Is it starting to be too much?

dan

Too complicated eh....

You could have a point.

We should petition to have gamepad only support, and the 4 buttons mapping to multiple actions depending on context.

Also we need micro transactions and p2w loot crates. Plus a "deluxe collectors edition" for an extra £100 that comes with a pre-built base, 12 boxes full of exotic and rare items and all skills maxed out.

O yes, and instead of adding more complicated content I only now want skins as well - paid for of course - I'd say £5 per skin sounds reasonable.

Back to your console boy - your couch is getting cold o/

You completely misunderstood my post. Maybe I should have been more specific since you obviously can't understand unless it's spelled out in detail. I like complicated, I like difficult, I like the game to be a challenge and to get killed often. What I don't like is the insane amount of items in the game.

In a typical game for me, the first couple game weeks I spend in some run-down shack trying to collect resources to survive. Food, water, etc. I enjoy the realism of it. The thought of building my own helicopter from car parts and flying around is 100% unrealistic to me and breaks the whole survival aspect of the game. Building a big, fancy base that's fully painted and decorated is also a bit unrealistic as decorating your base would be the last thing on your mind when trying to survive a zombie apocalypse.

As far as going back to my console? I don't own a console. Actually I did have a Nintendo 64 back like 20 years ago or whenever. But even then it was not something I bought, someone traded it to me for some work I did for them. So if you have nothing to add but insults and your fanboi crap, why not just go back to the a17 thread and keep hitting F5 until it comes out.

You completely misunderstood my post. Maybe I should have been more specific since you obviously can't understand unless it's spelled out in detail. I like complicated, I like difficult, I like the game to be a challenge and to get killed often. What I don't like is the insane amount of items in the game.

In a typical game for me, the first couple game weeks I spend in some run-down shack trying to collect resources to survive. Food, water, etc. I enjoy the realism of it. The thought of building my own helicopter from car parts and flying around is 100% unrealistic to me and breaks the whole survival aspect of the game. Building a big, fancy base that's fully painted and decorated is also a bit unrealistic as decorating your base would be the last thing on your mind when trying to survive a zombie apocalypse.

As far as going back to my console? I don't own a console. Actually I did have a Nintendo 64 back like 20 years ago or whenever. But even then it was not something I bought, someone traded it to me for some work I did for them. So if you have nothing to add but insults and your fanboi crap, why not just go back to the a17 thread and keep hitting F5 until it comes out.

You're evidently not familiar with a concept that we in the civilised world call "sarcasm". You're pretty familiar with concepts like "defensiveness" though, so maybe you'll get it soon enough.

I personally think the game has gotten better. I've played since Alpha 7 and each alpha that has come has only improved the game. The more things to do the better.

As others have suggested it might be time to seek out a new game.

I personally think the game has gotten better. I've played since Alpha 7 and each alpha that has come has only improved the game. The more things to do the better.

As others have suggested it might be time to seek out a new game.

I like a lot of the improvements of the game. My main issue (as I've said before) is the ever growing number of items and objects in the game and having to have a dozen or more containers just to keep things sorted.

I don't understand why if I have a personal complaint about the game that everyone tells me to just find another game. I have over 1000 hours into this one, and I do have and play a lot of other games. But I have every right to voice my opinion even if it goes against 99.9% of everyone else. And it doesn't mean I should or will just find a different game. Like I said earlier, I've hardly touched the game in the last year. Maybe A17, with removing the endless amounts of weapon parts, will help to ease some of the clutter that builds up when out looting.

TFP do listen to players, of course they are going to side with the majority, but they still want to hear opinions. For example, I always play solo and desperately wanted changes for the way crops didn't grow if no one was near and a pause button. I expressed my desire for these things, others did as well, and before long we had them. I have a real life, kids, work, etc, so I need to pause often and that was the single best addition (for me) that the game has ever added.

For me I like all the stuff. Part of the fun for me is organizing labled boxes and acquiring all the loot.

Just like some people enjoy building elaborate bases, while others enjoy rushing to max level. We all have our preferences and gameplay style.

I like the updates for the improved graphics, better rwg, and more variety of zombies/animals. But with all the additional content it just gets to be too much for a casual gamer.

Dan, you'd probably be better off with one of the games out there than lean more toward being a FPS. They are better at the things you seem to like. Those games do fall a little short with regard to the RWG, so maybe that's the one element of 7D2D that's keeping you playing, but the complexity of this game is here to stay. It's what makes it unique. As one person had said, much of what you don't care for can simply be ignored.

How often would you really find weapon parts and not full weapons from a realism standpoint?

How hard is it to use a little imagination and allow for the notion that the game is streamlining this process?...

- Opening up a safe and finding that water has seeped in over 30 years and left the shotgun you find completely useless (the parts aren't even "tan")

- Due to your experience as a scavenger however, you notice that the shotgun's stock is still serviceable. With a little effort, it'll qualify as a low-orange quality part.

- You break away the crumbling, useless weapon parts from the stock and toss it in your pack.

