Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I love your mods, and know you are real good modder, but the idea of early key is for promotion, not for testing. Been a modder or old player we are at time bound to our experience with game and cannot see things as new eye will do. I think if they do not send to respectable modder like you, then it is no disrespect. I would not take feedback of game from those who are already using [for that I have in house team anyways]. I will take fresh people to see what they can find like or dislike so I can plan market strategies.

I must say Madmole is clever and knows how to market it. So, don't get heart broken. You already are winner for us.

Well, if we want to be pragmatic, releasing keys early for modders gives them the opportunity to go through all the new / reworked XMLs, in order to provide an A18 compatible version of their mod quicker... It's also a small compensation for all the hard work accomplished throughout the years, because while I could envision how creating my own mod could be fun (I've only done non-released modlets for my friends and I), I can't even fathom porting some of the larger mods from one Alpha version to the next...!

I agree. It would be nice being able to compare two items. This could be done by selecting an item in your inventory and holding down Alt to reveal another window that shows the stats of the item you are using/wearing.

But isn't this already in the game? Even without alt-key, notice the red or green numbers behind the stats. Sure, they are not as comfortable and complete as one might wish. And there is the problem that boni from mods or ammo are included in the worn item (MM seems to be aware of it).

I think that's an exaggeration. I've got Lucky Looter at maximum and I'm level 250 and still I mostly find Q1 to Q3 items. I find Q4 and Q5 items less and rarely Q6 items. The weapons I use and the armor I wear are made by myself.

Lucky Looter doesn't automatically give you the best gear. It only helps luck a little bit.

One difference between A17 and A18 is that in A17 finding a higher quality weapon did not immediately make you better, you needed mods as well. In A18 a higher quality weapon has on average better stats (especially damage).

Another difference between A17 and A18 is the slower progression of gamestage, so a luck bonus that was equivalent to getting the loot table of a week from now (A17) might be equivalent to a 2 or 3 weeks bonus (A18).

In effect: Even if LL was balanced or weak in A17 and nobody changed the perk it still might be OP now.

@Madmole

I was curious if you have seen the video "7 Days to Die is Back! But When's the Premiere?" posted a few days ago on Neebs Gaming youtube channel and there comments on A17 and some of there requests they pitched to TFP regarding changes?

One problem with listening to comedians is knowing whether they really mean it or just milk a topic for fun.

I'm not a streamer nor a modder, but I agree that dedicated modders should get a key if any keys are given out before official release.

And in case there's too many, well, be likable boys :D

But then who do you say is a "dedicated" modder? Where's the cutoff? What metric do you use to determine "dedicated"?

Slippery slope.

Well, if we want to be pragmatic, releasing keys early for modders gives them the opportunity to go through all the new / reworked XMLs, in order to provide an A18 compatible version of their mod quicker... It's also a small compensation for all the hard work accomplished throughout the years, because while I could envision how creating my own mod could be fun (I've only done non-released modlets for my friends and I), I can't even fathom porting some of the larger mods from one Alpha version to the next...!

Now this IS something I don't understand... Releasing the xmls... It can't hurt to release them the same time streamers get access, because let's face it, the streamers are going to ruin any surprises anyway, AND it would be a good "thank you" to the guys who keep the game going during the incredibly long dev cycles between alphas.

Now this IS something I don't understand... Releasing the xmls... It can't hurt to release them the same time streamers get access, because let's face it, the streamers are going to ruin any surprises anyway, AND it would be a good "thank you" to the guys who keep the game going during the incredibly long dev cycles between alphas.

Really good idea. Hope MM sees this and thinks so too. Just put the XML files up somewhere.

Some modder might find a bug or inconsistency and boom... fixed before release!

Well it kinda depends on how many keys you want to give out, but it's not different than picking streamers... it's no secret some mods have more success than others, I don't even follow the mod community much and I could probably hand pick a fistful of what I deem "deserving" modders. At the end of the day there's always some guys that will be disappointed.

In regards to releasing XMLs, in the grand scheme of things 2 or 3 days don't change much anyways, and on top of that they might actually be happy with the fact everyone needs to play vanilla for some time.

