Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Can we pleeeeeease fix the rocket launcher/explosive crossbow bolts and pipe bombs for that matter? The zombies tank them no matter how high my explosive perk is. At least have them get knocked down by them? It's a rocket launcher, should be capable of muuuuch more. Also dying for vehical mods and more mods in general, but I appreciate everything we've gotten so far

Can we pleeeeeease fix the rocket launcher/explosive crossbow bolts and pipe bombs for that matter? The zombies tank them no matter how high my explosive perk is. At least have them get knocked down by them? It's a rocket launcher, should be capable of muuuuch more. Also dying for vehical mods and more mods in general, but I appreciate everything we've gotten so far

Faatal posted that he's been working on fixing a bug with explosives not doing the damage they should, I think there was also mention of vehicle mods too so I think you'll get your wishes.

For my part I really miss the dismemberment, even with the correct perks I can't remove a limb from a zombie. Heads pop pretty easily once you're properly skilled up. The only time I've seen limbs come off is on the blade traps and even then only once in a couple of hundred hours.

Moin.

Question: What will be the name of the game in future? 7 Days to Die is no longer possible now that you can have Hordes after three or something days ...

Lol WHAT. How did you come to that conclusion lol. 7 days to die has nothing to do with arrival times of hordes lol. If you die on your first horde lol maybe try turning em off......

Good deal. I think improving the mod framework even further will allow people to be really creative and hopefully make it an awesome experience no matter what your tastes are.

Are there plans to make a steam workshop mod framework? I think someone asked earlier in the thread, not sure if I saw a response to this Q. This would really improve exposure of modders' work to other people and hopefully encourage even more modders to do stuff.

Yes steam workshop. You can also get mods on the nexus already.

I heard Gazz and Shawn talking about this, I believe its getting fixed today, should go to 17.3.

What I would like to see for weapons and tools going forward is having randomized values on damage for each tier.

Tier 1-10-20

Tier 2-20-30

...etc

Unlocking the weapons through perks will allow to craft the baseline damage of each tier. But, finding weapons or tools while looting or at the trader is the only way to find one that has potential to be maxed out for its tier.

I think it would be interesting as well if weapons/tools randomly spawned with built in mods that didnt take up any mod slots

For example, you find a lvl6 AK-47 with a build in 4x scope mod and shoulder stock. Then you still have 5 mod slots to fill it in however you want.

If you really wanted to get crazy you could also have built in mods that aren't found in the world like a gun that makes every round an incendiary round. Or a sledgehammer that freezes the enemy temporarily.

MM are blueprints still going to be a thing whether before gold or a dlc.

What I like to see changed and added to the options in the game menu -

1. Zombie block damage add a 0 in there as well then you have fully covered your whole player base allowing people to select the different option that suits them. Some people don't believe zombies can destroy blocks. Others are happy with 25% 50% etc. This also Allows not having to mod it out

2. Zombie jump and have a true or false and can also have a second option distance jumped in block lengths. Again this will cover the whole player base and allow people to truly select their own game styles fully and again allows having to not mod it out.

3. Loot drop of zombies - have options that state how often loot drops from zombies again this covers whole player base and allows them to chose which percentage they feel is appropriate for their game style and you habe covered all bases and allowed freedom of choice.

4. Zombie variance option - option 1 - all types (ie: radiated,feral,normal) option 2 - no radiated. Option 3 - No ferals . Option 4 - No radiated. No ferals. Etc

5. As an extension of number 4. Option 1 - if selected all types number of each type a z varies. If selected option 2 amount Of each varies. Select option 4 lots of normal zs (herds bigger hoardes)

6. Friendly animal amounts option where a player can choose how many he/she wants alive.

7. Enemy animals as same with number 6.

Quote Originally Posted by BadabingbadaBOOMSDAY!

I heard Gazz and Shawn talking about this, I believe its getting fixed today, should go to 17.3.

any info on them fixing the exp gains from explosions too?

I know you guys worked hard on the perk system, but I really don't like it. I gave it some good play thru's since the release, but I feels very NOT 7 days to die. It is a very limiting and very awkward and forces you in to only a few ways of advancing. And when you do finally get to the end of the perk tree you chose the improvement is not the equivalent to the old system. It feels like a dumming down of the game. This does very little to add to the game, if anything as it is currently implemented it detracts from what was a good start to the skill trees. Of the things you added in A17, this is by far the worst addition, I MUCH prefer the book system and earning individual skills thru use.

Evilest Overlord gives Perk system a 2 out of 10.

What I think you should do to improve the game:

I do think that books should be changed from they automatically give you levels in a skill to they give you like 30 minutes of improved learning of a skill. Some skills should be locked behind finding and reading a book, then additional finds of the same book should act as a 30 minutes bonus. This gives books a continuing purpose in the game instead of paper bait or sell bait. The player SHOULD have to go into POI's to get certain skill books. Like for instance if you want a high chance of getting a "mini bike for dummies" book you should have to go into a minibike or motorcycle shop. You can even have a much higher chance of getting it in the garage, where their are 20 zombie mechanics. The Point is to give the player incentive to go into certain POI's if they want to go down a certain path. All skills should have a reasonable level minimum, but only the most powerful and ultra rare skills should be above say level 60.

I think that stats and perks do make sense for improving skills. Say you learn skills faster with certain stats and you get a bonus from purchasing perks to complement skills in a certain category. You can even keep the point system the same. This will make it a more strategic decision on what to add, and instead of a perk tree being a dead end it is a complement to the skill system. I do not think anything should be unlocked by perks.

You should get some basic books in the air drop, nothing exciting at first, but necessary things. As the game progresses, there should be a mechanism to get higher level skill books. Say creating a radio to "inform" the airdrop crews what you need. Each time you request it, you get a slightly higher chance of getting it.

