Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yeah the immediate change in temp when entering another biom is a bit ridiculous. Its no game breaker but is an annoyance.

I'm guessing here but I imagine a simple timer would fix that issue. Instead of an instant change in temp there should be a gradual change over a couple of minutes.

Secondly (in importance): campfires. If you're freezing in the snow biome and you craft and light a campfire to increase your internal temperatures to a comfortable level... The moment you walked away, you'd immediately be freezing again. Basically, you'd be held hostage to that one location. It's nothing game breaking, but it is somewhat annoying at times. :p

Ah.. So you are a young grasshopper still! Here.. I think it's time to learn some responsibility. Take care of her..

* Hands over Gerda the Granite *

Remember she needs to be walked twice a day.

I've walked a hunk of granite before. It's a real drag....

Will the file structure/file layout change a lot from A17 to A18, as it did from A16 to A17?

The reason Im asking is that Im still modding A17 to prepare for A18, but if the file structures in A18 will be very different than A17, it is pointless.

I will really appreciate if someone know anything about this?

while there is a lot of impatient people... we do have patient people as well... :)

and it doesnt matter... last i heard... MM dropped the magic box with the green button to release and had to send it out for repairs. :)

OMG! Hitler would be FURIOUS! He might even start a war or something if that happened.

In a18 you can be lvl 5 or 6 forever. Several times I have asked for a way to cut down XP gain for myself (the opposite of nerd goggles) and now I got one without even trying.

I don't always like to play the rat race. I'm fine with not having many perks and going looting/exploring instead.

I see almost everyone chase after XP and I cannot understand why. They are shooting themselves in the foot trying to "win" the game.

The way I tend to do it is: My gear and/or Brute strength Fortress (not a sissy fort) has to be capable of dealing with the NEXT stage before I push forward.

Kinda like walking on river ice, I test my next step.

We deleted the black duster. Let the hate begin!!!!

You can dye it black now, so no biggy.

WHAAT ! How can I get my goth on now? That's it! The game is beyond redemption. It's become worse that an dog at a lovely legs competition. It's...it's...we had a black duster?

Yeah I had deleted gravel mining for a while for that reason, but we missed a few falling blocks and then I got to thinking what did I really hate about gravel and it was having to switch tools so we bumped pick damage to gravel. Not as nice as a shovel but good enough to clear it, especially perked up. You guys saw some pretty crude early game mining.

Clearing gravel with a pickaxe? This makes a geologist sad..

I've walked a hunk of granite before. It's a real drag....

Are you sure the piece of granite was the real drag? ;)

- - - Updated - - -

well, pickaxe has 2 sides. a sharp pointy side, and the wide bladed side. guess he swapped sides? his woman may get upset, but snowdog gets a new partner?

Nah that guy has had more partners than some presidents..

4duC0J0t.jpg

This can pop up if

- your max health is lowered

- your regular health is completely filled up (up to the blacked-out part)

- you are eating food (or whatever) that adds "food healing" but no "max health healing"

This is the exact case of not understanding the health system and trying to heal with food when that is not possible.

This buff/message can only trigger every 5 minutes and it will trigger a maximum of 5 times for a player.

Yes, we have a journal page for that but most don't read that so I'd shove the one critical piece of it into their faces. =P

Nice crossbows brah. Also did your character fall in love or something?

+1000 to whomever gets it

Eh, I think we have all been very patient, especially considering the original release date goal was around July. Then that slipped and became August. Now we're in mid-September and still no solid release date to look forward to.

A lot of us understand the nature of game development. I myself work in software (was a developer, now I manage teams) and I understand that release dates slip. The concern here is that this is slowly becoming another A17. I bet most people here would prefer smaller content patches with a 4-6 week release cadence over these large ones that seem to constantly suffer from massive scope creep and repeatedly missed deadlines. Think about it: most people probably play for 4-6 weeks before "finishing" a game anyway. Wouldn't it be awesome if a new patch hit right around then?

For example, to me, it makes sense to make one patch solely about weapons, another one solely about survival mechanics, another one solely about new zombie AI, etc. rather than cram as much as possible into a single patch. If balance is a concern, you can have periodic (e.g. twice a year) balance patches to round things out.

It's probably too late for this now, but something to keep in mind for 7 Days To Die 2, maybe.

IMO not only most people would prefer much shorter release cycle: I've seen how many many game devs use this strategy succesfully to keep more people playing, streaming it and talking about.

The idea is, as you said, thematic patches fitting in balance changes and bugfixes. Games like Oxygen not included, Subnautica or Rust also create new wonderful posts every new patch in their steam webpages with animated gifs, screenshots and videos.

In a18 you can be lvl 5 or 6 forever. Several times I have asked for a way to cut down XP gain for myself (the opposite of nerd goggles) and now I got one without even trying.

Not a very elegant solution when you have to die to avoid leveling.

I don't always like to play the rat race. I'm fine with not having many perks and going looting/exploring instead.

I don't like to rush things either. However, I prefer building rather than looting.

That worked well for me in A15 and A16. In A17 less so because I couldn't make iron tools myself up to level 20. So I had to find some and I had to use the forge at the trader until level 10.

I see almost everyone chase after XP and I cannot understand why. They are shooting themselves in the foot trying to "win" the game.

That's the problem when you set up obstacles like level gates. The players take this as an incentive to overcome them as fast as possible. Let's see how it works in A18 without levelgates.

Agreed, we're talking about making a small 19 possibly before Christmas and push some big stuff to 20 or 21 for that very reason.

We both know this isn't gonna happen though, right ? I mean, this discussion comes up every single alpha (release cycle times) but in the end there's always this insane scope creep in order to release an alpha version "that matters". If i'm reading in between the lines here it's not really a net positive either to be honest, all I'm understanding is A19 might be a "short" Alpha with small features, balance changes and some reworks, while bandits will inevitably be postponed yet again to the next big release which won't be there 1 year from now.

Regarding temperature, what we did with my group was mod the perk that gives insulation protection, so that the first rank gives +50 instead of +5. It eats up a skill point but we were happy spending it and being done with it. Temperature is just a chore to micro manage in it's current state anyways.

Archived