Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

It's not VRAM, Faatal. I run an 8GB card (RX480 8GB, with an 4.2 Ghz quadcore, 16GB, not great but the 'typical' setup a lot of gamers still have) and so do many other people. When i just look at terrain the FPS tanks. The more of the 'outside terrain' is on the screen at once, the lower the FPS. I could be in the most complex city and still have decent to great fps. But as soon as I look at the outdoors, it tanks to ~30 FPS.

Madmole mentioned a new terrain shader? Couldnt that be the cause?

Changing my settings has very little impact on FPS when it tanks. I could be running everything @ LOW and it still tanks.

Edit: Performance Metrics report that VRAM Utilization is at 5GB. And my card has 8GB, like i said.

Sure, it may not be VRAM in your case. There is no one case. There are thousands of combinations of hardware (CPU, GPU, memory), OS, drivers and game settings. It sounds like occlusion is helping you a lot. Not much is occluded outdoors, so more renderers are drawn, using more textures, which are then being streamed to the GPU, using more VRAM. Try turning occlusion off and see how it behaves.

I can get stuck with low FPS on my 8GB RAM GPU by turning off streaming and switching texture quality from Half to Full several times until it tanks. All the while VRAM use shows consistent values at Half (3.5 GB) and Full (6.3 GB).

I'm currently using a GeForce GTX 970.

I was getting 45 to 65 fps typically with medium settings and medium textures. Wasn't happy with medium textures

I turned off full screen, and bam... 120 fps

Turned on high textures and still 100 fps.

Windowed mode? I may have to try that trick. Thx.

Windowed mode and down a resolution tick helped a bunch with frame rate. Managed to play with full textures and not stutter much so far. Thanks for the tip

You're welcome. I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to play something you're excited about.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm currently using a GeForce GTX 970.

I was getting 45 to 65 fps typically with medium settings and medium textures. Wasn't happy with medium textures

I turned off full screen, and bam... 120 fps

Turned on high textures and still 100 fps.

nice!

@faatal

I think the problem is with mountain and hills. I was in an area with a fair amount of hills and such in the desert, 25 fps, I got to a relatively flat area in the forest, 60fps.

There's definitely something going on with Terrain as well (in addition to excessive VRAM usage). In the desert looking at distant terrain causes a lot of GPU usage..But in the forest it's silky smooth. When it's flat and there's just buildings..in your fov it's normal..but if there's a lot of hills..the GPU graph rises sharply.

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that junk turret automatically deactivates when its owner is far away and activates when its owner shows up? It almost feels like "Oh sh*t, he's looking, I better go back to work now!"

Its a bluetooth enabled with your iPhone. 😎

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that junk turret automatically deactivates when its owner is far away and activates when its owner shows up? It almost feels like "Oh sh*t, he's looking, I better go back to work now!"

I love how they lower their heads like they get sad, then when you come back they get all happy and perk up.

Occlusion is off. That was one of the first things i turned off. :) It doesnt make any difference in FPS. NNot in this case anyway.

Like i said, there is 0 FPS difference between ultra and low quality settings when looking at mountains/terrain. That should never be the case.

Having always played on a potato I have been happy with low settings because I love the game. I always found settings that were playable. With alpha 18 I'm getting a solid 10 to 15 frames more on my old settings. Outdoors however, is unplayable. Indoors getting 50fps outdoors 10. All I can do is turn it up to ultra and admire what others get to experience while my frames drop to 3.

Admittedly my graphics card is old technology and it can't handle the new technology (shaders). It's time for an upgrade especially when I see people lumping their gtx1060s in the category of a potatoes.

Pity that our monetary outlay for the Fun Pimps hard work goes to a hardware companies because alpha 18 looks amazing.

Managed to play 2 in game days so so far. I'm only playing on medium settings(same as A17) but the world looks gorgeous now. I've died a few times so far. I've had 2 ferals zombies appear on day 2 and got rekt. Died from infection and got food poisoning after eating my first boiled egg. 10/10 would recommend.

