Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Not asking for anything. I don't expect any changes to be made based on my comments. That said, from what I remember when I was following the game pre-xp, the horde nights also weren't as much of a challenge back then. I think that if you took the current game (or A18) and removed xp, it would be a much more balanced game than it was in earlier alphas, as combat preperation would still take up a considerable amount of your time, preventing it from becoming just a building sim.

EDIT: If there is any real purpose to my comments it's simply to help MM understand why his current approach to hyping the game isn't working for those of us who preferred LBD. There is no point trying to tell us that its more of a survival experience than before, because that's ultimately an empty sentiment. And it's why myself and many others got sick of trying to give feedback and just left not long after A17 was released. We don't want to keep just being told we are "just wrong" despite how many detailed breakdowns we provide of how the gameplay has been affected.

MM and the other Devs would be better served by instead acknowledging how much was actually removed from the game experience but highlighting how well other new features work together. You are never going to convince those of us who liked the deeper system that this is not a survival-lite system. So instead sell us on why we can still enjoy the survival-lite experience with all the other new features that compliment the new direction.

sorry I have no idea what was said as I only read this page lol.

Allow me to clear something up. This is just my opinion so I could be wrong and I'm sure MM or someone at TFP will correct me if I am wrong.

When you give an opinion about the game or feature to Madmole it might seem like he did not listen or he responds shooting down what you said, BUT trust me. Madmole listens and thinks about what is said later on.

I have had an idea or two flat out rejected by Madmole then a few updates later I would see the change made or a feature added that I had suggested.

So remember Madmole hears what you say even if he rejects it there is a good chance he will give it more thought and sometimes ask the opinions of others on TFP team. ;) Anyone who knows MM or works with him knows what I am talking about.

EDIT: What does LBD stand for?

We want a smooth launch, there are still memory leaks after and hour it gets horrible FPS we need to find, saw some zeds popping through doors, plus experimental is for the bugs we can't find, no point in releasing it when we have a bunch of bugs we know about and need fixed, be patient it will be worth the wait.

I understand, just sometime a inner child wakes up with such video.. he he.

And yes I definitely not want memory leaks in my game play. I have a potato PC and it cannot stand a chance if that happens to me :). I am waiting.

sorry I have no idea what was said as I only read this page lol.

Allow me to clear something up. This is just my opinion so I could be wrong and I'm sure MM or someone at TFP will correct me if I am wrong.

When you give an opinion about the game or feature to Madmole it might seem like he did not listen or respond shooting down what you said, BUT trust me. Madmole listens and thinks about what is said later on.

I have had an idea or two flat out rejected by Madmole then a few updates later I would see the change made or a feature added.

So remember Madmole hears what you say even if he rejects it there is a good chance he will give it more thought and sometimes ask the opinions of others on TFP team. ;) Anyone who knows MM or works with him knows what I am talking about.

EDIT: What does LBD stand for?

Oh I am sure at some level it does get through and taken on board, otherwise I wouldn't be bothering right now. I am also aware that a large part of why MM and some others reacted so badly to criticism last year after the A17 launch was due to how much effort went into the update and the fact the entire team was quiet burnt out at the time.

LBD is learn by doing.

Yes please DO NOT RELEASE A18 with a bunch of known bugs, especially ones that effect FPS.

:) In The Fun Pimps I trust though.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I am sure at some level it does get through and taken on board, otherwise I wouldn't be bothering right now. I am also aware that a large part of why MM and some others reacted so badly to criticism last year after the A17 launch was due to how much effort went into the update and the fact the entire team was quiet burnt out at the time.

LBD is learn by doing.

Oh man I prefered LBD. I wish they never took that out but it is what it is. I loved the old leveling system but this one is good and I have not publically spoken on how I feel as I felt it needed a lot more work before throwing out another opinion. so I have been waiting till A18 before I say a word. looks like they might get it right.

After my last mishap, I also always make sure my fingers are going into the right place.

Sure.. It was an 'accident'..

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I would have bought you this -- but I don't have your address, so I snapped a picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28987[/ATTACH]

Hehehe.. Awesome!

You know I don't want you to come to my home address.. Else everyone will find out about us!

Have you tried Roland's no-XP mod for A17?

I would be interested in a LBD mod as a new game mode. Once the game goes gold, I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes on the challenge. I'm thankful that the game supports mods such that so many things can be tweaked to almost anyone's preferences.

Darkness falls has LBD IIRC (don’t ban me!)

Wow, I have a treat for you guys.... I recorded day 77 and it was super intense! Sorry no behemoth spawned, but I promise you some crazy action. I will need to farm 2k rounds for the next horde and have another m60 on my belt :) Uploading now.

Here you go:

Thanks for the video. Was exciting. Got a few chuckles how those spiders got the drop on you and gnawed on your legs several times before you realized it lol.

Vault doors clearly have a problem with Zombies (all kinds) clipping through them....

This is already known to me from A17. For example, every time I clear a bank, the zombies in the vault open the door for me once I knock. They often clip through the door and sometimes one of the zombies is fully pushed through the closed vault door.

We'd have to look into pathing for giant beings, ik for feet, etc there are a number of issues to make solve it.

Please do so! I always play with 2x upscaled zombie bear model (also 4x bigger vulture, both with greatly improved health) and it is one scary experience. Most of the time bear moved fine but sometimes just got stuck where no obstacle was visible in open field, vulture had no issues, just insanely big up close.

