Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I could care less about their engine. Skryim and Fallout were both visually acceptable and with mods are even better. They can continue updating the renderer forever, the core system works fine and is very flexible to do what you want with. They are the only one serving this kind of "open world, do what you want, cool npcs, cool lore, cool story, RPG, Crafting, Building" sandwiches on the planet. Every other rpg is a pos mmo or third person only, or overhead pos. Even diablo 3 was boring af and didn't evolve at all.

I think its Zenimax losing their marbles, BGS is working on starfield and a bit on ES6. Zenimax bought a bunch of studios to avoid being taxed so much, and these studios aren't making profits on the games they were known for so they let them make fallout 76, which they royally screwed up. I don't think BGS worked on Fallout 76 that much, if they had, they would NOT reuse 90% of the Fallout 4 assets they would make all new content. I think they are working mostly on Starfield.

I don't know about how you felt about it but Fallout 4 left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth. It was just so dumb downed and on rails that it didn't even feel like a fallout game, aside from the aesthetics. Your supposed to evolve not devolve. As for their engine, your absolutely right. What I am referring to is the bugs and exploits that have been there since Morrowind, as the Creation Engine was built on the bones of Gamebryo. Same bugs and glitchy-ness for almost 17 years. I have high hopes for Starfield as they have the feedback to rectify past mistakes.

I could care less about their engine. Skryim and Fallout were both visually acceptable and with mods are even better. They can continue updating the renderer forever, the core system works fine and is very flexible to do what you want with. They are the only one serving this kind of "open world, do what you want, cool npcs, cool lore, cool story, RPG, Crafting, Building" sandwiches on the planet. Every other rpg is a pos mmo or third person only, or overhead pos. Even diablo 3 was boring af and didn't evolve at all.

I think its Zenimax losing their marbles, BGS is working on starfield and a bit on ES6. Zenimax bought a bunch of studios to avoid being taxed so much, and these studios aren't making profits on the games they were known for so they let them make fallout 76, which they royally screwed up. I don't think BGS worked on Fallout 76 that much, if they had, they would NOT reuse 90% of the Fallout 4 assets they would make all new content. I think they are working mostly on Starfield.

There are some bugs hanging around the Bethesda engine that have been there over a decade now, some very significant ones in the quest system. Combine that with a lack of access to some core features such as the character controller and I'd say it's time to fix the core engine properly and bring it up to modern specifications. Ripping out the quest system entirely and replacing it with something better has been needed since Oblivion.

Hell, most of the best mods can't even be run without SKSE (or the relevant equivalent for the engine) which adds access to parts of the code which Bethesda hasn't opened up for modding. Since SKSE was almost taken down by Bethesda for essentially hacking the core engine and the furor over the various attempts at paid mods it's hard to say that Bethesda is fully embracing the modding community.

I don't think BGS worked on Fallout 76 that much, if they had, they would NOT reuse 90% of the Fallout 4 assets they would make all new content. I think they are working mostly on Starfield.

Ironically, if they had just reused 100% of FO4's assets \ quests and just added coop multiplayer, quality of life improvements, and more content it would have been a 11/10 game.

Are pre-modded items/tools/weapons coming back any time soon?

When I saw pre-modded stuff in trader's inventory in one of the last updates, I felt much more motivated to do those quests to get diamonds, dukes, old money so that I could eventually get the pre-modded stuff. Unfortunately it was removed in the next update even before I could actually earn enough dukes to buy something.

Any plans to introduce rain water collectors so we can have water in home? Ofcourse as electicity-grade technology (maybe a bit earlier).

Also working kitchen sinks / maybe stoves?

- - - Updated - - -

Ironically, if they had just reused 100% of FO4's assets \ quests and just added coop multiplayer, quality of life improvements, and more content it would have been a 11/10 game.

Agree 100%. Same story with State of Decay. They just needed a good co-op, not another mmorpg grindfest in mmo-oversaturated market that has far better mmorpg grindfests to offer players out there.

Has the error issue with a zombie/multiple zombies running into and electric fence trap come up? Pound for pound the most useful trap and it makes the game/bloodmoon night almost unplayable when the red menu error message comes up.

Side not very happy to hear explosive damage/block damage is getting looked at, it's been very sad to scrap every rocket launcher I see because the dont damage or stop zombies in the slightest/ take way too many rockets to blow up a house ect. Pipe bombs are even worse. HOWEVER heads up explosive charges/Dynamite work perfect imo, gas barrels too

Sure, here you go:

I'm happy and sad to see this. Happy because I love new and original content, but sad because it gives me way too many ideas you know? I want to say: Now we just need a horse to mount that wagon and use it for travelling, but obviously that most likely won't exist in game. :upset:

Sure, here you go:

...but why.

I mean, do you see a lot of wagons on the trails in the apocalypse?

Don't get me wrong, new assets are great, and this'll make my medieval mod a bit nicer, but how's this fit?

Shouldn't we see more military assets?

...but why.

Don't get me wrong, new assets are great, and this'll make my medieval mod a bit nicer, but how's this fit?

It fits in the old west town. Personally I don't care about consistency, I like the variety.

Hopefully we get more cool town types in addition to the old west and Japanese. I mean, why not just go crazy?

