Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

9 minutes ago, Trunks_Budo said:

You are falsely assuming that agility should be about stealth.

Nobody likes stealth, literally nobody, and you're desperate to pretend it belongs. Stealth means nothing, when you have scripted zombies falling through ceilings, immediately detecting you regardless of your "stealth".

Nobody? I'm sorry did some fictitious organization recruit you to be their president and you are speaking on behalf of the majority of the player base? No, so calm down and relax. It isn't gold yet but we're not going to reinvent it for A19. I know a lot of people who like stealth. It will be much cooler when bandits are in.

If run and gun is such a must have I can always make a sub perk under every other weapon skill that lets you have it, or couple it with the attribute. So your running and gunning gets better as you raise your attribute.

1 minute ago, madmole said:

Nobody? I'm sorry did some fictitious organization recruit you to be their president and you are speaking on behalf of the majority of the player base? No, so calm down and relax. It isn't gold yet but we're not going to reinvent it for A19. I know a lot of people who like stealth. It will be much cooler when bandits are in.

If run and gun is such a must have I can always make a sub perk under every other weapon skill that lets you have it, or couple it with the attribute. So your running and gunning gets better as you raise your attribute.

Finally some actual acknowledgement of what the hell I was saying that isn't caked in thoughts of nothing being wrong. THANK YOU.

Seriously you're the one spear-heading this project. Don't spear-head it into oblivion. You know... Like spears in multiplayer right now, vanishing when thrown. Don't make your game vanish like that with pride. Accept the fact that I know what the @%$*#! I'm talking about when I raise a concern. You said "Nice to see people enjoying the stealth build!" to me the other day. Funny thing is, I was pure agility, zero stealth, totally overpowered, and scratching my head.

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

Just ignore him madmole. He's not worth it.

(Every opinion is welcome here, Trunks_Budo. Unless you're being disrespectful, offensive, and a general @#&%@%$ in the process. We're all adults here, except for Adam (possibly others). Act like one. Please.)

(Also, Run & Gun isn't "needed"; trust me, I know, because I go complete Rambo style whenever I see zombies. Not once have I been tempted by quicker reload times when sprinting, and I've been doing just fine. :) )

Had to start a new savegame as Navezgane simply felt too boring for me. Not too bad though, starting a new game is pretty exciting and renders putting new ideas into practice possible.

Two things:

1) Have tried putting brightness on 15 % as advertised by some guys here due to too much light at night. As I have said this makes the game in general much much darker and to be honest, it looks stupid. With A19 the lighting at daytime looks really awesome on standard brightness, setting that to 15 % takes away a lot of the beauty. Won't do that. Guess I have to live with too bright nights for the moment.

2) With my new savegame on a custom random world I wanted to try an underground base from day 1. However, digging holes is pretty weird on that map. The alignment for holes is always angular to anything else above ground. See my attached image where the wooden block can be placed as a square but the holes appear as a rhombus. Digging that underground base like that is really bad as I end up hitting wrong blocks all the time due to that weird alignment of holes. I could not even place a ladder in that shaft as I wanted; had to put the ladders diagonally in a corner. Why is that?

1287284475_Anmerkung2020-07-07183416.thumb.jpg.50eead5a64dd140a1673b403c65eac57.jpg

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

(Every opinion is welcome here, Trunks_Budo. Unless you're being disrespectful, offensive, and a general @#&%@%$ in the process. We're all adults here, except for Adam (possibly others). Act like one.)

Snowflake. Getting my point across the nice way didn't work, I had no choice. It was be heard or be ignored. I chose to be heard.

