Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@Madmole

Not to sound greedy, but can you do maybe a quick series on the Level perk system? I would like to take a look and start making build plans with friends, and maybe see how I might want to mix and match. Hell I'd take just a forum post list so I can study it. Please?

And thanks for all the work you and TFP put into it. Have nearly 2500 hours in the game, and my only game that even comes close is TF2 at 1800. Thoroughly love this game.

I'm not sure why people keep missing this:

Yeh I'm on a desert snow border, and have to constantly jump between the two. It's ridonkulous.

- - - Updated - - -

We have that brief iteration where snow was north and desert was south... It was good.

I never had much issue, on my fort build because of how biomes are laid out now you can avoid it usually. By the time I did go, I was later game and had high quality coats with insulated liners and such, and an endless amount of food so even if I did get hit a bit It wasn't a problem.

I'm not exactly sure if Madmole is playing RWG but it looks like it. This doesn't show much but maybe rwg has changed?

utyut.png

Biomes are large areas. It flips the map around randomly so cold might be south or north you never know. We want to improve it so its less predictable (once you figure it out you kind of know for sure what to expect) but its shippable for 18.

Biomes are large areas. It flips the map around randomly so cold might be south or north you never know. We want to improve it so its less predictable (once you figure it out you kind of know for sure what to expect) but its shippable for 18.

I'm glad to hear that. I was never a fan of the patch work biom layout. :)

I never had much issue, on my fort build because of how biomes are laid out now you can avoid it usually. By the time I did go, I was later game and had high quality coats with insulated liners and such, and an endless amount of food so even if I did get hit a bit It wasn't a problem.

I *think* just yesterday I finally got a sort of handle on the food/water/health/stamina relationship, like how bandages affect max health but food affects health... They seem backwards. Food should affect max health and bandages health, no?

...still don't understand waters role though. Stamina seems directly affected by food too, which also makes sense.

I *think* just yesterday I finally got a sort of handle on the food/water/health/stamina relationship, like how bandages affect max health but food affects health... They seem backwards. Food should affect max health and bandages health, no?

...still don't understand waters role though. Stamina seems directly affected by food too, which also makes sense.

We're going to redesign it in 19. Imagine a standard (well new standard 18) debuff pop up called "Critical Injury" that subtracts 40 max health. You will need a medical item to cure it over time a certain amount. You'll see it subtract when you apply the medical bandage. Much more standard and easy to understand because it will be just like infection or most other diseases (how they are handled in 18).

Right now its just spam crafting common bandages to restore it, and its a constant thing. Its just dumb micro maintenance.

We're going to redesign it in 19. Imagine a standard (well new standard 18) debuff pop up called "Critical Injury" that subtracts 40 max health. You will need a medical item to cure it over time a certain amount. You'll see it subtract when you apply the medical bandage. Much more standard and easy to understand because it will be just like infection or most other diseases (how they are handled in 18).

Right now its just spam crafting common bandages to restore it, and its a constant thing. Its just dumb micro maintenance.

Will food play any role in health (except it'll be bad if you're starving)?

Glad you're still looking at it. Some days I imagine my character as a mummy with the number of bandages I've applied (or with one really oversized arm)

Yeh, honestly if it wasn't for MM's vids I'da never known about the bandage spam method, and continued to wonder why my health never got higher. :) Glad it's being revisited.

Thank You.

Im waiting for next Alpha with huuuuge exctiement. I`ve already managed to convince few mates to put their hard earned money on this game and studio, but mainly to support people and families behind the project. You guys keep going no matter what while some of major league AAA titles and studios are scre*ing around while having tremendous budget and exceptional experience (pardons for my language). New textures, improved biom generation, improved animations and rendering, new content really adds to this game a lot. Stay brave and experiment as much as You can, who knows what can be seen next.

Thank You again.

Yeah uncomment the hoe, problem solved if you think hoeing the ground is better than digging a hole and putting the box in.

Catching up on posts. But will the dug-in boxes align with the terrain? Or will there be gaps?

