Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Missing the point entirely, I did not say you need a good PC to run the game, I pointed out that the Devs blaming the lag on potato PC's is ridiculous. People with better pc's then you are lagging so please go somewhere else with your nonsense and learn how to read.

We're not blaming anything, obviously its the software so if you can stop wasting posts with politics and keep the thread light until we solve the issue I'd appreciate it. Our guys are working hard trying to find solutions but clogging this thread up with these kinds of posts is not helpful.

All I meant was we're going to be testing on some minimum spec systems from now on to make sure everything runs as expected on minimum supported hardware. Its really weird you are getting poor fps with a card that nice, that is the same card I use and I get 30 fps running 4k, 50-60fps running 1920.

Ok, it looks like you've forgotten my previous posts, which is understandable, there's lot of people posting now.

The whole point from this situation here, is if you guys were testing less on lower end hardware, and this problem slips by, and lower spec machines have problems, very few people would be batting an eye.

If however, some top end machines do suddenly see massive performance problems (which is not due to configuration, speaking for my friends RTX2080 here) that *is* something you will be judged for by the gaming community. (Sure a bunch of the problems will be due to misconfiguration or sheer user ignorance, but a lot of them won't be)

So, test more on higher end machines is the takeaway here, IMHO. :)

not making fun but here is my thinking.... an open book can be read but a closed book needs to be opened first. :)

Sure, but there are other possible interpretations and nobody can know which is the right one from just looking at that icon. The green check mark is recognizable from the perk menue. Using the same icon for the same meaning (i.e. "learned this") in every case makes it just much easier to grok.

Traps, spikes and all turrets give exp. Are those entities? Junk turret for sure but the others? It just seems inconsistent and a demo guy is gimped. Maybe I need to make a video showing a good use case for mines.

hey odetta, i just tested in our current test build and spike do not give xp... as joel some what said.. its the electric traps if you spec into the prks to give the small percentage of xp to you.

hope this helps :)

Traps, spikes and all turrets give exp. Are those entities? Junk turret for sure but the others? It just seems inconsistent and a demo guy is gimped. Maybe I need to make a video showing a good use case for mines.

Spikes do not give XP. The only things that give xp are electrical powered traps and the junk turret.

Come on man, those types of responses will make you lose ALL fscking respect from me Joel.

If an RTX2080 card gets 20 FPS in 1080p, the issue is with your ♥♥♥♥ing game!

Edit: If it's a joke, it's in very poor taste. Stick to game design, and when it comes to graphics performance, let the grown ups talk.

That sort of remake demonstrates you are not a grown up.

I have a 2080 (not TI) and everything is maxed except reflections and I get 35-70 fps so maybe its you.

Lol It was a find, I'll tell you that.

Aaaand I just bought the Gyrocopter Chassis and Gyrocopter Accessories schematics from the trader. :)

Damn that is some luck. I found a gyro acc schematic and a crucible schematic in the same tier 1 house :) Super lucky the only two book cases in the entire house were stacked.

Madmole,

While I haven’t be here nearly as long as some other people (only since A15), you’ve really grown as a person over the past couple years and I commend you for it.

I agree :0 THe old mole would've blasted me for me previous comment :D

Is a hotfix possibly going to come out soon to fix this FPS issue? If so, do you have an estimated date for it?

Today, tomorrow or Friday I would expect. Probably tomorrow at the soonest I doubt QA will has time to cook something not even coded yet and smoke test it.

Sure, but there are other possible interpretations and nobody can know which is the right one from just looking at that icon. The green check mark is recognizable from the perk menue. Using the same icon for the same meaning (i.e. "learned this") in every case makes it just much easier to grok.

and then there will be some (dont say it wouldnt) but there will be some who will want to know if green means i need to go and find the book and red means stop. i know... its is a battle that will never be 100% for everyone. and just BSing with you. smile :)

That sort of remake demonstrates you are not a grown up.

I have a 2080 (not TI) and everything is maxed except reflections and I get 35-70 fps so maybe its you.

Maybe get a bigger sample size and you'll see there's a real issue here which can not be attributed to user error/misconfiguration. :)

Btw, it's not my RTX2080. Go read the past 50pages and look at my posts about performance and benchmarks i posted using my own RX480. That analysis is sound.

Edit: also, you're getting 35-70 fps on a 2080? What's your setup like? You must be running 4k? Otherwise that seems very low to me.