32 minutes ago, Trunks_Budo said:

"Honestly, I would be satisfied if these following perks did not have attributes gating my investment into them: Run and Gun, Miner 69er, Motherlode, Living off the Land, The Huntsman, and Master Chef. Parkour is an exclusively awesome thing in agility, leave it there, leave it gated. But those other skills I listed are too universally useful to gate for single-players, and should be accessible to all players regardless of specialization. Boom, I'm satisfied if this is the case. Leave attribute gates, but make key things more accessible etc. That's just my opinion. I feel it could be a win for both single players and multiplayers, because two characters in different attributes could still mine together, hunt together, tend to gardens, cook while traveling and camping out, etc; And that form of cooperation is what makes an in-game server community or township feel more real. It is possible to have TOO MUCH privatization involved. There should be a Survival Basics attribute, with no gates, just useful perks. That's my ultimate solution, and that's the note I'm ending on I think. I hope the devs entertain the possibility, I know it sucks when somebody criticizes your baby. I speak all of this from a place of love for your baby, devs. Just so you know. I love it."

Then there were plenty of people who came forth and agreed, yeah, leveling is janky right now. <deleted>. There is no error with progression, progression is fine. But what you ACTUALLY unlock WHILE progressing is broke as hell. You basically have to take a 15 point detour to get RUN AND GUN, if you're specialized in anything but agility? For real? Yeah that's clearly fine. It's not like 15 levels is an entire week or two of grinding kills away, or anything. No matter which specialization you choose, you're just always getting screwed. That's what this current iteration offers. Nothing more.

With agility goggles it is only 5 points to hit level 2 of run and gun, which should be pretty good. Why does that feel like a hard detour for you? Or do you feel you need all 3 ranks so you can game the hordes properly? It is behind agility for a reason, his firepower isn't that great. So you want it to be super accessible so you can be OP with whatever weapon you want.

If we create a general perk tree, you'll still have to pump points into general, making everyone forced into the same situation we already have only worse, now there is another attribute you have to elevate just to get into cooking, mining, and whatever else we put in there, and then we water down the other perk trees and make purist builds that much harder.

7 minutes ago, madmole said:

It is definitely not true that no one likes stealth, but Attack sleeper volumes completely negates all of the points and equipment you have invested in it, and Agility has the undesirable distinction of being the only attribute without any non-combat survival skills.

Just now, Infected226 said:

I would assume they wouldn't need a manager for you, just like a Roland or something.

Roland is thoughtful and typically tries to reason with a person. Just the other day someone mentioned a genuine concern with the lack of transparency in progression, something about having a steel tool too early in the game, and while everybody else was chewing that person out for "flaming the forums with unwarranted hate for the game", Roland was actively saying "no I totally get your point, and it should probably be a part of the game, that transparency for progression, advising players on what is and isn't a good idea early-on". 

Just now, madmole said:

With agility goggles it is only 5 points to hit level 2 of run and gun, which should be pretty good. Why does that feel like a hard detour for you? Or do you feel you need all 3 ranks so you can game the hordes properly? It is behind agility for a reason, his firepower isn't that great. So you want it to be super accessible so you can be OP with whatever weapon you want.

If we create a general perk tree, you'll still have to pump points into general, making everyone forced into the same situation we already have only worse, now there is another attribute you have to elevate just to get into cooking, mining, and whatever else we put in there, and then we water down the other perk trees and make purist builds that much harder.

I already mentioned, no gates in the general attribute. No investment in the general attribute. The general tab would have no prerequisites; You invest in the perks listed under it, nothing more.

9 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

(Every opinion is welcome here, Trunks_Budo. Unless you're being disrespectful, offensive, and a general @#&%@%$ in the process. We're all adults here, except for Adam (possibly others). Act like one. Please.)

(Also, Run & Gun isn't "needed"; trust me, I know, because I go complete Rambo style whenever I see zombies. Not once have I been tempted by quicker reload times when sprinting, and I've been doing just fine. :) )

Don't underestimate the hip fire of it either.

HA! Nobody likes stealth? Absolutely bull butt chunks. I enjoy stealth, and once high enough, those ceiling zombies don't notice you. Easy to snipe them at that point, if you bother to look up once in a while. I have several people I've played with that find at least some stealth is a good thing. It all plays into how your gamestyle is....

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

(Every opinion is welcome here)

Speaking of opinion! does anyone find Random gen a bit "Artificial" i don't know how to describe it,

i loaded around 3 Random gen worlds and all the Biomes kinda spawn the same.

