Fat (common thing in America) Ugly (it happens) Scary? ( as scary as a fat lady in a plane with the period) 

On top of it, if you don't sculp a gory/horrifying enough detail and the skin color is normal, she seems alive and not undead. 

She instead has a little blood to show for it and a bite that isn't even deep and fleshy enough. Boring. Quality of the model per se? , good, but plain and not creative.

So break the dress, take a bloated tit out, spill her guts, make her stand out. Put the crawler guy to shame, but Big Mamma is not good enough compared to ALL the rest in her current state.

Don't take it the bad way. But don't defend the modeller either. Sometimes cutting someone some slack results in, well, a "meh" asset. 

Now, his NPC skills might stand out better, as they don't need that much of a theme.

15 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

As always, thanks for the info.

@madmole First of all, I don't mean to be blunt, but this is intended to be a plain and honest criticism the artist that makes big mamma and the club girl is too SLOW and he doesn't even deliver on the scary theme. His art skill is good, but he is too timid doing sculpts and the final product is lacking in gory detail compared to (not gonna compare him to the crawler guy, who is the best you have on creative organic entity design) the guy that made this Zd on the left, for example.ss_66ab2c612cb28b4b61974bcb3380a69274c4c127.1920x1080.jpg?t=1598303144

It pains me to see his method (talking about the Big Mamma guy, not giving names), because he is REALLY good, but needs to make a couple of focal points for the Zd and sculp the hell out of it ( an eye out, a missing face, etc). He instead makes 30 dresses and timid approaches and won't have the guts to ACT on the model and screw with it like a champ. And with Zbrush. Key being Zbrush here.

Big Mamma has neither of said focal points: Fat (common thing in America) Ugly (it happens) Scary? ( as scary as a fat lady in a plane with the period) 

On top of it, if you don't sculp a gory/horrifying enough detail and the skin color is normal, she seems alive and not undead. 

She instead has a little blood to show for it and a bite that isn't even deep and fleshy enough. Boring. Quality of the model per se? , good, but plain and not creative.

So break the dress, take a bloated tit out, spill her guts, make her stand out. Put the crawler guy to shame, but Big Mamma is not good enough compared to ALL the rest in her current state.

Don't take it the bad way. But don't defend the modeller either. Sometimes cutting someone some slack results in, well, a "meh" asset. 

Now, his NPC skills might stand out better, as they don't need that much of a theme.

He simply made what we gave him on a character sheet. We make small adjustments as needed to make sure everything looks like it was made by the same guy, but not every zombie needs to have a bunch of disgusting gore or it simply makes it feel over done and then when you do see it you are numb to it and it has no impact.

No offense, but we don't need art critique, it just isn't helpful and clogs up the thread and wastes my time when I could be answering real questions. We have the some of the best in the industry. Alpha isn't gold, it's just another stamp on the roadmap to gold. We refine stuff constantly.

3 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

including that one ticket with massive zombie reach as a client in peer to peer games ;)

I would not call it massive. Excessive would be a better word. Then again the player reach is also long. A lot of it comes down to latency. Playing on slow connections makes for a worse experience.

3 hours ago, Kalen said:

No, you were right.... just changing my resolution to 2560x1080 had a drastic impact.   Ultra runs pretty well.  I can't believe I didn't think to try that before.

Resolution has a large impact on 7dtd. Many people use resolutions above what their GPU can handle well, leading to poor FPS. Hopefully on Monday we shall see what nVidia has coming in the RTX 30x0 series for even better game play. I'll play at 4k on my 2070, but will use Dynamic Res at 66% to get FPS near 60. Hope to get a 3070 by the end of year and see if it can do pure 4k at 60.

7 minutes ago, madmole said:

He simply made what we gave him on a character sheet. We make small adjustments as needed to make sure everything looks like it was made by the same guy, but not every zombie needs to have a bunch of disgusting gore or it simply makes it feel over done and then when you do see it you are numb to it and it has no impact.

No offense, but we don't need art critique, it just isn't helpful and clogs up the thread and wastes my time when I could be answering real questions. We have the some of the best in the industry. Alpha isn't gold, it's just another stamp on the roadmap to gold. We refine stuff constantly.

Alright, here's at least one relevant question headed your way. I believe this has already been brought up before, but what are your thoughts on possibly making the night vision goggles a helmet mod rather than a separate piece of eyewear?

11 minutes ago, madmole said:

I understand and thank you for the quick answer. Just an honest opinion. Those are my thoughts since alpha 19 Zd rework. Every model is good enough but that one because of the lack of detailed focal points that results in a subpar gameplay "feel" for me, not implying it lacks in "dev quality" (Poly count, poly grid, clothing treatment, panties and animation-friendly corners are PERFECT) .

+1 for variety whatever you decide. 

4 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I understand and thank you for the quick answer. Just an honest opinion. Those are my thoughts since alpha 19 Zd rework. Every model is good enough but that one because of the lack of detailed focal points that results in a subpar gameplay "feel" for me, not implying it lacks in "dev quality" (Poly count, poly grid, clothing treatment, panties and animation-friendly corners are PERFECT) .

He already said no thank you for the art critique...no reason to repeat yourself...😅

6 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I understand and thank you for the quick answer. Just an honest opinion.

You're welcome.  You clearly are passionate about that stuff based on your detailed critique.  I think Big mama looks way better then the old version.  Just an honest opinion. 😅

The only thing I miss about the old one was her size. 

However, I get they are trying to vary zed height/sizes so will just take some getting use to.

5 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

then Madmole must hate ever word that comes out my mouth when i put "my opinion" 

Pride, contrary to popular believe, improves wise people by protecting their "social status" and allowing oneself room for improvement. Now, you need to act on it and ask your girlfriend for a refund.

Edit: Don't

17 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Speaking of HD models, I wonder if they're gonna redo the zombie dog. That one could look better, imo. Right now, if you look at it up front, it looks like a normal dog.

Archived