EASY 500% XP AND LOOT! Ugh...

Zonker

Why are people making easy servers in a game that is based on survival? The last three servers I joined I quit after finding out they had 'perks' like porting and gimmes. Not only do I not want free hand outs, I want it to be tough for everyone... 'cause isn't that the damn point? I can't find a single vanilla server that's just the game I love.

This is the case in most multiplayer games like this one. In "No More Room In Hell", the greatest portion of servers have all infinite ammunition, in a game where the lack of ammunition is a crutial mechanic. Also gimmes, invulnerability and infinite respawns. I don't understand it either, but that's how it is.

I suggest to either ask or look for the best and most popular fair servers of the community and play there, or play in a private server with your friends. Unfortunately, there's not much else you can do about the other players.

IMHO, today's gamer just doesn't like a challenge. They have such trouble with the possibility of failure that it isn't funny.

Look at Morrowind. Just it was a clunky mess, and was a little overbearing on skill cultivation. It was a real challenge though, and you had the possibility to fail the main quest-line.

Then came Oblivion. Much better skill balance, and you can still fail the main quest. It's not as easy to fail as it was in Morrowind, and at least you can see it coming.

Then there was Skyrim. Entire system dumbed down to almost nothing for the average player. It is literally impossible to lose the game without directly avoiding the main quest.

This is why every time the game takes a step towards being an actual survival game, the forum blows up with complaints.

I can't find a single vanilla server that's just the game I love.

The game can also be played without a server.

Accordingly, you can set up the game as you would like it to be. You can also install mods that make the game even more to the way you want it to be. You will be given all the freedom to enjoy the game the way you want it to be.

And if you think that your way of playing the game is interesting for others you can rent a server and offer it to the public at any time. However I have to point out that running a server means work and that it also costs money.

Well, the faster you gain xp and loot the faster you get to the most exiting part of the game - the base decoration stage. Once you have an impenetrable super-secure base, you can widely ignore the half-rotten smelly neighbors and pay attention to the really compelling questions:

Should I paint my base light pink or dark pink?

How can these potted plants be placed symmetrically?

What rotation should be used for the sofa?

Should an extractor hood be installed in the kitchen?

Which carpet texture should be used?

And so on...

You can see this tendency as well in prefabs designed by the community. Some are well balanced and challenging but most are just loot extravaganzas.

This is one of the reasons i do not play with mods that adds or replaces prefabs.

To be fair however, i think A17 vanilla are also slightly above where i like it when it comes down

to loot in prefabs. A couple of alphas ago, finding a working stiff or weapon crate was pretty much

limited to one or two prefabs. Now they are found in almost every attic or basement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the topic though, i still like to think that it is up to the server owner, or the one(s) who run the

server to decide THEIR server settings. If 500% increased loot is what they wish, so be it. For all that

i do not know, it might be to make potential griefing a slightly less bitter pill to swallow.

This is one of the reasons i do not play with mods that adds or replaces prefabs.

And it's not just loot, but what the POI is made up of. I remember a long while back, A14 I think, playing with a custom mod pack, and there was a race track poi. It was lined with tires, and by the time I'd done scrapping those, I had more (whatever it was, leather I think) than I would have ever used in another 100 days of playing.

Well, the faster you gain xp and loot the faster you get to the most exiting part of the game - the base decoration stage. Once you have an impenetrable super-secure base, you can widely ignore the half-rotten smelly neighbors and pay attention to the really compelling questions:

Should I paint my base light pink or dark pink?

How can these potted plants be placed symmetrically?

What rotation should be used for the sofa?

Should an extractor hood be installed in the kitchen?

Which carpet texture should be used?

And so on...

Soooo true lol

I guess the big question is,,,,

Does changing the loot % and xp % push a server into the modded category or not? If not then that vanilla list is worthless on the surface.

The answer is, it seems to.

By using the filter I was easily able to find servers that had default xp and loot multipliers.

Turning "Vanilla Settings" and "Vanilla Files" on in the filter reveals a list of servers that have the loot% and xp% at defaults.

I find it weird that the "Vanilla Files" setting seems to eliminate the servers that have the loot% and xp% changed from default.

Seems like the "Vanilla Settings" option should do that instead.

Nonetheless that's all besides the point. My reply was to just help out the OP with his inability to find a server to his liking.

Zonker said he couldn't find Vanilla servers with default settings. I showed him how to do that.

The answer is, it seems to.

By using the filter I was easily able to find servers that had default xp and loot multipliers.

Turning "Vanilla Settings" and "Vanilla Files" on in the filter reveals a list of servers that have the loot% and xp% at defaults.

I find it weird that the "Vanilla Files" setting seems to eliminate the servers that have the loot% and xp% changed from default.

Seems like the "Vanilla Settings" option should do that instead.

Nonetheless that's all besides the point. My reply was to just help out the OP with his inability to find a server to his liking.