-Morloc

You dont have to build underground, hell you dont have to build on stilts. It all depends on your playstyle or how you want to limit yourself. In 16, I limited myself to just a spiked club and a shotgun. What Im not in favor of is players telling other players how they should play or wine when a player stays underground during the horde and then scream and complain like a 5 year old to have digging zombies because X player isnt doing the horde "their way".

You dont have to build underground, hell you dont have to build on stilts. It all depends on your playstyle or how you want to limit yourself. In 16, I limited myself to just a spiked club and a shotgun. What Im not in favor of is players telling other players how they should play or wine when a player stays underground during the horde and then scream and complain like a 5 year old to have digging zombies because X player isnt doing the horde "their way".

Like I said, everyone plays differently. And I honestly don't care how other people play because it doesn't effect the way I do. I also don't understand why so many people are pushing me to play something else. I have over 1000+ hours into this game, been playing it for a few years, and enjoy the game, I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to because of the grindy lootfest it's feels like lately.

My playstyle has changed a lot. I used to just find a spot with a nice view, or that has some strategic location to build defenses and build a very modest base. Now I have to plan my location by distance to traders and large towns because I know I'll be spending a majority of my time searching for items. You can't get far in the game if you don't find a wrench and hammer because you have to have them to build a workbench which is needed to build so many other things.

And before anyone says I can still build anywhere and just make a minibike to get around faster, I don't like vehicles in the game. I like more realism in games and using a wrench to take out a car engine, throwing it in my backpack and going back to my base to build my own motorcycle from scratch is just too far fetched for me. So I ignore it as I do a lot of things.

I do believe that in A17 when weapon parts are removed it will help a lot with the inventory hoarding issue.

doubt it will help the inventory hoarding issues. I still make alot of boxes regardless to seperate everything so I can find it better. NEED my wall of inventory. All weapon mods do is replace the parts in reality.

Remember the days where you had to dig for raw materials like iron.. Now you just scrap so much stuff that you never have to worry about it. Take a car apart, scrap everything and you're set for iron for a while.

Maybe with weapon mods you won't have to combine them together to get higher quality versions, less hoarding. I'm not sure how many different types of mods they will have for weapons. But when you have 3-4 different rifles, each with 4-5 parts, same with pistols, shotguns, etc. It really adds up to a lot of pieces.

I also don't understand why so many people are pushing me to play something else.

Well...I suggested it (in good faith) because...

I think the game is getting too complicated.

it just gets to be too much for a casual gamer.

I started in Alpha 8, and enjoyed the game up through probably alpha 14ish..

I view the game as a survival game,

[i want] less time having to micromanage 1000's of items.

I usually get frustrated by day 20 or sooner that I quit.

I do skip a lot of items that I don't know what they are used for, or won't use, like plastic.

What I don't like is the insane amount of items in the game.

I've hardly touched the game in the last year.

I don't like vehicles in the game.

This was also a bit weird:

I know I can go back and play earlier versions, and I probably will. But I will miss the some of the fixes and improvements and of course I'll be alone because who wants to play a version where they can't...

I always play solo

-Morloc

I hear what the OP is saying.. I too find the more recent builds to be less enjoyable than the earlier ones. Matter of fact I started up an Alpha 10.4 and an Alpha 11.6 dedicated server the past week and am having a blast playing them. The environment and ambient sounds in 10.4 alone put the more recent 15/16 to shame. As for zombies, don't even get me started on these sleeper zeds.. lol.. Hoping 17 reignites some of the excitement of the earlier alphas.

Throwing in the stale meme of an answer: "Just mod it". TFP more or less seem to promise the game will stay fully accessible to be modded and while mods adding more content seem to be more popular, I'm sure some "retro" or "redux" overhauls will pop up too.

Throwing in the stale meme of an answer: "Just mod it". TFP more or less seem to promise the game will stay fully accessible to be modded and while mods adding more content seem to be more popular, I'm sure some "retro" or "redux" overhauls will pop up too.

Yeah but unfortunately so much has been ripped out of the game that no mod will ever make it retro enough. At least we still have the old revisions in the beta branch to revert to, but I've also backed them all up just in case someone gets the idea of removing them in the future.. Back to killing bees.. err hornets :)

From all arguments I agree only with one point - sometimes there is to much of micromanagement for chests.

There were same problems in Terraria, but then devs introduced "Quick Stack" (and restock) feature, which scans nearby chests, finds where appropriate items are stored and stores your items in the same chest. Now no one complains about that "too much of inventory management" in mentioned game, everyone is happy and people forgot about that chaotic mess with chests.

Please no :(

Being overwhelmed by all of the various craftable items and lootables is at the core of what makes this game so magical at first. You can play for hundreds of hours and still find new things, it's truly amazing. Please don't go down the road of simplifying the game. The complexity is part of the draw.

In 16 I hardly ever went into buildings. I found all the loot I needed from trash, tree stumps, cars, trash cans, player vending machines, the traders and the like. Wasnt about to be killed by some jittery feral zombie that once I kill respawns back in the same room to kill me because im looting. Or the best when the server setting is walk at day, run at night and you have zombies that run during the day. Yes yes I know the old ferals ran during the day but the server setting is walk day/run night.

