Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Roland, for the love of God, please bring in the ban hammer. This fps 'rant' is getting out of hand.

Dead horse is dead, ain't no amount of flogging gonna get it up any faster.

As Jax said a few posts ago, some people don't know the Experimental-to-Stable process, so they get nervous and freak the hell out. We need to be patient with them.

Nevertheless, some people need to learn some manners. Lol :p

Edit: If Joel can be patient with them, we can too lol.

Boars are challenging on day 1, but I found an iron sledgehammer and power attacked one point blank and took his head clean off. Might have been a lucky decapitation though.

Food poisoning is fine, it rarely happens and just puts a small dent in your supply. It is random and you could have been extremely unlucky. Eat canned foods, or take vitamins to prevent it all in the first place, or buy iron gut perk.

I actually love the new farming and food poisoning. Makes both something to worry/think about. Higher tier foods are sought after and each seed you find is special. I found two golden rod seeds and I was happy as a clam. It's not food spoilage but it's still a food sink so that's pretty good.

@MM

You didn't respond to my long feedback so ill try to keep it shorter this time. :)

- The digging quest: insta spawn of zeds out of nowhere when picking up the stash.

always happens the same way, predictable and immersion breaking. will u consider removing that spawn entirly, or having some random 0-#number of sleeping zeds be buried next to the stash that rise if u dig them up while looking for the stash, or having the zombies already be in the area when u reach it so u need to clear it before u start digging?

- Resource Nodes: resource nodes on the surface are literally everywhere.

nodes can be abundant underground where its not visible and u have to dig search for it, that`s great. but for exploration`s sake, i would like finding a new surface ore to feel special. can we make them more rare with higher harvest for balance? (at least in SP?)

Original post:

I really enjoy a18 so far!

a few observations:

- New improved infection:

Im playing Agility. saw a single zed, was thinking "ill practice some melee, save few arrows" , got close and boop him on the head with a club. he raged, and punched me in the face. i killed him with my trusty bow thinking that was the end of it. but now a damn vulture smelled my bloody face and gave me zombie AIDS. lol. I rushed to the trader and sold everything of value i had to buy honey in time before it get to a point i can no longer easily cure. that was a great experience.

- The digging quest:

its fun, not too far on foot, and the rewards are worth the effort.

the only down side for me is the insta spawning of zeds out of no where when i pick up the stash.

it always happens the same way, and is immersion breaking.

i would rather see a random 0-#number of sleeping zeds be buried with the stash and then rise if u dig them up like the zombies in graves we know and love, or whatever other method, just as long as it is not watching zed spawn from thin air in the most predictable way possible. :)

- Resource Nodes:

I love the way those each have it`s unique look and is identifiable from afar. great job.

I feel like there are too many resource nodes on the surface. playing pregen02, i spawned in the desert and was trying getting used to placing a marker on my map where i find them for later. was excited seeing them at first but once you realize they are so abundant they become less special. i see them literally everywhere in groups of 2-3 even, so after 10 min i stopped adding them to my already cluttered map, and the exploration element was gone.

it might be fine for MP but for just 1 dude it is way too much it seems. xD

even if value-wise it is balanced for single player, i rather have a reason to explore and find them.

so i prefer few rare nodes in each biome with 100K harvest, rather than having 100s of nodes everywhere with 1K harvest each. nodes can be abundant underground where its not visible and u have to dig search for it, thats great. but i want finding a new surface ore to feel special, at least in SP.

We're experimenting with full swings, but it might be OP af with glancing blows allowing you to bowl over 3+ guys with a sloppy attack.

Leave the damage the same on glancing blows and just add ragdoll to them. Heavy weapons should at least be able to knock them over, even if it doesn't hurt.

@ the Dev Team.

At over 4k Hours, since the early early alphas. This is the Best this game has Ever Felt.

It seems like this was a Quality of Life, Fun and Balance Patch.

I'm the guy who plays on Insane and doesn't die. I never even cheese the Ai either.

Now in 18, the game is Fun in all the category's, from the simple enrage the Zeds get when you shoot them, making you think about every Unnecessary kill, to things like Auto Zooming out of Scope when you try to sprint away. Looting is Now Useful and fun again. Multiple options to Spec out your character depending on what early loot you get.

food is relevant again, no more massive stockpiles making it a useless mechanic. Canned food is Useful again

Gas is relevant again, no more mine one night and never have to worry again.

Even Feathers are now relevant, in the past you'd be swimming in them to the point where you never had to worry about it at all.

Removing the need to craft 50 different shapes of blocks to build... great quality of life improvement.

all the little things and aspects of the game that were intended to add up to a unique experience were trivial in the past, and quickly pointless to even exist.

But now they are useful and interesting and combining to a overall unique survival experience. where you have numerous options on how you want to approach it.

Keep on going the direction you are going. i always felt this was a game made by y'all reading my mind of what i want.

Thanks and good luck, cant wait to see what the future holds in store for us.

Awesome post. Massive agreement from me.

Why do Devs and forum mods keep calling our rigs potatoes? ...

- - - Updated - - -

#Proudofmypotato

#Potatoesarenottheproblem

I wouldn't take any offense to it, its just slang and easier to say than "a computer with some or all low end hardware". We did optmize the ♥♥♥♥ out of it, but one little thing is killing it, I predict that most users will experience better fps than ever once we solve it.

