Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Well I did 40 days and so far A19 is the best overall.

The zombie AI during BM appears to be four different attack modes.  

1) The A18 path directly to the player.

2) The "Duck and Weave mode".  I believe this is to get the player to waste ammo on their dodging behavior while others attack the walls.

3) The "Hit here hit there mode".  The zombie will hit once or twice and move to another location.  Keeping the player off balance?

4) The A16 all in on one spot mode".  Used when the AI thinks its found a weak spot?

I noticed that mode #1 really kicks in at 3:30 am.  I guess its a last Banzai charge attempt to kill off the player?

This could also be because I picked a complex POI (The large Hardware store with the garden area on the right).  Its fun however!

7 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

@madmole

Since you're already talking about LCB, I've got a question... is it normal that in A19 single player I can't place a LCB anymore?

I get this "no you can't" sound whenever I try to place one (anywhere) so I just thought you disabled LCBs in SP altogether. Is that so? 🤨

You're probably too close to a trader.

8 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

Well I did 40 days and so far A19 is the best overall.

The zombie AI during BM appears to be four different attack modes.  

1) The A18 path directly to the player.

2) The "Duck and Weave mode".  I believe this is to get the player to waste ammo on their dodging behavior while others attack the walls.

3) The "Hit here hit there mode".  The zombie will hit once or twice and move to another location.  Keeping the player off balance?

4) The A16 all in on one spot mode".  Used when the AI thinks its found a weak spot?

I noticed that mode #1 really kicks in at 3:30 am.  I guess its a last Banzai charge attempt to kill off the player?

This could also be because I picked a complex POI (The large Hardware store with the garden area on the right).  Its fun however!

I believe you mean the A17 all in one spot mode, because A16 was the peak of bloodmoon interaction. Yes they did come from only one general direction, but they always tried to go through open entrances (1 gate compound base with scrapyard PoI as base, the most fun i've ever had in bloodmoons) and never focused on just 1 block, in the end, your traps worked and you could predict their movement (duh, you're a human, they're zombies). 

In alpha 17 i tried the same strategy (because i love making realistic bases to fight off zombies) this time with 2 gates instead of one, i used that one military poi with the garage and 2 buildings as the base. In the end, as soon as 1 concrete block got weaker than the rest, they all targeted THE SAME 2 blocks, which made everything i put around the base completely useless. A17 new AI definitely ruined bloodmoons for me, and A19 is still the same to be honest, that's why people make stupid @%$*#! unrealistic bloodmoon slaughterhouses instead of proper bases, it's the only reliable way to defend a place. The second being on the rooftop of a random PoI, breaking any connection to there and waiting the bloodmoon out...

Speaking of blood moons, can we get an option or something to not have the horde spawning end abruptly? Quite often its a few hours of spawning and then nothing for the rest of the night. It used to be all night if i recall correctly? 

1 hour ago, Worrun said:

I was a construction worker for 10 years IRL, why can't i transfer those skills in to the game? This should be a feature, allow us to connect a USB to our belly button's and xfer data. My character is about 1 10th of my strength

This might explain some players desire to have mining easier... for them it is IRL and we sometimes forget the struggle we felt learning it, growing our muscles, calluses, cardio ability, etc. The game tries to simulate this to reward players for investing but subconsciously us strong people are like WHAT I CAN LIFT THAT!!! THIS GAME IS BROKEN! lol.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

nerdpoling is used legitimately by crafters to build high structures. There were lots of discussions about this and solutions offered. Until now the best solution is still to allow nerpoling and accept the disadvantage

Use some self control.

This is why there are no longer t4 and 5 "fetch" quests because it was way too easy to nerd pole/ladder to the loot area and win with little risk or time invested. It is fun the first time or two, then you feel like a cheating scumbag.

Even if we removed scaffolds, frames, and even ladders you could still make stairs up there, jump out of the gyro, etc. There is literally no way to stop people from getting to those places. The less police work we have to do and the more freedom players have to think through situations in a variety of ways the better IMO.

34 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

@madmole

Since you're already talking about LCB, I've got a question... is it normal that in A19 single player I can't place a LCB anymore?

I get this "no you can't" sound whenever I try to place one (anywhere) so I just thought you disabled LCBs in SP altogether. Is that so? 🤨

No they work just fine. Just not right next door to traders lol.

