Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I tried some more witcher 3, but the combat feels poor compared to Skyrim so I just get new mods and play a new build in Skyrim lol. Can you even level up in that game? Are there perks or ways to get stronger?

ACDC and Metallica, Extreme had one good album back in the day. More modern ones I like are SOAD, Shinedown, Godsmack, 5 finger death punch, Seether.

How dare you not add Guns N' Roses to that list. :)

But I think that's a large part of the issue and many people have said it now: the game has gone from balancing survival, with non-7 day zombies being only a smallish part of the game and all of the other game mechanics being equally as important to survive. Now it seems to be survival is only 5% of the game and zombies and looting the majority of the rest.

When I first started maybe A12, I forget now, the game was a nice blend of survival and resource management and legitimate concern that your character wasn't going to starve to death, all leading up to day 7 when you would have wanted to balance things well or you wouldn't survive.

I loved the mini-games and different ways of doing things. Even though combining guns to get a better gun didn't make sense, it was a mechanic that got us doing something different in the game than the rest of it.

Largely that's my opinion about farming. Using the hoe was a different mechanic that made it that little bit more interesting. It wasn't crafting, which we do enough of already.

Many people, including myself, would have welcomed things like food spoilage and battery management into the game because it's all about balancing and survival and organising yourself well or suffer the consequences.

Food has never been a problem ever except for noobs or ppl on over populated MP servers, or 25% loot guys, etc.

We've balanced xp now, but I still don't see what you are talking about. Survival is breathing, how you choose to continue breathing is up to the player. We're trying to balance food but its impossible without special MP spawning added. I play how I always have, and its more survival now than ever. Just because we have nice guns how does that lessen the survival aspect?

Weather is unfinished and will add more survival later.

Food poisoning causes you to throw up and lose food. Only canned foods are immune to food poisoning, or someone who buys all 5 ranks of Iron gut perk or whatever its called. This should put a dent in food reserves occasionally.

Madmole - Is there a reason why we can't have the new Planters and be able to do a similar process on the ground, just adding the hoeing process for ground only both? Is it because of a system performance issue? I've been reading the "controversy" on farming and see that as a compromise and just curious as to why it seems it must be one or the other. I'm sure others have the same question. Thx

We want one farming tool tip, not two.

Does anyone else find it difficult to throw away small amounts of dukes that you find in loot (10 dukes, for example), but you don't give second thoughts about throwing away or scrapping something that could be worth, say, 100 dukes, even if those (10) dukes are in your inventory? Like, is there some weird psychological stuff going on, or is it just me?

MadMole -- Thinking about the farming blocks here. I can understand it for most of your crops, but not sure it makes sense with trees. We have perks that increase the harvest of crop plants but they don't do anything for trees, right? Why would we need to plant trees in special boxes to improve the harvest if it gets us no gain?

Also, circling back to my question about being able to plant smaller trees. Right now, we have only 3 tree types to plant that within a week game time they are full sized. Fine for harvesting wood, but I like the looks of some of the smaller trees and would like to be able to plant some of them in and around my bases without having to use the cheat menus.

Trees are planted in the dirt like always. One line of code and you can plant crops this way too if you want to mod. Don't see the need for further discussion.

...Food poisoning causes you to throw up and lose food. Only canned foods are immune to food poisoning, or someone who buys all 5 ranks of Iron gut perk or whatever its called. This should put a dent in food reserves occasionally.

So you could advance the cooking abilities for food, so a farmer/cook could be able to make food that has less or no chance for food poisoning or even creates a nice buff.

Food has never been a problem ever except for noobs or ppl on over populated MP servers, or 25% loot guys, etc.

We've balanced xp now, but I still don't see what you are talking about. Survival is breathing, how you choose to continue breathing is up to the player. We're trying to balance food but its impossible without special MP spawning added. I play how I always have, and its more survival now than ever. Just because we have nice guns how does that lessen the survival aspect?

Weather is unfinished and will add more survival later.

Food poisoning causes you to throw up and lose food. Only canned foods are immune to food poisoning, or someone who buys all 5 ranks of Iron gut perk or whatever its called. This should put a dent in food reserves occasionally.

So there's no other side-affects, like loss of health or stamina? If not, then that's cool. (I don't really have an opinion on it; I'm just commenting.)

ah, that makes sense.. however... ALL dead??? Man, that is just wrong, ♥♥♥♥. I used to love trotting through there and grabbing some corn along the way. Although I like the new boxes coming for player farming, this part is not good news at all. So, if they found a way to bring ground based back somehow then I hope they do.

Also, if I can now press E to harvest my garden, can I also please, pretty please, also do so to pick cotton and flowers in the wild? I usally run around with my bow in hand, I hated having to switch to something else in my toolbelt so that I could hit a ♥♥♥♥ing flower, the result was I just didn't collect anywhere as much as I used to.

