Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

The only thing that "sucked" about it was the amount of ammo used. I hope madmole has several good mines located! Lol

I'll be honest i watched the first 3 minutes then just jumped around in the vid for another 2 before closing it.

I do like the fact he builds a lot like me. Not seen to many players in game that actually use bars as a platform...maybe people do now i dunno lol.

I do not use ammo for guns all that much but I never had issues with ammo. not sure why everyone does..

Wow, I have a treat for you guys.... I recorded day 77 and it was super intense! Sorry no behemoth spawned, but I promise you some crazy action. I will need to farm 2k rounds for the next horde and have another m60 on my belt :) Uploading now.

Here you go:

That's why you need a FOV slider - if you aren't able to see a spider Z beating at your feet it's kind of messed up...

I'll be honest i watched the first 3 minutes then just jumped around in the vid for another 2 before closing it.

I do like the fact he builds a lot like me. Not seen to many players in game that actually use bars as a platform...maybe people do now i dunno lol.

I do not use ammo for guns all that much but I never had issues with ammo. not sure why everyone does..

People have different playstyles, so some use more ammo than others.

I'm honestly relieved that pathing bases/mazes/etc. that exploit their AI are not the end-all-be-all. ^^

The only thing that "sucked" about it was the amount of ammo used. I hope madmole has several good mines located! Lol

I'm not excited about the video either. For me it's like I don't want to fight a horde. I want to fight a horde with a strategy, not just firepower.

People have different playstyles, so some use more ammo than others.

I'm honestly relieved that pathing bases/mazes/etc. that exploit their AI are not the end-all-be-all. ^^

So true, thats exatly why i do not understand lol. I do stealth and almost no guns so I always have enough ammo. I have friends that prefer gun and run style and they always have enough ammo. I have not been able to figure out why some players just bitch and complain about there not being enough ammo.

I lean towards lazy players that just want everything handed to them instead of putting in the work to make that ammo. Who knows though, I could care less (laughing). Hopefully this "lack of ammo", which I doubt exists, is fixed in A18.

So true, thats exatly why i do not understand lol. I do stealth and almost no guns so I always have enough ammo. I have friends that prefer gun and run style and they always have enough ammo. I have not been able to figure out why some players just bitch and complain about there not being enough ammo.

I lean towards lazy players that just want everything handed to them instead of putting in the work to make that ammo. Who knows though, I could care less (laughing). Hopefully this "lack of ammo", which I doubt exists, is fixed in A18.

Lack of ammo wasn't the problem, the lack of brass was. ;)

I wouldn't go that far for all of them. Some players just use a boat load of ammo, and their perception is that ammo is somewhat scarce in the world. As the saying goes, perception is reality. (Or to be more accurate, an individual's perception is how they think reality works.)

Oh I know all about the bitching and complaining by players regarding brass. I have always been outspoken about brass and how to get it. Again this falls on players not knowing every single way to get brass. I have never once had an issue with brass and after teaching my friends where to collect brass, they never ever once had another issue with lack of brass. This is an opinion I strongly stand by and not really excited that TFP adjusted brass for A18 for all those players that want the game watered down.

Oh I know all about the bitching and complaining by players regarding brass. I have always been outspoken about brass and how to get it. Again this falls on players not knowing every single way to get brass. I have never once had an issue with brass and after teaching my friends where to collect brass, they never ever once had another issue with lack of brass. This is an opinion I strongly stand by and not really excited that TFP adjusted brass for A18 for all those players. I'm no dev though so I'm sure they made that decision bases upon ♥♥♥♥ we cannot see.

Whatever dude. Hey, at least many of the methods we can use to get more brass, is locked behind books, which in turn are locked behind RNG. Don't like it, don't read the books.

I personally like variety. While stealth will always be the most efficient route to go, I'd rather not look at my gun's chamber and carefully decide if I should fire one bullet or a dozen, or leave the gun back at home. Sure, you may not have a problem with brass - I rarely did - but for larger servers outside of SP, it must have been an issue.

Please tell me that the stack size of ammo has not been reduced to 100 bullets per slot. There goes my inventory space.

actually 100 slot is good, as they have now compact packaging that can stack (4+ in video) means 400+ bullet, if that compact pack stack 10 it means 1000 of bullet in one space, which is increase.. it is like Gas Can and Gas Barrel thing now.

