Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

At the end of the day form follows function. The current ! works. However you have to ask yourself, does this fit the tone of the game, and I'd say no it doesn't. Most likely we'll change it to something, but its not going to make the game any more fun or not, but yeah we don't want to something jarring to look at. Its an effective placeholder, but you'll need to look at it for another alpha.

Even flags aren't the best.

For barely any extra code, I'd opt in for an NPC around the area saying "that house you're looking for is 3 houses down on the left. Look for the purple car out front". Giving the NPC more use, especially at such a low cost of code or time is the best immersion and use for them, otherwise you put them in for only a few small features, spending all that time on them, for very little use or reward from them.

Coding the purple car is optional, but again, that stands out if there are very few purple cars in the game.

Alternatively, use some sleuthing skills.

Trader: We know Madmole had the package last. He lives in a three-storey house at the edge of town, he has a pimp purple limousine, he walks to the gym every day.

Conclusion: He lives close to a gym at the edge of town. The limo would be too obvious, but had to make the pun at MM. :tongue-new:

I'm not excited about the video either. For me it's like I don't want to fight a horde. I want to fight a horde with a strategy, not just firepower.

My base is reinforced concrete with 2 deep spike trench by the wall, multiple oh ♥♥♥♥ rooms and choke points. I'd have turrets but I can't find any SMG parts to craft them.

But its up to you, I'm good with guns, so that is my thing, you can build more advanced bases, I never had a need. Depends if you hate grinding for ammo and personal preference. This base is not optimal since its got a bunch of fancy pretty stuff that is non functional. I might build a new multi horde tower like I used in previous alphas (a11 era) or wait til next game and see how it holds up, now that its actually needed.

This ought to make the "horde every night" type series even more difficult. look forward to it.

Hello Capp...the man the legend, that stole my youtube channel idea grrrr :( lol joking, sup buddy glad to see you again.

Once A18 drops I'll be creating the new 7D2D channel so you will have a little competition my friend ;):)

Not a good idea. It needs to be a unique marker so that players can't troll other players with "fake markers".

A faction flag, or corpse of the guy who hid the gear and got rekt would be better. But enough of this talk, we have a18 to get out and this is a 19-20 topic.

Just giving you some ideas so that the game can start heading in those directions from now (and not after a few other attempts), if you like them. After all, best to have the majority of NPC abilities (for example) on the planning table before starting them as I know editing them later is much harder.

ok so i never comment here but my OCD is stronger so....

MM i just saw the horde vid day 77 i think and at minute 1.15 my ocd kicked in.

gets grenade.... looking good, actually the pin kind of shakes a bit im liking it

removes the pin.... animation looking sharp

throws grenade..... ffs, ocd goes like a car alarm on the back of my brain...

"THE PIN IS BACK ON IT... YOU JUST REMOVED IT.... WHY THE F... IS IT BACK THERE... WTH?!!!!!!"

(thats just my ocd screaming at me)

not really trying to criticize you guys, i love the work THE FUN... PINS are doing and the game. just letting you know becouse i know its a small detail that "almost" anyone could missed and most people wouldnt even care. but my brain cant let it go.

modders could always fix it though if that ship has sailed....

(insert sarcasm gif here)

so hope that helps somehow, lol.

im going back to my ocd cave.

#pingate

been there done that, "RNG is a bitch and game hates me"... but it just seems little cheezy to have everything available at the traders... and placing an order like you say is just that... unless the trader actually says "you arent worthy enough yet to own one" :)

i think you might find a18 quest rewards and looting to be a little more fun and worth it.

( :( i am a slow typer and Joel is just to damn fast at it)

I like this idea but with a twist.

#1. Just make it hugely expensive and upfront payment (or half now/half on delivery) so you can determine it's worth to you

#2. Time on delivery is uncertain, so you might make payment but delivery is delayed

#3. The guy who you paid off (not necessarily the trader, as he is a middle-man) is a crook and makes an item that breaks on first use. Or if it's food you're after, it's poisoned. A gun that can backfire (if that's the right word?)...etc

LMFAO.

We really need to start a campaign about all this and make sure it gets out of control of course. #pingate

What's funny is that it is a super easy fix. Just point the drop mesh to a version without the pin.

