Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I was just wondering about something, and I don't know if this would be possible for the game or not, but I'll try to be as clear and concise as I can. Every item that has a certain quality to it - whether it is indicated by a color or a number - has certain stats that correspond to that quality. Given that there are 6 different quality levels, that means that there has to be 6 of every item that has a "quality" to it. So what I was wondering, if instead of having 6 different color levels/item levels, could we have the quality of the items denoted by name? For example, a Purple quality pickaxe is considered a lvl6 "Flawless" Pickaxe. If we removed colored quality variations of these items, would that allow us to still be able to indicate item level/quality just by attaching a Prefix to the item name (which would denote the quality and stats) without having 6 different versions of the same item?

Hopefully we can get that fixed up for a17.

I thought dismemberment was working but locked behind perks. ?

Which was a shame as I loved seeing zombies get blown apart and legs and arms flying off, then the torso still coming at you haha.

The plan is no bandits until Gold or some very close to gold final beta or something like that, so that gold has a nice impact.

So you guys are planning a major feature, which will probably require a lot of reiteration, to be included after release of the game?

That could backfire big time..

Any chance for electicity upgrades? There was a fairly long topic with full of ideas. Just to name a few:

- BB should charge the batteries faster, not limited to 5 watts/BB

- more inputs and alternate switches to make more complex networks

- sources and battery packs could work together (if you have a solar panel attached to a battery bank, their total throughput can be used from the BB)

- use electricity to cook (oven) or preserve (fridge) food

- working ACs and heaters for cold/hot (they should require a well insulated house)

- electric furnace

- elevators/electric doors

- a fully electric bike/car

- working cameras that can be hooked up to TVs

- POI lights and already placed lights can be used/repaired or attached to a player crafted network

- etc, just check the topic, it's full of ideas. For example the new coffee machine modell can be hooked up and create a stronger coffee (or better quality maybe with more buff)

With the mention of modders by Madmole, how about introducing real modding support in A18?

Modding support is what allows games to live and thrive long beyond the gold release. And a game that thrives beyond gold release means continued $ stream for TFP for many years after.

Most of the games coming out these days have modding support. I know TFP have done a lot for modding by putting so many configs in XML's, but would be good to take modding support to the next level. -> Integration with Steam Workshop. -> Normal player in game menu that allows player to select mods from Steam workshop.

Lastly, pipe dream here.. XML is the convoluted yuckity yuck..XML is soo 1990's. Switch to json please. Json > XML is not just my personal opinion either. Only XML lover boys are old farts from the 1990's that refuse to come to modern standards. Probably the same guys that prefer to script in batch and perl.

https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_json_xml.asp

I'd actually rather they switched to strongly typed XML. Especially as I thought there's .net components to 7 days, and if .Net is a component, the XML serialization .net does is stupid fast direct transformation to objects and even stupider easy code to write. It also handles a ton of validation to ensure the XML is properly formed.

So 90's or not, JSON's trendy nature doesn't have it hold a candle to XML and XSD's ability to share well formed structures that can also be human readable.

- - - Updated - - -

The plan is no bandits until Gold or some very close to gold final beta or something like that, so that gold has a nice impact.

Hooold the phone. Is A18 being targeted as Beta or essentially what could be an A19 as Beta?

Please add the ability to turn off digging zombies, either by modding or a game/server setting.

It should be an easy mod to set every terrain block to 30000 HP.

You would have to increase the resource value of boulders, though.

It should be an easy mod to set every terrain block to 30000 HP.

You would have to increase the resource value of boulders, though.

Nah, it would be better to make all blocks 3 million HP then make the player punch attack do a flat 1 million HP to anything.

Like in real life. (MM and myself anyway).

I'm finishing up the fixes. Sleepers will now awaken when near an explosion, even if taking no damage. I also fixed a bug with explosions applying reduced damage and often none at all.

Is there a way you can check on and implement experience from explosives? Last I recall, we got no exp at all from any explosive, like pipe bombs or rocket launchers.

Also the bank down keybind you did for controllers on the gyro was never added to the a17 code.

Also something we noticed on a17.2 compared to the previous versions, is sometimes zombies don't path to players, and instead seem to go off banging on something else instead.. did something break ai wise?

- - - Updated - - -

I thought dismemberment was working but locked behind perks. ?

Which was a shame as I loved seeing zombies get blown apart and legs and arms flying off, then the torso still coming at you haha.

I know I've seen them dismembered by blade traps, but I can't recall seeing an arm or leg blown off. I DO see the head explosions with the skill perks though.