And I will definitely miss a planted Hill full of flowers. Our server absolutely would mod the hoe back in, just to be able to plant on slopes, without making them look like a stacked terrace ;)

Catching up on posts. But will the dug-in boxes align with the terrain? Or will there be gaps?

And I will definitely miss a planted Hill full of flowers. Our server absolutely would mod the hoe back in, just to be able to plant on slopes, without making them look like a stacked terrace ;)

It will be gaps and terraces as far as the eye can see. everywhere.

Temperature change is already a gradual process for your character, it just ticks up/down too quickly right now, I'd say.

For cold, it could be a simple formula: (Total insulation value of cloths = seconds before dropping one degree of body temp)

You could do something similar with heat, but it would not be as accurate.

Also:

If too cold: every point of Food used, body temp +1; Max +1 every 30 seconds

If too hot: every point of Water used, body temp -1; Max -1 every 30 seconds

Not perfect, but something like that.

Edit: Also the outside temp could be completely ignored if its within 1/3rd of the insulation values:

So 60 total insulation would have + or - 20 degrees of normal body temp.

A farm should NOT be a day 1 thing. Really, just get rid of food already. It's never going to be a complex enough system to make it fun enoght to be worth your dev time.

Farming is one of the easiest things one can do. Put seed in fertilish ground. Wait. The amount of rain in the game is more than sufficient. Why shouldn't that be a day one thing?

It's way easier than hunting for sure.

So should we restrict game hunting to perhaps day 30? After enough target practice?

Farming should be easier and just work in any ground apart from dirt if you ask me. The plots are nice for decoration :)

Yeh, honestly if it wasn't for MM's vids I'da never known about the bandage spam method, and continued to wonder why my health never got higher. :) Glad it's being revisited.

Food increases health and max stamina

Water increases stamina regen

Bandages increase max health.

4duC0J0t.jpg

This can pop up if

- your max health is lowered

- your regular health is completely filled up (up to the blacked-out part)

- you are eating food (or whatever) that adds "food healing" but no "max health healing"

This is the exact case of not understanding the health system and trying to heal with food when that is not possible.

This buff/message can only trigger every 5 minutes and it will trigger a maximum of 5 times for a player.

Yes, we have a journal page for that but most don't read that so I'd shove the one critical piece of it into their faces. =P

My playthrough is simple. Loot small garage and wasteland pois getting the same loot I would from a bigger, more dangerous ones, til day 5, then find some sturdy poi and chop out access to the top with my stone axe, then survive day 7.

...repeat method until I have enough stuff to start my own base.

Oh, and I die a few times in between due to fully owned stupidity.

Keeps the GS low, too, making my day to day lighter. :)

In a18 you can be lvl 5 or 6 forever. Several times I have asked for a way to cut down XP gain for myself (the opposite of nerd goggles) and now I got one without even trying.

I don't always like to play the rat race. I'm fine with not having many perks and going looting/exploring instead.

I see almost everyone chase after XP and I cannot understand why. They are shooting themselves in the foot trying to "win" the game.

LOL - this reminds me of the ladder bug in A14 or A15 where you had a chance of shooting into space when you got to the top of a ladder! Learned real quick to put a roof over the ladders. :smile-new:

Yeah, I was approaching a giant one time in Skyrim when he swung his arm at me and sent me flying into the stratosphere. Those giants have really good arms. ;)

In a18 you can be lvl 5 or 6 forever. Several times I have asked for a way to cut down XP gain for myself (the opposite of nerd goggles) and now I got one without even trying.

I don't always like to play the rat race. I'm fine with not having many perks and going looting/exploring instead.

I see almost everyone chase after XP and I cannot understand why. They are shooting themselves in the foot trying to "win" the game.

You're trying to swim against decades of gaming tropes, wherein a "level 5" character was always stronger, better, faster than a "level 4" character, and a "level 10" character could one-shot both of 'em dead.

In some respects perhaps, the XP in 7Days is almost even a little mis-named, if it's not something that is totally beneficial to the player, as it is in just about every other game ever made. In 7Days, it's a more nuanced , double-edged sword, but new players especially aren't going to have even the slightest idea of that.

Archived