Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

A nice cold beer to the whole TFP staff on A18 so far.

I've only played to about to 18:00 or so on day one, but it feels so good to be scared again. My first close call was almost to a pig of all things... a pig! I can't remember the last time I had to run for my life from a pig in 7DTD no matter how early game it was.... and I ran like a little girl. There was no way in hell I was going to have my first death be to a pig.

I love the zed rage mechanic. I love it. The second zed I come across was a construction worker. No problem, I go up to knife him as usual. After a couple of hits on him the sumbitch suddenly goes feral on my ass. Makes me nervous when fighting any zed now. That mechanic on its own is a game changer in my view. Especially early game. It did kill me though. One zed out of the three in a church raged on me and caught me off guard.

I also like how resource rocks and feathers seem to have been nerfed. Usually by that time of day on day one I have at least 100 arrows to use. I had trouble scrounging up even 20 or 25. Feathers and stone are now actually something to think about now early game.

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

this is the kind of story i love to read... player caught up in the real action.

thanks, i loved it :)

There was a suggestion upthread that some streamers are having problems with the current build. Unfortunately the claim was not supported by any references to any particular streamers. So this may be entirely unsubstantiated.

That was me I think. And my source is Bearded Guys gaming. They said in stream like an hour ago that their performance dropped a lot by the lastest update and they had their FPS counter on ingame and they were at ~45 FPS in a town. I dont know their PC specs offhand but any streamer worth their salt has a beastly PC.

A MF would have been fixed... i think?

Ok, read the release notes... may generate comb like area...

My world just collapsed...

No. We still have MFs open and new ones were added. MF is more we want this fixed for experimental, but when we run out of time, it depends what it is. They now become we want this fixed for the next patch, but really by stable.

For example, I got this MF today marked as low priority, so I'm not rushing off to fix it:

SDTD-11048 You can ride the bike in turbo mode with no stamina

Dealing with texture memory bloat right now.

No. We still have MFs open and new ones were added. MF is more we want this fixed for experimental, but when we run out of time, it depends what it is. They now become we want this fixed for the next patch, but really by stable.

For example, I got this MF today marked as low priority, so I'm not rushing off to fix it:

SDTD-11048 You can ride the bike in turbo mode with no stamina

Dealing with texture memory bloat right now.

Just a small bug report. (: Thrown spears sometimes clip through zombies and fall through the world.

So for, a18 been a thumbs up. Great look improvements, great performance. Far cry from the a17 release.

One thing to suggest: Make the a18 install auto turn on music. Think a lot of people are missing this. Sure, they can go turn off..but if you have it on by default they might enjoy it. The explore music sets an appropriate mood. The other suggest about the music, needs tense combat music.

Update your drivers?

Tried the last three driver versions - no change.

System specs?

ryzen 3600

Sapphire pulse rx 5700

16gb @3200

B450 Tomahawk max mobo

Got steam installed in a 970 evo

Corsair RM650x gold+ psu

First thing that comes to mind when I see artifacts is the GPU dying but it seems fine on 3DMark and Furmark, as well as other demanding games. Also, rolled back to A17.4 and the artifacts are gone. Any ideas of something that might be causing it in A18?

I've just finished watching jawoodle exploiting the pathing AI to keep zombies in an infinite loop again, like hamsters on a wheel. @faatal, couldn't you just increase the cost of a point in a path whenever a zombie starts falling? As zombies fall and paths get recomputed, they'd start picking alternatives to that path, the way I think of it.

The AI already have a 66% chance of destroy area on each fall.

Also if they make long paths that don't reach you the stupid ones already will randomly bail and destroy area. His loop is short.

I have plans to make destroy area trigger in some other cases, but it needs hours of research and testing and there are more important performance issues I'm looking at now.

Is there a setting I can edit to disable the obnoxious zombies running every few times they take damage?

They are raging with a random chance on you when you hit them or shoot them, they are not obnoxius. If you get hit from somebody, you will rage, too.

It is a new "perk" that is added to make us scream or die. Adapt.

They are raging with a random chance on you, they are not obnoxius. You get hit from somebody and you will rage, too.

It is a new perk that is added to make us scream or die. Adapt.

That's your opinion. My question stands.

That's your opinion. My question stands.

It is new mechanic. Not an opinion.