...yet traders are invincible and there is such a mechanic called a "land claim block" that feeds the laziness of players...

Look, I'm not saying don't lock tools in campfires (in fact I think that would be dumb too) but let's go ahead and remove invincible traders and LCB's as well. =)

Make this game REALLY socially dynamic.

Trader should be locked, people will kill them first thing, and then setup their own vending machine to make extra profit. Do you really want that in MP ?

When will we see a fix to random gen seed maps? I've been searching non stop for a good seed and their total garbage.

Hey Jim, check this seed out:

Dapiji_Map.jpg.8a9823d84fc9b414e47b7070cb72765b.jpg

Edit: Ha I just realized that was prior to the 17.2 RWG change. Here is the new map:

17.2_Seed.jpg.ff9c69c154a6a65b39fee7faf288b91b.jpg

For a seed, we used the name of our gaming channel "Not-A-Gamer Gaming" (complete with caps and hyphens) and it turned out to be a very nice biome mix, with very little wasteland (only patches). We run our friend/fan server off that seed, and it works out quite well for us.

...One of the goals of the new perk system was to not have major content or character classes/ roleplays being blocked by random number generation or "can't find this book to craft a bike, etc". So we achieved that but books were always fun to find.

Having major content \ classes being blocked by randomization was one of the selling points of the game for many people. It makes multiple playthrough's exciting and completely different.

These books are a great start, but like you said they're fairly minor and even the collection perk is still minor compared to a16 where a schematic would unlock whole segments of play and allow you to assemble\repair a certain weapon \ item \ minibike \ etc.

<snipped for space>

Although I share your dislike for xml in this case it's the correct tool for the job.

I would only store data for editing in json if I was sure it was only going to be modified by a computer or a programmer. If I'm opening data for editing by the general public then xml is far more forgiving of mistakes and easier to read. A single typo will render an entire json sheet unreadable whereas a typo in xml will more than likely just render that particular node unreadable.

Modders aren't programmers, if you want more people to mod your game then try to make it as easy as possible for them otherwise they'll give up and switch to something easier.

With the mention of modders by Madmole, how about introducing real modding support in A18?

Modding support is what allows games to live and thrive long beyond the gold release. And a game that thrives beyond gold release means continued $ stream for TFP for many years after.

Most of the games coming out these days have modding support. I know TFP have done a lot for modding by putting so many configs in XML's, but would be good to take modding support to the next level. -> Integration with Steam Workshop. -> Normal player in game menu that allows player to select mods from Steam workshop.

Lastly, pipe dream here.. XML is the convoluted yuckity yuck..XML is soo 1990's. Switch to json please. Json > XML is not just my personal opinion either. Only XML lover boys are old farts from the 1990's that refuse to come to modern standards. Probably the same guys that prefer to script in batch and perl.

https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_json_xml.asp

To add: convert localization.txt to xml so it can be modded via xpath.

I already said I pushed for lockpicks, but sure turn it into hate on madmole if you want. We can't be in alpha 17 years we need to go gold so anything that isn't 10 minutes of xml or not on the KS list is getting curb stomped.

Sad part of no lockpicks:

The code was already done, working, and demonstrated before (in your videos).

Heck, add a few variables to the mini-game system that was demonstrated and one could have a nice lockoicking skill tree as well.

With this confirmation lockpicking is not on the plans to return any longer, does that also mean stealth only builds are indeed off the potential playstyle list?

Unless maybe the acid will dissolve locks and still allow looting of containers, etc in a stealthy manner.

As one who was looking forward to the eventual ability to have a Stealth build, meh.

Once again people are hating on adding content through modding like it's a bad thing. Instead of bemoaning that lock picks will have to be added by modding be glad that lock picks CAN be added by modding. It isn't that the devs are too lazy to add your own personal most wanted feature. It is that they created a framework that allows for many personal most wanted features to be added by creative individuals who also want them.

Lockpicks aren't going to be a vanilla part of 7 Days to Die. Go go Modders!!!

Lockpicks can only be added through the use of code mods requiring 3rd party functionality.

There was however very good lockpick code in the game at one point that was demonstrated as a mini-game.

This code was removed and isn't even accessible to modders (hence the need to use 3rd party tools and code mods).

Stealth builds without a way to combat locked containers in a stealthy manner are not possible.

Stealth builds as described (being able to fully avoid zombies including blood moon) are not possible without stealthy means to do things (then again the current Stealth skills don't work for Blood Moon either).

Archived