Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I don't post a very much but I would like to voice my opinion about A19.

The new progression system with the Stone - Iron - Steel ages is really awesome.  I don't get why people are complaining about getting stone tools and weapons in every crate, box and safe.  That's the point to progressively get better tools and weapons in the stage you're in.  The game used to be over for me quickly because I would get iron and steel tools/weapons in the same first town.  Now I look at a new game as this first city is my stone age city and by the time you've looted the 15 or so buildings plus all the zombies you've killed plus all the stuff you have built, you will be in iron stage of game and can move on to a new city, which will be the iron stage city and so on and so forth.

So, do I mind opening all these crates, boxes and safes to get stone stuff?  No, because there are 100's more in other cities to open that will give me iron and steel later in the game.  This was a brilliant step in the right direction.  Way to go FP.

7 hours ago, Trunks_Budo said:

You are falsely assuming that agility should be about stealth.

Nobody likes stealth, literally nobody, and you're desperate to pretend it belongs. Stealth means nothing, when you have scripted zombies falling through ceilings, immediately detecting you regardless of your "stealth".

There are always two kinds of stealth...one where no one is alerted to your presence, and one where no one is alive to raise the alarm. You don't have to be all 'sneaky sneak' to benefit from stealth perks. 3.5x damage multiplier on crouch shots at an incoming herd at range, HELL YES.

Also the comments that @MechanicalLens and @Phoenixshade35 have already made.

4 hours ago, madmole said:

Inconsistencies aren't good.

By that reasoning books are inconsistencies. I mostly agree that the current system is "good enough" for gold, but what if you design new perks? Are you gonna clutter the hell out of 10 pages per attribute or are you going to just move the MUST HAVE ones to another page in order to make the game more interesting? 

You reduced "needs" which is good. But make no mistake, if you mine you MUST perk into it because you can't even hold an iron pick for more than a few seconds. Isn't that perk a MUST have then? Wouldn't it be better to have it in that supposed "general" page along with tools, cultivation, schematics... etc? It'll still be a must have but at least you won't be trying to solve the squared triangle equation and you can call those perks for what they are : " must haves if I do X" unlike weapon perks that we can very well do without. No problem.

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don't post a very much but I would like to voice my opinion about A19.

The new progression system with the Stone - Iron - Steel ages is really awesome.  I don't get why people are complaining about getting stone tools and weapons in every crate, box and safe.  That's the point to progressively get better tools and weapons in the stage you're in.  The game used to be over for me quickly because I would get iron and steel tools/weapons in the same first town.  Now I look at a new game as this first city is my stone age city and by the time you've looted the 15 or so buildings plus all the zombies you've killed plus all the stuff you have built, you will be in iron stage of game and can move on to a new city, which will be the iron stage city and so on and so forth.

So, do I mind opening all these crates, boxes and safes to get stone stuff?  No, because there are 100's more in other cities to open that will give me iron and steel later in the game.  This was a brilliant step in the right direction.  Way to go FP.

So stop posting and get our game loaded up!

1 hour ago, Trankitas said:

Roads leading nowhere, roads with cliffs, crazy unnatural meadows, this didn't happened in A18.4 at all.

Is there any changes made to RWG? or what?

Got few of these things in my seed, I like mine better than the one in A18 for some reason so far. 

A small spike in the terrain(8x20blocks or near that), which I leveled and a bigger where the road goes up, made a ramp (a big one using wedges and so on). Looks good.

Not sure if every road should be connected with another, we have many examples, where roads end up near a mauntain villa irl, or in the dessert. Its good, man. 

I really miss the bigass cliffs, like in A12 or early tho, that was fun 😆

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I just fought the day 21 horde. Intense stuff. 😶 I really need to stop stressing myself out like this. 😛

What happened ?😄

7 hours ago, hiddenyak said:

Why does the sniper rifle now show a huge smoke animation over the crosshair when firing with scope? It's so jarring and distracting. Is there a way I can manually remove this?

Thisssss

It makes the Sniper kind of bad as a main weapon. I really want to use the Sniper but it has two gigantic flaws, one of which, is that it's freaking GIGANTIC and blocks like a solid 30% of your screen when using it even on high FoV. I saw a few streamers even specifically mention that as the reason they stopped using it. The smoke / bullet casing flying out when you shoot makes it really hard to shoot repeated shots too

Can we get the model toned down to like, 60% size or smaller, so it's more in line with everything else and doesn't leave you completely blind to attacks from the side of the screen when you are walking around with the weapon equipped?

6 hours ago, madmole said:

The idea is to make a fairly interesting build neatly governed by one attribute.

>_>

This is literally the exact opposite of what you said when I was complaining about the Int tree not having an end game melee weapon lol. You and Gazz I believe said "Just use melee from a different tree end game" basically.

