Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@Madmole

Is it possible to add more icon options to the map? It would be nice to use a shotgun icon to mark where the Shotgun Messiahs are etc.

Thanks,

Loc

That would be nice. It wouldn't match the current look and feel of the maps, but perhaps just let us choose from the new item icons already available?

That would be nice. It wouldn't match the current look and feel of the maps, but perhaps just let us choose from the new item icons already available?

That’s what I was thinking. So many icons already in the skills menu. Why not let us use most if not all of them?

Loc

I was just playing, and started thinking about the brass in A18.

I know we will have more ways to obtain it, but will it still be a thing that you can get more out of things if you smelt them directly as opposed to scrapping first?

Yes you will always lose mats scrapping.

@madmole, thank you for the video but I honestly think that you should gate loot. Finding a level 6 gun in the first week is kind of ridiculous, realistically the best stuff you could possibly find is 4. Level 6s spoil the rest of the variations of that gun you find until the next level 6 you find (which is probably going to be a long, long time), the chance to find a level 6 shouldn't roll around until about the same time that hordes start getting intense IMO

Yeah well guppy would have no leveled loot at all. I think its an over-reaction to that rare ass 1% chance, or lucky looter is nuts. I didn't see any pink until about level 40+ in my last game. I'm keeping a close eye on it. My last game was brown and orange for teh first 15-20 levels, then some yellow green for 20 more levels, with one rare blue, and then the blue/pink started spawning more around level 50.

@Madmole

Is it possible to add more icon options to the map? It would be nice to use a shotgun icon to mark where the Shotgun Messiahs are etc.

Thanks,

Loc

Yeah we're going to revisit that, we need just a big ol red X with no text so I can mark pois I've cleared.

Not having to switch between pickaxe and shovel is awesome. It was always really, really annoying having to switch while mining. =)

Yeah I had deleted gravel mining for a while for that reason, but we missed a few falling blocks and then I got to thinking what did I really hate about gravel and it was having to switch tools so we bumped pick damage to gravel. Not as nice as a shovel but good enough to clear it, especially perked up. You guys saw some pretty crude early game mining.

Madmole, I found a bunch of typos. Wrench perk (salvage operations), apparently in all 5 ranks? couldn't check but 2 from the video.

It says: "Wrenches harvests x% and gets x% resources"

Correct form:

Junk collector: "Harvest" 20% faster and "gain" 20% more resources instead of "Harvests" and "gains"

Scavenger:It should be Wrenches "harvest" 40% more resources and "gain" 40% more resources instead of "harvests" and "gains"

Salvager: It should be Wrenches "harvest" 60% more resources and "gain" 60% more resources instead of "harvests" and "gains"

Parts collector: It should be Wrenches "harvest" 80% more resources and "gain" 80% more resources instead of "harvests" and "gains"

Master scavenger: It should be Wrenches "harvest" 100% more resources and "gain" 100% more resources instead of "harvests" and "gains"

I understand it might've been a copy paste situation, so all ranks of Salvage Operations are affected. I hope that helps! cheers!

Yeah well guppy would have no leveled loot at all. I think its an over-reaction to that rare ass 1% chance, or lucky looter is nuts. I didn't see any pink until about level 40+ in my last game. I'm keeping a close eye on it. My last game was brown and orange for teh first 15-20 levels, then some yellow green for 20 more levels, with one rare blue, and then the blue/pink started spawning more around level 50.

To be clear, you're actually a lot closer to my vision than you used to be.

I was for crafting level 1-3 (hand made), skipping 4, and only *rarely* finding 5-6 (factory made).

...couple this with degradation, and books to learn how to fix (while dropping a level, so a 6 to a 5, a 5 to a 4), and you got it.

@Madmole

Not to sound greedy, but can you do maybe a quick series on the Level perk system? I would like to take a look and start making build plans with friends, and maybe see how I might want to mix and match. Hell I'd take just a forum post list so I can study it. Please?

And thanks for all the work you and TFP put into it. Have nearly 2500 hours in the game, and my only game that even comes close is TF2 at 1800. Thoroughly love this game.

LOL yeah guppies icon is from a let em pick anything crazy days.

Damn, ears are burning tonight. :)

Yeh in fact that's kinda why I chose that extreme when Uma was introduced... You should have seen his body. :)

(Still think he woulda made the perfect Duke)

- - - Updated - - -

@madmole, thank you for the video but I honestly think that you should gate loot. Finding a level 6 gun in the first week is kind of ridiculous, realistically the best stuff you could possibly find is 4. Level 6s spoil the rest of the variations of that gun you find until the next level 6 you find (which is probably going to be a long, long time), the chance to find a level 6 shouldn't roll around until about the same time that hordes start getting intense IMO

With the current system, where you can repair such a high-quality item with a simple repair kit, I would almost agree... But with my ideal system, where repairs (and this used to be a thing) brought down the quality of an item, it works great. I know, because I've played it.

Madmole,

in regards to Temperature ..which didnt work in A17 and has been said to be an A19 thing.... has it at least been tweaked that you can survive and not walk around sweating or shivering every 5 minutes as you walk from one biome to another. I was giving everyone on my server a Pimps pink skin that was +-100 hot and cold. Only way to make it work??

Coughs * RELEASE the Kraken* Coughs

This. I brought it up pages ago but it got lost in the noise due to other topics at the time.

Same, in A17 going anywhere other than the forest biome was super annoying, even with clothing, mods, and even perking into it. Somehow biomes I frequented in A16 became a late game challenge in A17.

Yeh I'm on a desert snow border, and have to constantly jump between the two. It's ridonkulous.

- - - Updated - - -

From my understanding, the chances of going from sweating to shivering should be less because there shouldn't be desert meeting snow biome. I know that was talked about, but unsure if it was ever fully realized.

We have that brief iteration where snow was north and desert was south... It was good.

From my understanding, the chances of going from sweating to shivering should be less because there shouldn't be desert meeting snow biome. I know that was talked about, but unsure if it was ever fully realized.

Well the first version of RWG for A17 actually put snow biomes in the north and desert in the south. I was so happy, then they changed it, and so I avoided RWG after that. Could at least make it a generation option or something, patchwork biomes are dumb, and with the temp being so broken it was extra ridiculous.

Archived