Pimps: please leave us some basic POIs

Feycat

Don't change EVERY POI into a dungeon, please. Leave us the ranger station, the forge house, a couple of crappy cabins. Let us have a couple POIs that won't murder us on day 1 and we can take them over for bases if we want.

I love those 2 POIs so much, every time I see the Pimps replacing others I cringe.

But there are regular old non quest POIs in game.

These starting houses you spawn next to and that other one with safe to the left after entering main door for example.

Rwg there is no "Spawn next to"

What i know is that i liked to start next to rubbleBuilding 07

In experimental they was too much with 70+

Now they are too less with 0-4 on a 8km² map

The Forgehouse is completly removed from the game ?

And then we can speak about rhe random factor.

I had several towns since first experimental with ONLY Dungeon style houses

But get me right, This is no "Ahh the world explodes" post, this is only my downwriten experience and the hope that the right ones read that and consider it next time they work on it

- - - Updated - - -

I do have one suggestion: Update POIs with a visual indication of their tier or difficulty. Maybe the color of the first flashlight? White or no flashlight, yellow, then red? Or White, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red?

in 99% the spikes at front are a good indicator

I think simple houses with sleepers out in plain view have got to be the most boring POI's there are. I groan whenever I find another one of those and I seem to find them everywhere so I don't even agree with the opinion that all the POI's are dungeon or even that too many of them are. I think people must be exaggerating this.

The ramshackle wilderness cabins and shacks will always be the boring simple POI's. You can always learn how to use the prefab editor and make a whole bunch of simple houses to import into the game and change your mix.

I think simple houses with sleepers out in plain view have got to be the most boring POI's there are. I groan whenever I find another one of those and I seem to find them everywhere so I don't even agree with the opinion that all the POI's are dungeon or even that too many of them are. I think people must be exaggerating this.

The ramshackle wilderness cabins and shacks will always be the boring simple POI's. You can always learn how to use the prefab editor and make a whole bunch of simple houses to import into the game and change your mix.

It might be boring but that's considered normal. Yes, the apocalypse just occurred and the zombies told each other to hide in walls. I'd rather have simple houses with normal rooms than ones that have zombies coming out of walls and falling from the ceiling any day. Don't forget about the ones with fall-through floors because that's what the majority of houses have nowadays...

Dungeon houses should be rare not a dime a dozen.

Totally agree with OP here. Having the majority of POI's be dungeons is depressing to me. If every POI was a dungeon (like I have heard is the plan) I seriously would just quit playin this game as I dont even enjoy looting them.

The starter houses might be "boring" for Roland to loot, but they serve more of a purpose than loot. They can be creatively rebuilt to cool bases, they often have forges, good starter shelters, good day 1 loot (dye, jars, cookpot, water, canned food)

They also give variety to the gameplay, If you are cautious type you might come to a town early and only be able to loot a few places in the whole town, If it goes further to having all dungeons, that player has nowhere to loot until later game so they are stuck killing zeds in the open world for many many hours.

Sure, and that's fine. You have about 20+ dungeon-style POIs to choose from.

I'm just asking that they leave a few alone, not that they stop making the cool new things. Add new dungeons instead of "converting" all the old designs.

Some of the new designs are open non-mazelike houses so I doubt they are going for 100% dungeon anyway.

There are still lots of commercial type brick buildings as well that might be twisty and turny on the inside but they have nice flat roofs that can be easily used by even the noobiest player as a safe haven-- probably through at least the first two blood moon nights. Many of them even have ladders to the roof so you don't have to give in to the allure of nerdpoling... ;)

Also, dungeon houses don't have to be 100% cleared. For first few days concerns you just need to go as far as the kitchen with its cupboards, sinks, ovens, and fridges. In and out without exploring second floors or sub-basements and you can find the essentials without too much risk.

Haha to each his own. I find 17 boring.

We have converted most A16 houses for the upcoming Ravenhearst release so those who DO like them will be able to see them in all its glory, just the way they remembered them.

Thank you Sinda :)

It seems that the few that don't like 17 will not be happy until they get 16 again. sigh

It might be boring but that's considered normal. Yes, the apocalypse just occurred and the zombies told each other to hide in walls. I'd rather have simple houses with normal rooms than ones that have zombies coming out of walls and falling from the ceiling any day. Don't forget about the ones with fall-through floors because that's what the majority of houses have nowadays...

Dungeon houses should be rare not a dime a dozen.

I agree with you 100%!

Zombies hiding in walls is just silly...

I agree with you 100%!

Zombies hiding in walls is just silly...

They're just there to scare the player. Once you've gained enough experience, you know what to look out for and how the level designers think. You develop a feeling for where a zombie hides.

Yes please randomize it somehow so there is often no zombie at all in a house, sometimes 1-2, sometimes more than that, and in extreme cases a house full of zeds. The current state doesn'nt make any sense, unless it was thanksgiving during the apocalypse or all citizens were just hardcore gamers that never went outside their home.

As for zeds behind breakable walls and floors breaking as you walk over them, these make me really sad. It's utterly predictable and ANNOYING. Doesn't give me more enjoyment, but less. This stuff also needs to be randomized and not be in every single house/treasure location.

They're just there to scare the player. Once you've gained enough experience, you know what to look out for and how the level designers think. You develop a feeling for where a zombie hides.

I don't mean I can't handle the dungeons.

I mean that people don't group up and hide in wardrobes after they have been bitten by zombies.. this is what makes it silly. The dungeons just doesn't make sense.

100% agree. I do love the POI dungeons, but I think making nearly every house/building like this is a bit tedious.

I miss just finding a standard house that I can turn into a base!

What dungeon style house exists that cannot be turned into a base? Give me seed and coordinates and I'll be happy to prove you wrong or to die being proven wrong myself.

I don't mean I can't handle the dungeons.

I mean that people don't group up and hide in wardrobes after they have been bitten by zombies.. this is what makes it silly. The dungeons just doesn't make sense.

But....people DO get bitten by zombies...?

I can think of a few fictional reasons why they might end up in rafters and in wardrobes that aren't any less plausible than the silly idea of zombies existing in the first place. Since we are making up the monsters it isn't beyond the pale to make up reasons for their behavior. It's all make believe. You don't like it and that's fine. I do and that's fine.

BTW, I often look up into rafters and shoot drapes and wardrobe panels and there is no zombie there. I think that's fantastic.

The ranger station is a nice POI as is for becoming a base.

Flagstone base, just fill in the windows and door. Upper floor for living, walkway around that can be converted to bars.

I love that place as an early base.

Forge house (the one that had the balcony, and side door with stairs?)

Not a bad layout, but working forge. mmmm.

Besides, the dungeon POI are used in quests, so while we could use them as a base, if we then take a quest that sends us there, we're screwed.

Currently, we have no way of telling where the quest is going to send us exactly until after we take it.

What dungeon style house exists that cannot be turned into a base? Give me seed and coordinates and I'll be happy to prove you wrong or to die being proven wrong myself.

But....people DO get bitten by zombies...?

hehe :) yes, after accepting the first "what if", (if there were zombies) ;-)

I'm just saying what I feel right now.

I will continue to play with an open mind.

Thank you for responding

In the developer commentary for one of the Half Life games, one of the devs makes the comment that - after observing their playtesters - a headcrab in every vent was boring, but a headcrab in one vent in five was terrifying.

I think the same principle applies to the zombies "hiding" in walls and dropping down from ceilings and the like. They should be rare enough to get you paranoid and occasionally take you by surprise. If too many buildings have them, they become routine and lose their shine.

Archived