- - - Updated - - -

He was using lot of ammo as he is doing blind shooting at time. If you make a zig saw base like in A17, your amount of bullet will reduce. It was his play style, I guess it is great to have that game style, I never try it. but will surely do it when I get chance.

Yeah, Hell at least now brass will be a lot more abundant which hopefully will get players to stop crying about "lack of brass".

Would be weird if a wrench is not needed lol.

I'm personally fine when it comes to brass. Yes, I can get in a pinch if I don't have enough ammo for the approaching horde night, and with most faucets being made of iron now, and the majority of lights not giving brass now (few did before anyway), the addition of one more source of brass (from air conditioners) is a welcome addition imo. Finding more brass in loot (via a book) or getting brass doorknobs from doors (via a book) are slightly "excessive" imo, but again, they're locked behind RNG. While I personally would not like zinc and copper to be added to the game to make brass with (don't worry, that will never happen lol), a couple more sources of brass are a welcome feature in my eyes, even if they are not guaranteed.

Besides, different playstyles exist. Some people like going gung-ho, and for them, the most brass, the better. While using your gun like madmole did isn't recommended, it shouldn't be locked out imo. It should be optional.

It was his play style, I guess it is great to have that game style, I never try it. but will surely do it when I get chance.

I'll be changing up my stealth playstyle to run and gun now that we will have that beautiful M60 :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm personally fine when it comes to brass. Yes, I can get in a pinch if I don't have enough ammo for the approaching horde night, and with most faucets being made of iron now, and the majority of lights not giving brass now (few did before anyway), the addition of one more source of brass (from air conditioners) is a welcome addition imo. Finding more brass in loot (via a book) or getting brass doorknobs from doors (via a book) are slightly "excessive" imo, but again, they're locked behind RNG. While I personally would not like zinc and copper to be added to the game to make brass with (don't worry, that will never happen lol), a couple more sources of brass are a welcome feature in my eyes, even if they are not guaranteed.

Besides, different playstyles exist. Some people like going gung-ho, and for them, the most brass, the better. While using your gun like madmole did isn't recommended, it shouldn't be locked out imo. It should be optional.

Very interesting I did not know that most faucets/lights where nerfed for brass in A17. That would indeed make brass rare. shiit, alright I might just have to change my opinion regarding brass then.

I'll be changing up my stealth playstyle to run and gun now that we will have that beautiful M60 :)

- - - Updated - - -

Very interesting I did not know that most faucets/lights where nerfed for brass in A17. That would indeed make brass rare. shiit, alright I might just have to change my opinion regarding brass then.

Yeah, for example, in the entirety of Dishong Tower, only 2 brass faucets exist; the rest are iron. :p In addition, only one type of light (maybe 2) give you brass, but they only exist in a few POI's, and even then, they only give you 10-15 brass. :p Hence the clamoring for new sources of brass. (Besides, brass doorknobs coming from doors did exist in previous alphas, but this feature was removed prior to A15.)

I make a similar stance with pathway designs. Yes, they are more intuitive, interesting, and complicated than any tower, wall, or castle design ever will be, but they are also the easiest, the cheesiest, and most exploitative designs out there. There's nothing wrong with them, but I disagree with those who state that they should be the end-all-be-all. Variety. If you want to build a castle, go for it. Yes, you'll have to work for it, you may make mistakes, you may have to deal with a breach, but that breeds experimentation, innovation, and another source of fun / another challenge.

There's no way I'm giving up my stealth / melee playstyle. Using firearms is too undemanding for me. It requires nothing except that you have enough ammunition. Stealth requires caution, patience and strategic thinking. Besides, these noisemakers are just too loud for me.

Yeah, for example, in the entirety of Dishong Tower, only 2 brass faucets exist; the rest are iron. :p In addition, only one type of light (maybe 2) give you brass, but they only exist in a few POI's, and even then, they only give you 10-15 brass. :p Hence the clamoring for new sources of brass. (Besides, brass doorknobs coming from doors did exist in previous alphas, but this feature was removed prior to A15.)

I make a similar stance with pathway designs. Yes, they are more intuitive, interesting, and complicated than any tower, wall, or castle design ever will be, but they are also the easiest, the cheesiest, and most exploitative designs out there. There's nothing wrong with them, but I disagree with those who state that they should be the end-all-be-all. Variety. If you want to build a castle, go for it. Yes, you'll have to work for it, you may make mistakes, you may have to deal with a breach, but that breeds experimentation, innovation, and another source of fun / another challenge.

