Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

People of your age shouldn't be making these inappropriate jokes anymore, mister!

Unlike most 53 year olds my performance is still quite vigorous. Lesson learned: Eat organic paleo diet, workout and do cardio or feel like crap and fall apart like every other old person.

Intrigue! Can you tell us what you found? I have a potato laptop, went from 35ish in A16.x to 25ish in A17.4. Now down to 5-7 in A18 . No money for a gaming rig. Any performance improvement is a god send for me.

We're pooling up every model at startup, even the unused raft has 25 copies spawned at startup to "be ready to spawn". Not sure how much performance this can cause, but all that texture memory and ram could be freed.

I only played through to finding the Trader due to work but first impressions:

-- new graphics are nice and detailed

-- the spear rocks - my new favorite so far.

-- thanks for changing the starter quest to reduced frames, fiber, clothing, etc.

-- Buzzards are more aggressive and fun.

I have lots of new loot to figure out. back online later - just getting one of my servers running "ZombieLand Texas - Default level"

Streamlining being well received for a change :)

I'm also getting these messages on the console: ""Detail rendering shaders not found for the active rendering pileline, falling back to default shader" Could this be reducing FPS? Maybe a quick hotfix is needed.

Aside from this, the build plays great! Thank you TFP for your work.

So far, exluding fps problems (few settings lowered or off) this is no doubt the best release.

Pimps, keep kickin ass, game is getting greater guys. You are definitely on the right way.

The new RWG map that I made (from the first try) guys...I am in love, spent all time wandering and exploring. First game will be nomad for sure, it is worth a lot.

So far, exluding fps problems (few settings lowered or off) this is no doubt the best release.

Pimps, keep kickin ass, game is getting greater guys. You are definitely on the right way.

The new RWG map that I made (from the first try) guys...I am in love, spent all time wandering and exploring. First game will be nomad for sure, it is worth a lot.

same

Recent reviews on Steam are going into the 'mixed' range.. Hmm.. Here's to hoping there's a quick hotfix to the FPS problems. Else the soft landing will not be soft.

- - - Updated - - -

Not enough rocks in them I guess...

;)

Not enough rocks in the game! I miss those big surface boulders!

They aren't perfect, but I think they are better. I haven't seen a ton of huge drop offs or massive walls blocking things. We will improve them.

I'm seeing quite a lot of raised roads on the side of a mountain/hill. So not only the road-blocks themself, but also the underlying block. It's not all the time though! And there are quite some beautiful vistas in the game!

I'm having 40 fps outside (most settings maxed), which is good in my book. Less than A17, but the picture is awesome, love the hi-res textures, everything looks so crisp. With all that talk of thinning zeds, I was afraid to see empty world, but I was wrong, if anything zeds keep me on my toes. Already met a bear and some dog (coyote?), didn't have time to look, was busy running away :)

Thank you TFP, it is good to be home again!

Unlike most 53 year olds my performance is still quite vigorous. Lesson learned: Eat organic paleo diet, workout and do cardio or feel like crap and fall apart like every other old person.

Ah I deal with enough paleo crap in my line of work (Geologist)!

But happy birthday man! I hope you have a good day (besides the 7D2D thing).. Hope you got some nice presents from family/friends!

Recent reviews on Steam are going into the 'mixed' range.. Hmm.. Here's to hoping there's a quick hotfix to the FPS problems. Else the soft landing will not be soft.

- - - Updated - - -

When I saw how the game looks (even with lowered settings) this evening , there was this (

) video that I remembered about and it made me appreciate how far it got from back then. It is constant improvement, fps will be a problem till the proper balance is made.

#thanks Skippy0330

Archived