Simply not possible in my book.

That may be just me, but there's no level of complexity a game could reach that would be a negative for me.

well, not JUST you;). But thats coming from someone who adds mods to dwarf fortress for ‘extra stuff’ so while it means you’re not alone one might wonder if you wanna be seen in my company ;) :grin:

edit: not just US. well i’m sure theres a special wing for people just like us. lets hope they have boardgames. grin.

Building a big, fancy base that's fully painted and decorated is also a bit unrealistic as decorating your base would be the last thing on your mind when trying to survive a zombie apocalypse.

You don’t know my wife ;). Very fond of her creature comforts. As soon as survival was somewhat secured shed be looking to make it ‘nicer’. btw painting increases durability (well maybe not so muchnin dry places like arrizone - leave ♥♥♥♥ unpainted here and it rots away in less then 2 years.

you maybe right about wallpapering and perhaps large fancy windows ... but just dont make those then?

and theres alteady a mod out that stick to ‘primitive’ so that should suit your flavour without having resort to modding.

(you can ever resort to roleplaying it. despite all the hand ooks in the would i would likely not be able to buld a car even if my life literally depended on it)

I don't want the game to be dumbed down, just less time having to micromanage 1000's of items. I'm glad they removed the weapon parts, although, honestly, I haven't played much in the last year or so that I don't even remember that. I remember finding only parts of different quality, then having to find a book, then a build a workbench, combine parts to make better parts, then putting together the completed weapon. How often would you really find weapon parts and not full weapons from a realism standpoint?

I know a lot of it is my fault, I usually get frustrated by day 20 or sooner that I quit. So many boxes of springs, electronics, hubcaps, mechanical parts, etc, and have no clue what they are used for, I feel like a hoarder.. I run out, find one car, by the time it's taken apart my backpack is full and I have to go back and empty it, then off to find more stuff..

Of course I don't get to choose how the game is created, I just have my opinions. But in my opinion I think time would be better spent making zombies a bit smarter (climbing, digging, etc) than a way to create some new toy like a helicopter. Maybe make building an underground base not an instant 'I win' base where nothing can touch you.

They should give us the ability to eventually have vans or even trucks which have massive amounts of storage capacity, so you can make long travels then come back to your base loaded instead of constantly worring of your backback being full.

Personally, I think the game is getting too complicated. You have to have a base with a dozen or more chests just to keep things organized. Yes, it adds more realism, but adds so much more tedious and grindy things. I like the updates for the improved graphics, better rwg, and more variety of zombies/animals. But with all the additional content it just gets to be too much for a casual gamer.

I started in Alpha 8, and enjoyed the game up through probably alpha 14ish.. I view the game as a survival game, not a 'Lets build the most extravagant base ever with spinning zombie death blades and gun turrets.

I put around 800 hours into the game pre alpha 14, and maybe 200 after. It just doesn't have that same feel as it used to. I know I can go back and play earlier versions, and I probably will. But I will miss the some of the fixes and improvements and of course I'll be alone because who wants to play a version where they can't build their own helicopter and paint every wall of their extravagant home a different color?

And before anyone says to just mod it, I know it's possible. But I'd spend more time modding out the things I don't want than actually playing the game, and by the time I finished with the mod a17 will be out and it will have to be done all over again.

dude, play fortnite man, i dont have any way to say that more politely. please don't dumb down this game, there are SOOOOOOOOOOOO many dumbed down games for the masses, play those. if you dont want to build a base, don't, but don't take that away from everyone else because they want to play, it's incredibly selfish and it's leading to the destruction of the gaming market. 5 years, we'll all be playing different versions of battle royales.

and p.s I have tons of casual players in my community, and none of them share your sentiment. it's only you finding it too complicated, please dont speak for them.

From all arguments I agree only with one point - sometimes there is to much of micromanagement for chests.

There were same problems in Terraria, but then devs introduced "Quick Stack" (and restock) feature, which scans nearby chests, finds where appropriate items are stored and stores your items in the same chest. Now no one complains about that "too much of inventory management" in mentioned game, everyone is happy and people forgot about that chaotic mess with chests.

and this is why the game is very popular for children, and why 7 days does really well in a adult audience.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember the days where you had to dig for raw materials like iron.. Now you just scrap so much stuff that you never have to worry about it. Take a car apart, scrap everything and you're set for iron for a while.

Maybe with weapon mods you won't have to combine them together to get higher quality versions, less hoarding. I'm not sure how many different types of mods they will have for weapons. But when you have 3-4 different rifles, each with 4-5 parts, same with pistols, shotguns, etc. It really adds up to a lot of pieces.

Sorry dude, but when you try to argue realism in a voxalized zombie apocolypse, you lose your feet your standing on for that arguement. realism's out the window. Show me one survival game that makes things "real". if it were "real" the game would be VASTLY more complex than you would even begin to tolerate. What you're considering "realistic" is not really, it's simply wanting to dumb down the game. If this game were to be more realistic, you'd be spending hours carving ahand axe out of stone, instead of slapping it together.

You get one or the other, real or easy. You can't have both.

Archived