There's definitely something going on with Terrain as well (in addition to excessive VRAM usage). In the desert looking at distant terrain causes a lot of GPU usage..But in the forest it's silky smooth. When it's flat and there's just buildings..in your fov it's normal..but if there's a lot of hills..the GPU graph rises sharply.

Exactly. For me im on top of a Hotel in the desert and looking at mountains that are fairly close and the FPS just tanks like nothing i've ever seen. As i slowly pan sideways and get more of the city in view, the FPS goes up and up and up but still.

Just been goosing about in A18 for the past hour. I gotta say I was a bit worried with all the reports of bad performance I was reading whilst the game was updating. But I can honestly say that my experience was buttery smooth in the desert I spawned and was running around in. inside/outside showed no difference in performance whatsoever.

My rig is no beast either:

Geforce GTX 980 [v431.60]

i7-3770 CPU [3.4GHz]

24GB RAM

SSD

Thanks for all the hard work guys, I'm really looking forward to dropping some solid hours into this build.

p.s. extra special thanks to faatal and madmole for bravely sticking around (though the weather be fowl here at times) your patience and diligence in keeping up with the forums has not gone unnoticed. *raises a beer*

Awesome, hopefully everyone can raise a mug soon when we figure out the performance issues.

Awesome, hopefully everyone can raise a mug soon when we figure out the performance issues.

I am having some issues with performance, but absolutely love it and think you guys did a great job here! Launches always have some issues, I am sure you guys will get it.

@Faatal

Hmm from all the reports i've seen on this forum and on the steam forums, I'm stumped as well as where this performance problem lies.

From personal testing, it is 100% the terrain.

Unfortunately, i see people with AMD cards (8GB cards) getting great performance, and I see people with 4GB Nividia cards getting great performance.

I just updated to the latest AMD driver (19.10.1), which was just released and no change. So it's less likely it's just amd drivers doing things differently and needing different optimizations.

This all reminds me of the A17 launch which had some performance issues as well when it first launched.

I just tested using the quality preset "lowest" and "ultra". both seem to make 0 impact in FPS when looking at terrain. It sits at 20-30FPS depending how much terrain is on the screen. Running in the city and being indoors the FPS (obviously) *is* impacted by switching the quality preset.

In a17 there were some issues with graphical options not being properly set even though you switched them on and vice versa. Could something similar being happening here?

Edit: Using gfx pp enable 0 gives me 1 extra FPS when looking at the terrain. So that's not it either.

Did you try windowed mode yet? Lots of people are suggesting massive fps with that. I've heard its best to run games at your native desktop resolution too, so maybe turn down your windows desktop resolution if its 4k or whatever.

you want your gpu usage to be as high as possible. Its the cpu you dont want maxed.

I just wanted to stop and tell The Fun Pimps that this Alpha is perfect in my opinion! I wouldn’t change a thing. This game is so much fun!! I can’t stop playing it!! Well done Fun Pimps!! This is game I have been waiting for!! Thanks again for the great work!!

Managed to play 2 in game days so so far. I'm only playing on medium settings(same as A17) but the world looks gorgeous now. I've died a few times so far. I've had 2 ferals zombies appear on day 2 and got rekt. Died from infection and got food poisoning after eating my first boiled egg. 10/10 would recommend.

It typically takes 7 days to die from infection, but getting hit while infected raises how infected you are so some people die sooner than 7 days. Glad you love it!

Did you try windowed mode yet? Lots of people are suggesting massive fps with that. I've heard its best to run games at your native desktop resolution too, so maybe turn down your windows desktop resolution if its 4k or whatever.

Tried windows mode, didnt help. Running good old 1080p, same as in windows. RX480 8GB with a 4.2Ghz quadcore and 16GB ram. FPS will fluctuate between 20 and ~160 FPS depending how much terrain is on screen. (this is with the low quality preset)

I'm sure it'll get resolved soon enough, and turn out to be some tiny thing that has no logical reasoning behind it. :)

Edit:

Also, people saying they have no issues and people saying they *do* have fps issues is subjective. Some people are happy with 40 FPS after all...

@Doctor3D, what are some of the FPS numbers you're getting?

Archived