The new RWG is a gamekiller

playlessNamer

I wanted to skip that early storm on the alpha, started into A17 and then i have seen this map. This is the most horrible and ugly map i have ever seen in this game since A10! I generated my own map after this and its the exact same style, then i checked the thread: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?94171-Awesome-seeds-for-random-gen-ALPHA-17&p=934386&viewfull=1#post934386

and ALL MAPS ARE THE SAME!!!

Diagonal perfect straight streets diagonal over the map, gigantic dead zones, squaremiles of map without a single toilet poi, perfect 90° small streets to POI with the exact same gap between, more streetbugs and ugly roads i have ever seen before.

This is the livemap from the server: https://maps.letskautsch.de/#server=pveexp_1

No one is in west and east, do you wonder why? THERE IS NOTHING!

How much fun is it to drive a perfect straight road with perfect 90° positioned poi? There is no exploring fun anymore.

When i think some further and remember how epic the caves have been. I build my mine with love over weeks and after 100 hours playtime i started a new one, nicely build with stairs and signs and catwalks, rooms and stuff. Now its just a hole. There are ressources, 2 guys with a auger mak a gigantic hole in the world, thats the mining now!

Pimps, you have massive problem in your RWG section. I remember times the map was so wonderfull and now its broken. I cant call it otherwise than BROKEN. Its such broken i quitted A17 after 30 minutes. Every map looks the same. Thats not "random" world generation.

PLEASE check older versions of your game, explore caves in there, check the nice spreaded towns, short to medium long streets, the perfect randomness there.

Sry for the harsh tone but it really makes me quit the game for this alpha. No fun in this worlds.

@PlaylessNamer lol at the maps being a gamekiller... If you like the gameplay then the map wont stop you from having fun... heck even when their was alot of ocean biomes around i still enjoyed the game despite that annoyance. It feels like you are blowing this out of proportion. You quit after 30 minutes, umm you cant even go from one end to the next in the beginning in 30 minutes so how are you bored already... heck the buildings are so massive and dungeon like now adays that sometimes it takes 10-30 minutes to fully clear and loot one yet you quit after 30 minutes you say..... also if you are using fly mode then try NOT CHEATING and see how much more fun you have then. It is like in minecraft, once you cheat you start to get bored and lose all motivation on doing anything. The rwg does need work but the alpha 17 gameplay is so much better then the previous alphas that if you get bored after 30 minutes then you really have to ask yourself if this TYPE of game is really to your liking cuz it feels like you really arent into zombie survival sandbox games if you cant get past 30 minutes here.

have to agree with the mining though, i use to enjoy going underground and mining away even getting lost chasing that ore! but now it collapses so easy it just ends up being a giant hole in the ground and its not even really safe to mine like the old days. unless they fixed it in recent updates? i havnt played in about 2 weeks.

I dun know...

But I've had hundreds of hours of fun with A17 so far. I have put more time into this alpha then any other, even though it has lots of problems, including the hideous freeze stutters.

maybe you like the old RWG worlds better- but you gave up on A17 too quickly.

@PlaylessNamer lol at the maps being a gamekiller... If you like the gameplay then the map wont stop you from having fun... .

Map is freshed wiped and 30 players will surround the middle cities. Going to loot and find empty lootcontainers everywhere is the only multiplayerfeature you have there. 30 minutes was absolute enough and its really quitted till this is fixed. 50% of the map is empty and the rest looks horrible making me eye cancer.

Its absolute my type of game but its in horrible state actually. The new zombieintelligence is a run in loop disaster and this map gave me the rest because 30 people MP features effects your gameplay.

28 biomes alone on the west without a single poi, this is absolutely a gamekiller or better say a alpha killer and i am really sick of getting progress and loosing good stuff that was allready in the game like awesome rwg we had before.

have to agree with the mining though, i use to enjoy going underground and mining away even getting lost chasing that ore! but now it collapses so easy it just ends up being a giant hole in the ground and its not even really safe to mine like the old days. unless they fixed it in recent updates? i havnt played in about 2 weeks.

Yeah this bothers me as well. Don't know if it's been fixed, I don't do much underground anymore.

I hope this was just a temporary change.

RWG just isn't working in A17.

I'm hoping so also. I mean, in some respects it feels a lot better, less... "divided" I guess is the word I'm looking for between cities and empty zones, but the road generation, radio-tower proliferation and other defects with it at the moment, has me playing Navazgane for the first time since A10 I think (I had hoped to not play Navazgane again till Gold and have it all "be new" then).

I'm virtually certain that TFP is hard at work making improvements to it though, so I expect by .2 or .3 that I'll be able to switch back to RWG.

Map is freshed wiped and 30 players will surround the middle cities. Going to loot and find empty lootcontainers everywhere is the only multiplayerfeature you have there. 30 minutes was absolute enough and its really quitted till this is fixed. 50% of the map is empty and the rest looks horrible making me eye cancer.

Its absolute my type of game but its in horrible state actually. The new zombieintelligence is a run in loop disaster and this map gave me the rest because 30 people MP features effects your gameplay.