27 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

Also, what happened to RWG?

Please don't be vague.

16 minutes ago, Jaron105 said:

Speaking of blood moons, can we get an option or something to not have the horde spawning end abruptly? Quite often its a few hours of spawning and then nothing for the rest of the night. It used to be all night if i recall correctly? 

It gets there eventually. We're all for options that give the game legs or greater/lesser challenge though.

36 minutes ago, Gazz said:

As far as I know the game does not lock you out of certain skills at all.

You can get 303 skill points which lets you max out pretty much everything and can rearrange your points at any time with the trader potion.

It's just an issue with players who want to max out all the perks NOW. =P

hVzWPpR.gif

2 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

Roads leading nowhere, roads with cliffs, crazy unnatural meadows, this didn't happened in A18.4 at all.

Is there any changes made to RWG? or what?

Please read the patch notes. RWG will get improved in the future.

4 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

Roads leading nowhere, roads with cliffs, crazy unnatural meadows, this didn't happened in A18.4 at all.

i like the roads that abruptly end, makes me think that the wildlife has overgrown that part of the road and beyond for roleplay purposes, cause who knows how long the zombies have been here since you were dumped off by the duke right.

Also i have a question, where can I write down some feedback on alpha 19? Is it here? Or is there going to be a tab for when it eventually goes out of experimental? I got some notepads waiting to be unchained.

20 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

I always found the maps pretty funky myself, world generators I find interesting and although the roads do go wiggly giggly at times I just tell myself there been earth quakes and land slides etc. fits into the narrative then for me.

Hey @madmole i have a thought for a book series in the game, what if we made a book that helped to improve the stacks of ammo we can carry with a description like.....

Surviving in the apocolypse has taught me much, including how to better pack your ammo, now you can carry 25% more of .... ammo, could also be used for other types of items as well, what do you think?

Anyone find a lootable Fir tree in Navezgane? It was a fir tree next to Trader Jen at 560 61 480 . All it gave me was 7 feathers. Thought it was weird and took a snapshot of the tree with the loot icon, but the "loot container" dialogue is absent in the photo for some reason, so I won't include it.

1 minute ago, XCOUNTRY said:

Anyone find a lootable Fir tree in Navezgane? It was a fir tree next to Trader Jen at 560 61 480 . All it gave me was 7 feathers. Thought it was weird and took a snapshot of the tree with the loot icon, but the "loot container" dialogue is absent in the photo for some reason, so I won't include it.

Your world is haunted.

4 hours ago, Trunks_Budo said:

You are falsely assuming that agility should be about stealth.

Nobody likes stealth, literally nobody, and you're desperate to pretend it belongs. Stealth means nothing, when you have scripted zombies falling through ceilings, immediately detecting you regardless of your "stealth".

I like Stealth and I use it to lower the damage I take. I say this as a STR/FORT player.

23 minutes ago, madmole said:

Please read the patch notes. RWG will get improved in the future.

I did, and I know it's getting better whenever Robert has the time and help he needs to do so, but what I don't understand is why it changed from the previous alpha so abruptly

3 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

I did, and I know it's getting better whenever Robert has the time and help he needs to do so, but what I don't understand is why it changed from the previous alpha so abruptly

Dont worry, they have a "strike team" on it already.

15 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

In what way?  Janky roads and cliffs have been in RWG for as long as I can remember...

In A19 POI distribute looks better and forest biome centralized to help new players and what I assume is a synergy with the new trader to trader quests...

13 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

In A19 POI distribute looks better and forest biome centralized to help new players and what I assume is a synergy with the new trader to trader quests...

Yeah I love A19's POI placement, I'm just talking about roads and huge cliffs in the middle of them, I'll post a couple screenshots when I get home from work to show what I mean.

6 hours ago, Laz Man said:

You bring up a good point madmole.  My brother made me a tuna gravy toast yesterday and was surprised the food replenishment was 90.  I can see how much you unlocking those, the hunger issue goes away pretty quickly.

I like how as a player there is an urgency to make better foods or reach the whining stage...Sounds like what most people would do in an actual apocalypse LOL....

"What do you mean i can't go to the grocery store on the corner and get all the food I need?"

Wait til you see the spaghetti one...122 food!!!

Archived