- *We lowered the default difficulty from Nomad to Adventurer since A18 is a little harder with the new zombie rage speed boosting behavior.*

- *Zombies have a new rage mode. There is a chance when damaging zombies, based on the game difficulty, that they will move faster for a short amount of time. This add more variety to combat.*

Source - https://7daystodie.com/a18-official-release-notes/

So, I managed to sneak in some playtime even on this very busy day for me. (Managed to play for 30 mins)

I played on a pre-generated 02 RWG world, with all default settings. Turned on the Dynamic Music System.

Here's how I played some feedback, enjoy MadMole! :D

I spawned in a Burnt Forest - Desert border. I started doing the quest. While doing it, I heard a coyote (which is great, there are no more ninja animals, I heard the coyote before even seeing him), shot it, it started fleeing, then it came back to bite me in the ass :p, I smacked it, and it fleed again. I started to go through the desert to get to the trader. Looted some POIs on the way, found a nice amount of ammo, and a Q1 Pistol and Shotgun. Put just a point into a Fortitude perk which gives you natural healing, haven't decided on what to get next yet. Didn't get to the trader yet. Also, I got infected :o

I almost died a few times, which shows this is a good Alpha, considering I'm using the default difficulty, which is lower than what I played before with :D. Rage zombies are cool. The Burnt Forest looks meh with its fog and colors (maybe because I'm having pretty low-ish graphics currently), but the Desert looks fantastic with its textures, and the RWG is just amazing. The Dynamic Music System sounds great and is really atmospheric and gives a whole new feel to the game. Needs polish (weird how it fades out when sound effects play and etc.), but this is just the first version, so I'm waiting for updates to it! While outdoor performance is a bit worse than A17 for me, the indoors run great and are super smooth (the occlusion works really well! I saw a single artifact yet) The gun reloading animations look fantastic. The wooden club impact sounds sound funny sometimes, think they need improvement. ;)

All in all, this is a really good Alpha! Going to post some bug reports for some very minor issues :) (Snakes clipping into blocks partially, inconsistent capitalization). Great Job Fun Pimps! :thumb:

Might want to show the block shapes system and the power attack in the tutorial.

It is new mechanic. Not an opinion.

- *We lowered the default difficulty from Nomad to Adventurer since A18 is a little harder with the new zombie rage speed boosting behavior.*

- *Zombies have a new rage mode. There is a chance when damaging zombies, based on the game difficulty, that they will move faster for a short amount of time. This add more variety to combat.*

Source - https://7daystodie.com/a18-official-release-notes/

Cool. So your answer is you don't know. I'm sure there are other people who know the game better than you who are better equipped to answer the question. I'm not sure why you bothered replying to someone asking a question if you didn't know the answer.

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

this is indeed a new mechanic and thus far seems to be a well accepted change to our game.

no, there is no setting to disabled this currently.

as a suggestion only... try our spear, or use what ever type of range weapon you like in order to put distance between you and the zed.. once you get used to this, they are easy to avoid or anticipate... its all about your timing.

thanks and enjoy :)

this is ideed a ew mechanic and thus far seems to be a well accepted change to our game.

no, there is no setting to disabled this currently.

as a suggestion only... try our spear, or use what ever type of range weapon you like in oreder to put distance between you and the zed.. once you get used to this, they are easy to avoid or anticipate... its all about your timing.

thanks and enjoy :)

[/color][/b]

Thanks for the answer. Using the spear already, it really makes little difference as they close the distance gap allotted by the spear instantaneously. Guess I will just wait for the community to address this with a mod.

Changing reflection quality from Ultra+ to off made no difference in FPS. Seems strange.

EDIT: Same thing with Reflected Shadows. No change in FPS when set to No.

EDIT: Texture Quality from Full to 1/8 took FPS from 22 to 31.

EDIT: After putting settings back to max I'm getting 5 FPS again with slow mouse cursor. I'm getting the rendering warning only when I load up the seed. Haven't seen warning since I've been messing with video settings. No other warnings. Seems like the Calling Animator warning happens when you change video settings.

No idea what's going on and can't pinpoint issue with video settings since the FPS drop happens when changing random settings.

GTX 980

AMD ryzen 5 2600

16GB

Windows 10

Resolution 2560x1600 in windowed mode on 4K monitor.

Loving A18 so far. the zombie rage adds a nice new dimension and I've already bumped into a few unexpected ferals at night. Certainly doesn't seem like a lack of z's outdoors either. The overall look of the game is getting better and better each alpha and the performance so far is improved over A17 for me.

Running at 3440 x 1440 on ultra settings, plays very smooth at around 50-60 fps.

Archived