28 biomes alone on the west without a single poi, this is absolutely a gamekiller or better say a alpha killer and i am really sick of getting progress and loosing good stuff that was allready in the game like awesome rwg we had before.

maybe you just need a new world seed... try picking a name that isnt common cuz i had a crap load of cities in the experimental and a decent amount of cities in my stable seed so maybe you just got a crappy one.. that is kinda why we have the world generator so you can zoom around the map before you decide to go into it.... heck in my experiemental a17 seed, i had so many cities with very few in betweens... i had to go out of the way sometimes to find vast open spaces cuz there was only like a quarter or less biome in between major cities/towns

RWG is in a terrible place right now. I think everything that can be said about it has been said about it. I miss variety in this game.

Are all these a17 map names I'm seeing that sound semi-official actually randomly generated or did they add a bunch? I wonder because most of them seem at least as non-crazy as the better a16 RWGs.

They put this in so each map has a unique name based on the RWG seed. It's also so they don't expose the seed names so you can pull up the map in the previewer and know where everything is... of course you download all the data for a world when you first connect to it and all of it is more easily consumable than before.

I kinda wish TFP would sink some annual budget into a pure RWG developer. Someone who literally does nothing but optimizes, fixes, and adds options into RWG creation.

With RWG being such a popular feature and apparently being so complex, seems like a dedicated developer would be a good thing. I mean the list of features and bugs is super long with RWG right? Seems like something they should try to get much more "right" before pushing to Beta.

Patience guys. Just in case you missed this from kinyajuu 4 weeks ago in the dev diary thread.

To those going on about RWG right now, have patience. I work on gameplay systems too so I can't just spend hours upon hours on RWG right now. It's functional, the biome generator is running from xml again, now I need the time to clean it up. It's not a matter of not knowing what to do or what would look best. It never is. It's a matter of having the time to do it.

With the way RWG was created this release I'll be able to work on it without breaking worlds that players already have. With that though do realize, if there is a crafting bug, I have to work on it, not RWG. If there is a problem with buffs or effects or animations or progression, I have to work on those, not RWG. See where I'm going here? My time is at a premium and RWG will get it's love, just not right at this exact moment. There are bigger fish to fry than tweaking RWG to "perfection" right now.

When it comes to RWG, have faith. I have things in the fire, I just don't have time to finish them up prior to the holidays so I put in what I had ready to go and put the biome stuff back to the old a16 version until I get the new cellular automata (self sorting) biome code in place. Then snow and desert will never touch

and it's output looks very similar to that blobby image above that someone posted (already tested in a test project).

Yes, this issue is handled by a reliable person, so no matter how it looks terrible now - it will be fixed.

In addition, he said that he would return to work on RWG later.

I see the situation - as the A17 should not have been released as it is. (transition to the new engine).

But.

Because of the time has passed a lot - they were forced to release it.

;)

.....hmmm.....remember Windows Vista? - this is what no one needed, except the developers themselves.

Patience guys. Just in case you missed this from kinyajuu 4 weeks ago in the dev diary thread.

Ayup, which is why I am confident it'll be fixed. It's just unfortunate timing I guess that it was in the state of flux that it was when A17 dropped. I still expect, as before, to be able to switch my game from Nav back to RWG around 17.2 or .3 at the latest hopefully.

Tried a couple times the RWG maps, but didn't play too much in them. Sure they are fun, but currently i'm focusing on Nav and trying to explore it more as i never played it before. Considering that RWG will be better in the future, this only enables me to enjoy the game more as i won't curse on bad RWG, but go into it when it's ready. Add to it the fact that Nav is larger in A17 than in A16. Tried Nav before Experimental and ended up in the desert city SE corner of the map with a rad zone close to it. No it's way further and there's a lot more to explore around these parts.

Hello playlessNamer,

Have you tried Compo Pack?!?

It makes a difference! The Cities are HUGE! Please note that this is a 12k map. What I've found is that the areas in between the cities have very little if any POI's. We're only on day 8. One thing is that with Compo Pack you'll see 'new POI's.' Looks like you generated the entire map - so you'd have to wipe and start again. Looks like you should do that before hand - before going live. It doesn't fix A17 but it does help. OH! Give it a try! Single player - on your system. Generate a map with all known settings, then install Compo and try it again! I think you'll like it, or at least I hope you do!

OH YEAH! With the more complex world generation especially the "World Generation Seed" you can get 'bad maps.' I found one that had no large boulders and no 'nodes' as we saw with A16 - where there are a bunch of nodes grouped together. Looks like A17 is that way though - not many nodes; where the small boulders aren't grouped together but just near each other.

UPDATED:

But you do have to actively select "Random World" then that you get the 2nd set of options such as the World Generation Seed. You could try generating a map, then generate a new one with just changing either the World Seed or World Name. Apparently the World Seed is supposed to control the layout of the RWG Map, whereas GameName is supposed to control the 'layout' of things within that world.

Also - It looks like the bigger the world, the bigger the cities are! But the trade-off is that the areas in between the cities are relatively empty.

Archived