3 things I hate in the A18 patch notes

Ghostlight

Yeah sorry to be negative, I actually like most things in the notes, except for these 3 chunks of pure keech....

We had a lot of feedback from Alpha 17 on how XP was was mostly earned by Zombie Kills, making play styles other than ‘Killers’ invalid as you could only level up by killing zombies.

Shame that the feedback you got was a load of bollox then, since the absolute fastest way to level (outside the very early game) was to mine trees and rocks. I play with a regular group. I am the miner. I always ended up 20+ levels ahead of everyone else in A17.

We also lowered biome spawning some so players could have a little more breathing room when just exploring the world.

You have got to be joking. How the hell could it get any lower, other than no zombies at all? I saw a lot of people complaining that the world was devoid of wandering zombies, taking all the suspense away. Not so much a Zombie Apocalypse as a Zombie Mild Inconvenience. Seriously, I used to go out mining for entire days and I'd see about 3 to 4 zombies total. And you are lowering this?? I don't remember a single complaint about too many zombies wandering the world. Inside the buildings sure, people complained, but as far as I recall everyone called for MORE zombies out in the world. MUCH MORE. This is unbelievable.

We heard many comments about zombie amounts in POIs and biomes in Alpha 17, and we also heard about the lack of smaller POIs that were simple to explore with few or no zombies

You listened to a bunch of whiners who sucked at the game and yet were too proud to play on the easiest difficulty. Well done. Now the game is balanced round these types of player.

You are making assumptions based upon your interpretation. The zombies, in world, function different. It doesn't mean there will be less zombie encounters. They are just handled differently. Some things, like your traps will now give you XP. Please don't over-react based upon some assumptions you've made. It's like you're whining about how horrible the apples taste and you haven't even been to the store to pick them up yet!

You have got to be joking. How the hell could it get any lower, other than no zombies at all? I saw a lot of people complaining that the world was devoid of wandering zombies, taking all the suspense away. Not so much a Zombie Apocalypse as a Zombie Mild Inconvenience. Seriously, I used to go out mining for entire days and I'd see about 3 to 4 zombies total. And you are lowering this?? I don't remember a single complaint about too many zombies wandering the world. Inside the buildings sure, people complained, but as far as I recall everyone called for MORE zombies out in the world. MUCH MORE. This is unbelievable.

Will have to wait and see, but from just reading those notes - I have to agree. That was the first thing that really popped out at me. It seems they continually lower zombie counts every release. Even though the majority opinion I've always heard was "there's not enough" - Back in A10 it was thrilling trying to even get in a building in the wasteland..There were zombies all throughout the outside of the areas. You'd come over a hill going towards a city pop over the top of it and spot tons of dangerous cops, dogs and little hordes of zombies all around the buildings. You had to either rambo yourself in or go stealth. But even getting into a POI was a much more thrilling and challenging experience.

Instead, we got to a point to where now all the zombie kills are part of a silly mini-game where all the zombies are in little cupboards and ceiling rafters. It's an empty, non-challenging world until you 'activate' a POI and start the goofy, tedious, repetitive carnival shooter inside.

I assume based on MM's videos and the notes - that i'll unfortunately be skipping A18 just like I did with 17. I say it all the time, but this game needs bandits so badly - or some kind of constant danger or threat. A zombie game should have a lot of zombies..That shouldn't even have to be argued.

Experimental drops Monday...could you not wait 3 days to see if your concerns are actually valid in any way before the doom mongering posts?

As Ti2 mentioned, the system for handling zombies has changed. So while the actual number of spawns 'in the wild' has been reduced (yay performance) you may well have more actual encounters with the ones that do. It's a new system. Forget what you know from A17 or before.

Yeah sorry to be negative, I actually like most things in the notes, except for these 3 chunks of pure keech....

Shame that the feedback you got was a load of bollox then, since the absolute fastest way to level (outside the very early game) was to mine trees and rocks. I play with a regular group. I am the miner. I always ended up 20+ levels ahead of everyone else in A17.

But it was correct for the early A17 versions. There was hardly any passive XP. You really only got a lot of XP by killing zombies. It was further balanced in the course of the A17 development.

They certainly didn't just turn up the XP for everything else but looked at every activity and rebalanced them.

Madmole has written about a new system to be used. I don't know if it's already in A18, but there should be less zombies around in the world, but it should feel like that are more. He calls it encounters.

You listened to a bunch of whiners who sucked at the game and yet were too proud to play on the easiest difficulty. Well done. Now the game is balanced round these types of player.

Even with 20-30% less zombies per POI, there will still be enough zombies and you can still have fun with the rage mode.

By the way, I assume that the Fun Pimps got feedback from their test players before making such cuts.

You are making assumptions based upon your interpretation.

Actually, we don't know it at this point...

We're talking the 6th. Half the internet will have it by then anyway because streamers leak codes.