I'm still testing the Sledge and Turrets, but I kinda feel like Int in general is really a bit weak end game. Dual Turrets just can't output the damage of an Auto Shottie,  but I guess you could just chalk that up to the Auto Shottie being ridiculously broken

I tried Stun Baton again but it's still terribad, and I've spent nearly the whole play through trying to test the Junk Sledge to find ways to make it good in handheld but it just isn't. It ragdolls zombies away without killing them, so you spend 30-45+ seconds chasing them around trying to tickle them to death while the junk sledge slides them around like they are on ice. Not even exaggerating, if you don't get the RNG dismember chance on a headshot,it's insane.

With a fully modded Junk Sledge with a burning shaft mod, and max Tech Junkie Perk and the damage buffs from the magazine, on the second hardest difficulty I chased a non-irradiated non-feral Biker around for about 45 seconds like a Benny Hill skit peppering him with junk sledge shots while he flew away from me

6 hours ago, madmole said:

Because 1 guy is crying we reinvent a system?

I mean, it's a pretty common sentiment that the attributes not actually improving your, y'know, base attributes, and instead being tied to gun damage is a really questionable system. Not sure about the rest of his stuff though, he kind of went off the deep end while I was asleep.

I agree that it's silly to lock how good you are at mining behind . . . how much shotgun damage you do. Especially if you don't use shotguns, it's just flat out wasted points. It would be very nice if the base attributes themselves actually gave something that's always useful on it's own

Anyway though, complaints about snipers the size of dump trunks and the Junk Sledge Complaints Round 45™ aside , having a blast in A19. The stamina and food stuff is bearable later on, it just requires a hefty change of play style, which isn't always a bad thing.

Part of my food issues are that I'm playing Coop with an ADHD Run and Gun Never Craft or Mine Ever™ player so I basically have to provide enough food for 2 people. I don't think the game should be balanced around multiplayer, but at the same time, the "Den mother" play style is a pretty popular one we miners get saddled with and it's kinda hard in A19 because of how many things are tied behind looting / quests like all the parts you can't convince a PUBG player to pick up when they are holding down W and M1 and not looting anything that isn't a gun or bullet

10 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Thisssss

It makes the Sniper kind of bad as a main weapon. I really want to use the Sniper but it has two gigantic flaws, one of which, is that it's freaking GIGANTIC and blocks like a solid 30% of your screen when using it even on high FoV. I saw a few streamers even specifically mention that as the reason they stopped using it. The smoke / bullet casing flying out when you shoot makes it really hard to shoot repeated shots too

Can we get the model toned down to like, 60% size or smaller, so it's more in line with everything else and doesn't leave you completely blind to attacks from the side of the screen when you are walking around with the weapon equipped?

>_>

This is literally the exact opposite of what you said when I was complaining about the Int tree not having an end game melee weapon lol. You and Gazz I believe said "Just use melee from a different tree end game" basically.

I'm still testing the Sledge and Turrets, but I kinda feel like Int in general is really a bit weak end game. Dual Turrets just can't output the damage of an Auto Shottie,  but I guess you could just chalk that up to the Auto Shottie being ridiculously broken

I tried Stun Baton again but it's still terribad, and I've spent nearly the whole play through trying to test the Junk Sledge to find ways to make it good in handheld but it just isn't. It ragdolls zombies away without killing them, so you spend 30-45+ seconds chasing them around trying to tickle them to death while the junk sledge slides them around like they are on ice. Not even exaggerating, if you don't get the RNG dismember chance on a headshot, I chased a Biker around for about 45 seconds like a Benny Hill skit peppering him with junk sledge shots while he flew away from me

I mean, it's a pretty common sentiment that the attributes not actually improving your, y'know, base attributes, and instead being tied to gun damage is a really questionable system. Not sure about the rest of his stuff though.

I agree that it's silly to lock how good you are at mining behind . . . how much shotgun damage you do. Especially if you don't use shotguns, it's just flat out wasted points. It would be very nice if the base attributes themselves actually gave something that's always useful on it's own

Anyway though, complaints about snipers the size of dump trunks and the Junk Sledge Complaints Round 45™, having a blast in A19. The stamina and food stuff is bearable later on, it just requires a hefty change of play style, which isn't always a bad thing.

Part of my food issues are that I'm playing Coop with an ADHD Run and Gun Never Craft or Mine Ever™ player so I basically have to provide enough food for 2 people. I don't think the game should be balanced around multiplayer, but at the same time, the "Den mother" play style is a pretty popular one we miners get saddled with and it's kinda hard in A19 because of how many things are tied behind looting / quests like all the parts you can't convince a PUBG player to pick up when they are holding down W and M1 and not looting anything that isn't a gun or bullet

Blame the community.  They wanted a beefy sniper like the .50 barrett's so TFPs gave us a gigantic sniper rifle lol.  Also not sure if intended but when fired has a puff of smoke like a howitzer lol...

2 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

Hey @madmole i have a thought for a book series in the game, what if we made a book that helped to improve the stacks of ammo we can carry with a description like.....

Surviving in the apocolypse has taught me much, including how to better pack your ammo, now you can carry 25% more of .... ammo, could also be used for other types of items as well, what do you think?

I don't know how easy it is to do such a thing.