But..but...but....

I need the dll's :miserable:

Cheers

But..but...but....

I need the dll's :miserable:

Cheers

So do I... but...

onSelfHealedOther, //Hook Up

onOtherEnteredRange, //Hook Up
onOtherLeftRange, //Hook Up

onSelfItemCrafted, //Hook Up
onSelfItemRepaired, //Hook Up
onSelfItemLooted, //Hook Up
onSelfItemLost, //Hook Up
onSelfItemGained, //Hook Up
onSelfItemSold, //Hook Up
onSelfItemBought, //Hook Up

//onSelfDiscoveredPOI, //Hook Up
//onSelfDiscoveredArea, //Hook Up

//onSelfEnteredPOI, //Hook Up
//onSelfExitedPOI, //Hook Up

//onSelfEnteredArea, //Hook Up
//onSelfExitedArea, //Hook Up

//onQuestStart, //Hook Up
//onQuestLocationReached, //Hook Up
//onQuestLocationLeft, //Hook Up
//onQuestCompleted, //Hook Up
//onQuestFailed, //Hook Up

//onGameBloodmoonStart, //Hook Up
//onGameBloodmoonEnd, //Hook Up
//onGameDayStart, //Hook Up
//onGameNightStart, //Hook Up
//onGameRainStart, //Hook Up
//onGameRainEnd, //Hook Up
//onGameSnowStart, //Hook Up
//onGameSnowEnd, //Hook Up
//onGameFogStart, //Hook Up
//onGameFogEnd, //Hook Up

I would LOVE to look at the XML to see how many of these now work. ;) Also, random question for any dev...

onSelfLootContainer
onSelfOpenLootContainer

Do these now work on servers? I remember I reported it to one of the testers. Triggers fine in SP. Does NOT trigger on dedicated servers (you can test by having them trigger a toolbelt message).

One difference between A17 and A18 is that in A17 finding a higher quality weapon did not immediately make you better, you needed mods as well. In A18 a higher quality weapon has on average better stats (especially damage).

Another difference between A17 and A18 is the slower progression of gamestage, so a luck bonus that was equivalent to getting the loot table of a week from now (A17) might be equivalent to a 2 or 3 weeks bonus (A18).

In effect: Even if LL was balanced or weak in A17 and nobody changed the perk it still might be OP now.

As long as no player falls behind only because he has no luck, everything is fine for me.

/ back to lurking.

Thanks for the long post. Its easy to forget how hard the game can be for a noob, but TFP is experienced and were having issues that felt unfair or unbalanced. Of course veterans will always want more challenge but that should be handled elegantly and not buggy, like old spinning dogs, or stealth wolves, etc. Even after thinning zombies some of the team are still complaining that they are surrounded buy guys in the wild, so like I said its just not ridiculous anymore, I know it was a good performance call and with the better AI the average person will still be yelling at us because they got rekt.

Nice! Mix in a bit of Sevendust, M♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ and Disturbed and this is basically a good chunk of my playlist at work while rockin' through programming throughout the day.

:rockon:

Oh yeah, not sure how they slipped my mind. I guess those bands have select songs I really like, and not full albums I've burnt into my brain for years.

The levelgates in A17 only exist in the intellect branch. But Lucky Looter is in the Perception branch. So it doesn't differ from A18.

If I only put points in Lucky Looter I can get it to maximum with level 12.

That's the way it is. While you seem to have a lot of luck, I have only a little luck. That's why I'm not a fan of it when a game doesn't give you the opportunity to compensate missing luck with effort.

I'm pretty sure 17 had almost everything level gated.

i agree 100% 3 modders id suggest releasing xml to: Red Eagle LXIX- UI | O C -server tools | Prisma501 -cpm.

It only makes to much sense for modders/players such as this to gain access to the xml prior or same time as streamers.

And this is the flaw. Sirillon has the most popular UI mod, so why not him? Prisma charges for full access, so why should he benefit financially? (Correct me if I'm wrong Prisma). OC? What about smeg?

...how would tfp know who is "deserving" and who is not? Slippery slope.

Archived