The point is to make the game more interesting, not dumb it down. More complicated is good in this regard, this is a puzzle solving game after all.

Thank you for all your efforts TFP, it is appreciated.

Moin.

Question: What will be the name of the game in future? 7 Days to Die is no longer possible now that you can have Hordes after three or something days ...

i asked the same question and the answer is:

"the game intent is still the same because it is based on game defaults as designed. so changing any settings (by options or mods) does not change the game title."

basically.... it doesnt matter what is changed, its still 7 days to die. :) hope that helps

Lockpicks can only be added through the use of code mods requiring 3rd party functionality.

There was however very good lockpick code in the game at one point that was demonstrated as a mini-game.

This code was removed and isn't even accessible to modders (hence the need to use 3rd party tools and code mods).

Stealth builds without a way to combat locked containers in a stealthy manner are not possible.

Stealth builds as described (being able to fully avoid zombies including blood moon) are not possible without stealthy means to do things (then again the current Stealth skills don't work for Blood Moon either).

There are several overhaul mods that include lockpicks. It's already modded and done.

I thought dismemberment was working but locked behind perks. ?

Which was a shame as I loved seeing zombies get blown apart and legs and arms flying off, then the torso still coming at you haha.

Dismemberment has some changes coming for A18 that make it frequent (the last one is Gazz's and might go into A17?):

Added: Minimum zombie dismemberment chance on death of 50% (heads 30%) if killing damage is strong enough

Fixed: Animal dismemberment (was never called, fixed finding bones, added bone alignment and scaling, made lower limbs remove upper too, fixed black streaks from scale of 0)

Fixed: DismemberChance can not stack correctly between buffs, items, and perks

Dismemberment has some changes coming for A18 that make it frequent (the last one is Gazz's and might go into A17?):

Added: Minimum zombie dismemberment chance on death of 50% (heads 30%) if killing damage is strong enough

Fixed: Animal dismemberment (was never called, fixed finding bones, added bone alignment and scaling, made lower limbs remove upper too, fixed black streaks from scale of 0)

Fixed: DismemberChance can not stack correctly between buffs, items, and perks

Dismember heads 30 percent chance on death? This makes no sense unless im missing something. Decapitation should CAUSE death... not just play a new animation when they would have died amyway due to normal damage.

Instead of acid , you could also just add in Thermite...easy to make , once you know how...and cuts right thru anything...

Will not put the ratio here , but I am sure you could just look it up online these days lol

Its powdered metal and iron oxide(rust) , just need magnesium ribbon or other very high temp fuse...

I made some and tested it on an old safe a few months ago...cut right thru that thing...

Only problem is , that when the reaction takes place...it is pretty bright...so might not be good for "stealth" ;)

Dismember heads 30 percent chance on death? This makes no sense unless im missing something. Decapitation should CAUSE death... not just play a new animation when they would have died amyway due to normal damage.

I think it means if you chop at a dead body there is a 30% chance to remove the targeted limb from the corpse.

We might move top tier guns to schematics. So with your shotgun messiah perk you can craft a double barrel, but the top tier weapon (the pump shotgun) would require a schematic. Then your out looking for these and they always have some value.

YES PLEASE! Craftable basic functionality (iron and below, equiv weapons, food and armor), OP by searching

I think it means if you chop at a dead body there is a 30% chance to remove the targeted limb from the corpse.

Can we smear zed guts on our selves to mask meat we are carrying? Otherwise hacking dead zombies seems pointless. I mean aside from it’s funny as ♥♥♥♥.

Instead of acid , you could also just add in Thermite...easy to make , once you know how...and cuts right thru anything...

Will not put the ratio here , but I am sure you could just look it up online these days lol

Its powdered metal and iron oxide(rust) , just need magnesium ribbon or other very high temp fuse...

I made some and tested it on an old safe a few months ago...cut right thru that thing...

Only problem is , that when the reaction takes place...it is pretty bright...so might not be good for "stealth" ;)

Im down with thermite

What we would really love to see is more food....

apple or cherry trees

fishing

trapping

chicken/rabbit farming

and more dye colors. I'm personally a fan of purple and am saddened the purple tank was removed

LOVE the new decor items. being able to craft some of them would be much welcomes.

also, what happened to the glass? its so transparent we cant even see it. rice paper windows would be nice.. i'd love to make some windows out of wood and paper.

There are already modlets for farming with 15 or 20 new crops. animals, recipes, and a ton of extra dye colors.

Thermite makes more sense than acid IMHO, and you already have the spark and burning particle effects for it, and makes sense use it for safes only to reserve the poi locked door paths.

Question: By dead body hacking you mean zombies that haven't been put down yet, right?

The machete used to have a higher dismemberment rate.. can that be restored, and can a mod for bladed weapons and tools be added for increased dismemberment chance? Both the shovel and foreaxe could use it as well as the knife and machete.

While I'll REALLY miss features like the perlin caves, I AM glad to see you very focused on what you want to accomplish.

Is there a way you can check on and implement experience from explosives? Last I recall, we got no exp at all from any explosive, like pipe bombs or rocket launchers.

Also the bank down keybind you did for controllers on the gyro was never added to the a17 code.

Also something we noticed on a17.2 compared to the previous versions, is sometimes zombies don't path to players, and instead seem to go off banging on something else instead.. did something break ai wise?

Explosive XP - don't know, I'd have to look at the code.

I checked and the controller B key does tilt down and was added in December in A17 before we even had an A18 branch. I do remember having to set the controls to default to get it to see the new controller mapping.

AI in A17.2 have an intelligence value that determines how important they treat block health and how often they will get mad on long paths and just destroy blocks. It is a random range and different zombies have different ranges, so some are quite dumb and will not follow partial paths for very long.

Archived