Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@NukemDed

If you aim to evade zombies rather than killing as many as you can, you don't level up as quickly.

I'm just a minmaxer and if the game provides a mechanic to "freeze" XP gain then to me that's an obvious thing to do.

I think the problems is that in previous versions, all the good gears, progressions are lock behind levels and perks. You want better gears? level up intelligent. You want iron and steel? better perk into forge skills. You want to make anything that isn't basic? learn crafting bench. Can't fault the player that want to advance their progress because everything is lock behind perks.

edit: correct me if I'm wrong, in A18, we can pick up crafting bench? or you still have to find schematic or learn perk?

This is the kind of video I wanted to see - mining is what I love.

Question - While in the nitrate/lead mine you mentioned "I guess I could use nitrate for farming" what do you mean? Nitrate had nothing to do with farming in A17.x

PS: I love the new nodes and how minerals look - kudos to the Art/Graphics team on making things look so much better!

God...I remember a younger me, discovering for the first time that you could actually fly planes. I've been flying jets, helicopters, and (recently) planes in BF1 ever since.

I started my journey with the release of BF2 in 2005. I immediately got hooked. In BF 1, I really enjoy bayonet feature.

I wish only we had at least 3 seated vehicles in 7dtd. 4 seated would be splendid. I don't mind flying machines in 7dtd somehow.

Stalker series especially Call of Chernobyl mod is something worth looking into in search for ideas. There seem to be biom like zones as well. Swamps, Forests, Industrial zones, vast underground secret facilities etc. Many anomalies, mutants, zombified enemies and many rivaling factions. Perhaps the game is clunky a bit by today's standards but replayability is high especially after few mods installed.

So... taking care or a rock is harder than taking care of 2 baby cats that are really weird and like to break stuff? Sound right to me, I will take care of Gerda, I swear.

Thanks for calling me young, very much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Very immature of you.....Boobs.

Hihihihihi you said a naughty word! I'm going to tell Roland!

Yeah taking care of a rock can be hard.. Not as hard as diamond, but still..

In a18 you can be lvl 5 or 6 forever. Several times I have asked for a way to cut down XP gain for myself (the opposite of nerd goggles) and now I got one without even trying.

I don't always like to play the rat race. I'm fine with not having many perks and going looting/exploring instead.

I see almost everyone chase after XP and I cannot understand why. They are shooting themselves in the foot trying to "win" the game.

That's what I've been saying! If you don't start no ♥♥♥♥ there won't be no ♥♥♥♥.

...ignore the big pois. Pointless.

...stay low gs. Pointless.

You'll eventually have enough dukes to buy whatever you need, bm's will still be fun because linear challenge is linear, and you can own the world!

In a18 you can be lvl 5 or 6 forever. Several times I have asked for a way to cut down XP gain for myself (the opposite of nerd goggles) and now I got one without even trying.

So you consider intentional dying as a valid strategy?

Gamestage may be a nice trick for you as developer to adapt the difficulty to the abilities of the PC, but it breaks down because half of the progress in this game is through items and building and gamestage doesn't measure this. Using this knowledge is as exploity as fighting the endboss in obvlivion as a lvl 1 character.

You're trying to swim against decades of gaming tropes, wherein a "level 5" character was always stronger, better, faster than a "level 4" character, and a "level 10" character could one-shot both of 'em dead.

In some respects perhaps, the XP in 7Days is almost even a little mis-named, if it's not something that is totally beneficial to the player, as it is in just about every other game ever made. In 7Days, it's a more nuanced , double-edged sword, but new players especially aren't going to have even the slightest idea of that.

A lvl5 character shoulld be stronger, it isn't a trope. All pen&paper RPGs increase the level of the enemies when the players advance. But the players should not use this meta knowledge: "Hey, we could level up now, but since we will fight the dragon and I'm sure our gamemaster will make the dragon stronger, we won't do that now.". Don't do that.

A good gamemaster will mix up enemy difficulty just so this link isn't too obvious, any computer RPG should do the same or as an alternative leave the enemies fixed so the player can grow up to the challenges.

Oblivion is the prime bad example. It is a convenient trick for the developer, but for the player it looses it's magic as soon as he knows the trick.

Because character development aka investing skill points gives direction. It's the very foundation of any RPG, plus: Any skill point based system is basically a level-gate that locks away features from the player.