Ok, it looks like you've forgotten my previous posts, which is understandable, there's lot of people posting now.

The whole point from this situation here, is if you guys were testing less on lower end hardware, and this problem slips by, and lower spec machines have problems, very few people would be batting an eye.

If however, some top end machines do suddenly see massive performance problems (which is not due to configuration, speaking for my friends RTX2080 here) that *is* something you will be judged for by the gaming community. (Sure a bunch of the problems will be due to misconfiguration or sheer user ignorance, but a lot of them won't be)

So, test more on higher end machines is the takeaway here, IMHO. :)

We have, and none of us have encountered any problems. The game runs great for us. Your situation is unfortunate. Have you tried disabling anistropic filtering? Some people have had some success with that.

Damn that is some luck. I found a gyro acc schematic and a crucible schematic in the same tier 1 house :) Super lucky the only two book cases in the entire house were stacked.

You bet. The trader also had The Automatic Weapons Handbook Volume 7, so I can craft M60 machine guns; I also found 2 more traders while doing quests for the first trader. If you couldn't tell already, I'm having a blast. :D

That's awesome. :) It seems both you and I will be crafting steel earlier than usual. ;) (Since I also have the crucible unlocked via a schematic I found.)

Edit: The second trader I found is also selling 3 cement mixers. So if I can gather a bit of money together within the next day... I might be able to purchase one. Might.

Madmole,

While I haven’t be here nearly as long as some other people (only since A15), you’ve really grown as a person over the past couple years and I commend you for it.

Thanks, I try to keep my passion out of it and try to relate to other people's perspective as much as possible. I continue to study self help material and try to be a student in life. Every year I set a goal to smash old Joel in every way by showing more compassion, getting more fit, learning new things, getting better habits, and always try to get out of my comfort zone because that is where true growth is as a person.

We have, and none of us have encountered any problems. The game runs great for us. Your situation is unfortunate. Have you tried disabling anistropic filtering? Some people have had some success with that.

*sigh*

I was the one who concluded by testing anisotropic settings, that the shaders are overloaded on my RX480. ;)

So...yeah :)

Btw you can't disable Anistropic filtering on the latest AMD drivers, x2 is the lowest it will go. But now that you mention it, maybe try implementing a texture filtering option the the gfx options screen so that you can tweak it from within the game. Maybe when you guys go gold :)

And the fact that you guys didnt encounter it is exactly why i originally said you want to test on more systems (not low end systems, since you're more likely to be forgiven for that).

Anyway, i now feel like im talking in circles, and this is all water under the bridge now anyway.

I want to reiterate that besides the performance issues, this release (experimental even!) has been the most hassle free since.... A11?

So good job on that!

You bet. The trader also had The Automatic Weapons Handbook Volume 7, so I can craft M60 machine guns; I also found 2 more traders while doing quests for the first trader. If you couldn't tell already, I'm having a blast. :D

That's awesome. :) It seems both you and I will be crafting steel earlier than usual. ;) (Since I also have the crucible unlocked via a schematic I found.)

Are you finding electrical schematics? It seems like they are super rare to me, I'd like to avoid 5 ranks of engineering and craft power doors / bridges without it.

@ the Dev Team.

This will be Positive.

On Mobile so forgive Formatting please.

At over 4k Hours, since the early early alphas. This is the Best this game has Ever Felt.

It seems like this was a Quality of Life, Fun and Balance Patch.

I'm the guy who plays on Insane and doesn't die. I never even cheese the Ai either.

Now in 18, the game is Fun in all the category's, from the simple enrage the Zeds get when you shoot them, making you think about every Unnecessary kill, to things like Auto Zooming out of Scope when you try to sprint away. Looting is Now Useful and fun again. Multiple options to Spec out your character depending on what early loot you get.

food is relevant again, no more massive stockpiles making it a useless mechanic. Canned food is Useful again

Gas is relevant again, no more mine one night and never have to worry again.

Even Feathers are now relevant, in the past you'd be swimming in them to the point where you never had to worry about it at all.

Removing the need to craft 50 different shapes of blocks to build... great quality of life improvement.

all the little things and aspects of the game that were intended to add up to a unique experience were trivial in the past, and quickly pointless to even exist.

But now they are useful and interesting and combining to a overall unique survival experience. where you have numerous options on how you want to approach it.