Also, it's a call out to Portal2 where the Big bad evil AI, GLaDOS, is overthrown and installed... literally.... into a potato.

After a fair few hours since release I been listening to the random music whilst playing.

Initially its neat but I am finding that it kind of has only one tempo and isn't as random as I hoped. I know you will build upon it and I am sure this is the start of something funky.

I hope we can mod this in the future. I want to put my own music or other peoples in. To be honest the drums/percussion takes away from the ambiance. Just have the strings.

Roland, for the love of God, please bring in the ban hammer. This fps 'rant' is getting out of hand.

As Jax said a few posts ago, some people don't know the Experimental-to-Stable process, so they get nervous and freak the hell out. We need to be patient with them.

Nevertheless, some people need to learn some manners. Lol :p

Edit: If Joel can be patient with them, we can too lol.

I am with Tetrameth, and not just on the FPS ranting. Should include those being super disrespectful and massive multiple posts that are not on topic. (Same for the bug reporting forum as well.)

And, I can try to be like Madmole, although I have not received any 'investment income' to offset my 'respect' 'filter'.

hey odetta, i just tested in our current test build and spike do not give xp... as joel some what said.. its the electric traps if you spec into the prks to give the small percentage of xp to you.

hope this helps :)

I'd be fine if mines worked the same way, perk into demo and you get a percentage of exp when they kill something. Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it.

I am with Tetrameth, and not just on the FPS ranting. Should include those being super disrespectful and massive multiple posts that are not on topic. (Same for the bug reporting forum as well.)

And, I can try to be like Madmole, although I have not received any 'investment income' to offset my 'respect' 'filter'.

Lol, I try to be empathetic with those who don't understand some things, either by age, ignorance or both.

But I agree that some ***holes need to be banned. Roland will decide.

Melee seems to be horrible.

Sledge seems to have a half of a block range and its impossible to hit a zombie when its going up the stairs if you are above it, power attacks for whatever reason miss 3 out of 5 times, extended Zs range is good, but melee just feels so bad now, the glancing blows give no feedback and don't seem to work at all.

I've also suddenly got FPS drops from stable 60 to ~20 out of nowhere.

can confirm

using power attacks with the sledge feels like trying 2 poke a fly with a cue

And the fact that you guys didnt encounter it is exactly why i originally said you want to test on more systems (not low end systems, since you're more likely to be forgiven for that).

That's exactly what TFP is doing by releasing an experimental version of A18 before releasing it to the general public. Lots of different hardware specs are now helping with the TESTING of the game before it's released. A18 HAS NOT YET BEEN RELEASED.

That's exactly what TFP is doing by releasing an experimental version of A18 before releasing it to the general public. Lots of different hardware specs are now helping with the TESTING of the game before it's released. A18 HAS NOT YET BEEN RELEASED.

Yeah, i wish more people more understand that. Unfortunately that's out of our control. And, like i said before, that's not a realistic expectation to have.

hello Madmole, good job with this alpha, testing the especialization of explosives i have a problem,the unique explosive with block damage is a dynamite but the cardbrige of dynamite what can your place has been eliminated, Now only you can throw dnamite , if you want crash a wall

the result is that you break the floor with the wall. please return the cardbrige of dynamite placeable.

1.png

2.png

Yeah ban people for complaining, also ban tetra for complaining about people complaining.

For those who don't understand:

Experimental release it's about giving (those who are interested in bug-spotting and testing) a chance to try out the new alpha 18, if you're trying it you should be patient since it's still in development and NOT YET OUT, you should give useful information, feedback and bug reports to TFP so they can do their best to fix them before A18 stable is released. Even then, they can do new builds to fix those bugs or performance issues that are not yet discovered. Per example A17.4 played greatly better than A17exp in every aspect.

After reading all this, looks like what they understand as a MF and what we think is a MF is WAYYYY off......

If you change you graphics settings back and forth you eventually at all textures to be black with black shadows (different hue black shadows)...

Yes FPS is annoying to complain about, but when the Hype train is driven by someone who says performance is a HUGE increase the whole time its being driven, and then when it finally stops to pick up the general public and not just the VIP, well then the train goes slower, people notice that the tables in the dining cart were really never that clean, and the food is abysmal.

Point being: Hype train should of never left the station without a proper inspection

For those who don't understand:

Experimental release it's about giving (those who are interested in bug-spotting and testing) a chance to try out the new alpha 18, if you're trying it you should be patient since it's still in development and NOT YET OUT, you should give useful information, feedback and bug reports to TFP so they can do their best to fix them before A18 stable is released. Even then, they can do new builds to fix those bugs or performance issues that are not yet discovered. Per example A17.4 played greatly better than A17exp in every aspect.

Haha, you're preaching to the choir here mate. Go post that on Reddit and the Steam forums. Maybe you'll get somewhere there :)

hello Madmole, good job with this alpha, testing the especialization of explosives i have a problem,the unique explosive with block damage is a dynamite but the cardbrige of dynamite what can your place has been eliminated, Now only you can throw dnamite , if you want crash a wall

the result is that you break the floor with the wall. please return the cardbrige of dynamite placeable.[/Quote]

[snipped for space]

Guess what I just came face to face with. :p This is kinda creepy. :p

kQPNErA.jpg

Archived