I cannot understand why not to chase XP. Playing for x hours on a low game stage isn't fun as it isn't to kill zombie no. 1595 with wooden arrows or a wooden club.

Because it's the same game throughout but with different weapons.

Level 1, kill easy zombies with a bow. Takes 5 shots. Loot is crap.

Level 50, kill medium zombies with a modded crossbow. Takes 5 shots. Loot is medium.

Level 100, kill harder zombies with a rifle. Takes 5 shots. Loot is better.

...there is no valid *reason* to "succeed" in this game.

@MM/TFP - what is the logic behind Master chef inside the General Strength Perks? it use to be in INT and that kinda made sense.

It depends on the way you look at it. With LBD gone, it initially made more sense to have Master Chef under Intellect; since our characters forgot how to make bacon and eggs, they could use all the IQ points they could get. :playful: Or you could put Master Chef under Fortitude, since eating healthy meals and having a balanced diet increases your body's well-being. However, eating is how you keep your strength up; mental strength would lead it back to Intellect, and physical Strength lands it under Fortitude. (Heck, you could even make the argument to have the perk under Perception, since you would need a keen eye to extract all of the... impurities... that could potentially poison you. I don't even know if that's a feasibly efficient task.)

But at the end of the day... Because balance. ;)

This is the kind of video I wanted to see - mining is what I love.

Question - While in the nitrate/lead mine you mentioned "I guess I could use nitrate for farming" what do you mean? Nitrate had nothing to do with farming in A17.x

PS: I love the new nodes and how minerals look - kudos to the Art/Graphics team on making things look so much better!

The hoe is gone and in its place you craft planter blocks in A18 that you place to plant in.

Those boxes require nitrate to craft.

Weird, for a know it all, I figured you would understand it lol.

Oh, I've said I suck at this game from the very beginning, and have never pretended to know it all; I leave that to the professional quake players. =)

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure. I do want to make some of the more advanced dishes provide some kind of buff or preventative medicine property.

Maybe if you had a constitution variable, and "good" food fed into that? That way eating healthy could help stave off all sorts of illnesses?

Thank You.

Im waiting for next Alpha with huuuuge exctiement. I`ve already managed to convince few mates to put their hard earned money on this game and studio, but mainly to support people and families behind the project. You guys keep going no matter what while some of major league AAA titles and studios are scre*ing around while having tremendous budget and exceptional experience (pardons for my language). New textures, improved biom generation, improved animations and rendering, new content really adds to this game a lot. Stay brave and experiment as much as You can, who knows what can be seen next.

Thank You again.

Most AAA studios are horrible and don't even have designers. The top designer is the guy with the most charisma and debate skills who might even just be a guy from QA. Teams work against each other and lobby for ideas to get in and usually have to work nights and weekends to prototype an idea to show it to try and get something in the game. It takes years of meetings just to decide on anything. Like one game had a film editing guy as lead designer. He was pushing for a bunch of cut scenes that interrupted game play constantly that none of the previous versions had. It's basically a ♥♥♥♥ show at a lot of places, but people think oh they made this big named game it would be amazing to work there, then find out all the BS.

Most AAA studios are horrible and don't even have designers. The top designer is the guy with the most charisma and debate skills who might even just be a guy from QA. Teams work against each other and lobby for ideas to get in and usually have to work nights and weekends to prototype an idea to show it to try and get something in the game. It takes years of meetings just to decide on anything. Like one game had a film editing guy as lead designer. He was pushing for a bunch of cut scenes that interrupted game play constantly that none of the previous versions had. It's basically a ♥♥♥♥ show at a lot of places, but people think oh they made this big named game it would be amazing to work there, then find out all the BS.

I do get amazed people say "It's taking you 5 years and it only took 1 for <insert AAA game here> to come out!" when that's only because they don't see the 10 years prior to any kind of announcement...

I don't always like to play the rat race. I'm fine with not having many perks and going looting/exploring instead.

I see almost everyone chase after XP and I cannot understand why. They are shooting themselves in the foot trying to "win" the game.

There is the xp modifier too, that can go below 1x. Yes the game is amazing now that its geared to level slower. The fact is once you get 60 perks you will be pretty damn OP, so guys wanting 300 are just nuts, its way more fun to start over than to keep going. IMO level 100 will be a good end game point, which could be 150 hours, then roll a new character for a new experience and specialization.

Archived