Keep on going the direction you are going. i always felt this was a game made by y'all reading my mind of what i want.

on the one negative so i'm not a shill.... I get the frame-rate loss (down to 40) when looking at distant vistas otherwise im at 90-120. Tried many conventional things, and some unconventional ones, i don't think there's a fix i can do on my end. so i await the Inevitable fix that i know is coming. Settings are high, Minus motion blur, Depth of field, reflected shadows, and SS Reflections.

EAC is off, as its blacklisted on my network, cant have a program messing with my Kernel stacks.

For now the best fix for me is Half Res Textures, Windowed Mode for some reason, and Running a Dedicated Server on the same Machine to connect to even playing single player.

My system is built and maintained by me, a Former Senior Systems Engineer and Admin. (large scale networks 10k+nodes) the PC is highly tuned in hardware and Software (highly customized and trimmed windows x64pro)

overclocked Intel Skylake system, Overclocked Nvidia Evga 1060SC 6gb, Overclocked 16gb DDR4, 2 SSD's, 1 for OS, one for Games is a samsung 960pro NVME. Temperatures are optimal even under Max load, System stability is perfect.

Thanks and good luck, cant wait to see what the future holds in store for us.

and then there will be some (dont say it wouldnt) but there will be some who will want to know if green means i need to go and find the book and red means stop. i know... its is a battle that will never be 100% for everyone. and just BSing with you. smile :)

I'm sure Roland will critizise this as needless information overload, "a true survivor will have to remember which books he has read, death to GUI" :cocksure:

Are you finding electrical schematics? It seems like they are super rare to me, I'd like to avoid 5 ranks of engineering and craft power doors / bridges without it.

Ehh, I've found the electric timer relay schematic and... That's it. Just looked through the CM menu just to be sure. Yeah, electric timer relay schematic. (Day 8 currently; spent days 1-5 looting, and today as well.)

@ the Dev Team.

This will be Positive.

On Mobile so forgive Formatting please.

At over 4k Hours, since the early early alphas. This is the Best this game has Ever Felt.

It seems like this was a Quality of Life, Fun and Balance Patch.

I'm the guy who plays on Insane and doesn't die. I never even cheese the Ai either.

Now in 18, the game is Fun in all the category's, from the simple enrage the Zeds get when you shoot them, making you think about every Unnecessary kill, to things like Auto Zooming out of Scope when you try to sprint away. Looting is Now Useful and fun again. Multiple options to Spec out your character depending on what early loot you get.

food is relevant again, no more massive stockpiles making it a useless mechanic. Canned food is Useful again

Gas is relevant again, no more mine one night and never have to worry again.

Even Feathers are now relevant, in the past you'd be swimming in them to the point where you never had to worry about it at all.

Removing the need to craft 50 different shapes of blocks to build... great quality of life improvement.

all the little things and aspects of the game that were intended to add up to a unique experience were trivial in the past, and quickly pointless to even exist.

But now they are useful and interesting and combining to a overall unique survival experience. where you have numerous options on how you want to approach it.

Keep on going the direction you are going. i always felt this was a game made by y'all reading my mind of what i want.

on the one negative so i'm not a shill.... I get the frame-rate loss (down to 40) when looking at distant vistas otherwise im at 90-120. Tried many conventional things, and some unconventional ones, i don't think there's a fix i can do on my end. so i await the Inevitable fix that i know is coming. Settings are high, Minus motion blur, Depth of field, reflected shadows, and SS Reflections.

EAC is off, as its blacklisted on my network, cant have a program messing with my Kernel stacks.

For now the best fix for me is Half Res Textures, Windowed Mode for some reason, and Running a Dedicated Server on the same Machine to connect to even playing single player.

My system is built and maintained by me, a Former Senior Systems Engineer and Admin. (large scale networks 10k+nodes) the PC is highly tuned in hardware and Software (highly customized and trimmed windows x64pro)

overclocked Intel Skylake system, Overclocked Nvidia Evga 1060SC 6gb, Overclocked 16gb DDR4, 2 SSD's, 1 for OS, one for Games is a samsung 960pro NVME. Temperatures are optimal even under Max load, System stability is perfect.

Thanks and good luck, cant wait to see what the future holds in store for us.

Sitting here reading this gave me chills and I noticed I was doing a most muscular pose for some reason as a result of reading it, or like Jet LI in the one assimilating ones powers. Well said :D

Archived