Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I assume it's seen as a bad mechanic because the countermeasure is easy but tedious: Clearing out the area of wandering zombies before you go into any poi.

Since the lesser temperature debuff just results in higher food consumption I just ignored it after the food problem was solved.

How could they be so wrong? Oi, you redrock. You rubin.

Granted, i like the sound of redrock.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried some more witcher 3, but the combat feels poor compared to Skyrim so I just get new mods and play a new build in Skyrim lol. Can you even level up in that game? Are there perks or ways to get stronger?

ACDC and Metallica, Extreme had one good album back in the day. More modern ones I like are SOAD, Shinedown, Godsmack, 5 finger death punch, Seether.

Nice! Got some similar tastes i see.

Yeah in the witcher you also have perks which (hah!) you can unlock with xp. You can only unlock a minor portion of them all in a single playthrough.

- - - Updated - - -

Call it the no starter xp challenge, a new cool fad like dead is dead and just be man and hit the cancel button. Live life like a true viking and grow your beard out.

Lol yeah i guess that will work..

I already have a red beard man ^-^

You could even do world transitions and do several maps, which are connected at the borders and then run it on a server cluster, each server running its part :smile-new:.

The elements are available for a simpler version if you want to set it up.

1. Space: In the radiation zone you can paint a liveable biome. Rad border

is preventive measure for initial build time and resouce management, seen

in a Rol poll. But people are generating up to 16K for certain layouts.

Just build it beyond max view or it just becomes a temptation for all the

Richards that log on to the server.

2 Environment: Extension from 1 and with multiple choices, Can be 1 of the

other biomes, or if not removed yet a legacy Game mode can be engaged. Spawn

rules can be applied specifically here.

3 Limiter: the borders, Invisible texture, render ground to sky, attribute

Traderblock.

Subterranean after 3 block make radiated enhanced, mainly for Little Richards

and caput roosters.

4 Motivation: Introductory quests. "Don't put tutorial" Call it something like

Introduction quest, Orientation, Sanctuary. Allows mechanics, menu, and menu

intraction learning shot period, low pressure. Upon completion, popup are you

ready, If yes, telport cmd to random point. Just as game does it now, no lag time

5 points to invest, the 8 section inital quest complete, and they save face.

PS: for multiple server it may be better on resources and gameplay if serverside was

basically set as multifaceted database, if all graphics gen and activity were client

side, and distributed amongst the client computers. The more computers the more the

resources are distributed The lower the process load per computer.

like a Neuralnet configuration.

Joking aside about that, are you still planning on supporting VR, and if so, will it be in a deep way (being able to reach down and pick up rocks) or via the controllers (press button x to pick up rock)?

I expect the latter but hope for the former. =)

The forums will expect to crawl on the floor for VR to get through a 1 block gap...😅

The forums will expect to crawl on the floor for VR to get through a 1 block gap...

Lol. Well, I can tell you from having an Oculus (and even one of the VR Development Kits) that 7 Days will need a massive UI overhaul to work with the Rift unless you're super good at looking at things with your peripheral vision. I never could see the dang toolbar properly...

I say, "Death to Lucky Looter! Death to Leveled Loot!" It makes looting boring and predictable, and with random stats; is it even necessary anymore for what you wanted? When you put legendary items in game these two systems are gonna be beyond OP game breaking.

Where do you come up with its going to be OP? have you played alpha 18 yet. Its weird how people say something is going to be op when that kinda statement is based on nothing at all. Unless of course its not based on "psychic abilities" and actually based on some kind of fact or facts. :)

Why down with lucky looter? Again have you played alpha 18?

I'm very curious how people come up with these predictive type statements based on...whatever they base it upon.

Point noted, one alpha at a time. We LBD that looting sucked in 17, thats fixed, now if lack of survival elements truly is a thing, we'll fix that next. I'm starting to feel some food crunch from pedaling my bike. Was it a huge food hog in 17 or is something broken? Does the cardio perk work with bicycles? If someone can test, let me know your results!

It drains a good amount of food in 17 but food is plentiful enough that it really does not matter. I notice a pretty big difference in how often I eat after I get my minibike though. Enough that there are times I just skip the bike entirely.

No idea about cardio.