Why is all the corn dead if the flowers and blueberries etc aren't? That seems unnecessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, that's interesting, now I can see why peeps who experienced that now miss it.

I imagine all the corn is dead simply because a few corn fields represented the absolute end to needing to find food. They were overly powerful.

Honestly, they should simply remove them then IMHO. Mass fields of dead corn is just silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Would it be possible just to make it a one time use thing? So either you can place it near a building you're looting and if you die, you can spawn there once, otherwise it's gone and you have to make a new bedroll.

I guess I just don't like the idea of it being an easy 'cheat' every time to spawn in either this or that area. Make it need some extra cost (time to craft another one, for example).

It is not easy because the DP is a quarter of the XP required to get to the next level. That is really taxing really fast if you abuse the system in any way.

When TFP get around to making factions it would be neat in RWG if we could make our own faction that we would be siding with.

name and symbol

other factions would be randomly chosen.

You would have a selection of styles, symbols and poi bases.

A replayable randomized system that fits well with the RWG's nature.

Madmole, I know this might sound like a Pimp dream, but nevertheless Imma tell you:

Did you ever consider a "food pile/trap" crafted out of raw meat/crops that makes Zds (some of them) always attack it first?

1. It could work with normal and feral only for instance. That way it would be a nice addition to the gameplay on horde nights.

2. It might be a nice choice for the players to use their precious reserves strategically and expend them on a few of those traps.

What do you think about this idea?

When TFP get around to making factions it would be neat in RWG if we could make our own faction that we would be siding with.

name and symbol

other factions would be randomly chosen.

You would have a selection of styles, symbols and poi bases.

Hey man, I asked you this in the past and I think you missed it. I'm just curious so I'll ask again, have you ever played this game? :)

You don't hoe. The hoe is gone. You craft a box and put it where you want a crop to be.

You can plant if you want to

You can leave your hoe behind

'Cause your hoe don't plant,

and if it don't plant, well, it's

no hoe of mine

Anyhow.. looking forward to trying the new planting system. If I experience any issues with it I'll let you know.

[is there an achievement for reading through the posts of the last 2 days? ]

I'd disagree, they are (were as of late) the best devs on the planet, with Rockstart runner up. INterested to see what Obsidian does. I mean I take it as a whole. As a whole product. Yeah some stuff is meh but no games have had me log that many hours. Of course mods extend the length, but the story, npcs, player classes had me when I looked at the box.

Well, ya. The story, NPC's and player classes are all part of the rich world they create. As I said, there were hands down the best world creators in the industry IMHO.

Where they failed ever damn time is game play. It was always atrocious IMO. Dozens of mods later, game play is fixed and the game can really be experienced.

Don't get me wrong, I am not hating on Bethesda here (unless we get into bugs because then I will hate on them :D ) I just lament the loss of what they could have done with good game play and the most amazing environments out there. Things like the tweaks SkyUI does should just be a given. The default interface in Skyrim is abysmal.

FO4 is the first Bethsada game that was somewhat acceptable out of the box for me. Still a LOT better with some basic MODS though :p

- - - Updated - - -

Do the new planters have SI? Can you build a roof out of them or do they need to be placed on wooden blocks?

Does anyone else find it difficult to throw away small amounts of dukes that you find in loot (10 dukes, for example), but you don't give second thoughts about throwing away or scrapping something that could be worth, say, 100 dukes, even if those (10) dukes are in your inventory? Like, is there some weird psychological stuff going on, or is it just me?

One word: stackability.

A fast way to scavenge is hitting "R" whenever you see at least one usefull item and sorting out/scraping useless stuff later, then there are a few items and scrap materials that will automatically fill up inventory. It is only a temporary relieve getting rid of them because you will find more of those items in the next POI again. You may as well collect them.

One word: stackability.

A fast way to scavenge is hitting "R" whenever you see at least one usefull item and sorting out/scraping useless stuff later, then there are a few items and scrap materials that will automatically fill up inventory. It is only a temporary relieve getting rid of them because you will find more of those items in the next POI again. You may as well collect them.

True, true. I just always look at the 1 or so duke I find in loot and go, "Ahh, you know, that's super valuable... But I need inventory space. I'll scrap the headlight then (which is worth around 50 dukes)." *Shrugs*

Also I tend to press "R" just before the loot timer runs through its course, so I end up taking the items and leaving the container before even entering it. In other words, speed looting.

I feel once the Dynamic Music System includes combat music a lot of those annoyances about sneaky wolves, dogs, and zombies will be put to rest.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not just a visual disturbance either. Bike tires really really hate them too.

Combat music won't start until you have clearly been attacked, its not going to kick in just because someone is sneaking up on you like in Oblivion :)

Archived