Is it starting to be too much?

dan

Personally, I think the game is getting too complicated. You have to have a base with a dozen or more chests just to keep things organized. Yes, it adds more realism, but adds so much more tedious and grindy things. I like the updates for the improved graphics, better rwg, and more variety of zombies/animals. But with all the additional content it just gets to be too much for a casual gamer.

I started in Alpha 8, and enjoyed the game up through probably alpha 14ish.. I view the game as a survival game, not a 'Lets build the most extravagant base ever with spinning zombie death blades and gun turrets.

I put around 800 hours into the game pre alpha 14, and maybe 200 after. It just doesn't have that same feel as it used to. I know I can go back and play earlier versions, and I probably will. But I will miss the some of the fixes and improvements and of course I'll be alone because who wants to play a version where they can't build their own helicopter and paint every wall of their extravagant home a different color?

And before anyone says to just mod it, I know it's possible. But I'd spend more time modding out the things I don't want than actually playing the game, and by the time I finished with the mod a17 will be out and it will have to be done all over again.

i know this is a copout... but you can always scrap stuff you dont want to have... or sell it at a trader...

I also have the 10box problem... but I LOVE how there is always something you could use to make your base better... better walls... better traps... better guns... and look nice... arches... paint... every sort of decorative item...

and that is just for the base and not your survivor...

I love that it gets more "deep" or "rich".

You can still survive fine just by building some walls and some spikes and try to survive.

I know that there is a critical mass where it gets "too much" (for example if you would have to have screws and bolts to build stuff and then had to ad the screw nuts to harden it and so on and so forth...

but they actually made stuff like concrete a bit easier to build... and I feel like they hit the ideal spot most of the time... at least for me :D

I don't want the game to be dumbed down, just less time having to micromanage 1000's of items. I'm glad they removed the weapon parts, although, honestly, I haven't played much in the last year or so that I don't even remember that. I remember finding only parts of different quality, then having to find a book, then a build a workbench, combine parts to make better parts, then putting together the completed weapon. How often would you really find weapon parts and not full weapons from a realism standpoint?

I know a lot of it is my fault, I usually get frustrated by day 20 or sooner that I quit. So many boxes of springs, electronics, hubcaps, mechanical parts, etc, and have no clue what they are used for, I feel like a hoarder.. I run out, find one car, by the time it's taken apart my backpack is full and I have to go back and empty it, then off to find more stuff..

Of course I don't get to choose how the game is created, I just have my opinions. But in my opinion I think time would be better spent making zombies a bit smarter (climbing, digging, etc) than a way to create some new toy like a helicopter. Maybe make building an underground base not an instant 'I win' base where nothing can touch you.

When A17 releases

1: no more weapon parts. Full guns with weapon mods to put on them.

2: AI improvements. Zombies are smarter and harder.

3: because it was lost in all the pages I can't remember if it will be in A17 or still being worked on. MM said no place is safe even underground.

As far as all the items go not much of that isn't going to change. You might need to find out what things are for and anything you don't want just scrap it or leave it on the ground.

Of course I don't get to choose how the game is created, I just have my opinions. But in my opinion I think time would be better spent making zombies a bit smarter (climbing, digging, etc) than a way to create some new toy like a helicopter. Maybe make building an underground base not an instant 'I win' base where nothing can touch you.

They're spending time on those things, too.

It sounds to me like you got used to taking advantage of everything the game has to offer. There's nothing wrong with that. But now, as the game continues to expand in breadth, it could be useful to adjust your mindset. You don't have to do everything, especially as a self-described casual, survival-focused player. If it's too much of a time investment to bother getting into electricity, for example, you've still got your trusty spikes and moats that you've used in past Alphas.

In short, a less completionist approach to the game may serve you well.

Interesting..... someone who wants the game simpler.

I have to admit, I never expected that.

I'm personally hoping there's a lot more stuff [like colonies] coming but then.... the OP might have a point.

If TFP are going to add more things... maybe some others really do need to come out.

I'm a huge believer in the old saying "Gameplay above all else".

Sometimes grindy things that add realism don't necessarily add fun.

I'll have to mull on that a little.

~Lucky

Tribute-and-Farewell-to-A16-Plus-bonus-tips-video

They're spending time on those things, too.

It sounds to me like you got used to taking advantage of everything the game has to offer. There's nothing wrong with that. But now, as the game continues to expand in breadth, it could be useful to adjust your mindset. You don't have to do everything, especially as a self-described casual, survival-focused player. If it's too much of a time investment to bother getting into electricity, for example, you've still got your trusty spikes and moats that you've used in past Alphas.

In short, a less completionist approach to the game may serve you well.

It sounds like A17 will improve my personal game play. And I do skip a lot of items that I don't know what they are used for, or won't use, like plastic. I do scrap most items. I do, however, like the electricity to some extent. It's totally feasible in a survival situation like that to rig a few car batteries together for lights, or a trip wire alarm. The spinning death blades and auto gun turrets with motion sensors are a bit of a stretch though.