I would give you a +1 rep but I cannot as i think you were the last i gave to so I guess I gotta spread it around more before the site allows me.

You made me and my opinion about brass look foolish, thank you :). Not many are capable of actually having a decent convo and make me look like a fool. Since i cannot give you rep, I applaud you good sir!

There's no way I'm giving up my stealth / melee playstyle. Using firearms is too undemanding for me. It requires nothing except that you have enough ammunition. Stealth requires caution, patience and strategic thinking. Besides, these noisemakers are just too loud for me.

Yeah I agree, stealth is way more challenging. I know I'll get bored of running and gunning but gotta change up playstyle once in a while.

I would give you a +1 rep but I cannot as i think you were the last i gave to so I guess I gotta spread it around more before the site allows me.

You made me and my opinion about brass look foolish, thank you :). Not many are capable of actually having a decent convo and make me look like a fool. Since i cannot give you rep, I applaud you good sir!

My intention was not to make you seem like a fool, I was merely spreading my infinite wisdom. :) (I joke, I joke. But thank you nonetheless. :))

Balance is key. Another good change was the nerf of gas and oil shale, imo.

I'm not excited about the video either. For me it's like I don't want to fight a horde. I want to fight a horde with a strategy, not just firepower.

I know what you mean.

If I want to spend fifteen minutes shooting zombies I'll play L4D2.

I play 7DTD for the exploring, scavenging, survival, and looting; not to spend long periods shooting zombies and then longer periods mining for resources in time for the next prolonged zombie shooting session. Some people enjoy that, but to me it's just a chore.

But that's fine. I simply turn off horde nights and get to play the game the way I enjoy - and from what I've seen so far A18 will be great for my playstyle as well as being great for the play style shown in the video.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not good at stealth, but that is good style. I prefer tower defence to a point where it doesn't take my shooting away. I use very less traps for that matter. But yes I never do that blind shootout before because I never have enough bullets for such style. They said bullets are not in a18 so maybe we can do that then.

Kage made a nice, quick zombie defense to protect himself while digging at a mine.

So, its basically a door at one end and a wall with a long horizontal slit on the side that allows for melee and some point blank shooting while the zombies are smacking the door.

This could be extended for an interesting horde base.

Kage made a nice, quick zombie defense to protect himself while digging at a mine.

So, its basically a door at one end and a wall with a long horizontal slit on the side that allows for melee and some point blank shooting while the zombies are smacking the door.

This could be extended for an interesting horde base.

Yes... With the floor being made out of bedrock, to minimize the damage from the demolisher... The walls would be multiple blocks thick, and an entire row that would circumference the pit would be lined with dart traps, set many blocks deep into the wall with several layers of arrow slits in front of them.

Too bad that zombies no longer fall down pit designs, as far as I know.

Yes... With the floor being made out of bedrock, to minimize the damage from the demolisher... The walls would be multiple blocks thick, and an entire row that would circumference the pit would be lined with dart traps, set many blocks deep into the wall with several layers of arrow slits in front of them.

Too bad that zombies no longer fall down pit designs, as far as I know.

Well, the zombie AI looked drastically different in MM's last video. I would say more "zombie-like" for lack of better words. Not sure if Demolition guy is in A18 and for me that would be a good thing as the concept seemed way over-the-top. Obviously it's a copy of Fallout's super mutant with the mini-nuke.

If the Demolition Zombie had come in at Day-77, Madmole's video would have been... short. Also his stations and most of his storage would have been destroyed.

Well, the zombie AI looked drastically different in MM's last video. I would say more "zombie-like" for lack of better words. Not sure if Demolition guy is in A18 and for me that would be a good thing as the concept seemed way over-the-top. Obviously it's a copy of Fallout's super mutant with the mini-nuke.

If the Demolition Zombie had come in at Day-77, Madmole's video would have been... short. Also his stations and most of his storage would have been destroyed.

I did hear that at some point more variation in zombie behavior would be added. (ie more zombies entering "low intelligence"/destroy anything mode.) I am unsure if he meant this will come in A18, A19, etc. But I did notice that the zombies were targeting several weakened spots in his base, and not just the one spot, which is brilliant. Also, he managed to semi-drag some around, which is an improvement (over them being determined to destroy x block), imo.

That's why I keep on telling people that the pathway designs that exploit their AI are possibly about to become obsolete. You couldn't afford to look over your shoulder all the time, looking for a possible demolisher that spawned, and if it did end up on one's path design, that "base" would go kaboom.

Archived