• Spanish\Mexican
  • Mediterranean Coastal towns
  • Colonial\New England
  • Redneck
  • Shanty towns
  • Underground bunker \ mine towns
  • Scifi Futuristic
  • Medieval castle towns
  • Megacities (Dense with high-rises)
  • An Arcology single building city \ Judge Dred style megabuildings

Do it allllll.

...but why.

To be fair, almost every farm and ranch here in California has some old timey wagon or tools on display. It's like a government requirement or something to be able to call yourself a farm/ranch here lol.

...but why.

How many apocalypses that you experienced in real life so far backup your assumption that there is a low chance of finding an abandoned old wagon like that?

glFJoIx.png

How many apocalypses that you experienced in real life so far backup your assumption that there is a low chance of finding an abandoned old wagon like that?

<snipped for space>

How many have you been in to backup your assumption that people are going to build a load of wagons and leave them to rot? :-)

How are we defining apocalypse? A decent war? No wagons after WW1.

A natural disaster? Not many wagons after Fukishama.

Plague? Ebola doesn't cause people to spontaneously build wagons.

I can see wagons fitting in to certain areas but they'll likely have to be POI specific.

How many have you been in to backup your assumption that people are going to build a load of wagons and leave them to rot? :-)

How are we defining apocalypse? A decent war? No wagons after WW1.

A natural disaster? Not many wagons after Fukishama.

Plague? Ebola doesn't cause people to spontaneously build wagons.

I can see wagons fitting in to certain areas but they'll likely have to be POI specific.

I can agree that wagons may be limited depending on location, but that shouldn't rule them out entirely. My point was that just because there is an apocalypse, it doesn't mean all the wagons that were crafted before must somehow magically disappear and also I can't really find any convincing argument that would prove me wrong. Obviously, comparing it to the real world is one of the possible ways to think about it, but then again if there were absolutely no wooden wagons before the disaster, there just won't be that many wagons after the disaster either. Pripyat still has everything untouched just like it had before the Chernobyl disaster, people left in hurry, so if someone owned a wooden wagon before the apocalypse, there is a huge chance it's still there.

You're kidding, right? No place for NPCs? You know that in the game...you are not the only one that survived the apocalypse, right? And all the people(npcs) that survived are not traders and bandits? That is your "subtle" way of saying "I don't want NPCs, I will try to convince them not to add them, so I will just come with the idea that there is no story".

1.Joel said that THERE WILL BE A STORY, especially revolving around the Duke of Navezgane

2.You are not the only survivor in the zombie apocalypse besides traders and bandits, so friendly NPCs DO HAVE their meaning.

3.To be honest, I hate playing with other players(if they are not someone I know), so I won't play on any server, I mostly play single-player and NPCs are the best way of adding more immersion and getting rid of that feeling of "Oh, I am alone against the zombies, how cool would it be to see some NPCs fighting them". If you are going to say "Well, if you feel lonely against zombies, then go on a server"...then I will say "I already said I don't like playing with strangers, since most are trolls, and my friends are not always online to play with, so NPCs are 24/24 at my disposal".

Just take a look at State of Decay Breakdown, without NPCs the game would be a total mess and Project Zomboid has a really cool mod with NPCs that really add immersion and you're feeling like you are really in the zombie apocalypse. Truth be told(and no one likes to hear this), chances to be the ONLY survivor in the apocalypse are 0,00000001%, so whether people want or not, NPCs will be in the game... Now I'm not trying to be mean, and this message was for all the people that don't like the idea. If you don't like the idea, then disable them by modding the xml files, simple as that.

What's about all this mess with "I don't like NPCs, I don't want NPCs, NPCs suck..." ?

Lol take a chill pill!

No one will scrap NPC's because i am ambivalent about it. And as i said it will probably make Gold because its on the KS list

1. There is no story! Maybe a few fragments.

Im sorry but i get the feeling that 7dtd is more a "wouldn't it be cool if you could do this..." than "does it fit the lore?" kind of game.

In other words a more featured based project then lore based. And I think the features being added and then removed speak for them self. (Behemoth!?)

Will there be a story?... sure! but ill bet it will be a afterthought trying to fit the game features.

2. Until alpha 15 there where no NPC and the game did just fine!

Does 7dtd need NPC to not become a "total mess"? No because 7dtd id so much more than run-and-fetch-quests! Dont sell this game short.

3. I play SP to. And fending for myself is what makes this game unique for me. Until A17 i never botherd with Traders, but they have become such a important part of balance that its hard to mod them out.

I truly hope that NPC will be easily modded out and not mandatory for progression.

4. Lets not go in to the discussion of being the only person alive is realistic... i mean 6000 stones!

5. State of decay and 7dtd are fundamentally different in their core. You are right SoD would be a mess without NPC's. 7dtd lived 14 alphas without a trace of an NPC!

So if we get boring "Oh I need this can you get it for me" quest baked in a lame story line i can live without the story and NPC's. But!

As I said if NPCs are used as a Resource. That would enhance the game and fit its current state.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE a strong lore and story. But during these years I haven't seen anything resemblance a strong cohesive storyline or lore. So forgive me if im a bit skeptic about the grand "Duke of Navezgane" storyline.

But I for one would be very happy to be proven wrong!

...but why.

There is military stuff wip. If you watch TWD they are using horse drawn old wagons because all the gas is gone.

Archived