Hello new to the form! Just wanted to ask about the looting change in Alpha 19. I am a player that plays with inventory loss on death so the old system felt good since I could loot great equipment only to lose it from a careless mistake. I am wondering about the new progression system because I worry by lategame I will only find high quality strong equipment which may make gameplay feel more samey than I am used to. How do players that play with loss of items on death feel about the new loot changes? 

Edit: I know that's a very specific playstyle so I understand if changes don't cater to it. I just like when death has high risks and worry those risks will be less felt when I am a higher level due to possibly having an easier time finding strong equipment from everything I loot.

36 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Thisssss

only if we can also tone down the steel knuckles to something a little less resembling "10 Swiss army knives filling my screen" making it impossible to see, let alone hit my enemy.

Also I want to add that I enjoy that the game funnels you into certain weapon types based on other things you want to do. 

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nope, that wouldn't solve anything, since you would be forced to use a bow to gain the additional benefit. I suggest conjuring up small, passive bonuses that are by no means situational or overpowered. Some of your suggestions were the latter unfortunately. 😛

Examples:

Perception: +1% looting speed per rank

Strength: -2% stamina loss while power attacking with tools per rank (or +1% damage to stunned or knocked down enemies per rank)

Fortitude: +1% stamina regeneration while sprinting per rank

Agility: +1% movement speed per rank

Intellect: +1% crafting speed per rank

Movement speed for any attribute I feel would make it feel quite mandatory. I think the system they are using now is better than this as weapon boosts per perk point. Your ideal weapon type being determined by other things you want to do on the character is fun to me. 

15 minutes ago, Tmodloader said:

Also I want to add that I enjoy that the game funnels you into certain weapon types based on other things you want to do. 

Movement speed for any attribute I feel would make it feel quite mandatory. I think the system they are using now is better than this as weapon boosts per perk point. Your ideal weapon type being determined by other things you want to do on the character is fun to me. 

1. I was spitballing. +1% movement speed per rank is a bit OP when I look at it, yeah.

2. These wouldn't replace the current system.

3. As for why I'm suggesting this, you can find the answer a few pages back.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

I don't know how easy it is to do such a thing.

Could be crafted into Ammo Pouches that are a unique item. So 500 9mm bullets + 1 cloth = 500 9mm Bullets (Pouch) that stacks to 500 on its own.

This could cause a problem with clutter in the ammo swap wheel if it has to be considered a unique ammo, unless guns can simply be set to consider both (regular and pouch) to be the same ammo and use both without switching. Maybe both ammo types could be childs under a single parent xml tag? Just going off my light Rimworld modding knowledge, now sure how similar it's built to 7days.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Madmole gets me.

Milk Drinker. My hands are like 36 grit sandpaper with metal shards glued on. Between lifting weights and playing guitar and doing labor it is a wall of calluses on top of scars.

2 hours ago, Trankitas said:

Yeah I love A19's POI placement, I'm just talking about roads and huge cliffs in the middle of them, I'll post a couple screenshots when I get home from work to show what I mean.

We are aware. Those have existed in 18 too.

4 hours ago, madmole said:
4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

@madmole

Since you're already talking about LCB, I've got a question... is it normal that in A19 single player I can't place a LCB anymore?

I get this "no you can't" sound whenever I try to place one (anywhere) so I just thought you disabled LCBs in SP altogether. Is that so? 🤨

No they work just fine. Just not right next door to traders lol.

Ouch, so that's why! My base is next to a trader so the LCB area must be overlapping somewhat. 🙄

1 hour ago, Tmodloader said:

Hello new to the form! Just wanted to ask about the looting change in Alpha 19. I am a player that plays with inventory loss on death so the old system felt good since I could loot great equipment only to lose it from a careless mistake. I am wondering about the new progression system because I worry by lategame I will only find high quality strong equipment which may make gameplay feel more samey than I am used to. How do players that play with loss of items on death feel about the new loot changes? 

Edit: I know that's a very specific playstyle so I understand if changes don't cater to it. I just like when death has high risks and worry those risks will be less felt when I am a higher level due to possibly having an easier time finding strong equipment from everything I loot.

I don't think it will be super easy to replace a specific setup of gear. I had a backpack glitch in a wall and I refused to cheat in my stuff, so I role played someone happened on my unconscious player and took all my stuff. It took a while to rebuild my lost loot.

There is never a point in the game stage where you are exclusively getting purple loot, just a point where that chance maximizes.

Don't know if this is meant to happen or not but the bridge outside the diy store with garden centre just before Diersvil on Navezgane breaks sometimes. Happened to me twice now riding over it on the bike.

Also, can we get a toggle for sprint at some point?

17 minutes ago, Exxodous said:

So what causes this to keep happening in A19?  See all the blocks in the windows and doors.  I cant see through them as they do not exist but I can walk through them.  Have only been in game for about 10 min

251570_screenshots_20200707210547_1.jpg

Please submit bug report on that on the bug report page.  It seems more and more people keep seeing this (distant POI mesh issue).  Link Here:

https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/

Archived