Zonker said he couldn't find Vanilla servers with default settings. I showed him how to do that.

Those servers likely have modded the xml files to achieve the results, and not the config. Or they have made other changes to the xml.

Hm... I would suggest the server I play on AllNightGamers - Jericho, pretty much all vanilla settings everything @ default except for the difficulty which is @ 5/6. BUT, it does have commands like /gimmie, /sethome, /home all those extra stuff that the OP doesn't want.

Pretty much, if the OP wants a pure vanilla experience with none of those, there are some servers out there but he or she will have to look hard.

Those servers likely have modded the xml files to achieve the results, and not the config. Or they have made other changes to the xml.

All of them? I rifled through them and they all said xp and loot were set at 100% by selecting Vanilla Files and Vanilla Settings in the filter.

A few years ago this is exactly what I ran into when I ventured out into 'the wild' but then there were a lot of vanilla servers too. I play with a group and we've been playing as a group for +10 years now. Yes we love Valmod but haven't played it properly for a long time. Yes, I do mod the xml's for stack size mostly for convenience. Yes - I kinda patched in Compo-Pack before the unofficial version came out. This was because there wasn't much 'deviation' in the building layout and it looked bad... You walked into one town and it looked virtually exactly like the other town you just left. Virtually the same building layout over, and over, and over... I remember when I was able to convince them to try Starvation! That was a fiasco - the girls didn't care for how hard it was, the guys liked the challenge but it wasn't fun to not have the entire team together. Then we tried War of the Walkers - and that had too many items/things and it seemed way to easy... But we're lucky in that we have our own private server that I manage.

I've seen where server admins have their servers set to 'Enter to win!' With the large amount of mods out there I have a feeling that this is an 'anything and everything to get people to join' ploy where they boost the EXP, loot and everything else just to justify to even have a server. For me and/or us that's not why we play. When we first started vanilla was way too easy and we stepped up towards insane and even got into insane, but that was a bit too much especially for the girls. So we've been playing one step blow insane with 24 zeds. I - myself thrive in Starvation, they mostly come out at night, ect. I also think that they have their systems setup for 'Enter to win' partially due to the fact that leveling up is one of the 'bright moments' in the game, looting is good/fun too! I also have a feeling that they do draw in a lot of players, but the fun of leveling and looting will wear off - which is possibly why some of these servers population fluctuates... I also see a lot of people 'making' servers for what ever reason, and they virtually immediately advertise the enter to win scenario... I actually wonder at times if they even care to take a look at how many servers are like that out there... I often wonder if their server will even survive after 6 months or so... I have a feeling that it's partially due to the fact that they can call themselves server admins lol I know for a fact that many of these 'server admins' don't understand what it really takes to be the admin lol which is kinda sad... I've dealt with at least a few that didn't even know how to install a mod on their server, which is really sad. They're resistant to even come here to TFP forums because of their preconceptions and in one instance their experience... It possibly also goes to the sad reality of 'people' these days...

For the OP - if you got another computer at home you could try setting up your own server... If you don't you could possibly run the server on your own system but I definitely don't care nor recommend that... There are some vanilla servers out there, ya just gotta keep on trying.

Why are people making easy servers in a game that is based on survival? The last three servers I joined I quit after finding out they had 'perks' like porting and gimmes. Not only do I not want free hand outs, I want it to be tough for everyone... 'cause isn't that the damn point? I can't find a single vanilla server that's just the game I love.

Because The game is just too grindy right now, the survival aspect feels very drawn out to the point its just too tedious for most players, myself included and I am used to grinding.

Considering The current iteration of the game this has been the only way TFP have been able to make the game "Last" for players, instead of pushing for a more rare material that is required to build more elaborate systems, they have resorted to gimping down the players starting character to the point they are almost like a 9 year old child.

It makes no wonder that players grow bored of doing that grind every time they must play on a new server, or replay the game simply to circumvent that grindyness.

Where is the survival drawn out? You can´t die of hunger or thirst there is food and water everywhere, the game even makes sure you meet animals whenever you go to a new terrain and at start you always have one in reach. Temperature is easily regulated and you can´t even get stuck in a big desert or snow enviroment when starting thanks to akward RNG maps we have right now. And if you start in the forest temperature isn´t a thing at all.

For the OP i would suggest renting a server. It´s not very expensive if you just want to play with friends. I think we payed like 10€ per month for 4 slots. If you share that it´s easily available for even more players. And you can cancel them whenever you want. Better than just hoping your favourite server doesn´t go offline. Wich happens too often. At least for me.

That's why there is single player, I personally will not play on a PVP server that has no XP boost (could care less about anything else though) as I and many others don't want to grind for RL weeks in order to get anywhere. By the time we hit lvl 200 on 1x XP the server is pretty much dead and people are begging for wipes.

Archived