Where do you come up with its going to be OP? have you played alpha 18 yet. Its weird how people say something is going to be op when that kinda statement is based on nothing at all. Unless of course its not based on "psychic abilities" and actually based on some kind of fact or facts. :)

Why down with lucky looter? Again have you played alpha 18?

I'm very curious how people come up with these predictive type statements based on...whatever they base it upon.

A18? Leveled loot has been in game for a few alphas now and Lucky Looter is a perk. There maybe be confusion because Madmole also made a book series called The Lucky Looter (which is fine). Also legendary loot is not coming in A18 (unless its a suprise).

Basically Game staged loot coupled with the perk guarentee you will be swimming in the best gear. As it has been for a while now. Now if you can imagine when they introduce Legendary gear then maxing out Lucky Looter right away would be a no brainier. Especially with no level gates coming, starting in A18.

When they first added it that was the first thing people maxed out. Even going so far as to not loot any POIs until it was. It was insane.

My 2 cents: with the addiction of the random stats loot (borderlands style) it would be also cool to have a new window that pop up when you look at a weapon? I mean atm if you drop a weapon on the ground you can't see his stats until is in your inventory, it so annoying. Every Rpg game has this thing and it could be useful IMHO. On the other side i'm really looking forward to play a18.

I'm a little concerned about the perception and int guy being broken/unbalanced but we can patch them as we go. Thats why Im testing today. Should be pretty solid by next weekend. I fixed several bugs today I found.

Thanks for replying. :)

Sorry...catching up.

Loc

Madmole, I know this might sound like a Pimp dream, but nevertheless Imma tell you:

Did you ever consider a "food pile/trap" crafted out of raw meat/crops that makes Zds (some of them) always attack it first?

1. It could work with normal and feral only for instance. That way it would be a nice addition to the gameplay on horde nights.

2. It might be a nice choice for the players to use their precious reserves strategically and expend them on a few of those traps.

What do you think about this idea?

Makes the game too easy. I'd say you have it opposite, it could work on non feral zombies and NOT on the blood moon. We have talked about a meat bomb that works in any situation, with costly crafting recipe that zombies magnet to and it blows as they start eating into it. Probabaly a 5 second delay once the first zed tears into it.

touché

I'll see how it pans out Joel.

The ride is scary but I'll stay in my seat because frankly, I have no choice.

don't drive us off the road.

In the grand scheme of things we added 500 awesome things to A18. If we messed up two (turned down zombie spawns and farming) then I'd say even the guy I banned will be super happy.

You can plant if you want to

You can leave your hoe behind

'Cause your hoe don't plant,

and if it don't plant, well, it's

no hoe of mine

Anyhow.. looking forward to trying the new planting system. If I experience any issues with it I'll let you know.

[is there an achievement for reading through the posts of the last 2 days? ]

I loved that stupid song, came out when I was like 16 or so. Back in the days where you taped songs off the radio with a tape recorder so you could hear it again at will lol, even with the background noise.

Well, ya. The story, NPC's and player classes are all part of the rich world they create. As I said, there were hands down the best world creators in the industry IMHO.

Where they failed ever damn time is game play. It was always atrocious IMO. Dozens of mods later, game play is fixed and the game can really be experienced.

Don't get me wrong, I am not hating on Bethesda here (unless we get into bugs because then I will hate on them :D ) I just lament the loss of what they could have done with good game play and the most amazing environments out there. Things like the tweaks SkyUI does should just be a given. The default interface in Skyrim is abysmal.

FO4 is the first Bethsada game that was somewhat acceptable out of the box for me. Still a LOT better with some basic MODS though :p

- - - Updated - - -

Do the new planters have SI? Can you build a roof out of them or do they need to be placed on wooden blocks?

I guess I took "world building" as creating POIs, not characters, not items, not anything but meshes and terrain. Most of their game play isn't horrible IMO, we forgive them because you can do so much stuff, and like you said there are mods that "fix" everything, depending on what you think is broken.

I don't know, I'm sure they have some, perhaps like wood? Depends what they extend I suppose. I didn't think of making a fort out of them lol.

Thanks for the reply MM. Any chance you could show off a bit more of the PVE with another player or more to show off some of the improvements in regard to that experience?

I doubt it, unless we miss Friday's ship date, in which I'll have a couple more weeks to do nothing but make videos and test.

Archived