"Pine in the Middle, Snow in the East to North East, Desert in the north, Crispy forest in the West and Wasteland to the south!"

to me it feels kinda artificial. i don't know if that was intentional but it makes it so odd. it feels random with citys but with biomes it feels the same!

@madmole or any TFP Staff?    

1 minute ago, Trunks_Budo said:

I already mentioned, no gates in the general attribute. No investment in the general attribute. The general tab would have no prerequisites; You invest in the perks listed under it, nothing more.

Then everyone is gonna have the same cookie cutter build picking the best perks.. I'm assuming your not playing with friends? The guys i play with thoroughly enjoy that we all specialize into different areas. One guy is the cook/hunter, another the melee/miner/meat shield, the intellect and crafting guy, the commando with lots of weapon skills and then me where I'm like a jack of all trades for when someone isn't playing in our group.

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Hip fire huh? That's news to me. *Shrugs*

It's just way too invaluable for how it changes the player's approach to Bloodmoon hordes. Running around, wrangling zombies into a group by running in circles, throwing molotovs into the density of them, then feeling confident that you can empty your clip into the rest and sprint away while reloading... Run and Gun is invaluable because of that. And Madmole stated he'd consider trying some sort of an integration of Run and Gun into every other attribute, so I'm good. I was heard.

Just now, Trunks_Budo said:

It's just way too invaluable for how it changes the player's approach to Bloodmoon hordes. Running around, wrangling zombies, throwing molotovs into the density of them, then feeling confident that you can empty your clip into the rest and sprint away while reloading... Run and Gun is invaluable because of that. And Madmole stated he'd consider trying some sort of an integration of Run and Gun into every other attribute, so I'm good. I was heard.

Alright, I admit that in that situation Run & Gun could prove to be very useful, yes. But since I only "run & gun" in POI's, I have not felt the pressure to invest into it. To each their own.

You are wrong that no one likes stealth, but it is pretty well agreed upon that stealth, especially early to mid game, needs some fine tuning. (The triggers that zombies have to awaken are too sensitive, for example.)

Do I feel horrible? Like a complete dirt bag? Yes. I feel guilty, remorseful, I owe you an apology madmole. Also you, mechanical lens. I just felt like my primary point was overlooked. Understandably, how many replies do the devs have to respond to in a day? It's easy to get caught up in the monotony of it all and pass over the point someone is trying to make, and only devote an empty reply to it. I feel guilty for blowing up, I am sorry, I'm grateful you guys entertained me and heard me. Now I need to try to calm down. Once again, I'm sorry.

Do I feel horrible? Like a complete dirt bag? Yes. I feel guilty, remorseful, I owe you an apology madmole. Also you, STW. I just felt like my primary point was overlooked. Understandably, how many replies do the devs have to respond to in a day? It's easy to get caught up in the monotony of it all. I am guilty, I am sorry, I'm grateful you guys entertained me and heard me. Now I need to try to calm down. I'm sorry.

just pack a bowl o plant fibers and play some 7 days brother, we still love you.

17 minutes ago, Trunks_Budo said:

Snowflake. Getting my point across the nice way didn't work, I had no choice. It was be heard or be ignored. I chose to be heard.

Dude, are you not getting enough attention in your reallife? If one is the snowflake its you.

Eat a Snickers and relax :)

Do I feel horrible? Like a complete dirt bag? Yes. I feel guilty, remorseful, I owe you an apology madmole. Also you, STW. I just felt like my primary point was overlooked. Understandably, how many replies do the devs have to respond to in a day? It's easy to get caught up in the monotony of it all. I am guilty, I am sorry, I'm grateful you guys entertained me and heard me. Now I need to try to calm down. I'm sorry.

Not trying to sound rude here, but no, I do not forgive you, and after the rant you just went on, I will never see you in the same way again. Nonetheless I will not treat you any differently. An apology is not needed imo, just act better next time and going forward.

Archived