I've no doubt once Joel notices it, HIS ocd will kick in and it will be fixed.

people dont read and i did the smurf text so it can be seen :(

but thank you zombie for noticing. :)

That's not a problem, the problem is most of us have already read the post and will not go back and read your edit... We simply won't notice it's there.

That, and Smurf Blue is really hard to see on a mobile device.

There's no way I'm giving up my stealth / melee playstyle. Using firearms is too undemanding for me. It requires nothing except that you have enough ammunition. Stealth requires caution, patience and strategic thinking. Besides, these noisemakers are just too loud for me.

Now that there are more specific classes I feel its worth a go at each type, like once you feel bored with the agility build (stealth) you can try something else. Although stealth has SMG and Magnums with AP rounds are no joke.

My intention was not to make you seem like a fool, I was merely spreading my infinite wisdom. :) (I joke, I joke. But thank you nonetheless. :))

Balance is key. Another good change was the nerf of gas and oil shale, imo.

That was about a 4 stage nerf to get it right. IT was SO OP.

Good luck with that strategy lol.

Edit: At least after GS 100 or so I wouldn't try it.

You'd be surprised how effective that is.

I recently watched a stream where some players used a apartment building as a temporary horde base. Each of these players had at least a gamestage of 200. They just knocked the floor out of the first and second floors and replaced it with iron bars. They then placed spikes on the bottom floor.

The building was badly damaged, but it wasn't supposed to last more than a horde.

I know what you mean.

If I want to spend fifteen minutes shooting zombies I'll play L4D2.

I play 7DTD for the exploring, scavenging, survival, and looting; not to spend long periods shooting zombies and then longer periods mining for resources in time for the next prolonged zombie shooting session. Some people enjoy that, but to me it's just a chore.

But that's fine. I simply turn off horde nights and get to play the game the way I enjoy - and from what I've seen so far A18 will be great for my playstyle as well as being great for the play style shown in the video.

You can just rent a room at a trader for the horde night if you want, or turn them off. I like the tower defense aspect now that challenging hordes have returned.

edit, in a19 probably.

Yes... With the floor being made out of bedrock, to minimize the damage from the demolisher... The walls would be multiple blocks thick, and an entire row that would circumference the pit would be lined with dart traps, set many blocks deep into the wall with several layers of arrow slits in front of them.

Too bad that zombies no longer fall down pit designs, as far as I know.

I think they will if its the only way to get there.

That was about a 4 stage nerf to get it right. IT was SO OP.

Yeah, mining for ten minutes and getting the equivalent of 40,000 gas... And being more concerned about the output slot on your chemistry station overloading rather than someday running low (enough) on fuel... Yeah, it was in dire need of a re-balance. LOL

Well, the zombie AI looked drastically different in MM's last video. I would say more "zombie-like" for lack of better words. Not sure if Demolition guy is in A18 and for me that would be a good thing as the concept seemed way over-the-top. Obviously it's a copy of Fallout's super mutant with the mini-nuke.

If the Demolition Zombie had come in at Day-77, Madmole's video would have been... short. Also his stations and most of his storage would have been destroyed.

I doubt it, I don't think he's god tier or anything, If you shoot his sweet spot he blows up, end of him. His fists if left unattended are what do mass damage, and AFAIK he gets buffed from minions like the rest of them. So I'm glad one didn't come to the back of my base and destroy my courtyard or knock my back door down while I was fighting zeds on the front yard.

I did hear that at some point more variation in zombie behavior would be added. (ie more zombies entering "low intelligence"/destroy anything mode.) I am unsure if he meant this will come in A18, A19, etc. But I did notice that the zombies were targeting several weakened spots in his base, and not just the one spot, which is brilliant. Also, he managed to semi-drag some around, which is an improvement (over them being determined to destroy x block), imo.

That's why I keep on telling people that the pathway designs that exploit their AI are possibly about to become obsolete. You couldn't afford to look over your shoulder all the time, looking for a possible demolisher that spawned, and if it did end up on one's path design, that "base" would go kaboom.

Again his explosion is not lethal to structures, it kills zombies/players, and his fists are what wreck buildings.

Archived