I haven't been reading the forums and don't know much about the upcoming alpha, but I do hope they add some better noise sensitivity. It should be a beacon for zombies when they hear a gunshot, but I can stand around outside shooting a shotgun into the air and get no attention from the z's... It should also have the opposite effect on animals, make hunting for food more realistic. And one day..... Fishing...

I share the fear that they're making the game too grindy.

It sounds like it's going to be harder to melee the Zeds, and that they will dish out more damage in melee.

Exploring POIs is being made more hazardous with stealthily sited zombie sleepers, and break-out floors to drop players into trouble.

Meanwhile the new stamina/attack system risks even more rapid depletion of strength during a fight.

There's more things to do, and now loads more effort needs to go into base prep, yet still no 'endpoint' objective justify all the efforts.

Expect players to start demanding a Save/Load feature as a way to minimize all the dying their character is going to endure... or just forget it's a survival game.

Oops. You just lost casual gamer status with this line. I believed you up until this moment. ;)

I don't build underground. I have found those underground bunkers and setup a base in them, but it's way too easy to live in, so now I usually just look for a prefab somewhere and try to fortify it.

And I do skip a lot of items that I don't know what they are used for, or won't use, like plastic.

In your inventory, click on the item that you don't know what it is for, then click on "recipes." It will pull up all of the things that item is used to make.

To me, it's not complicated enough. After a while, you have everything there is to have and you're so strong that nothing will beat you or your base, and then the only thing left to do is to keep exploring and looting POIs, but for no real reason since you already have everything.

I'd love for way more things to do and discover.

"I started in Alpha 8, and enjoyed the game up through probably alpha 14ish.. I view the game as a survival game, not a 'Lets build the most extravagant base ever with spinning zombie death blades and gun turrets."

I've played since the game was released on steam and have loved every build. Some features I miss like being able to fit through one block height that popped in for one of the builds, but if you dont like some of the changes you can always set the game to run on stable version of 14. Just right click the game in your steam library, go to properties, then betas. Click the drop down menu and select 14.7 and you'll be back in zombie heaven.

So, for me the best part of the game is reaching that status where you have everything and the hard work you put into getting there is the satisfaction. As I get better and find better tactics, I play through again at harder and harder difficulty.

So while our two styles of gameplay differ, what really needs to be resolved? You have the obvious choice of simply running around and throwing away the stuff you dont want to use. But if they change the game, I cannot simply 'choose' to use items no longer available.

So, for me the best part of the game is reaching that status where you have everything and the hard work you put into getting there is the satisfaction. As I get better and find better tactics, I play through again at harder and harder difficulty.

So while our two styles of gameplay differ, what really needs to be resolved? You have the obvious choice of simply running around and throwing away the stuff you dont want to use. But if they change the game, I cannot simply 'choose' to use items no longer available.

What items are you referring to? Most items and recipes you can add to the game yourself via config files. This game is one of the easiest games to mod that I've ever seen.

Too complicated eh....

You could have a point.

We should petition to have gamepad only support, and the 4 buttons mapping to multiple actions depending on context.

Also we need micro transactions and p2w loot crates. Plus a "deluxe collectors edition" for an extra £100 that comes with a pre-built base, 12 boxes full of exotic and rare items and all skills maxed out.

O yes, and instead of adding more complicated content I only now want skins as well - paid for of course - I'd say £5 per skin sounds reasonable.

Back to your console boy - your couch is getting cold o/

To me, it's not complicated enough. After a while, you have everything there is to have and you're so strong that nothing will beat you or your base, and then the only thing left to do is to keep exploring and looting POIs, but for no real reason since you already have everything.

I'd love for way more things to do and discover.

Same.

All that hard work to build a great base and gather all the extra goodies.

There needs to be a "next".

That's why I want to see player owned colonies and NPC owned ones.

You've then got people to care and provide for and possible wars, politics, trading.... etc.

That still wouldn't be enough though.

Having a Zombie virus that mutates means that you are constantly on the lookout for new treatments.

It could be a never ending quest to find medical items/ingredients to combat it.

Then you've always got something pulling out of your comfy home.

~Lucky

Same.

All that hard work to build a great base and gather all the extra goodies.

There needs to be a "next".

That's why I want to see player owned colonies and NPC owned ones.

You've then got people to care and provide for and possible wars, politics, trading.... etc.

That still wouldn't be enough though.

Having a Zombie virus that mutates means that you are constantly on the lookout for new treatments.

It could be a never ending quest to find medical items/ingredients to combat it.

Then you've always got something pulling out of your comfy home.

~Lucky

Even if colonies can't be owned by players, it would still be nice to see them in the game and then decide if you want to destroy them and loot it all, reducing your reputation with npcs and traders, or help them out with quests, zombies or bandits for gained reputation. Bandit settlements that you can raid would be very cool too.

As far as the kickstarter goals go, npc and bandit controlled settlements are planned and Madmole mentioned a reputation system that's based on your actions too, so let's hope it turns out great.

Archived