Wow, I have a treat for you guys.... I recorded day 77 and it was super intense! Sorry no behemoth spawned, but I promise you some crazy action. I will need to farm 2k rounds for the next horde and have another m60 on my belt :) Uploading now.

Here you go:

Please tell me that the stack size of ammo has not been reduced to 100 bullets per slot. There goes my inventory space.

MM, is the "behemoth" a missprint? Maybe you meant the destroyer? Or should we really wait at Behemoth's 18 Alpha?

I hope it is a jokie or a missprint. I hate the idea of a 3m zombie that destroys my base with a few blows. Why should I build a horde base if it is only a pile of rubble after the horde? Then I can use POIs as temporary base as well and only place a few spikes around them. This is just as effective.

Oh man I prefered LBD. I wish they never took that out but it is what it is. I loved the old leveling system but this one is good and I have not publically spoken on how I feel as I felt it needed a lot more work before throwing out another opinion. so I have been waiting till A18 before I say a word. looks like they might get it right.

I did like LBD too. I am also looking forward to the updated exp system in a18. I do agree though that the level/exp system is more flavor. Though in a17 your crafting is gated in INT.

The game to me is all about looting, building, and then tower defense. Right now I sometimes forget to add my points and might have gained 5-8 levels before I start adding perks.

To be fair, the door collider isn't ON until the door is completely shut, so I think a couple of those were legit, a few got pushed through. Nothing Faatal can't fix and that is why its not release yet, we're still finding little things like that.

That 'push through' problem is also valid for traders.

I've witnessed on two occasions Z's inside a traders (and I ALWAYS ensure I close the trader door on entry and on exit).

The best example was a pack of dogs up against the rear (exterior) wall of the traders. They'd piled 3 high, and some dogs had got through (about 3). They were inside the traders compound, stuck against the front wall (heads poking through) and I was able to club them in the head from outside the traders.

The other case was a snow zombie. He'd been in there a while, and I didn't witness how he got in.

Here you go:

That was great MM :)

A horde night vid was what I was waiting to see. I liked what I saw :)

Check out that video I just shot and tell me. I didn't like how horde night was over so fast if you had 16+ alive so I had gazz add more total counts to the later stages. As you can see it lasted all night :) I'll need to farm more ammo for sure and try to get a better m60.

This is fantastic news! Previously, if we wanted a longer horde, we would have to log off once the initial horde was over and thus summon in a second horde, but it was slightly immersion breaking. Glad to know that the max zombies per horde night has been raised. :D

Here you go:

Loved this iteration of the spider zombie! with that and the vultures you were getting jumped constantly. I would make a shrine to that door...what a gem.

Wow, I have a treat for you guys.... I recorded day 77 and it was super intense!

Here you go:

Thanks for that. It looked like a lot of fun.

Crazy as it sounds, but ammo / brass scarcity has always led me to play with arrows and clubs. I've never used either of those automatic weapons, but I doubt that horde could have been beaten with anything less than automatics.

It was interesting to see your play style changed as the ammo supply shank... you went from belly shots on automatic to head shots on semi auto/burst. Those weapons are awesome for cutting through the Zeds with only 2-3 shots, even radiated wights.

2 questions... why do you have that perilous drop for your own character over the spinning blade trap (I could seem myself falling through it), and was your ammo supply aquired through legit play, or through the console?

Here you go:

That was an absolutely epic showdown! My heart was racing when the zombies busted through those iron bars! I was astonished they didn't bust through the vault door in a matter of a few tens of seconds like they would do in A17. If some tweaking has been done (I do know you've nerfed individual zombie block damage), that's awesome!

I was convinced that "conventional horde bases" were a thing of the past. Either you had a cheesy pathway that exploited their AI and ensured they did no damage to your base, or it was a losing fight. Despite the fact that the zombies breached your base, this video has proven me otherwise. :D

I also noticed that the zombies semi-followed you around, instead of mindlessly attacking one or two blocks of your base. While they were still focusing on specific weakened points of the structure, there definitely seemed to be some minor differences in AI. (Either that, or I'm imagining things / I'm mistaken.)

Here you go:

That video sucked lol. Sorry I had to, everyone is like hey thank you thats such a great video lmao. It honestly sucked ass but I'm assuming its just to show off A18 during horde night so it did its job I guess. Personally I never watch people play video games, besides Neebs, so maybe I just cannot see the joy in watching a video of someone playing a game...either way. Vid sucked and thought I'll be the one to say it, gotta keep you grounded brotha should all this praise go to your head. (laughing) Joking ;)

Or am I.......

Edit: Thanks for taking time out you night and recording that for those who liked it.

*shovels more coal in the hypetrain* this baby is ready to go......my arms are hurting from having to shovel in all this coal *tears*

That video sucked lol. Sorry I had to, everyone is like hey thank you thats such a great video lmao. It honestly sucked ass but I'm assuming its just to show off A18 during horde night so it did its job I guess. Personally I never watch people play video games, besides Neebs, so maybe I just cannot see the joy in watching a video of someone playing a game...either way. Vid sucked and thought I'll be the one to say it, gotta keep you grounded brotha should all this praise go to your head. (laughing) Joking ;)

Or am I.......

Edit: Thanks for taking time out you night and recording that for those who liked it.

The only thing that "sucked" about it was the amount of ammo used. I hope madmole has several good mines located! Lol

Archived