Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Like madmole pointed out earlier, I don't think the game will change much at its core from here on. There will be more content but I don't expect to see many new mechanics besides bandits. And that's fine by me. For new, shiny stuff, I'd rather them start a new game from the grounds up. That way they can tailor an engine to their needs with the experience that they've acquired with 7 days to die. It would allow for so much more.

You mean default in steam, or in game? Steam can be funky with controllers. (We use DS4 controllers, BTW.) I' try it today and see if it works as expected.

Zombie ai intellegence difference makes sense... good to know, and thanks for the reply!

The in game settings. Options > Controls > Defaults button.

I have a request, it seems simple to me but maybe isn’t. Can we please get some type of info on how mods will he officially supported other than “steam workshop”. There are several outstanding questions from modders that haven’t been addressed.

I get it’s not close to gold master. But it seems that some modders have more inside access than others to info about modding. I’d love to see an official “thing” about modding from the pimps and not just modders in the forum.

I apologize if this seems nebulous. I’m simply asking for anything “official” from the pimps about mods and modding with beta/alpha release notes or a separate post in the mod forum.

If anyone sounds like they have inside info, they're just making it up, like I do. Based on posts, common sense, etc. :)

He said no friendly followers. I don't think he said no friendly NPCs at all besides traders.

At least, I certainly hope he didn't.

Why we need NPC when there is no story.

I don't think we need NPC for open world style game. Game should remain open, one trader quest is enough to control it.

People are like the Bob Dylan song: My Back Pages.

He was singing about the man he was and the man he later became. So many are the early Bob Dylan and that's OK.

I remember, a long time ago, listening to it and saying: That song is stupid! How does "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." make any sense!

:)

Why we need NPC when there is no story.

I don't think we need NPC for open world style game. Game should remain open, one trader quest is enough to control it.

NPCs add a ton of character to a game. Seriously, if you've played any games other than Minecraft, you'll see the value of NPCs.

I'd actually love to see a modder through largely XML and some voice clips that I hope can be added to a mod, then watch someone totally build a custom world and story. Would be pretty epic.

Hey Joel!

Quite excited for the news! I would like to make a little suqqestion for upcoming update or maybe future updates.

Can you make torches destructable after being used for a long period of time? Torches are like infinite light source in the game, so for making further progression it would be more interesting to move from torches to electricity while unlocking science perks. Torches can go out and than can be lightened with lighter for example. Also flashlights (like mining helmet) could use batteries as possible mod. I think it would be more logical and more interesting. Hope you'll see and asnwer this post. Best regards.

NPCs add a ton of character to a game. Seriously, if you've played any games other than Minecraft, you'll see the value of NPCs.

I'd actually love to see a modder through largely XML and some voice clips that I hope can be added to a mod, then watch someone totally build a custom world and story. Would be pretty epic.

To be honest, Minecraft has NPC's (villagers).. :)

Hey Joel!

Quite excited for the news! I would like to make a little suqqestion for upcoming update or maybe future updates.

Can you make torches destructable after being used for a long period of time? Torches are like infinite light source in the game, so for making further progression it would be more interesting to move from torches to electricity while unlocking science perks. Torches can go out and than can be lightened with lighter for example. Also flashlights (like mining helmet) could use batteries as possible mod. I think it would be more logical and more interesting. Hope you'll see and asnwer this post. Best regards.

We had a similar featured a few alphas ago. Torches would burn out.

It's fun I theory but it was a mess running around replacing all your torches.

And what those NPC will do, just roam around getting killed or turning themselves to zombie. Or providing your Quest and material. Yet again, there is no need for NPC in this game. Yes I play (never play minecraft) other game with NPC, I really still don't think they serve a purpose to baseline of game, unless a Story is added. like you have to build a Rocket to leave this fiction world to go out and new NPC will provide you material for it, but they are harder to find and negotiate etc.

