Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

good idea actually *starts modding*

You might win clunky mod of the year award at least :) I mean something like that could be ok for some kind of super immersion mod that turns the game to more of a day z kind of feeling, but for us we don't see value in making simple rewards complex in design. Its just busy work for the sake of being complicated.

Heh...says the fellows who had us forging re-bar frames, placing them, and then nailing plywood forms together before pouring concrete (you did mix concrete, right?) and waiting for the plywood to drop off after the cement dried.

-Morloc

Nothing has changed there except the plywood is gone. The reason being was we didn't know where the top was after rotations so it made sense to just make the whole block wet concrete.

You might win clunky mod of the year award at least :) I mean something like that could be ok for some kind of super immersion mod that turns the game to more of a day z kind of feeling, but for us we don't see value in making simple rewards complex in design. Its just busy work for the sake of being complicated.

♥♥♥♥ like that would be cool for 24 hr days, but beyond that. =)

Hey MadMole -

Are you going to post videos of your Perception Build guy fighting a blood moon horde? I'm kind of curious to see how it stacks up compared to the tank build...

No point in that until it gets into some later blood moons. I wipe them out in 12 seconds flat.

We wouldn't mind a 10 minute video of you just testing and telling us again how it feels and you know, just being you. We need our fix, please? ;P

Yeah, and people who say they are your biggest fans and that they do not care about the bugs are ALWAYS the first ones to pick up the pitchforks and scream about your demise.

I have seen it so many times in the numerous alphas and betas i have participated in, lol.

Yes, the people complaining about it not being out yet, will be the first ones to complain about bugs not fixed. Complaining is a lifestyle, just like being polite, or fit are. Its an acquired habit through conscious effort that comes natural if you do it all the time.

Um I'm a fan of 7DTD and I genuinely don't care about bugs that much. Honestly the only one that actually got under my skin was the bug where people would drown despite not being in water when on multiplayer servers, that was really annoying. Other than that, I'm a happy camper. I think people who are already crying doom on the forums are the ones who'd complain. And why would you want to appease the unappeasable?

My favorite bugs have been food bugs. There was one in 16 or 17 where it was dropping constantly and I had to scramble to keep myself fed. Just yesterday I noticed cardio perks didn't apply to a bicycle, try sprint pedaling with -30 cold (thats how much protection I would need to be comfy). My food bar was dropping 50% in half a mile. Then after that, harvest stopped working so hunting was 100% useless, so all I could do was use canned food and what I had.

That said, I love a hard game but a lot of people don't. I'd like to improve vanilla food balance a bit more, and later expose options to make it really hard early game.

Madmole - Can I assume you have added/tweaked the paint textures for A18? Any new ones you'd care to show off? Any new zombie flaming quilts (to smother dying zombies with) with Barney stamped on them?

Lots have been updated, probably less total textures because some were so close it made sense to ditch one to leave room for new ones in the future. I'm not doing art any more, I'm 100% focused on design/balance. I might model some new block shapes and integrate art (pretty good tech artist) in between things to help out, but no more pixel pushing for me. I ordered some new PC only glasses hopefully I don't get so much eye strain, I miss drawing/painting.

♥♥♥♥ like that would be cool for 24 hr days, but beyond that. =)

Yeah the thing about the farming change is like seriously I've never felt so stressed out in my life before playing this game. Its a good stress because there is this intense desire to find all these things you need and I got nuts if I can't start my base. So its like you are trying to do quests, you are trying to do some looting, theres a rare schematic for 1600 dukes you can't afford, oh great now a bicycle for 5 grand I don't have... I need to spend 1800 on bullets for horde night and money doesn't grow on trees.

So 18 feels totally different, there are literally 300+ things to find that are going to change your life and it takes a lot of time to find them, and until you have at least 40% of that stuff you feel a lot of pressure or desire to "do it all" but have to allocate time to various things. So all this "its not a survival game" talk is bs, its harder than ever IMO because you need a ton of things, or WANT a ton of things if that makes sense. Leveling is slowed so perk unlocks feel strategic. You hope you find a forge schematic so you can skip INT, then your hoping to find a work bench, then a cement mixer. If you spend points on those things, your combat suffers, so its a choice. A ton of choice, a lot of heavy choices.

Yes, the people complaining about it not being out yet, will be the first ones to complain about bugs not fixed. Complaining is a lifestyle, just like being polite, or fit are. Its an acquired habit through conscious effort that comes natural if you do it all the time.

Eh, I think we have all been very patient, especially considering the original release date goal was around July. Then that slipped and became August. Now we're in mid-September and still no solid release date to look forward to.

A lot of us understand the nature of game development. I myself work in software (was a developer, now I manage teams) and I understand that release dates slip. The concern here is that this is slowly becoming another A17. I bet most people here would prefer smaller content patches with a 4-6 week release cadence over these large ones that seem to constantly suffer from massive scope creep and repeatedly missed deadlines. Think about it: most people probably play for 4-6 weeks before "finishing" a game anyway. Wouldn't it be awesome if a new patch hit right around then?

For example, to me, it makes sense to make one patch solely about weapons, another one solely about survival mechanics, another one solely about new zombie AI, etc. rather than cram as much as possible into a single patch. If balance is a concern, you can have periodic (e.g. twice a year) balance patches to round things out.

It's probably too late for this now, but something to keep in mind for 7 Days To Die 2, maybe.

No matter what this will always happen especially in this day and age . :)

source.gif

I know that feel. 6 days before christmas for me.

I just still wish modders could at least get early access to the XML so we can start looking at how things work to port our projects over. People asking for release dates isn't just something TFP have to deal with. ;)

So here is my question when will Darkness falls will come to alpha 18? xD am i agraviating you now xD

Ya, like going to fight a giant in skyrim only to be launched into space, good times. Maybe the demolishers will have a bug similar to this, lol.

LOL - this reminds me of the ladder bug in A14 or A15 where you had a chance of shooting into space when you got to the top of a ladder! Learned real quick to put a roof over the ladders. :smile-new:

I am so looking forward to A18! My playstyle evolves in stages. I play with a large group of people on RWG and some I'm peaceful with, others I pvp and raid, but still are friends out of server. First week or 2 I'm a nomad, scavenging book stores and food, looking for beautiful or hidden places with water and, a trader or 2 nearby. It also lets me remove FoW on my map. After that I make a garden with seeds and food I gathered, usually 10x15, with preference to potatoes, corn, mushrooms, and cloth.

Once food is underway, I start base building, sometimes it's underground, sometimes it's a mini castle with a moat. My personal favorite is to make an Ewok village in the trees using walkways and pine trees (Pinetrees are always my aesthetic, and I plant them near bases I've raided as a calling card... And so the server admin knows who did it when a rando on the server complains that I somehow cheated. Nope, I'm retired and will spend hours on your base, my friend)

After the base is at least locked and started, I then start horde base at least 1 km away. with all the new thing my current designs wont work, so that will be fun. All the while focusing on crafting, scavenging, and harvesting skills, with weapons of choice being Bows and Pistols, being silent and ammo efficient, while requiring skill to get the damage.

I am super looking forward to playing with my friends again on this (not on 7dtd right now so I don't burn out before A18) and coming up with new base design builds, and working out the puzzle that will be other peoples bases..

Archived