Ghostlight's comments could be based on real observations.^^ When exactly did the streams get the beta key?

Tbh, I know I will get hate, but how about two toggles in the future? One to toggle the amount of zombies inside PoI's, and another for the amount of roaming zombies/wilderness zombies. Thats one of the things I like on the console over the PC. We get the option to spawn 200% more zombies (or is the max 150? I have not been able to get on my ps4 in quite a while)

Tbh, I know I will get hate, but how about two toggles in the future? One to toggle the amount of zombies inside PoI's, and another for the amount of roaming zombies/wilderness zombies. Thats one of the things I like on the console over the PC. We get the option to spawn 200% more zombies (or is the max 150? I have not been able to get on my ps4 in quite a while)

No hate, but there is literally no reason to add an option to do something you can already do with some xml edits. Having 3000 options in a game is not useful.

I love how people are getting on a whole new level of abstract with each new alpha...

Have not played the update, but already doesn't like it to the extent of changing the game.

Soon people will change the game even before the next update will be announced...

Oh wait...

You are making assumptions based upon your interpretation. The zombies, in world, function different. It doesn't mean there will be less zombie encounters. They are just handled differently. Some things, like your traps will now give you XP. Please don't over-react based upon some assumptions you've made. It's like you're whining about how horrible the apples taste and you haven't even been to the store to pick them up yet!

No the world is pretty devoid of zombies, I been watching streamers play and they come across 1-3 a day outside if that. The a17 spawn rate was fine, fk the noobs, make them learn how to play instead of babying them. This is my biggest gripe with gaming these days, the games keep getting dumbed down due to the piss poor ability of "gamers" these days.

I don't really notice any less "out in the wilderness" zombies than there were before. Wilderness numbers can easily be increased in the xmls.

It should be an option on the new/continue game screen imo like it used to be, there used to be a zombie spawn rate option before. that needs to come back, just because its modable in the xml is not an excuse for the devs to get lazy and not add it to the options menu. Especially with how many complains there has been about the lack fo zombies. Like its even more boring than usual to watch streamers because there just is never anything to kill.

- - - Updated - - -

This above is why gaming is getting ruined, the devs listen to the lowest skill level players all the time and screw it up for everyone else since these players are unable to get any better at the game, so the rest of the players have to suffer because they suck.

It should be an option on the new/continue game screen imo like it used to be, there used to be a zombie spawn rate option before. that needs to come back, just because its modable in the xml is not an excuse for the devs to get lazy and not add it to the options menu. Especially with how many complains there has been about the lack fo zombies. Like its even more boring than usual to watch streamers because there just is never anything to kill.

- - - Updated - - -

This above is why gaming is getting ruined, the devs listen to the lowest skill level players all the time and screw it up for everyone else since these players are unable to get any better at the game, so the rest of the players have to suffer because they suck.

Not everything needs to have an easy slider, just learn how to change .xml's and you can change it to be harder.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah spawns are a contentious point and a lot of people(including me) want a little more danger and action outside, but at what point do they draw the line on options? What if the options open cans of bugs on planned progression? What's the metric for un/popularity to even decide what should be an option? Don't forget we're playing a work in progress, at least they have acknowledged this complaint and exposed a lot to modders in the meantime. I'm saving all my ire for gold edition.

I dunno. I’ve been watching g a few streams and you can see the new “encounter” mechanism in play. It is a bit weird to see someone making a noise and then see a bunch of zombies appear. But I assume they will smooth all of that out later to bring some additional realism in. So far I have seen more zombies outside than in. However, that does lead to a slightly awkward situation where it seems a lot of zombros are spawning outside and trying to get in while someone is clearing a POI. So they then have to jump outside and clear those zombies before going back in and continuing the POI.

Again, I’m sure this will be optimized throughout the a18.

Regarding what people asked to do at home, in which there are 0-2 zombies. I do not know about whining.

The complaint was not that it was heavy.

The complaint was that it was not interesting that you come to every house, and I’m sure that there will be 10 zombies in it that need to be killed.

There is no surprise, or tension. And you wonder why, in every two-bedroom house, 10 zombies live. THAT'S WHAT CLAIMS WERE FOR, BUT NOT BECAUSE THE WHUMPERS.

And about the reduction of zombies on the street, I agree. This is very bad, because at 15alpha I remember how, crouching, crawling through the desert, because there were 5 zombies, and as many dogs, and snakes in addition. And now, really, you can only notice 1-2 zombies that walk on the spot

Like stated many times it's not because we want it easier, it's because this is not just a frakin combat game and in a17 you spend 80% of the time fighting. I'll play Dying Light if I want a good zombie fighting game, or many others if I want a good shooter. This is a crafting survival game and I do want to fight zombies, but not all the frakin time.

It got tedious with so many zombies in each PoI, not hard.

Archived