And what those NPC will do, just roam around getting killed or turning themselves to zombie. Or providing your Quest and material. Yet again, there is no need for NPC in this game. Yes I play (never play minecraft) other game with NPC, I really still don't think they serve a purpose to baseline of game, unless a Story is added. like you have to build a Rocket to leave this fiction world to go out and new NPC will provide you material for it, but they are harder to find and negotiate etc.

Agree. I could live without npc's but it's on the KS list so I bet it will be wrenched in.

Personally I dont se the purpose of npc's if there isnt a story.

Other than that they could act as a resource.

A quest gives you there location. You rescue them and they get teleported to your base.

At the base you can assign them tasks. Like growing, building and so on.

And you have to protect them. Like every other resource in this game.

What about dishonestly? :D

I'm always honest... Trust me :)

- - - Updated - - -

When he leaves out the phrase "To be honest", he in lying geologist mode.

Geologists always have two hands, or so the saying goes.. One the one hand.. But on the other..

I'm always honest... Trust me :)

Geologists always have two hands, or so the saying goes.. One the one hand.. But on the other..

Or be like a project lead and try to slip the painful truth by the money people:

"I estimate the first 90% of the project will take 90% of the money and the remainder of the project will take the other 90%".

Agree. I could live without npc's but it's on the KS list so I bet it will be wrenched in.

A quest gives you there location. You rescue them and they get teleported to your base.

You're kidding, right? No place for NPCs? You know that in the game...you are not the only one that survived the apocalypse, right? And all the people(npcs) that survived are not traders and bandits? That is your "subtle" way of saying "I don't want NPCs, I will try to convince them not to add them, so I will just come with the idea that there is no story".

1.Joel said that THERE WILL BE A STORY, especially revolving around the Duke of Navezgane

2.You are not the only survivor in the zombie apocalypse besides traders and bandits, so friendly NPCs DO HAVE their meaning.

3.To be honest, I hate playing with other players(if they are not someone I know), so I won't play on any server, I mostly play single-player and NPCs are the best way of adding more immersion and getting rid of that feeling of "Oh, I am alone against the zombies, how cool would it be to see some NPCs fighting them". If you are going to say "Well, if you feel lonely against zombies, then go on a server"...then I will say "I already said I don't like playing with strangers, since most are trolls, and my friends are not always online to play with, so NPCs are 24/24 at my disposal".

Just take a look at State of Decay Breakdown, without NPCs the game would be a total mess and Project Zomboid has a really cool mod with NPCs that really add immersion and you're feeling like you are really in the zombie apocalypse. Truth be told(and no one likes to hear this), chances to be the ONLY survivor in the apocalypse are 0,00000001%, so whether people want or not, NPCs will be in the game... Now I'm not trying to be mean, and this message was for all the people that don't like the idea. If you don't like the idea, then disable them by modding the xml files, simple as that.

What's about all this mess with "I don't like NPCs, I don't want NPCs, NPCs suck..." ?

Lol so ya thinking the zombie apocalypse occurred you be the Only one that survives lol.

You're kidding, right? No place for NPCs? You know that in the game...you are not the only one that survived the apocalypse, right? And all the people(npcs) that survived are not traders and bandits? That is your "subtle" way of saying "I don't want NPCs, I will try to convince them not to add them, so I will just come with the idea that there is no story".

1.Joel said that THERE WILL BE A STORY, especially revolving around the Duke of Navezgane

2.You are not the only survivor in the zombie apocalypse besides traders and bandits, so friendly NPCs DO HAVE their meaning.

3.To be honest, I hate playing with other players(if they are not someone I know), so I won't play on any server, I mostly play single-player and NPCs are the best way of adding more immersion and getting rid of that feeling of "Oh, I am alone against the zombies, how cool would it be to see some NPCs fighting them". If you are going to say "Well, if you feel lonely against zombies, then go on a server"...then I will say "I already said I don't like playing with strangers, since most are trolls, and my friends are not always online to play with, so NPCs are 24/24 at my disposal".

Just take a look at State of Decay Breakdown, without NPCs the game would be a total mess and Project Zomboid has a really cool mod with NPCs that really add immersion and you're feeling like you are really in the zombie apocalypse. Truth be told(and no one likes to hear this), chances to be the ONLY survivor in the apocalypse are 0,00000001%, so whether people want or not, NPCs will be in the game... Now I'm not trying to be mean, and this message was for all the people that don't like the idea. If you don't like the idea, then disable them by modding the xml files, simple as that.

What's about all this mess with "I don't like NPCs, I don't want NPCs, NPCs suck..." ?

You put your emotion to harsh. "You like NPC, you want NPC, all other sucks" is what you are saying. The comment by HerrKingsley is simply stating view. I don't mind getting NPC added, but the purpose you say you need NPC for is the same as playing with other player you don't know. MM (as I read somewhere) confirm that NPC won't work for you. They will add story, but until then what NPC do. be your slave dog ? Let say you add a AI intelligent NPC that can shoot and if you assign him a farm area he will grow different plants and cook for you. But doesn't that take your "survival" part.

As I said before without Story line NPC is no added value. I don't hate them, but I don't see their usage. Plus they have many more things to fix before they start on NPC like complex entity in game, for that matter something like Bandit is more important don't you think ?

You put your emotion to harsh. "You like NPC, you want NPC, all other sucks" is what you are saying. The comment by HerrKingsley is simply stating view. I don't mind getting NPC added, but the purpose you say you need NPC for is the same as playing with other player you don't know. MM (as I read somewhere) confirm that NPC won't work for you. They will add story, but until then what NPC do. be your slave dog ? Let say you add a AI intelligent NPC that can shoot and if you assign him a farm area he will grow different plants and cook for you. But doesn't that take your "survival" part.

As I said before without Story line NPC is no added value. I don't hate them, but I don't see their usage. Plus they have many more things to fix before they start on NPC like complex entity in game, for that matter something like Bandit is more important don't you think ?

Look at State of Decay Breakdown, BREAKDOWN (which has no story), do you think NPCs don't have any value? Why don't you want to accept that fact that you are not alone in the zombie apocalypse? And even if they get added and you see no "reason" or "role" for them whatsoever, why can't you just mod the xml files and get rid of them? Plus, why do you even debate about this if it will be added 100% since it's one of their goals?

I didn't even said that I need followers in 7DTD, just that I want NPCs and all the people get angry despite the fact that they are on the Kickstarter's goals, that's what annoys me. You can agree with me, or not and don't get me wrong, when people don't like a feature (like bandits or npcs), they will start hating TFP for adding them: "This game sucks, the Devs don't listen to the people, I will stop playing this game, blah blah blah...), when most are just newbies that started to play from A14 or so, and not from Alpha 1. I am sick and tired of hearing whiners(not talking about you, I am talking in general), because that is A FACT and it's happening all the time TFP add something people don't agree, but people are not aware of 2 things:

1.It's their game, so regardless of your POV, they will add what they want

2.If it's one of the game's goals, then it will be added 100%.

If you don't like the game, stop playing it, it is simple as that. Nobody will miss you, nobody will know that you even existed. Why am I saying this? I am writing this because of all the hate that is thrown at The Fun Pimp's staff, and since people are already starting to dislike the idea of bandits and npcs, they will start complaining and hating 7DTD. Again, it's a FACT and it has happened in the recent alphas.

LOL good one. Poor a18. But as we all know A17 was so big a lot of people couldn't swallow it.

Hello Madmole!

I wonder if we can get extended mod support that allows to create more complex mods instead of jusr XML text edits.

For example I want to spawn a single certain block in world, add a marker for all players to it, and if this block is destroyed - it's a game over for all players (debuff killing players on spawn or whatever). Naturally I want zombies to attack this block instead of players on 7th day.

Being programmer myself I know that C# is very versatile and you can just make certain api calls public, so we can include your dll in ours and create a complex and interesting mods.

Any plans on providing extended api for more complex mods like described above?

Archived